Perry Pearn fired

JMMR

I think the goat also told the penguin to use Cole more, otherwise, there was no explanation for the sudden increase in the use of Cole. until the last 2 seconds of the first, i thought we were done, but getting that goal at the end really turned the game around

Still think the penguin needs to go though. Worst player tonight, was one of the Penguin's supporters - Gill. I really liked Weber and Diaz getting shots through. Hopefully part of the goat's message was to give the kids

more of a chance. IMO all of the kids, along with Cole looked great tonight and that was the big difference

Diaz was at fault for the Jagr goal. Gill was back with Jagr, but Diaz was way up at the point. Lost his man. Weber made the two biggest mistakes in the game. Lost jvr and gave him a one on none and give away for a glorious chance in front. If Price doesn't bail him out, it's a

whole new game. Gill faced the Jagr Giroux line all night. If Diaz and Weber did, this game is a loss. Cole played the same minutes, you just noticed because he tried tonight. Montreal won tonight because of bounces. They lost against Calgary, Buffalo, and Florida because the biunces went against them. Your constant agenda with youth, Martin and Gomez is getting a little redundant. No offense. Gill was back with Jagr when the goal was scored. My mistake, but Diaz was up at the blueline covering the left point.

Diaz was at fault for the Jagr goal. Gill was back with Jagr, but Diaz was way up at the point. Lost his man. Weber made the two biggest mistakes in the game. Lost jvr and gave him a one on none and give away for a glorious chance in front. If Price doesn't bail him out, it's a

whole new game. Gill faced the Jagr Giroux line all night. If Diaz and Weber did, this game is a loss. Cole played the same minutes, you just noticed because he tried tonight. Montreal won tonight because of bounces. They lost against Calgary, Buffalo, and Florida because the biunces went against them. Your constant agenda with youth, Martin and Gomez is getting a little redundant. No offense. Gill was back with Jagr when the goal was scored. My mistake, but Diaz was up at the blueline covering the left point.

I think i've made it pretty clear that I hated the Penguin and Gomez signing since day one and also hate hated having three old, slow defensmen like Gill Spacek and Hamrlik on the same time. I think most people over the last two years now agree with me about Gomez and some are starting to agree about the penguin.

Gill had at least 4 brutal give aways and was saved by Price - even the TSN guys commented on a couple of them. With his foot speed, there is no way Gill should be playing against Jagr or Giroux even strength - even if it is a 40-41 year old Jagr. I can live with mistakes from guys that are young and will learn from their mistakes, I can't live with mistakes that 35-37 year olds keep making again and again. I can see them playing Gill against the other team's top guys when he is killing penalties. He has no business getting much even strength time - particularly against elite players.

The habs did not get just get "bad bounces" in those games. They were awful against Calgary and the shots were misleading. Buffalo Miller was great and stoned them and that was really the only solid game they played. Against Florida, they made a rookie goalie look like Patrick Roy from horrible shooting and no finish. Darche alone had 3-4 oppertunities that were gimmees. If the penguin had guys who should have been out there, we should have had at least 2-3 goals. Even last night, we were awful in the first period. It looked like a group of guys who had zero confidence and were done until they scored with a few seconds left.

Who scored the goals last night night - the goal scorers - MaxPac (only guy who has played well for most of the year. The Penguin's whipping boy AK46. Cammy scored, who still wasn't very good, but buried his chance, because he has better hands then the Penguin's golden boy Darche. Weber, who really hasn't been used regularly on the PP, despite his booming shot or on defense, despite his ability to make an outlet pass (can't say the same for Gill).

Cole, was much more effective actually playing a game with offensive players. Despite being signed for $4.5M/4 years, for some STUPID reason, the Penguin is only giving him around 12-14 minutes of ice time time, not much PP time and has Cole playing with grunts. Last night he was finally playing regularly with offensive players.

JM's line juggling (especially with hot lines), is puzzling. His bench control is awful - how many too many men on the ice penalties do we get. I think its probably close to the highest in the league. He is playing pre-lockout trap hockey and playing not to lose, when everyone else is playing a higher tempo puck possesion game. Only plays kids when injuries give him no choice. Hell, last game, he even forgot about pulling his goalie. I still hate his use of Pleks on the point.

Last year when Robinson asked to come back and was ignored, i said given the youth the habs have on the blue line (robinson, weber), Robinson was the perfect choice, instead we were stuck with the Penguin's buddy Pearn. Pearn is finally gone, I'm still hoping we get rid of the Penguin as well.

So are you saying that with the line up he has had for the last two years, and the injuries sustained that he should have done better? I disagree. This year is disapoimting so far, and it would not offend me for Martin to be fired. I'm not in love with him, but I don't think he is nearly as bad as you say. Of the young players you lament, two were wasted assets. SK and Grabovski. Gauthier and Gainey would surely take a muligan on those two trades. So far I have seen no replacement for Gomez hit free agency. Richards was the first one. So the team should have gone without a top 6 center for two years? He had a bad year. So did Vinny. The only thing that upsets me about the Gomez deal is the loss of mcnonagh. Gomez is a good stop gap and will probably be gone next year if he does not improve. If a 100 point first line centre falls on Gautier's lap, I'm sure he will swnd Gomer down. Until then, he is on the team.

So are you saying that with the line up he has had for the last two years, and the injuries sustained that he should have done better? I disagree. This year is disapoimting so far, and it would not offend me for Martin to be fired. I'm not in love with him, but I don't think he is nearly as bad as you say. Of the young players you lament, two were wasted assets. SK and Grabovski. Gauthier and Gainey would surely take a muligan on those two trades. So far I have seen no replacement for Gomez hit free agency. Richards was the first one. So the team should have gone without a top 6 center for two years? He had a bad year. So did Vinny. The only thing that upsets me about the Gomez deal is the loss of mcnonagh. Gomez is a good stop gap and will probably be gone next year if he does not improve. If a 100 point first line centre falls on Gautier's lap, I'm sure he will swnd Gomer down. Until then, he is on the team.

Pittsburgh has been hit much worse by injuries, Bylsma has gotten a lot more out of his team this year AND last year.

Gomez did not just have a bad year, he has had 3 bad years (I considered his first year to be a lousy year as well). You don't trade for a guy making $7.2M hoping he will get 50-60 points - particularly in a cap world.. You certainly don't give up a top defensive prospect. Hell, I wouldn't have made that deal for Gomez if it was just for Higgins. The salary cap hit for a guy who isn't expecting to top 60 points is just plain stupidity - unless that player is a defenceman.

Your also talking as if Gomez is the only center that any team has been able to trade for or sign via UFA since that trade. it's not like Gomez was the only centre available in the league when Gainey made that idiotic trade.

Lats was also a wasted asset. They also did a lousy job with Pouliot. It makes no sense to keep bringing in young players who are offensive players and putting them on the 4th line with muckers and grinders. The Habs do a lousy job of rushing players in when they are not ready and then handle them badly when they do bring them up. They treat them like prima donnas and then complain when they act like prima donnas. What is the point of a playmaker playing with a guy who couldn't hit the broad side of a barn, unless it is with his fist.

I don't like how the penguin turns a blind eye to the mistakes or stupid penalties of his favourite veterens but then wants to hang guys like AK46 or Weber. Moen lost his coverage last night and that resulted in a goal. Of course, he wasn't held accountable - even though he is supposed to ve a defensive player. AK46 makes the same play and he is done for the game.

Pittsburgh has been hit much worse by injuries, Bylsma has gotten a lot more out of his team this year AND last year.

True, but JM and the Habs have still done well, and improved over time, despite the plethora of injuries. Bylsma may be working miracles in Pitts, but that doesn't make JM's performance crapola.

I view the disposal of Grabs, SK, Lats and Poo in the same light: struggling at the time of departure, but more importantly, displaying their toxic 5-year old attitudes while doing so (perhaps less so in the case of Poo). BG and PG have done a thorough job of dispensing with such toxicity these past 3 years and I think that has been the secret of their success. Developing the right organizational culture is at the core of most decisions that have been made. The one move I might critique was giving up on Dagger, who, as far as I know, was a positive guy and never toxic like the others. He is proving PG wrong, but he hadn't offered much evidence before leaving Mtl.

Also, this mythology that the Habs and JM can't develop young players is utter nonsense. The Habs are one of the youngest and most talented teams in the East, integrating and potentiating young guns better than anyone (considering none of their many rookies and sophomores are top 10 draft picks). I highly approve of the way BG, PG and JM have dealt with Price, PK, Patches, Eller, Weber, DD, and now I suspect we'll see the smooth integration of Emelin and eventually Paluhsaj as well.

I expect a turn around to this young season, picking up pace especially when Markov returns in Nov, many more 4+ goal games than we have seen in decades, and the chastisement of anti-PG and JM factions.

Tonight, I expect the revenge of Patches in Boston.

Edited by patience is a virtue

I think this is part fixing the PP. Part saying to JM... you have the next 3 games to get your shit together or your gone on Sunday.

All the above aside, I agree that JM is walking on thin ice. He needs to win at least one game against Boston.

Edited by patience is a virtue

i thought it was moen who took off from down low with jagr to chase the puck.... which in turn left jagr open!

i definitely think of all these guys its only grabovski who would of fit in really good with this team as his play is fast paced and skilled... PG definitely would want him back....

maybe BG throws mcdonagh NY's way because of the fleecing we pulled on him in the kovy deal...

think about fantasy football for a second and if you constantly get burned trading with another team sooner or later you'll stop

alex kovalev for absolutely didly squat

gomez, pyatt for higgens, valetenko (russia) mcdonagh

definetly an evening out deal

sather " bob i need mcdonagh back"

bob "cant do it glen"

sather"WTF man, i gave u kovy for nothing"

bob "ok glen,... but you owe me!!"

its kind of like charielli tossing burke a bone for the really heavy price he paid for kessel

martin: never wanted him fired after 8 games

i just questioned his

a) thinking on the PP but i guess it was "pearn"

b) his use of talent pool

c) constant line juggling act...

d) motivational tactics when in a slump

and pointed out his career stats..... nothing's changed for me after this win except we finally got some bounces (simmonds empty net miss) timely scoring and clutch saves!!!

I didn't see the game last night, so I'll only comment on the firing......

To me it's like a doctor addressing a broken leg and setting it when the patient's having a massive heart attack...

Hi Dr. Nick!

-Mentionned "change of philosophy".

-Mentionned PG fired and not Martin fired.

-Prior to the firing (and prior to game vs Florida) Cole was not used on PP to everyone's surprise and discontent.

-PP didn't produce and was main factor in Habs loss (face it, if it's main factor in our wins in the last 4 seasons, it's also main factor in our losses if it doesn't work)

-Pearn was responsible of the PP

What it tells :

PG and maybe other asst-coach(es) were in disagreement with Pearn over his PP strategy.

PP was not working and PG must have said something, maybe put forth an "opinion". Pearn must not have followed that "opinion".

Former "philosophy" was that GM wouldn't interfere with coaching (bold guess). Gainey always said that.

New philosophy is : I tell you put Cole on PP, you're gonna put Cole on PP or you GTFO (bold guess). aka GM knows best.

Pearn could've been the guy who chose Darche over Cole on the PP. Somewhat like how Julien was starting to bench Theodore and Gainey came down, fired Julien and re-installed Theodore as the starter (albeit only briefly). Theo was Gainey's guy, the guy he signed to a contract extension that summer. Cole is Gauthier's guy.

Much like coaches, GM's have to have confidence in their decisions. Gauthier and Pearn were on different wavelengths.

As for the D, Diaz has not been good at even strength, but he and Gill have not been put in much of a position to succeed. As for putting Gill vs. Jagr, Gill used to give Jagr fits when they were both younger, and Jagr called Gill the toughest d-man in the league to play against. I have a feeling that match-up was based on that past history. But Gill is drowning, getting minutes like he was getting in Toronto, and Diaz is being thrown into the fire.

Spacek has been solid since returning from injury. Some people have just made their mind up about him and want him gone and only see what they want to see as a result. I wish he was played more, to be honest. Give Gill a bit of a break.

I begin to understand more. (Missed the game while I was tearing my ankle during soccer.) Martin was too comfortable, Gauthier knew it, so rather than firing a coach who is a good coach, he went for his right hand in order to make Martin uncomfortable and shake the man up. Let's see if this lasts longer-term. It's obviously a shot across Martin's bow.

Let me throw this out there....

Pearn was the guy insisting on Darche, and more importantly, not Cole on the PP. JM might have said "your call".. Then Martin takes the heat and sticks up for his friend, but the next game, the message is given by JM to start using Cole, with some success.

It is quite possible that JM agreed with us on Cole, but was in a situation where he was giving some authority to the guy running his special teams. Maybe PG realized that he had to break this friendship up, as it was coloring JMs own decision making.

In any case, it is quite possible that this is all about personal relationships. Imagine having a very good friend as an assistant. You will be tempted to avoid conflicts with him, even when you gut says he is wrong. I suspect no other assistant coach has that relationship with JM.

Oddly enough, it appears as if Pearn got a contract extension within the last month (a 1 year pact that hadn't been publicly announced by the team). After learning of this just now, I'm a little more surprised at yesterday's events.

I just heard that Gauthier wanted more emotion behind the bench, which was contributory to Pearn's firing. That's precisely what I, personally, needed to hear to give me hope. Once Muller left, a critical aspect was lost. Pearn was no answer, and probably had Martin in a rut. On espere un retour des Canadiens dont on veut voir constamment.

Just watched Gauthier's presser again, and I'm wondering if JM himself didn't ask Gauthier to remove Pearn. When he was about about the dismissal, he made it clear it was just him, but he also said a decision of this nature would be too difficult for JM to do on his own owing to the friendship/history of the two. Did Martin maybe recognize a negative influence that Pearn was giving the team and act quietly to resolve the situation and to regain control he felt he lost?

Not a question that can be fully answered, of course, but because this is an assistant that's been fired, the situation is fairly unique. I wonder if Muller was something of a counterpoint to Pearn, that he kept Perry in check somewhat. There was obviously a dynamic lost when Muller left, and Pearn's more emphasized role was perhaps not what Martin needed. All speculation, I know, but these kinds of things are endlessly fascinating for me. A team must BE a team to win, and something surrounding Pearn wasn't allowing the Habs to function as they should.

Just watched Gauthier's presser again, and I'm wondering if JM himself didn't ask Gauthier to remove Pearn. When he was about about the dismissal, he made it clear it was just him, but he also said a decision of this nature would be too difficult for JM to do on his own owing to the friendship/history of the two. Did Martin maybe recognize a negative influence that Pearn was giving the team and act quietly to resolve the situation and to regain control he felt he lost?

Not a question that can be fully answered, of course, but because this is an assistant that's been fired, the situation is fairly unique. I wonder if Muller was something of a counterpoint to Pearn, that he kept Perry in check somewhat. There was obviously a dynamic lost when Muller left, and Pearn's more emphasized role was perhaps not what Martin needed. All speculation, I know, but these kinds of things are endlessly fascinating for me. A team must BE a team to win, and something surrounding Pearn wasn't allowing the Habs to function as they should.

Kirk was much more involved with the players and although people have said he (Pearn) was a good communicator he would not communicate during games only the next day while watching video and during practice.

Kirk got right in there right away and tried to correct or influence the player immediately after he saw something.

Kirk was really close with the players and would be the coach on at the end of practice working with the scratches and injured players.

Kirk was much more involved with the players and although people have said he was a good communicator he would not communicate during games only the next day while watching video and during practice.

Kirk got right in there right away and tried to correct or influence the player immediately after he saw something.

Kirk was really close with the players and would be the coach on at the end of practice working with the scratches and injured players.

In the last few games of Pearn's tenure, the Canadiens seemed to get discouraged late in the games if things hadn't gone their way. I think the teams were well prepared but there was definitely a let down as the game went on and they weren't winning despite doing a lot of good work. Muller was definitely the more vocal, 'pump 'em up' type back there, and I wonder if that is what Gauthier wanted as much as anything back there. Removing Pearn was another way of making that happen... not sure if Ladouceur will be that guy, though. I don't really know his style.

So I guess the dump and change is JM's idea?

Never/still don't understand why we have to cross center and dump it in in order to make a line change...............It's all about puck posession, we have it they can't score. But when we dump and change we have to go down and try to get it back, why not keep it and change.

Did his teams do this in Fla and Ott as well?

The media has really been going after the Canadiens management for firing Perry Pearn.

During the Hotstove, Elliotte Friedman said many coaches are furious with how Perry Pearn was fired, and then Eric Francis piped up saying not just coaches, but everyone around the league thinks it was classless.

Pierre McGuire went on a 2 minute rant on TSN radio in Montreal about how classless it was.

Many TSN pundits thought on the night of the firing that it was a scapegoat.

Michael Farber on The Reporters gave the Canadiens a "thumbs down", once again saying it was a scapegoat, and their 3 game win streak after the firing was coincidental and not a direct result of Pearn's firing...

yet they have won 3 games since he was fired, and played 3 of their 5 best games of the season without him. The team has looked different. Even if it only sent a message to the team to shape up, and they did, do we really care that Pearn was relieved of duty? or how he was relieved of duty?

The media has really been going after the Canadiens management for firing Perry Pearn.

During the Hotstove, Elliotte Friedman said many coaches are furious with how Perry Pearn was fired, and then Eric Francis piped up saying not just coaches, but everyone around the league thinks it was classless.

Pierre McGuire went on a 2 minute rant on TSN radio in Montreal about how classless it was.

Many TSN pundits thought on the night of the firing that it was a scapegoat.

Michael Farber on The Reporters gave the Canadiens a "thumbs down", once again saying it was a scapegoat, and their 3 game win streak after the firing was coincidental and not a direct result of Pearn's firing...

yet they have won 3 games since he was fired, and played 3 of their 5 best games of the season without him. The team has looked different. Even if it only sent a message to the team to shape up, and they did, do we really care that Pearn was relieved of duty? or how he was relieved of duty?

He was in charge of our powerplay and our powerplay sucked! What is so hard to understand here!