Kaberle to Montreal

Colin

If Kaberle can recapture at least some of his dominance he had when he was a Leaf, this will be a huge steal. I don't know why he struggled so much in Boston (every player struggles now and then?), but remember he has played all of this season with the God-aweful Hurricanes, a team on which Eric Staal is a -17 and has less goals than Travis Moen. Habs might not being doing a whole better lately, but it's certainly not for want of talent. Playing with better players should help to elevate his game.

There is a difference between a natural lefty who loos completely lost on the right side (like Spacek)... and a natural lefty who looks like they could dapt to the right side, like Gorges and Emelin.

emelin has seen zero action on the right in pre season or in games and is still trying to be positonally sound on the left... not saying he cant slide over but with communication with his teammates a huge factor.. until markov returns he'll be on the left!

i think something else is in the works

Interesting. Still haven't fully digested this. Spacek is at the end of his contract, and there's the distinct possibility he retires. Habs get younger and while they take on a slightly larger contract, they still get an asset that can potentially be useful (I know, I know). I suspect he was acquired to help out the PP, and I hope it has nothing to do with Markov. There's reason to hope that this means there's going to be some other move, since the Habs are getting healthy at the back. If nothing else happens, this is a worse-than-brutal desperation move - except for the fact it means the Habs can ice fewer rookies and kids at the back. But that only matters if he plays better than Diaz and Weber. Also interesting is the timing - Campoli is back in the lineup on Sat as well. That means Subban, Gorges, Emelin (unless Martin is off his rocker), Kaberle, Campoli and designate X. Perhaps with Weber going to play wing... It *does* make us look a little deeper - if you ignore Kaberle's recent history.

I'll admit my head is still spinning. I can see pros and cons and I'm more interested in my Hemingway train-of-thought writing and listening to others than I am in making any kind of judgement. So many points of view all have validity.

This deal just seems like a desperate attempt to make something happen. And the cap hit is scary looking. And he's INJURED no less. Oh and he SUCKS lately. So basically, we took on this contract, but have to hope, and wait and see. That maybe, just maybe, he can somehow manage to get back to a level he was at in Toronto. Personally, I'm tired of the negativity. Tired of the team blowing leads. I want to be a glass half full guy. This doesn't help. This is a wait and see and hope and pray deal.

I am going to reserve judgment til I see him play. Many players have been written off as toast only to get a new life with a new team, some even close to the vest in regards to the habs (Riberio, Beauchiman, Grabsac, etc).

So if this gets the PP going I am happy.

In pure hockey terms, this is a steal of a deal. In cap-crunching numbers terms, not so much. We just have to hope there's enough money to re-sign the guys we want to stay around in the off season. And also hope that this isn't anything to do with Markov's recovery.

And as a former Leaf/Bruin, this just seems wrong.

Short term it's an interesting change: More offense, better outlet passer, younger, cup winner (though some might argue it was in spite of Kaberle and not because of him.)

Long term... it's just weird, man. Who just got told they don't have a future with the Habs? Diaz? Emelin? Does this force Gorges out the door? Does this force a move to get rid of the Gomez contract?

It's just weird.

38 pts in 58 games and just a -2 for a mediocre Leafs-team less than a year ago and people are thinking this is a bad deal? Im hyped about this deal and think its a steal. Bet the Canes couldve gotten more for him at the deadline.

In pure hockey terms, this is a steal of a deal. In cap-crunching numbers terms, not so much. We just have to hope there's enough money to re-sign the guys we want to stay around in the off season. And also hope that this isn't anything to do with Markov's recovery.

And as a former Leaf/Bruin, this just seems wrong.

Steal of a deal?

Spacek 12 games, 3 assists and a+3

Kaberle 29 games, 9 assist and a -12

So if Spacek played the same amount he would basically have 8 points and a +8 and makes $500k less per season with an expiring contract.......different definitions of a steal me thinks.

Only way this works is if Kaberle can regain his Toronto playing days where he was feeding McCabe and/or Phaneuf

We can all agree that it cannot be worse than Spacek right ?

Kaberle is a useless out of shape piece of shit.

Gauthier and Gainey just took of the worst contracts in the league - two has beens in Gomez and Kaberle. Just last week, TSN was reporting Kaberle is untradeable and Rutherford is desparate to dump him. Now, one of the softest teams in the league just got a lot softer.

Kaberle addresses this team's biggest need, a guy to run the PP at the point.

he was't able to help Boston's PP last year. They won the cup in spite of Kaberle.

Kaberle is a useless out of shape piece of shit.

Gauthier and Gainey just took of the worst contracts in the league - two has beens in Gomez and Kaberle. Just last week, TSN was reporting Kaberle is untradeable and Rutherford is desparate to dump him. Now, one of the softest teams in the league just got a lot softer.

Up next.......Penner and DPietro

The question is, what kind of team do you guys think we are? Are we a good team that can contend, or are we a poor to average team that needs to rebuild. If we are a team that can contend, then Kaberle just made the team better. Don't worry about the cap stuff. Kaberle is better than Spacek. Plain and simple. I think even when Markov comes back, if Kaberle takes teh left side and Marky the right, that PP could look pretty good. I've always liked Kaberle. He was Toronto's best player for several years. He was poor after the deadline last year and average this year. We have lots of players like that on the Habs, and we consider them assets. I think this move makes the team better right now.

kaberle to Boston for 2 1st rounders and a 2nd

kaberle for spacek is like giving up nothing! i would of prefered spacek for a 1st rounder though

This is not about what we gave up for Kabalre, this is how much more screwed we are going forward. Kaberle and Gomez = $11.6M/yr.

Great production. So what we are looking at is getting around 45 points IF WE ARE LUCKY between the two bums this year!!!!

Steal of a deal?

Spacek 12 games, 3 assists and a+3

Kaberle 29 games, 9 assist and a -12

So if Spacek played the same amount he would basically have 8 points and a +8 and makes $500k less per season with an expiring contract.......different definitions of a steal me thinks.

Only way this works is if Kaberle can regain his Toronto playing days where he was feeding McCabe and/or Phaneuf

I dunno this seems off. Are you saying that a trade of Moen for E.Stall would not be a steal? Moen has a better +/- and more goals this year.

The question is, what kind of team do you guys think we are? Are we a good team that can contend, or are we a poor to average team that needs to rebuild. If we are a team that can contend, then Kaberle just made the team better. Don't worry about the cap stuff. Kaberle is better than Spacek. Plain and simple. I think even when Markov comes back, if Kaberle takes teh left side and Marky the right, that PP could look pretty good. I've always liked Kaberle. He was Toronto's best player for several years. He was poor after the deadline last year and average this year. We have lots of players like that on the Habs, and we consider them assets. I think this move makes the team better right now.

This is assuming that Kaberle regains his form. That's a big if though. So if kaberle regains that form then yes this is an amazing deal but on 2 teams where he has failed thats a IF

I dunno this seems off. Are you saying that a trade of Moen for E.Stall would not be a steal? Moen has a better +/- and more goals this year.

Yes.

Seriusly though. Kaberle has been a bust for a year and a half. Why would a 4th team in under a year translate to success all of a sudden?

This deal just seems like a desperate attempt to make something happen. And the cap hit is scary looking. And he's INJURED no less. Oh and he SUCKS lately. So basically, we took on this contract, but have to hope, and wait and see. That maybe, just maybe, he can somehow manage to get back to a level he was at in Toronto. Personally, I'm tired of the negativity. Tired of the team blowing leads. I want to be a glass half full guy. This doesn't help. This is a wait and see and hope and pray deal.

This year is done. By not dumping Martin and adding someeone earlier, Gauthier pretty much shot himself in the foot this year. Now he just shot the other foot and hand for next year and the year after!!! If the Molson's aren't willing to eat Gomez's $7.3M/yr cap hit, what are the chances they will eat the Kaberle+Gomez $11.6cap hit!

as bad as Kaberle has been for Carolina, he has 4 PP points in is last 5 games.

Why is it that you are bent on defending PG and Martin know matter how stupid their decisions are???