Line combinations?

SOOPAVILLIN

Briere - Plekanec - Gionta

Galchenyuk - Eller - Bourque

Pacioretty - Desharnais - Gallagher

Prust - Bournival - Moen

Exactly. I like bourque on the right for that one-timer of his.

Def need a trade to get rid of some bodies. Frankly, I think Borunival merits top-9 minutes. White is a useful 4th liner and shouldn't lose his spot cause Moen & Prust get relegated.

Hopefully by the trade deadline, one of Tinordi, Beaulieu or Pateryn can solidify a roster spot and force Bergys hand. Something needs to happen while all these 'assets' are under contract.

Exactly. I like bourque on the right for that one-timer of his.

Def need a trade to get rid of some bodies. Frankly, I think Borunival merits top-9 minutes. White is a useful 4th liner and shouldn't lose his spot cause Moen & Prust get relegated.

Hopefully by the trade deadline, one of Tinordi, Beaulieu or Pateryn can solidify a roster spot and force Bergys hand. Something needs to happen while all these 'assets' are under contract.

Pateryn still seems like the "most NHL ready", but none of the three would be better options over the two vets on the 3rd pairing, come playoff time. But we will surely see one or two of them as injury call-ups over the next several months and see how they look.

Same up front, Habs simply do not have excess quality forwards to ship out for picks/prospects and I doubt any will be traded before a key injury happens.

Pateryn still seems like the "most NHL ready", but none of the three would be better options over the two vets on the 3rd pairing, come playoff time. But we will surely see one or two of them as injury call-ups over the next several months and see how they look.

Same up front, Habs simply do not have excess quality forwards to ship out for picks/prospects and I doubt any will be traded before a key injury happens.

They may not be better bets than the vets come playoff time (given where they are in their development right now).

However, this is why i want to see them in the lineup now.... after 40-50 games in the NHL they might be better bets come playoff time IMO.

Plus next year you may need to break in 2 rookies. Better to do one this year and one next IMO.

Sitting Bouillion and Murray both, and playing the rookie doesn't hurt our playoff chances this year IMO.

As for Pateryn, he is the best of the three in the AHL. I'm not sure he'd be the best of the three in the NHL though, I'd give all three a shot and then run the one who plays the best for the last 40 games.

They may not be better bets than the vets come playoff time (given where they are in their development right now).

However, this is why i want to see them in the lineup now.... after 40-50 games in the NHL they might be better bets come playoff time IMO.

Plus next year you may need to break in 2 rookies. Better to do one this year and one next IMO.

Sitting Bouillion and Murray both, and playing the rookie doesn't hurt our playoff chances this year IMO.

As for Pateryn, he is the best of the three in the AHL. I'm not sure he'd be the best of the three in the NHL though, I'd give all three a shot and then run the one who plays the best for the last 40 games.

With Yemelin back and goalies playing as they are, you are correct and team wouldn't even notice a rookie on 3rd pairing. Pateryn is much stronger and defensively sound than Beaulieu and likely stronger than Tinordi and better all-round than the ordinary AHL play Tinordi is showing at present.

But, give the big guy another 20-30 games in Hamilton and his game may really improve (and get his confidence back?). And give him another year in weight room and summer work on his skating and he should be ready for prime time.

But no, of course, I don't think Pateryn has the upside of either 1st rounder, but am quite curious to see how he would do given a few game stretch. But no big rush for any of the three.

• 3 weeks later...

When they are doing all the line shifting, is it just me, does Eller always draw the guy that isn't producing? For my money, leave the egg line alone and work on the rest.

It seems Eller has become Plekanec.He always used to seem to be in a similar position until Gionta became permanently attached to his hip.

Boot Parros out for White and that's probably the best possible line combos we can make for this team right now.

Just be removing Parros is a big bonus. I aint got a clue who makes best lines; but, I really liked that Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Plekanec and Gionta line at end of game!

Go with 2nd PP unit of those 4 forwards and Diaz?

New lines today and there are some similarities to combos from recent games other with the exception of line 3:

Galchenyuk-Plekanec-Gionta

Pacioretty-Desharnais-Briere

Bournival-Eller-Gallagher

Moen-Prust-Parros

I like these lines, and I continue to have high hopes for Bournival, although he'll probably get two shifts before being sent to the fourth line.

Briere and Desharnais together is risky.

I like these lines, and I continue to have high hopes for Bournival, although he'll probably get two shifts before being sent to the fourth line.

Briere and Desharnais together is risky.

Both Briere and DD seem to show the most chemistry with Pacioretty. If both of them are feeding pucks to them, the only issue is getting the puck into the zone. Which... is not Briere and DD's strong suits. In other words, when that line is on the ice, Markov/Subban best be on it as well.

• 2 weeks later...

Emelin should never sit, even during his "slump" he has still not been bad enough to bench over Boullion, no matter what kind of game he pulls out of his hat.

Scratching Diaz also hinders any value he holds in a trade negotiation, so unless they plan to sign him to an extension, scratching him makes him look bad, and GMs won't give more than a 5th round pick for healthy scratch type players.

I feel like these are the kinds of changes and shake ups we should see when the team is outside the playoff picture, not when it is in the current position we find ourselves in. We find ourselves with a Record that should give our regulars that are struggling some room to snap out of it, not put them in a vice until someone pops.

Emelin should never sit, even during his "slump" he has still not been bad enough to bench over Boullion, no matter what kind of game he pulls out of his hat.

Scratching Diaz also hinders any value he holds in a trade negotiation, so unless they plan to sign him to an extension, scratching him makes him look bad, and GMs won't give more than a 5th round pick for healthy scratch type players.

I feel like these are the kinds of changes and shake ups we should see when the team is outside the playoff picture, not when it is in the current position we find ourselves in. We find ourselves with a Record that should give our regulars that are struggling some room to snap out of it, not put them in a vice until someone pops.

While I don't believe that a coach is ever going to incorporate "trade value" into his roster decisions, I do find it comical that either Diaz or Emelin is being sat out to make room for Honey Boo Boo. Either of those guys has more talent in his left toe than Boo Boo has in his entire body at this juncture of his career. I agree, in particular, that sitting Emelin would be ridiculous - an insult, really, to a blood-and-guts guy who simply "hit the wall" after an arduous rehab and missing training camp. Emelin is a top-4 defenceman; you don't sit those guys every time they go through a rough patch.

That Bouillon-Murray pairing looks like a recipe for minuses to me, but we'll see what happens.

• 1 month later...

It is time to start protecting Galllagher not that we didn't know this already. Two changes I think would make a lot of difference, first put Prust back with gallagher and eller. This move does two things should wake up eller and protects gally. Second move briere up with patch and dd. briere is starting to put up points so lets reward him and tell patch to play like a power forward not just be called one!

Guest Stogey24

It is time to start protecting Galllagher not that we didn't know this already. Two changes I think would make a lot of difference, first put Prust back with gallagher and eller. This move does two things should wake up eller and protects gally. Second move briere up with patch and dd. briere is starting to put up points so lets reward him and tell patch to play like a power forward not just be called one!

Prust and Bourque are starting to find chemistry, not worth splitting them up. Prust seems to struggle when he plays in the top 6 too.

Prust and Bourque are starting to find chemistry, not worth splitting them up. Prust seems to struggle when he plays in the top 6 too.

Well we do have the new guy, maybe he could ride shotgun an gallagher. He can skate like the wind.

• 4 weeks later...

all this speculation of line combos

heres mine

Patches DD gallagher

Vanek plex gionta

galchenyuk eller briere

prust white moen

wiese

bournival

bourque

****first change being a flip of gionta and briere

markov emelin

tinordi subban

murray weaver

gorges**

beaulieau

bouillon

This how I would put the lines:

Pacioretty - Desharnais - Gallagher ---> offense

Galchenyuk - Briere - Vanek ---> offense

Eller - Plekanec - Gionta ---> shutdown

Moen - White - Prust ---> energy

Bournival/Bourque/Wiese/Parros ---> extras

If Eller is to be the next Plekanec, then no better than to have Plekanec as his linemate. Also, Plekanec and Gionta should no longer be counted on for offense and should focus on shutting down the opposing team's top line. Vanek needs better playmakers and Briere and Galchenyuk are better suited. 1st line well no explanation there.

• Upvote 1