Gionta

Not to be a controversialist, but - is there any concern over the captain and his play? I'm not saying he's been bad. But he hasn't exactly been awesome either.

In terms of simple production and numbers, Gio got 46 points last season. That he scored 29 goals is reassuring, since he *is* primarily a goal scorer and we should no more lambaste him for modest assists totals than we should attack Gomez for low goals totals. Nonetheless, that's was his worst points output per game since his sophomore year. This season, he is on a 40-point pace and has a grand total of two goals. Hmmm.

Now, I know that people will praise his leadership and relentless hustle. But for a guy making $5 million per season until 2014, it seems worth asking whether this level of production is acceptable and at what point we should start worrying about it.

Thoughts?

I've been worried too, but I'm confident he'll shake it off. Part of his problem has been that Gio has been taking much less shots than in years past (this year he's averaging 1.83 shots per game whereas last year he was shooting 3.64 shots per game). I'm sure part of this can be attributed to a deeper Montreal lineup and the powerplay not clicking as well as before, but it could be that Gionta knows that he is struggling and is simply waiting for perfect shots instead of firing away as usual. In any event, I'm sure he'll turn things around, and that his ultimate decline hasn't begun just yet.

Not being controversialist at all Mr. Cucumber. That's the point of this website, otherwise we might as well close it down. I think we've got a good team. But we have some scary looking contracts, and Gionta is one of them. The story about how Gio was in contact with Lamouriello when the deal was being done with the Habs, and how Lou told him he's gotta take our offer, because it blows the Devils offer, and all others, out of the water. That scares me. Sure, just a story, could be true though. If his production slows, he becomes very difficult to move, he already is anyway. I hope it's chemistry with his line mates, I'll leave dreaming up lines to others.

The thing with Gio is that he is working hard. You can see him trying on the ice, when a player works that hard his game will eventually pick up on the stat sheet. He will be able to play his way out of it.

Also he would have a lot of pressure on him as the captain over the first few weeks when we were all calling for blood :P

When Markov comes back and Montreal starts winning the leadership weight my lessen and he will perform better.

The whole team had a rough start so I think this season is to early to judge based on stat production alone.

I don't get too caught up with point totals on this team. It is generally a balanced attack with a low-scoring output. You could take most players off of this team and put them on other teams and their numbers would go way up. As long as the team is getting wins, I could care less about goals or assists. Although......it would be nice to have a team that put up a bunch of points on the board and to have a guy at least in the top ten in scoring....but that's not going to happen the way it is now.

It's worth noting but not cause for concern at the moment since the team is winning. Rarely do the Habs have everyone clicking at once, it's just Gionta's turn to be scuffling. If it's the same thing in a few weeks from now, then it could be more of a problem.

The Gazette is reporting that Gio was hurt for the first three weeks as well.

The captain has six points in his last six games and along with Pleks and Price was THE difference-maker against the Dogs. Maybe we can put this thread to rest. :habslogo: