Canadiens vs Sharks: Dec 1st (A very sarcastic GDT)

Trizzak

The team is trying to lose. There really is no other explanation.

Clearly we just don't understand the game. A coach with the track record and silverware of Martin's pedigree has infinitely more hockey sense than do we peasants. When that female reporter said something about Cole and the PP, it was then discovered that Martin was purposefully holding Cole off the unit to see if we, the plebes, could figure it out. Imagine his chuckle when he put Cole out and there were immediate dividends - did he ever show us!

that was so painful to watch..especially because the habs just...well..theres no nicer way to put it..facked me out of 354 dollars on proline :wall: loss is entirely on Martin and his STUPID decision making putting TRAVIS MOEN in the shootout....his fuse just went KABOOM..make it happen PG..if PG doesn't do it then upper management better step in and do something..this is unacceptable hockey....they blew it. I gotta also say price was a friggin sieve in the shootout too....

Martin: "Hey David, you had a really great game out there tonight."

Desharnais: "Yeah, thanks coach."

Martin: "A 3 point night, plus a goal in the shootout to keep us alive. Very impressive"

Desharnais: "I was really feeling it out there."

Martin: "Yeah, I'm gonna have to ask you to stop that."

Desharnais: "...what's that coach?"

Martin: "David, we need to lose a lot of games until Markov comes back so we can put an enormous amount of pressure on him to make his return all the more glorious."

Desharnais: "I dunno, coach... couldn't we win a couple?"

Martin: "Young man, if you bring that kind of attitude to the game on Saturday, I'll play you with Darche"

Desharnais: "Tabernac! Sorry coach!"

/the preceding conversation didn't actually happen... Martin never talks to his players.

• Upvote 1

But... what the ###### was Moen doing on the shootout? I'm surprised he didn't dump it into the corner and try to grind it out.

They had the lead 3 times and gave it up every time.

They had a chance to win the game in the shootout, and the coach picks Moen.

The team is trying to lose. There really is no other explanation.

Moen scores and Martin looks like a genius. I don't blame Martin on this one. Like Brodziak last night winning the shutoot for Minnesota against his former team the Oilers. Moen was a good pick against his former team. Alright, he only played 19 games for the Sharks.

Would have been Max Pax taking the shot. I would have prefered Plekanec over Subban though. Isn't Plekanec our best player? But hey, we're far remote from the game and don't even see team practices. We have to trust the coaches to make those decisions.

/the preceding conversation didn't actually happen... Martin never talks to his players.

Pff. Talking to players. If they can't read his mind, what good are they?

We have to trust the coaches to make those decisions.

I tried really, *really* hard not to laugh out loud, but I completely failed. Now my dog is barking, my boy is awake and my wife is indicating that, like the Habs, I'm just not going to score when it counts.

Moen scores and Martin looks like a genius.

If Moen scores it's in spite of himself.

Does anyone actually think his career year is anything more than a well placed horseshoe? He is not a good choice for a shootout.

Moen scores and Martin looks like a genius. I don't blame Martin on this one. Like Brodziak last night winning the shutoot for Minnesota against his former team the Oilers. Moen was a good pick against his former team. Alright, he only played 19 games for the Sharks.

Would have been Max Pax taking the shot. I would have prefered Plekanec over Subban though. Isn't Plekanec our best player? But hey, we're far remote from the game and don't even see team practices. We have to trust the coaches to make those decisions.

Plekanec is 3/20 career.

Pff. Talking to players. If they can't read his mind, what good are they?

I tried really, *really* hard not to laugh out loud, but I completely failed. Now my dog is barking, my boy is awake and my wife is indicating that, like the Habs, I'm just not going to score when it counts.

Good for you :)

It's just too easy to blame the coach when his guy doesn't score. In the end, Moen is our leading goal scorer. Blame Gauthier, not Martin ;)

Plekanec is 3/20 career.

Ouch. Where do you get those stats?

It's just too easy to blame the coach when his guy doesn't score. In the end, Moen is our leading goal scorer. Blame Gauthier, not Martin ;)

Well, all due respect, but I think it's really, really easy to blame the coach for that decision. Moen isn't our leading scorer because of the fancy-dancy plays he makes. He gets goals by being in the right spot because he knows how to go to the net. (And yes, I know he scores the original beaut, but like my brother-in-law says, even a blind squirrel can find a nut.)

Ouch. Where do you get those stats?

NHL.com ---> Stats ----> Shootout career.

On another note, since we need a french speaking coach, and Martin used Cole in the shootout, maybe we should fire him and hire Marc Crawford.

Cause his decision making in shootouts has never been wrong.

Well, all due respect, but I think it's really, really easy to blame the coach for that decision. Moen isn't our leading scorer because of the fancy-dancy plays he makes. He gets goals by being in the right spot because he knows how to go to the net. (And yes, I know he scores the original beaut, but like my brother-in-law says, even a blind squirrel can find a nut.)

All I can say is kudos to the coach for making a decision like that. This is the kind of decision that can backfire pretty hard.

One question though.. did the coach sent Moen after Boyle's miss or before? If it was after, then he knew that if Moen failed, Habs were still alive. Thus he sent him then, and kept Subban for the must score situation.

All I can say is kudos to the coach for making a decision like that. This is the kind of decision that can backfire pretty hard.

One question though.. did the coach sent Moen after Boyle's miss or before? If it was after, then he knew that if Moen failed, Habs were still alive. Thus he sent him then, and kept Subban for the must score situation.

:ph34r: So, he sent Moen out thinking he might fail? And yes, he had Subban in his pocket, but he also had Kostitsyn. Amongst many others.

NHL.com ---> Stats ----> Shootout career.

On another note, since we need a french speaking coach, and Martin used Cole in the shootout, maybe we should fire him and hire Marc Crawford.

Cause his decision making in shootouts has never been wrong.

Cool the stats. Desharnais has a better average than Jussi Jokinen yeah

:ph34r: So, he sent Moen out thinking he might fail? And yes, he had Subban in his pocket, but he also had Kostitsyn. Amongst many others.

Would be interesting to know when the decision is made. I know the first 3 shooters are written on a piece of paper and given to the ref, but after that..

Would be interesting to know when the decision is made. I know the first 3 shooters are written on a piece of paper and given to the ref, but after that..

You're right, it would be interesting to know how that works. But after all that... he still chose Moen! LOL Don't get me wrong, I *love* Moen and what he brings to the team. He's the consummate team player, and a hard-nosed guy who can also pot a few. However, even if he was playing against his old team, do you really, honestly, for real and for true, believe Moen to have been the best choice? Would you, in that circumstance, look down at your bench and, despite all the talent sitting there, choose Moen to take the shot? I mean, I get the psychology behind it all, and I respect that it was a tough call, but the team is struggling and really, really needed its guys with hands out there to make something happen during the shootout.

Man, that's like subbing in Bill Buckner at 1st when you need to improve the defensive outlook of your game. It's like putting in JC Watts (dating myself again) at QB expecting him to take over the game. It's like asking Kristen Stewart to act!

No, heavens no. The secret to the Jaques Martin Super Style Coaching is to bench and limit guys who are talented, thus rewarding those who have oodles of skill at telling jokes on the team bus! Moen may not have scored, but man is his comedic timing brilliant. Kosty? Too Belarussian to really tell a rewarding joke. Which, of course, is why Eller and his incomprehensible humour has sat extensively this season to the benefit of "Chuckles" Darche! (Though not as much recently, which is a testament to how poorly the 'Martin's mom' joke went over on the bus... Darche, still paying for that one.)

I'm with you on Kosty, but Eller has been given time with talent and hasn't put the points up. i think he is great, but so far this year and last, I think he is a perfect third liner. That may improve, and I say this a lot, but Eller has no finish yet. I can't complain about his minutes cuz he doesn't put up the points. He has great hands and puck control and I really like his play in all zones, but I think you guys are expecting too much of him.

You're right, it would be interesting to know how that works. But after all that... he still chose Moen! LOL Don't get me wrong, I *love* Moen and what he brings to the team. He's the consummate team player, and a hard-nosed guy who can also pot a few. However, even if he was playing against his old team, do you really, honestly, for real and for true, believe Moen to have been the best choice? Would you, in that circumstance, look down at your bench and, despite all the talent sitting there, choose Moen to take the shot? I mean, I get the psychology behind it all, and I respect that it was a tough call, but the team is struggling and really, really needed its guys with hands out there to make something happen during the shootout.

Man, that's like subbing in Bill Buckner at 1st when you need to improve the defensive outlook of your game. It's like putting in JC Watts (dating myself again) at QB expecting him to take over the game. It's like asking Kristen Stewart to act!

still, he didnt leave gretzky on the bench. it's a gut feeling and if moen scores, martin looks like a genius sending supersnipes againts his former team, as brodziak did against his former team last night.

I'm with you on Kosty, but Eller has been given time with talent and hasn't put the points up. i think he is great, but so far this year and last, I think he is a perfect third liner. That may improve, and I say this a lot, but Eller has no finish yet. I can't complain about his minutes cuz he doesn't put up the points. He has great hands and puck control and I really like his play in all zones, but I think you guys are expecting too much of him.

When was Eller given this time with top players?

When has he got the PP minutes ?

Has he even played one game over 18 minutes this year?

Eller needs a chance to do more that I agree, I am not sure of the exact way to do it but I would agree he needs to be thrown out there for an extra shift or two whenever possible.

On a side note man does Desharnais confuse me. The kid has looked pretty horrible for a 2-3 game period. Just when it looks like he shouldn't be centering that line he has a game like last night where he looked dangerous on most shifts. He is truly a hard player to figure out.

Some nights he is man handled by bigger players, last night I thought he played bigger than Jumbo Joe.

Some nights he is 25 % in the FO circle and other nights 80%.

Some nights you never hear his name, other nights he nets 3 points.

What a conundrum Mr. Desharnais is.

For the first time in a very long time, I went to bed last night without watching a single minute of a Habs game. Looks like I made the right decision. Once again, we couldn't hold on to the lead.

Seeing as I didn't watch the game, I don't know if our boys sat on the lead or even if they played a good game, but with another loss to our record, they are making things harder and harder for themselves.

If we want to finish with the same number of points as last year and assure ourselves of a playoff spot, the Habs will have to pick up 71 points in their final 56 games...that comes out to a record of 33 wins -18 losses - and 5 OT/SO losses...like I said yesterday, its gonna take a miracle for that to happen.

What is more indicative of coaching: the decision to use Moen as 5th shooter (!) in the SO, or the fact that the team battled incredibly hard all night long against a powerful team in the second game of a back-to-backer in which all the 'fan experts' predicted they'd get blown out, and only lost in the shootout?

This exemplifies what I've been saying, I think. The Martin haters generally miss the forest for the trees. The 'forest' is a team that is, on the whole, playing a strong team game, with individuals working hard, buying in and sacrificing for the whole and playing an effective system, and remaining in a position to make the playoffs despite key injuries - while being let down on the PP for reasons mainly having to do with the lack of qualified defencemen to run it. The 'trees' is specific decisions about player X being used at some specific moment in game Y, and hoarding up memories of these supposed 'mistakes'...and often without considering the wider context of those decisions to boot (e.g., whether their preferred player had just finished a shift, that sort of thing).

The fact is, this was a strong bounce-back game that yielded a much-needed point against powerful opposition under arduous circumstances.

I agree with CC. Here is a guy with 600 NHL wins.

A guy whose system has worked with this same group for 2 years.

Do we really believe he forgot how to coach hockey overnight?  Or that the system is no longer suited to a group that is essentially the same group that it worked so well for?

Those arguments are extremely hard to make.

So we turn to the ridiculous cliche that he's "lost the room.".

You watch a game like last night and its pretty clear the team is still working hard for this staff.