Turgeon waived / Gainey talk

Habs77

Was apparently bought out by the Stars for his last season:

- hopefully as with Robitaille we'll stay far away from him

- another Gainey signing that didn't work out, just food for thought while Gainey rumors are swirling in Montreal.

I'll still take Gainey over AS though... I rather have AS concentrate of scouting.

[Edited on 14-5-03 by Habs77]

[Edited on 17-5-03 by Habs77]

Do you really think AS would step aside like that. That would be a real beating to his ego...

Z

Originally posted by dlbalr

Well, Turgeon was waived today.  Does anyone think he'll be claimed?  I don't...

No way! He has something like 3 years and 20 million $$$ left on his contract. No team is crazy enough to pick him up...

I still dont know why the stars gave him a 5 year contract.... Damn that was stupid.

Do we really want Bob Gainey as our GM? lol

BTW here is a new Gainey article (no mention of the habs directly though , the article is more about his non-hockey life)

Click Here

"I think NHL things will normally happen between now and the end of June," he said. "That wouldn't completely close off that something might come around in the summer, but most of the positions whether it's in management, the organization or coaching, whatever it might be, they usually try to fill before the draft."

More on Gainey and how his contract with the Stars expires in June... guess he'd wait 'til after his contract expires before announcing his eventual taking over of the GM duties in Montreal if the rumors are true.

http://www.rds.ca/cgi-bin/nouvelles?site=r...on&sport=#80464

We'll have to be patient.. :z

P.S. Think Martin will keep his job if Ottawa is bounced by NJ, especially the way they've come out with no emotion so far?

I had heard AS would go after if he became available, even if he had just signed CJ.... but will AS still be GM come June?

Ahh, so many unknowns... :?-

[Edited on 17-5-03 by Habs77]

MAY 23, 2003.

STARS TO EXPLORE TRADE OPTIONS WITH TURGEON?

DALLAS MORNING NEWS: Mike Heika reports the agent for centre Pierre Turgeon won't accept any contract buyout proposals from the Stars, but he is open to studying "a potential trade". Bob Sauve also claimed the Stars received several trade inquiries regarding his client when he was put on waivers, some of which Turgeon may wish to consider. Sauve said his client might consider waiving his no-trade clause if "a particularly good team makes a particularly good offer" to the Stars.  

Spector's Note: My thanks to Chris Dawson for this one. Obviously no team is willing to take on the $20 million remaining on Turgeon's contract, so the Stars would have no choice but to "eat" a portion of his salary to move him. No word on who the interested teams may be, and Turgeon's no-trade clause will ensure he won't go to just anyone. One team that could use some help at centre is the Montreal Canadiens, but given how shabbily Turgeon was treated as a member of the Habs in the mid-90s, I doubt he'd be willing to repeat the experience.

What a lazy, half-baked comment... he's French Canadian so of course the Habs rumor is born.

Not to mention that we are looking to get younger, bigger, cheaper... not older, smaller, more expensive.

It's not Turgeon who wouldn't be willing to come back, it's us who have no use for him and his salary.

We have Koivu, Ribs, Perreault, Juneau for now... and Higgins has been signed. I wouldn't take Turgeon if they paid us to take him. :monkey: