Canadiens @ Ducks - Movember 30th, 2011

bar

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Haha forgive the picture I have up there, I am still saddened at the loss of the captain I have known most for my time following the habs.

So forgiven. I miss him too.

• Upvote 1

Another game where they blew all their early chances and then let the other team back into the game.

Another game where they couldn't convert on the PP and it cost them.

Another game where I watch the other team keep pressing in the 3rd with the lead, forcing the Habs back on their heels and taking penalties. Why can't we do that?

Now I know why Markov isn't playing.. would you want to play with this team?

So the ducks soundly beat the Habs 4-1 after starting off poorly in the first period and then they fire their coach.

How long is PG going to wait before finally firing Martin?????? Obviously Pearn was not the reason for the Pathetic PP. I also think it is stupid to say it's so bad because of no Markov. If a coach can't fix a PP that doesn't work after a quarter of a season and the excuse is that he is missing one player, then he has no business coaching at this level.

Using Darche to send a message is the wrong message. BTW, how is Sutter's team doing now? Both of these guys are dinosaur coaches who the game has passed by.

Too bad Muller is n

o longer available.

Bringing Markov on this trip + calling up Leblanc = desperate moves from a coach that wants to save his job? Is this trip to California his last chance? I almost hope so but fireing Martin now is just stupid... shouldve been done when we still had a chance of Kirk Muller for new Head Coach. Now who do we get? Boudreau?

Bringing Markov on this trip + calling up Leblanc = desperate moves from a coach that wants to save his job? Is this trip to California his last chance? I almost hope so but fireing Martin now is just stupid... shouldve been done when we still had a chance of Kirk Muller for new Head Coach. Now who do we get? Boudreau?

Wouldn't wanted the fat loudmouth Boudrea anyway, but Anaheim just hired him.

They brought nothing against the coldest team in the league.

Well... now the former coldest team.

They didnt play well, but there is a difference between not playing well and quitting on the coach.

If they quit,it won't even be a debate.

Bringing your best player on a trip when he is very close to returning.... plus even if he doesn't return its known that the guy needs some vigorous contact practices with the rest of the team and he is not gonna get that in Montreal.

Calling up the best forward in Hamilton, when Patches was suspended..

These really seem like desperation moves to you? Honestly?

On a night when we needed more scoring, why reduce Cole's TOI by three or four minutes? Was he injured? There's probably a reasonable explanation... Martin doesn't really like him. I know that's how I decide how to use my players.

Two points out of 8th, folks. I know this loss is a bummer, but let's keep some perspective.

2 points out of eight true but we've also played more games than anyone between 5th and 14th. So if we all played the same amount of games are we still 2 points out or are we 5 points out of 8th?

Over the next 20 games do we make up those points or are we now 4-10 points out?

Always 2 sides to every argument.

2 points out of eight true but we've also played more games than anyone between 5th and 14th. So if we all played the same amount of games are we still 2 points out or are we 5 points out of 8th?

Over the next 20 games do we make up those points or are we now 4-10 points out?

Always 2 sides to every argument.

Sure. But the goal is to be in playoff position and right now we are one win away from that goal. It's akin to trailing 1-0 after one period. You can say, 'OMG!! If we let in two more goals the game will be out of reach!!!' Or you can keep a cool head and say there's lots of time remaining and a very modest hill to climb. Good teams do the latter. I repeat: stay cool.

This was a perfect opportunity to take advantage of a team that had lost 16 of its last 18 games... Let me repeat that for those who might have missed what I just said. The Ducks had lost 16 of their last 18 games!! They didn't even show up for the first 15 minutes of the 1st period. We had a 1 goal lead and we got 3 PP opportunities and we choked on every single one of them.

0-7 on the PP is unacceptable. I can understand that Markov isn't around, I've been using that excuse all year now, but at a certain point, we can't expect Markov to fix all of our problems. This team has some serious issues that Markov won't be able to fix on his own...starting with the passive aggressive style JM has had them playing for the past 2 seasons. They don't have that killer instinct. Everytime we are up by a goal or two, we aren't capable of "finishing-off" the other team, whereas with the exception of 1 game, as soon as we fall behind, it's pretty much game over.

Our boys are in a sad situation, and even the arrival of Markov won't be enough to put us over the top.

Sure. But the goal is to be in playoff position and right now we are one win away from that goal. It's akin to trailing 1-0 after one period. You can say, 'OMG!! If we let in two more goals the game will be out of reach!!!' Or you can keep a cool head and say there's lots of time remaining and a very modest hill to climb. Good teams do the latter. I repeat: stay cool.
I understand how you look at things, and I've tried to remain cool for most of the season (mostly because I told myself that Markov would help us turn this season around), but time is starting to run out. You might say that we still have 57 games to play, and you're right, but I don't know if you had a chance to read my comment in the Sharks GDT? If you didn't, here's what I wrote there.

Since the Lock-out season, of all the teams who were out of the Playoffs as of December 1st, only one team has ever managed to claw its way into the playoffs... the 09-10 Flyers who did it by beating the Rangers in a SO on the final game of the season. So, today is Dec 1st, and where are our Habs? 12th in the east. Had we been in 9th place , with a game in hand on the 8th place team and only 2 points behind, I wouldn't worry too much. The problem the Habs have is that they aren't in 9th. They are in 12th. That means there are 3 other teams between them and 8th place. Three other teams that wanna make the playoffs just as much as our boys. 3 other teams that all have 1 or 2 games in hand on the Habs. So in reality, when those other teams catch up to us in the number of games played, you can be sure that one of them will win those games in hand, and we will find ourselves 4, 5 maybe 6 points out of a playoff spot. It will take a minor miracle for this team to make the playoffs.

I just sat down and watched the full game (yes, start to finish, willingly). I liked the start, the counter-attack in particular was strong and led to the goal plus a few other chances. Even the second period wasn't terrible, the PK (though the streak did wind up being snapped) was pretty good while the 5-on-5 play had its moments. The 3rd, well, we know what happened there.

The powerplay...funny enough I had mentioned in one of the threads that Gorges might be worth trying in a pinch if they're trying to shake things up. Well, that didn't work, nor did playing Subban (who shockingly was only credited with 1 giveaway, I had him with a lot more than that in my notes) more and on the top wave at times. The notion of running it through the points isn't working (and doesn't without a pure QB like Markov), I think the 2-1-2 PP (two down low, one middle inside the defensive box and two point guys) is what they need to work on. Less finesse, more jam.

Looking at who took the penalties, St. Denis had his fourth. I mention this as he hasn't taken one yet in Hamilton in twice as many games. Perhaps a sign the speed of the game is a little overwhelming? Subban with a pair of dumb ones as well, wasn't his finest game to say the least. Gotta give some props to Gill for 11 blocked shots though, certainly impressive in any situation.

I'm pretty sure this wasn't a team quitting on the coach. Had it been, we wouldn't have seen the start we did. The Ducks play a put-you-to-sleep game (or played now) when they have the lead and they basically trapped their way to victory. Given the lineup the Habs iced (missing over $20 million worth of regulars meaning once again, this was a below-floor squad), that's going to happen as the horses aren't there to break through the trap consistently. I've seen teams lay the proverbial egg before (maybe we need to bring that back, it worked for a while in the GDT's), I didn't get that sense from watching just now.

Well said and no need to panick quite yet.

Yemelin and Eller continue to improve and Gorges and Gill are doing wonders defending, just need that 6 million dollar man and Subban to snap out of it and play like pros.