#12 Montreal Canadiens @ Ottawa Senators 7:30 PM EDT

Commandant

Go on CTV and dig up archivEs of Mike Babcock saying the exact same thing about his all star gold medal olympic team. He's an OK coach by my way of thinking.

We saw it happen to Team Canada's WJC team in the gold medal game too.

This isn't a phenomenon that is unique to the Habs.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I rate this win as a pleasant surprise. Usually a loooong layoff like that results in a team laying an egg. That we didn't is a weird credit to the coaches and players.

As for hanging on to win, meh. We also lose our share of close games where we press the opposition like crazy late and fail to score. At such times, nobody criticizes the opposition - rather we blame the Habs for failing to capitalize, or for waiting too long to get desperate, etc.. Take the wins as they come and enjoy them!!!

The only tactic Martin changed was shortening his bench in the 3rd. Didn't see the 4th line once for an even strength shift from what I saw.

Ottawa has been dominant in the third periods all through this year. They're making their living playing desperate.

The only tactic Martin changed was shortening his bench in the 3rd. Didn't see the 4th line once for an even strength shift from what I saw.

Ottawa has been dominant in the third periods all through this year. They're making their living playing desperate.

What he said.

Yes, Montreal did back off a bit on their forecheck, but I'd mostly give Ottawa credit for what we witnessed in the third. Their tenacity exposed what remains mediocre breakout passing by most Canadiens defencemen, most notably Diaz and Gill, the new third pairing. Subban was an exception - he is so dominant with the puck I think we all just take for granted what he does against top opponents. We call it a sophomore slump because he isn't trending for 50 points. Yet.

Markov's return is going to make a huge difference in the breakout pass department (and many others).

At this point I wouldn't touch Spac and Weber. Spac is playing dynamite on the left and Weber is impressive on his right. They make a high class third pair.

I guess it's gotta be Gorges back on the right side with Markov on his left, and Gill with Subban. It's a bummer. I'd rather see Gill in the pressbox and Markov paired with Emelin (can he play the right side well? I haven't noticed) or the righty Diaz.

But who's kidding who? The vets will play.