I can't wait till 2004

TheAussiePosse

In fact, I'm so desperate, I think I will do the lines right now.

No players coming in, just deadweights leaving via FA and retirement and Europe.

Zednik-Koivu-Ward

Hossa-Ribeiro-Balej

Bulis-Higgins-Sundstrom

Perezhogin-Plekanec-Ryder

Markov-Komisarek

Hainsey-Rivet

Souray-Archer

Theodore

Garon

:Bite Fist to Keep from Crying:

Yeah, makes you drean, doesn't it?

Unfortunately, probably half our best prospects wont even make it to the NHL :( Im guessing that Higgins and Plekanec are our safest bets.

But you forgot Korneev. From what I've read, he would have even better skills than Markov, and he's a real hard worker, but because of his size he might never make it.

Shasby could maybe also make it as #7 dman.

Maybe Thieniel could pull a Briere, but he's having a real hard time adjusting to pro hockey. Or maybe he should have a little talk with Martin St-Louis.

Im guessing Milroy will make the team. I can, being such an optimistic person :), see him become something like Steve Thomas. Hard working, more than decent stats, and a clutch performer.

I dont totally dislike the chances of Buturlin. He's a long shot, but if he ever makes it, he could be an interesting addition to the roster.

Also, I doubt Theodore will be here when we become Cup contenders. It's got nothing to do with his last season (I would have traded him before anyway), and Im sure he will become very reliable again... but with Garon, Michaud, Tarasov, and even Fichaud all waiting, and considering our lack of top notch offensive talent, I just can't see how we cold not trade him for an established top scorer or some top offensive prospects... that's jst my opinion. If it weren't for our goalie prospects, I would say keep Theo...

The longshot I'm pulling for is Ferland... the only potential power-forward in the organization other than Ward. (hopefully this will change on Saturday)

Originally posted by CerebusClones

Also, I doubt Theodore will be here when we become Cup contenders. It's got nothing to do with his last season (I would have traded him before anyway), and Im sure he will become very reliable again... but with Garon, Michaud, Tarasov, and even Fichaud all waiting,

Michaud is far from a sure thing, and he's far from ready... Tarasov is AWOL and I doubt we'll see him in North-America ever again... Fichaud is a backup at best.

So it's only Garon for now.

I agree he might turn out to be just as good (or better), but I think there's no rush to make such a key decision now. They are both signed for a couple more years, let things play themselves out.

On the other hand:

- it's a sellers market where goalies are concerned.. a lot of teams are looking for one so this would be a good time to get top value for Theo

- there is also pressure to keep payroll down with the new CBA approaching and Theo's salary is over-inflated because of the one great year he had... Garon is a bargain in comparison.

- now with the "Theo-gate" scandal hitting the fan (most of family arrested), some say the notorious over-zealous press in Montreal will make it damn near impossible for Theo to keep his head in the game... that trading him would be best for all concerned.

I think that no matter what we should always keep the best one... regardless of money or PR concerns.

It just happens I'm not sure who the best one is, but I'm presently leaning towards Garon.

As I said before, I would have traded Theodore right after his big years. Not only would we have obtained great established talent and/or great prospects and/or dratf picks, but we would have saved quite a few bucks as well. Since we weren't really Cup contenders yet anyway, I would have been more than fine with a Hackett/Garon tandem.

I agree that Tarasov might never come back, but given the lousy season he just experienced, and his AHL success, he might decide otherwise.

I disagree though about Fichaud. I believe he could be a late bloomer. He wasn't that bad in the NHL. He had a .905 save percentage, and that's not bad for a young still developping goalie, especially consired on the team he was on. He's more mature now, and did great for the Dogs last year.

Actually, if I was Philly's or Colorado's GM, and I still hadn't found an established goalie by training camp, I probably would pull a minor league deal with the Habs for Fichaud. He would cost me next to nothing, would make at worse a decent backup, and if I were to be wrong then he could re-inforce my farm team. Low risk, high potential.

As for Ferland, I hope he makes it, but his poor skating abilities could really hurt his chances. Yet, he's developped well so far, and he had a good season this year.

Originally posted by CerebusClones

Yeah, makes you drean, doesn't it?

Unfortunately, probably half our best prospects wont even make it to the NHL :( Im guessing that Higgins and Plekanec are our safest bets.

But you forgot Korneev. From what I've read, he would have even better skills than Markov, and he's a real hard worker, but because of his size he might never make it.

Shasby could maybe also make it as #7 dman.

Maybe Thieniel could pull a Briere, but he's having a real hard time adjusting to pro hockey. Or maybe he should have a little talk with Martin St-Louis.

Im guessing Milroy will make the team. I can, being such an optimistic person :), see him become something like Steve Thomas. Hard working, more than decent stats, and a clutch performer.

I dont totally dislike the chances of Buturlin. He's a long shot, but if he ever makes it, he could be an interesting addition to the roster.

Also, I doubt Theodore will be here when we become Cup contenders. It's got nothing to do with his last season (I would have traded him before anyway), and Im sure he will become very reliable again... but with Garon, Michaud, Tarasov, and even Fichaud all waiting, and considering our lack of top notch offensive talent, I just can't see how we cold not trade him for an established top scorer or some top offensive prospects... that's jst my opinion. If it weren't for our goalie prospects, I would say keep Theo...

Sorry but Korneev is no Markov. Markov was the top defsensemen in the RSL before he came over, as we were lucky to get him at 162nd overall. Korneev, taken 275th in a weak draft does have good skills (from what I saw at the WJC's and I've spoken with the editiors of russianinsider and russianprospects.com). Korneev played a full season in the RSL this year, and was moved up to the top pairing on defense, plus he should play for Team Russia at the WJC's in decemeber this year. He's known for his offence abilities, but his size really hurts him for a blueliner, as he uses his stick more then taking the body. Markov did the same thing, but this year he showed a much more physical side to him, so who knows.

Shasby I like, but he needs to be signed before he can do anything with the Habs. I hope he is signed to play in Hamilton next year.

Thinel did have a better season this year, after a shaky rookie season last year. I got to see him play one game on a line with Eric Landry, he was much better then he was in the past, as he seemed better along the boards and more physical, but the depth at RW really hurts him, don't expect anything big from him, IMO.

Milroy I like a lot, but with his size, he needs to find an extra gear to get away from checkers. I think a few years in the AHL will be good for him, as he has a great wrist shot, and is very sound positionally.

Buturlin had a much much better season, after having a poor one last year in his return to the RSL. He played on the top line for Lada who had a great season. Don't know if he will ever come back.

As for the goalies, I can't get over how good Garon played in Hamilton this year, so who knows what the future will hold for him. But after Garon, our top goalie prospect is Joni Puurula. I have never seen him play, but he was named the starter this year, at the age of 21, where he played on one of the top teams in the Finnish Elite League. He's finnished his milatary duties, so he can come over at any time. Another season in Finland (who seem to be producing some great goalie prospects) would be great for him, but he has a very good young goalie on his tail. He will have to fight to be the starter next year, as boston's 1st round pick from '02 is very talented.

I just want to warn Cerebus about Fichaud...

HE'S 42!!!!

WAY TOO OLD TO BE A GOALIE!!!

ESPECIALLY IN THE NHL!!!

Just stick with Garon, Michaud and Tarasov, we'll be fine.

Originally posted by TheAussiePosse

I just want to warn Cerebus about Fichaud...

HE'S 42!!!!

WAY TOO OLD TO BE A GOALIE!!!

ESPECIALLY IN THE NHL!!!

Just stick with Garon, Michaud and Tarasov, we'll be fine.

He's one year older then Theodore. He's 27, and our backup to the backup. :hlogo:

Serious?

well i'll be damned.

I take off my hat, montreal.

:king: to :D

You can wear my crown.

Just don't forget to put it on the hat rack on the way out

BTW, Fichaud won't ever play in the NHL again as an NHL goalie. He's not good enough. Am I correct in that assumption?

Originally posted by TheAussiePosse

Serious?

well i'll be damned.

I take off my hat, montreal.

:king: to :D

You can wear my crown.

Just don't forget to put it on the hat rack on the way out

BTW, Fichaud won't ever play in the NHL again as an NHL goalie. He's not good enough. Am I correct in that assumption?

I guess you were joking around about Fichaud's age, I wasn't sure if you were kidding or not.

Will Fichaud play in the NHL again? Only if one of Theodore or Garon get injured for any length of time. But more importantly, we have a goalie with NHL experience to work with Michaud, all the while helping to keep our farm team a competitive team. I'm glad he will be back for another season. I had hoped that Tarasov would come back, cause I don't have much faith in Michaud, but I guess he will stay in the RSL. :wall: