Line combinations?

SOOPAVILLIN

Which line combinations do you guys think we should use with the current roster?

Patches-Pleks-Gio

Palushaj-Eller*(1)-AK46*(2)

DD*(1)-Gomez--Cole*(2)

Moen-Engqvist-Darche

(*interchangeable)

Gorges-PK

Gill-Diaz

Emelin-Weber

With Eller back, I think when Cammy returns we should send down Engqvist, and keep Pulashaj.

Spacek should rotate with Emelin upon his return, also down the road, when we get D reinforcements, I'd like to see Gill play less and keep him for the playoffs.

Suggestions?

I just want to see see two basic rules. First and foremost I don't want to see darche, Moen and enquist on the top 3 lines. Secomdly, I want our top 3 centers to be pleks, Eller and Gomez.

I think as long as the penguin would stick with these two rules I can live with his line combos - although I do have my preferences. But given that damn penguins track record, I think we are going to see darche and Moen on the two top lines and the PP. If the penguin continues to use Cole the way he has up to now, Cole will be a bigger bust in Montreal then he was in Edmonton. You don't sign a guy to the type of deal the Habs signed him to and then use him they way they are using him.

I just don't get bow the penguin is called a defensive coach when they give away the puck so much and can only win if the goalie stands on his head and the team scores on the PP. 5 on 5 this team has sucked for the past two years and thus year looks to be no different.

I guess this will be the third year in a row where I'm going to be complaining about the damn Penquin!!!!!

my suggestion is:

AK--plex--camo (pulashaj)

gio--gomer--cole

DD--eller-- pacio

moen-- enquivst-- darche

-pulashaj unless proven to be successful during cammallerri's layoff gets sent back upon #13's return.

-enquivst will stay with the team all season barring trades and will continue to feature until white centers the fourth line

-i think our ace this season will be the emergence of eller... but he needs quality with him. hence, paciorettty and DD a young talented hungry line that will push our vet line

- cole was brought in to crash and bang... the pint size all heart gionta does it already. let gomez center these 2 & create an "ageless LOL" all american line that will feel the inner pressure from plex/ camo/ kosty and the kid line!

our defense is an utter disaster and i dont think it can be fixed just patched up right now

gill- gorges

emelin- subban

weber- diaz

on the PP.... our bread and butter has been 2 left handed players on the point. left side quarterbacks the PP right side has the set up for the cross body one timer who can also feed the puck down low ... e.g markov w/ souray, schnieder, striet etc... now we have subban on the left side w/ a right handed one timer... we need a quarterback on the right point who is right handed aka Diaz.. he's already on the right point on the 2nd pairing so martin has it half right but he's with weber and should move up with subban! plex should go back to playing the half boards or down low on the 1st unit!

I think Engqvist is ideal for fourth line duties, as long as we roll 4 lines most of the time. I also think its time to break up Gomez and Gio, that was actually what got me thinking about our lines in the first place to start this thread. Gomez needs to get away from top D. And Gio looks like he could use a change up as well. Especially now that we have big bodies who can play on the top lines. Darche needs to get back to where he was last year, or he will be the odd man out when White returns.

I have never really complained about JM, cause the results where there, but so far (I know its early) I haven't agreed with much SO FAR.

Habs29 I just recently got that Dryden book, and what a excellent read. Highly recommended.

Engqvist is 24 years old, its now or never for him. I don't think he'll ever be an offensive force so I don't see the point of sending him down.

His upside is what it is. He has to win faceoffs, and play good Defence or there is no place for him.

He hasn't been that bad in the regular season to be honest.

Engqvist is 24 years old, its now or never for him. I don't think he'll ever be an offensive force so I don't see the point of sending him down.

His upside is what it is. He has to win faceoffs, and play good Defence or there is no place for him.

He hasn't been that bad in the regular season to be honest.

Agreed, and I think he gives us the option to roll 4 lines more often, and take some Pk time off of top lines.

I think Engqvist is ideal for fourth line duties, as long as we roll 4 lines most of the time. I also think its time to break up Gomez and Gio, that was actually what got me thinking about our lines in the first place to start this thread. Gomez needs to get away from top D. And Gio looks like he could use a change up as well. Especially now that we have big bodies who can play on the top lines. Darche needs to get back to where he was last year, or he will be the odd man out when White returns.

I have never really complained about JM, cause the results where there, but so far (I know its early) I haven't agreed with much SO FAR.

Habs29 I just recently got that Dryden book, and what a excellent read. Highly recommended.

I read the book when he first released it - I was in junior high then. Actually got his autograph at his book signing back then. Greatest hockey book and possibly greatest sports book ever!

I read the book when he first released it - I was in junior high then. Actually got his autograph at his book signing back then. Greatest hockey book and possibly greatest sports book ever!

Totally agree. I always enjoy columns or interviews with Dryden, and Im not much of a book reader, but I could not put this one down. Its so honest and descriptive, insightful, intelligent. A great book by a great man. :clap:

Agree with not having Moen and Darche on the top 6 or even 9, but JM loves the vets and gives them lots of time and chances because they are safe.

All I really care about is if they win, of course it would be nice to be the puck possession team that the wings and pens are and how fast they play in the neutral zone.

But JM is the best coach the Habs have had in a long time and there is no one else that can replace him, if we all believe that they will not hire an English only speaking coach (which I LOATHE)

Agree with not having Moen and Darche on the top 6 or even 9, but JM loves the vets and gives them lots of time and chances because they are safe.

All I really care about is if they win, of course it would be nice to be the puck possession team that the wings and pens are and how fast they play in the neutral zone.

But JM is the best coach the Habs have had in a long time and there is no one else that can replace him, if we all believe that they will not hire an English only speaking coach (which I LOATHE)

Yeah I agree that we don't have many options for coach, and I sure don't want another rookie coach. That was a decade wasted. I just hop Jm adjusts and adapts. Im also getting sick of the shot blocking, Price is a good goalie. And plays better with a higher workload, and good view of the puck. Shot blocking should be primarily for the Pk. I don't wanna see Markov blocking shots or PK. Gill and Gorges are good at it, and that's enough. Shot blocking injuries bother me cause there kind of pointless. Price is our shot blocker.

Yeah I agree that we don't have many options for coach, and I sure don't want another rookie coach. That was a decade wasted. I just hop Jm adjusts and adapts. Im also getting sick of the shot blocking, Price is a good goalie. And plays better with a higher workload, and good view of the puck. Shot blocking should be primarily for the Pk. I don't wanna see Markov blocking shots or PK. Gill and Gorges are good at it, and that's enough. Shot blocking injuries bother me cause there kind of pointless. Price is our shot blocker.

Well do not hold your breath on either issue, JM does not adapt to the new game, like many new young coaches have (Bylsma, Babcock, Boucher)

AS for the shot blocking its not just the blocking of shots that is important but if you make your opponent believe you will block a shot they may become more selective and passive when shooting.

Shot blocking also ensures you are always putting yourself between your opponent and the net. Its part of the defensive strategy that keeps the opponents shots to the perimeter.

With your positioning you ensure that the opponent can't just walk in.

Think about it, if you move out of the way of shots (to let price see them)... then all the opponent is gonna do is fake the shot... get you moving out of the way, and then walk past you and into a better scoring area, and a better position to take a shot one on one with the goalie.

The only question that matters with JM is: have his teams maxed out their potential? Looking at the overall results from the last two years, the answer seems to me a resounding YES. You can quibble over this or that decision (e.g., I agree Pleks on the point is a debacle) but in terms of the big picture - overall results - he has been impeccable.

Dryden's book is the bomb. It's so deftly organized. Very impressive.

I'm not doubting the effectiveness of shot blocking, I'm just saying it's not for everyone. And just how it's predictable to get past the D if there not blocking. It's equally predictable. If u know there gonna block. Many of our goals allowed price is screened by his own teammate. Also predictable.But like CC said the results are their.

The only question that matters with JM is: have his teams maxed out their potential? Looking at the overall results from the last two years, the answer seems to me a resounding YES. You can quibble over this or that decision (e.g., I agree Pleks on the point is a debacle) but in terms of the big picture - overall results - he has been impeccable.

Dryden's book is the bomb. It's so deftly organized. Very impressive.

Again, i seem to disagree with you on JM and Plekanec on the point is just one of many moves (Moan on top six) which i just dont understand. Is he the worst coach, of course not, but would the team be better off without him, i have to say yes (but just my opinion).

Again, i seem to disagree with you on JM and Plekanec on the point is just one of many moves (Moan on top six) which i just dont understand. Is he the worst coach, of course not, but would the team be better off without him, i have to say yes (but just my opinion).

So, in your opinion, given the roster we had, we would definitely have gone to the Finals in 2010 and gotten to the second round last season, if only we'd had a different coach?

Well here are the actual lines from practice this morning

Eller - Plekanec - Cole

Moen - Gomez - Gionta

Pacioretty - Desharnais - AK

Darche - Engqvist - Palushaj

I don't mind that to be honest.... though I'd switch Eller and Patches... (so Eller would be at centre)... this isn't that bad though.

Well here are the actual lines from practice this morning Eller - Plekanec - Cole Moen - Gomez - Gionta Pacioretty - Desharnais - AK Darche - Engqvist - Palushaj I don't mind that to be honest.... though I'd switch Eller and Patches... (so Eller would be at centre)... this isn't that bad though.

JM also moved Pleks back to forward on the PP (apparently on the wing), with Weber and Subban manning the points on the first wave.

So, in your opinion, given the roster we had, we would definitely have gone to the Finals in 2010 and gotten to the second round last season, if only we'd had a different coach?

We got to semi finals DESPITE having Martin as coach, not because of him.

We also got there thanks to; likely because of Muller's help with players, and Cammalleri had a remakable likely not to be repeated scoring barrage (till Philly), Gill (PK play) and Halak (stoning everyone) and last year we backed into into playoffs as the lowest scoring team in a very very weak Eastern Conferance. So i do not give him as much credit as you do (am i right or wrong, i dont know, but i am just giving my opinion).I think if Kirk Muller, or say the coach from Buffalo or Nashville had this team it would do better, dont you?.

Listening to moen's interview after practice just makes me wanna give Martin's head a shake even more! He essentially says he's not there to score just be a defensive physical presence and battle in the corners... Duh... 4th line attributes!

Weber replaces plex at the point but flips spots with subban! So subban is now the quarterback on the right with weber's one timer on the left... I like subban n Diaz better but at least Martin has the tactics correct... When marky returns to his position on the PP he'll start feeding emelins left handed slapper!

Jm was the best available considering our limitations. I just think his strategies our more suited for playoff games. In the reg season, it seems to exhausting to play this way all year. That is why we look really good or really flat. Also non stop injuries, way too many penalties. These are the things I blame on Jm. I do think we can win a cup with him, we just need to play in a way where we have gas in the tank for the playoffs, then go in shut down shot block mode, but thewre is no way we can sustain that system for 82+ games.

This thread is getting off track though, every coach will have good and bad, our talen pool for coach's is just way too thin. Im happy to see Pleks off the point, not happy to see Moen on the first, and Palushaj on the 4th. Everything else doesnt seem that bad, but I really believe its time to break up Gomer and Gio, its just to predictable.

my suggestion is:

AK--plex--camo (pulashaj)

gio--gomer--cole

DD--eller-- pacio

moen-- enquivst-- darche

-pulashaj unless proven to be successful during cammallerri's layoff gets sent back upon #13's return.

-enquivst will stay with the team all season barring trades and will continue to feature until white centers the fourth line

-i think our ace this season will be the emergence of eller... but he needs quality with him. hence, paciorettty and DD a young talented hungry line that will push our vet line

- cole was brought in to crash and bang... the pint size all heart gionta does it already. let gomez center these 2 & create an "ageless LOL" all american line that will feel the inner pressure from plex/ camo/ kosty and the kid line!

our defense is an utter disaster and i dont think it can be fixed just patched up right now

gill- gorges

emelin- subban

weber- diaz

on the PP.... our bread and butter has been 2 left handed players on the point. left side quarterbacks the PP right side has the set up for the cross body one timer who can also feed the puck down low ... e.g markov w/ souray, schnieder, striet etc... now we have subban on the left side w/ a right handed one timer... we need a quarterback on the right point who is right handed aka Diaz.. he's already on the right point on the 2nd pairing so martin has it half right but he's with weber and should move up with subban! plex should go back to playing the half boards or down low on the 1st unit!

+1 on everything you said.

Does JM have Twitter or Facebook so we can make recommendations? :rolleyes:

We got to semi finals DESPITE having Martin as coach, not because of him.

We also got there thanks to; likely because of Muller's help with players, and Cammalleri had a remakable likely not to be repeated scoring barrage (till Philly), Gill (PK play) and Halak (stoning everyone) and last year we backed into into playoffs as the lowest scoring team in a very very weak Eastern Conferance. So i do not give him as much credit as you do (am i right or wrong, i dont know, but i am just giving my opinion).I think if Kirk Muller, or say the coach from Buffalo or Nashville had this team it would do better, dont you?.

Oh, it's a tired argument we don't need to have again. But I'll say this, your logic is based on a priori reasoning: Martin sucks, therefore good results must be attributable to something else, while bad results must be attributable to him.

In point of fact, you are describing a situation where the Habs have gotten the most out of the players they have. In any normal world the coach gets some credit when that happens. What are you saying, that with Muller as coach Cammy would score more goals in the playoffs? Gill would have been better on the PK?

As for whether Trotts or Muller would get superior results, meh. Trotts is another coach on a team where the team seems to get maximum overall results given the talent at hand; if he gets credit for that, then so should Martin. As for Muller, this is just pie-in-the-sky. Maybe Muller will make a great head coach some day, maybe not. Claiming that he's better than Martin is based on absolutely nothing.

People hate Martin for three reasons. One, they obssess over relatively minor questions like who should be on the third line at the start of a game in October. Two, they see his boring persona and hanker for a flashier personality. Three, they have a fantasy about some Coach Saviour (Muller, Boucher, etc.) who will come and work miracles - i.e., get better results than a semi-finals appearance and driving the Cup champs to Game 7 OT. All I care about is results and JM has delivered.

• Upvote 1