Line combinations?

SOOPAVILLIN

Agree that Emelin is better than he has shown, which is no better than Tinordi, not as good in fact.

I can accept the fact that Tinordi is not up with Mtl, and for the reasons you mentioned, I respect that, but if say Emelin is traded, then what?

And you still haven't told me that you think Weaver and Allen are better options.... so then what? Play our worst defensemen? Get a new #4,5 or 6?

Agree that Emelin is better than he has shown, which is no better than Tinordi, not as good in fact.

I can accept the fact that Tinordi is not up with Mtl, and for the reasons you mentioned, I respect that, but if say Emelin is traded, then what?

And you still haven't told me that you think Weaver and Allen are better options.... so then what? Play our worst defensemen? Get a new #4,5 or 6?

Weaver and Allen aren't in the top six right now so they're largely irrelevant. If Tinordi is up and plays, it doesn't affect either of them, they sit either way. Just because they're up and Tinordi isn't doesn't mean they're ahead of him on the depth chart, it's just better to have a veteran as a depth guy and a youngster playing, even if it's at the lower level.

If Emelin were to be dealt, I suspect Tinordi would get another look before long. If they are indeed convinced that Beaulieu is up for good (and despite a few decent games, that's far from a given - if he has a few bad ones, they'll sit/demote him again), Emelin's departure would in theory be to make a spot for Tinordi so they'd give him a shot.

I think we'll have to agree to disagree on Emelin being worse than Tinordi this year though. Personally, I don't think he has been as bad as many make him out to be but I know I'm in the minority there.

Poor Tinordi, darn mgmt. just wont give him a shot..oh wait he has had numerous trial runs, with mixed results, but what Weaver, Allen, Gilbert do poorly, is just growing pains for lil Jared. Go ahead Jared have braindead turnovers, it is OK, no one will care. But Allen is tougher, Gilbert is superior skater and with puck and Weaver is steady and experienced.

But when Pitt is tossing puck into Tinordi's corner over and over, it wont be by mistake nor that they are scared of a big young nervous d-man.

It's a sign that Tinordi isn't improving on the areas that need to be improved upon. He needs to play more physical, he hasn't. That's not the fault of the coaches. He still doesn't handle the puck well. That's not entirely the fault of the coaches either. Those are the two areas I was really hoping he'd improve. Given his size, he should be standing out in games. That just isn't happening.

If he's pouting about not being in the NHL, then he's exactly where he needs to be right now. Considering Beaulieu did this last year and got punished for it, he'd be stupid to try it himself and expect a different result. Dogging it shouldn't yield a promotion.

I'd take Emelin over Tinordi right now in terms of who can help the team more. They're not going to call him up to sit a $4.1 M defenceman who has the second longest contract of any defenceman. That's a great way to tank a players' trade value.

"if he is pouting" ?

Thats a big if. Your elaboration on the "stupidity" of "pouting" sounds like you know something we dont? Any reason that you think/imply Tinordi is might be "pouting" .

I go to the bulldog games and he has never shown anything that would make me suggest "pouting" is in his make up.

"if he is pouting" ?

Thats a big if. Your elaboration on the "stupidity" of "pouting" sounds like you know something we dont? Any reason that you think/imply Tinordi is might be "pouting" .

I go to the bulldog games and he has never shown anything that would make me suggest "pouting" is in his make up.

Loose interpretation of:

Maybe Tinordi is butthurt down there and rotting away, NHL is where he needs to be to get better?

I don't think he is, just going with the hypothetical that was presented.

Guest Stogey24

..anybody notice how much better our d is when Beaulieu is playing a regular shift and weaver/allen are scratches? no coincidence folks

The kid is finally looking pretty good out there. Couple of turnovers last night, but other than that he's played well. I thought Emelin played well on the bottom pair too. I think he's more suited playing there IMO.

he's playing with a chip on his shoulder is what I'm noticing. he wants the puck more which shows confidence, a swagger so to speak. its what always seems to be missing. if he keeps that swagger going, there is no reason to believe he won't stay in his current 4 spot.

• 2 weeks later...

New, curious lines today. Brandon Prust is now a top-6 forward while Sekac is in the rotating 12th forward spot. I'm not a fan of either of these decisions.

Pacioretty - Plekanec - Gallagher

Prust - Galchenyuk - Parenteau

Desharnais - Eller - Weise

Bournival - Malhotra - Sekac/Thomas

I like the idea of having Pacioretty and Plekanec play together though. Those two play together shorthanded and good things seem to happen when they're out there. It's worth a look.

As for the PP, it too has seen some changes, both in personnel and in strategy:

Unit 1: Pacioretty - Desharnais - Gallagher / Subban - Parenteau

Unit 2: Eller - Galchenyuk - Plekanec / Gonchar - Markov

New, curious lines today. Brandon Prust is now a top-6 forward while Sekac is in the rotating 12th forward spot. I'm not a fan of either of these decisions.

I like the idea of having Pacioretty and Plekanec play together though. Those two play together shorthanded and good things seem to happen when they're out there. It's worth a look.

Well at least he is trying something. Be interesting to see how the 1st line P/P works out, looks like high risk/reward line. What the heck did Sekach do to get in Le Genius dog house? That kid has some real talent. I would play him on a regular line probably with patches and parenteau. He is going to be a goal scorer. I hope and think. Mind you I looked up his stats and Idon't see any evidence of huge goal scoring ability.

Sekac has grown on me, but he needs to get the idea that he's Pavel Bure out of his head. Maybe the transition to smaller ice makes him think he has more space out there, but he tries dangles that would make Kovalev blush. That kind of hockey must drive Therrien nuts. I think he's on the fourth line for speed.

As for the fourth line, they probably liked the speed of the fourth line versus Pittsburgh, we can do a lot worse than having a very fast, very defensively responsible fourth line.

The first new powerplay is interesting, nice to see Therrien join the 21st Century and allow a fourth forward on the power play. I'll be interested to see who's in front of the net on the second PP unit.

Prust on the second line is a confusing one. My guess is that they want Desharnais on the third line to make some plays. Eller, for all his vaunted defensive improvements, can't make a play that's not off the rush and hasn't cycled the puck as much as he should. I don't see Prust as a placeholder for Sekac, Therrien hasn't used him on a second line for any amount of time, the demotion is real. He hasn't had a SOG in four games and needs a wakeup call. Prust is more likely a placeholder for a deadline LW and Sekac will be in the pressbox.

Hate these lines. Weisse and Prust are hard workers, but are an anchor tie both of those lines.

Limits the passing options for both Galchenyuk and Eller. Would have preferred sekac and Thomas in those positions.

What exactly has parenteau done to warrent PP time?

Well at least he is trying something. Be interesting to see how the 1st line P/P works out, looks like high risk/reward line. What the heck did Sekach do to get in Le Genius dog house? That kid has some real talent. I would play him on a regular line probably with patches and parenteau. He is going to be a goal scorer. I hope and think. Mind you I looked up his stats and Idon't see any evidence of huge goal scoring ability.

Well we'll see. Max played played a five game stretch pleks and gionta last season and did not score. HR, we have seen the odd break up rush by pleks and pax on the pk, however any two forwards killing the pp get those chances every now and then. Gio and pleks got alot of them, (gio always shot. ha!) I will be looking to see if the pp can get going. Not excited about the line juggling. Pleks has not been able to become a first line center in his twelve seasons in the league, because he does not belong there. But what are you gonna do. MT was a "genious' when he came up with these lines that he just broke up. He will switch chucky and pleks back before long.

Lines look fine to me, other than Sekac not on PP.

Yes i would think sekac should be on the top nine AND getting pp time. But the pp is so good its hard for him to get a shot. I think we may see sekac go through what Larry did, spend a few seasons bouncing around never getting set on any line. Moving around and around as MT juggles and juggles trying get someone to score on plekanics wing. Where nobody one has since Kovelov.

Gainey Nilan and Carbs were a checking line...........for five years.

Let plekanic center a checking line and use him that way. They will bang in the odd goal, gell as a solid line, kill penalties. He is just not an offensive threat.

Guest Stogey24

Yes i would think sekac should be on the top nine AND getting pp time. But the pp is so good its hard for him to get a shot. I think we may see sekac go through what Larry did, spend a few seasons bouncing around never getting set on any line. Moving around and around as MT juggles and juggles trying get someone to score on plekanics wing. Where nobody one has since Kovelov.

Gainey Nilan and Carbs were a checking line...........for five years.

Let plekanic center a checking line and use him that way. They will bang in the odd goal, gell as a solid line, kill penalties. He is just not an offensive threat.

I'm getting tired of it too

Poor Tinordi, darn mgmt. just wont give him a shot..oh wait he has had numerous trial runs, with mixed results, but what Weaver, Allen, Gilbert do poorly, is just growing pains for lil Jared. Go ahead Jared have braindead turnovers, it is OK, no one will care. But Allen is tougher, Gilbert is superior skater and with puck and Weaver is steady and experienced.

But when Pitt is tossing puck into Tinordi's corner over and over, it wont be by mistake nor that they are scared of a big young nervous d-man.

you were talking the exact same way about NB till he came up and made you eat every word.

In fairness to the coach, when he witnessed Chucky getting run by penguins last game (and the rest of the team did no more than witness it either......coach pencils in Prust on kids line before they even get to the airport. In having/wanting to do that, there is the ripple affect across the board with changes on other lines. Hence pleks centering number one line. ouch.

Thats why max would never be my captain. Seen him turn away too many times when gally, dd, subban or chucky get abused. He's no Iggy thats for sure.