#12 Montreal Canadiens @ Ottawa Senators 7:30 PM EDT

Commandant

Much better. A lot more opportunistic, and a solid forecheck that generated turnovers (against a weak defence, but it this is where good habits can start). The work effort seems very good tonight. The respective passes by Cammalleri and Eller were both deft and unselfish. In fact, the two of them have been standouts so far. Blunden is doing some solid work as well, and Spacek has been extremely solid.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cammy isnt great defensively... but JM's system forces him to at least come back and work in his own end. Wilson gives Kessel much more freedom to float. Hence the +/- numbers of both players the last couple years.

What hands on Eller... what hands.

I do agree that our system can be offensively stifling, but we have created lots of chances this season. Kessel has made the most of his chances. I am convinced he would be our leading scorer.

Great, Sean Avery will make his season debut.. against the habs.. :(

I agree that with how hot Kessel has been, he'd be our leading scorer (although with less points than he has in Toronto). Hes just been red hot.

I don't know if that is sustainable though, his conversion rate, his shooting percentage, its insane right now. Would he finish our leading scorer? I don't know, but he'd be in our top 3 I think.

I honestly see him and Cammy as similar players (both can go through incredible hot streaks and cold streaks), and both are defensively suspect sniping wingers. Remember Cammy scored 39 and 82 pts in Calgary, both more than Kessel has ever done.

I just think that our system stiffles points somewhat for the good of wins. While the more wide open Leafs score more goals, but don't win more in the long run.

I agree that with how hot Kessel has been, he'd be our leading scorer (although with less points than he has in Toronto). Hes just been red hot.

I don't know if that is sustainable though, his conversion rate, his shooting percentage, its insane right now. Would he finish our leading scorer? I don't know, but he'd be in our top 3 I think.

I honestly see him and Cammy as similar players (both can go through incredible hot streaks and cold streaks), and both are defensively suspect sniping wingers. Remember Cammy scored 39 and 82 pts in Calgary, both more than Kessel has ever done.

I just think that our system stiffles points somewhat for the good of wins. While the more wide open Leafs score more goals, but don't win more in the long run.

Oh I think Cammy WAS a Kessel.. he just isn't any more. Gomez was once an offensive star too. :)

and there is the soft penalty call the Ottawa coach asked for... last 1:30 on the PP..

BS..

this is what you get when you sit back on a one goal lead.. just waiting for the ref to screw you... hold on Price.. time to earn your pay.

just got back from a long trek across canada for work (Spent the 4 out of the last 5 weeks traveling coast to coast from Vancouver to St. John) and managed to catch the third period. That's four wins in a row, but man, can we win some games without needing to keep the cardiac unit handy??

Both, but you can always tell when JM stops the two man fore check.

JM stops it, or the players do?

Muller said many times last year; the coaches don't tell the team to stop forechecking with the lead, and they don't tell them to go into that shell, but the other team presses, you get caught on your heels, and the team just starts sitting back naturally.

just got back from a long trek across canada for work (Spent the 4 out of the last 5 weeks traveling coast to coast from Vancouver to St. John) and managed to catch the third period. That's four wins in a row, but man, can we win some games without needing to keep the cardiac unit handy??

Nah, it's a tradition. By now, most Hab fans should have the portable unit right near the TV remote.

JM stops it, or the players do?

Muller said many times last year; the coaches don't tell the team to stop forechecking with the lead, and they don't tell them to go into that shell, but the other team presses, you get caught on your heels, and the team just starts sitting back naturally.

I don't believe it. I watch many other teams and rarely see this, while I see it all the time with JM. It was the same when he coached Ottawa.

I am sure it happens naturally, but good coaches don't sit there watching, they yell and get the 3rd or 4th line out there to change up the momentum.. JM writes little notes on his paper...

I don't believe it. I watch many other teams and rarely see this, while I see it all the time with JM. It was the same when he coached Ottawa.

How many 3rd period comebacks do the Senators have this season in the exact same situation? How have the done it? by pressing the other team back in the third period. They did it to Florida, they did it done 3 to the Rangers, they nearly came back from 4 on the Leafs, its something that team has done all year. Its not just against us.

How many 3rd period comebacks do the Senators have this season in the exact same situation? How have the done it? by pressing the other team back in the third period. They did it to Florida, they did it done 3 to the Rangers, they nearly came back from 4 on the Leafs, its something that team has done all year. Its not just against us.

No one is arguing that teams can't pour it on, but how many teams show a consistent pattern of sitting back and take less that 5 or 6 shots in the third with a one goal lead...

How often do we see the habs push back hard and blow a team out in the third....

I watch other teams and see bad shifts with pushback.. I don't see that from the habs too often.

I am sure it happens naturally, but good coaches don't sit there watching,

they yell and get the 3rd or 4th line out there to change up the momentum.. JM writes little notes on his paper...

Go on CTV and dig up archivEs of Mike Babcock saying the exact same thing about his all star gold medal olympic team. He's an OK coach by my way of thinking.