Perry Pearn fired

JMMR

Makes you wonder if PG gave Martin an ultimatum, fire Pearn or find the door yourself. Wouldn't be the first time that a head coach has had to choose between his staff and his own job.

Gauthier to address the firing at 7pm tonight so we'll see what he has to say about any possible replacement.

Makes you wonder if PG gave Martin an ultimatum, fire Pearn or find the door yourself. Wouldn't be the first time that a head coach has had to choose between his staff and his own job.

Gauthier to address the firing at 7pm tonight so we'll see what he has to say about any possible replacement.

Possibly, but did Martin hire the team from Hamilton to come up?

Or is that a GM's decision?

Y

You'd have to think that Martin would have had some say on who would be on the bench with him. What makes this particularly interesting is that Pearn was the one major guy that JM brought with him when he took the head coaching job.

If Martin wasn't consulted on Pearn's firing you have to think this is as big a shot across the bow from Gauthier as he could muster next to firing Martin himself.

I think this has to be a message more to JM then the players. This was JMs guy and the big boss fired him, which means they were not happy with the performance of the coaching staff. They may not be ready to dump Martin yet, but clearly they felt the need to do something. They didn't dump a player.

If we win three straight or two of em he will be looking pretty good though

Indeed. My hope is that we catch these good teams off guard and win 3 str8.

Was Pearn in charge of the Power Play ? The PP guy should be the one to go.

Pearn was running the power play (or he did last year anyway) and I am really hoping we can jump these teams (I also hate boston and philly more then anyone else! haha)

Yes Pearn was the PP guy.

The power play system was not geared from day 1 of the season. The whole coaching staff

missed the camp because of the so said injuries.

If the camp had always regular line 1 PP and line 2 PP the players would have more cohesion on the ice.

But it's the players who are missing the scoring chances, not the coach.

Seems pretty clear to me. The Habs' main problem this season has been the PP; with a few more goals there, they'd have considerably more wins. Gauthier made a move to try to isolate the problem and address it - the minimal, least disruptive possible move, much less disruptive than firing the whole staff or making a major trade. Classic conservative response to a crisis.

I am glad to see that PG agrees with me that the powerplay is THE main problem. I don't know whether this move will help, because I think the underlying issue is simply the absence of players who can run a power-play. Still, this move perhaps will buy the team a few more games to turn things around before more drastic moves have to be done.

Was it JM's decision? Of course not. He and Pearn are soul brothers, like Vigneualt and Bowness.

Interesting to read that Martin unsuccessfully pleaded his case to Gauthier to keep Pearn on staff. For those that suggest the coach and GM are joined at the hip on everything, this suggests otherwise.

I think the goat also told the penguin to use Cole more, otherwise, there was no explanation for the sudden increase in the use of Cole. until the last 2 seconds of the first, i thought we were done, but getting that goal at the end really turned the game around.

Still think the penguin needs to go though. Worst player tonight, was one of the Penguin's supporters - Gill. I really liked Weber and Diaz getting shots through. Hopefully part of the goat's message was to give the kids more of a chance. IMO all of the kids, along with Cole looked great tonight and that was the big difference.

I think the goat also told the penguin to use Cole more, otherwise, there was no explanation for the sudden increase in the use of Cole. until the last 2 seconds of the first, i thought we were done, but getting that goal at the end really turned the game around.

Still think the penguin needs to go though. Worst player tonight, was one of the Penguin's supporters - Gill. I really liked Weber and Diaz getting shots through. Hopefully part of the goat's message was to give the kids more of a chance. IMO all of the kids, along with Cole looked great tonight and that was the big difference.

I do not know if anyone else notices this, but every time there is a scrum Weber always seems to be the first to charge into it.

I do not know if anyone else notices this, but every time there is a scrum Weber always seems to be the first to charge into it.

Didn't really notice that. I do like his passing ability and able t get that shot off. On the other hand, I really have hated how Gill and Space, have looked this season.

Its funny how Glen Heally was ragging the habs on Bob McCowan's show on sportsnet tonight for them signing a Dman out of switzerland out of desperation (refering to Diaz) and how this little swiss Dman was clearly not an NHL defenceman. He want on a Cherry like nonsense that you go to Switzerland if you want a swiss knife and not hockey players. Funny thing was that he mentioned Streit later on, and yet the habs brought Streit into the league the same way. Anyway, one of his complaints about Diaz was his his size. Funny how our least physical dman is our biggest player, the american Gill.

Glen Healy knows nothing!!

cole wasn't used more tonight as suggested (18 shifts 13+ minutes).......

the difference tonight was he was playing like he wants more shifts, more minutes! going hard to the net with the puck as well as SOG and throwing the body....... kudos eric cole! welcome to the hot bed that is MOntreal! it will always be a love hate relationship!

Al I keep hearing is that Pearn was the sacrificial lamb. That may be patially true in that he had 3 rookie defensemen and no PP quarterback, but to me if I am running a business and it is failing, and the accounting department is a huge part of the failure, it would not be unreasonable to fire the accounting manager. Pearn ran the defense and special teams. These were two huge problems for the Habs. Those could have been the difference.