GDT Garbage Day Trash Canadiens Vs Islander Diaz and Campo in Emelin Sits.

Kaboom

Tonight's controversy Emelin scratched.

Habs Line Up

Cammalleri-Plekanec-Leblanc

Pacioretty-Desharnais-Cole

Moen-Eller-Kostitsyn

Darche-Nokelainen-Weber

Gorges-Subban

Gill-Diaz

Campoli-Kaberle

Price

New York Islanders Line Up

Moulson-Tavares-Parenteau

Okposo-Nielsen-Grabner

Rolston-Bailey-Ullstrom

Martin-Reasoner-Wallace

Streit-Hamonic

Staios-Jurcina

Mottau-Reese

Montoya

Diaz should sit and campoli should be in. Diaz is on a 2 way contract and we can show case campoli for a trade. It is not a knock on diaz at all he has played well but we signed cc to be a top 4 d man and now he is our 7th?

Someone on HIO said that Campoli can only play on the left. Same goes for Gill and Kabs. So you have to split up Subban and Gorges to play Campoli. Diaz is a righty.

Gorges-Subban

Kaberle-Emelin

Gill-Diaz

would have to become something like,

Campoli-Gorges

Kaberle-Subban

Gill-Emelin

Perhaps the problem is that none of those must-play-lefties seem suitable for a top D pairing?

I'd actually rather see Campoli stay in the pressbox and JM try,

Emelin-Gorges

Kaberle-Subban

Gill-Diaz

I'm quite curious to see how playing a regular shift with Kabs would impact PK's goal scoring stats.

Edited by patience is a virtue

Someone on HIO said that Campoli can only play on the left. Same goes for Gill and Kabs. So you have to split up Subban and Gorges to play Campoli. Diaz is a righty.

Well, scratch that theory. Apparently Emelin is out and Campoli is in, with Kabs:

Gorges-Subban

Kabs-Campoli

Gill-Diaz

Is Campoli a shooter?

Cue the freakout.

lol. indeed. i love emelin and really think he is top 4 dman material long-term - a big hitter with some offensive upside. i have no idea if campoli can bring what is required to be a top 4 dman.

yet, i can understand JM on this one. the habs really need to win this game. not the time for emelin to be making errors adjusting to playing on the right.

Right, except the fact that Campoli is playing out of position doesn't make it any better.

Does Campoli give you a better shot playing his wrong side than Emelin? i don't know but his is one soft defense.

Maybe Jm will switch over to playing 8 D.

PG needs to move some Dmen, figure this mess out.

Emelin is a natural Left Dman who has played all of 1 game at the NHL level on the right side.

With Gorges, Gill and Kaberle on the left... the left is set.

The right needs one more player... so they play Diaz there now.

Let Emelin learn to play the right side with Ladoucer, and when he's ready, then he'll be rotated with Diaz... I don't see why this is a problem.

The same thing happened in October. When the season started Emelin sat games and worked extra time with the coaches to learn the new angles of the North American ice. Now we're asking him to switch sides. It makes sense he needs extra practice time.

Right, except the fact that Campoli is playing out of position doesn't make it any better.

Does Campoli give you a better shot playing his wrong side than Emelin? i don't know but his is one soft defense.

Maybe Jm will switch over to playing 8 D.

PG needs to move some Dmen, figure this mess out.

Campoli is a veteran with experience on North American ice, and with experience on the right side at times in Ottawa.

Emelin was causing teams to have pause entering the habs zone, they were looking with their heads on a swivel when him or Pk were on the ice and I liked that, I liked what he brought.I'm sure Gorges could swap sides til Emelin gets adjusted.

Exactly, Gorges hasd played RD.

They have all of 1 player who can clear the front of the net, play physical in front of Price. That is Emelin.

Maybe he could go with 4 sets of D, play 15 minutes each and 10 forwards.

I do not like the decision but I understand the argument.

but if you were going to play Emelin another game on the wrong side why not against one of the worst teams in the east (statistically speaking of course) They did beat the Habs last time out.

Have to give Martin props. He knew Campoli was coming back and had to make room, so he puts his new-to-the-NHL hitter Emelin on the wrong side, watches him struggle, then tells him to sit in favour of Campoli. And there are rumours that the players themselves are not happy.

Wow!!!! J.M has to go!!!!!! Emelin in no way should sit he uses his size and was hitting like a train out there. I hope he does go back to the khl what a bunch of B.S

Exactly, Gorges hasd played RD.

They have all of 1 player who can clear the front of the net, play physical in front of Price. That is Emelin.

Maybe he could go with 4 sets of D, play 15 minutes each and 10 forwards.

Okay, move gorges to the right.

Now tell me, who is your pairing on the ice, when the other team's number 1 line jumps over the boards?

Okay, move gorges to the right.

Now tell me, who is your pairing on the ice, when the other team's number 1 line jumps over the boards?

Gorges Emelin?

It is worth a try put the best +/- guy with the big hitter who can skate and move the puck but will get out of position once in a while.

You're gonna trust Emelin with 20-25 minutes a night against top line opposition? As a rookie?

I think thats a recipe for disaster.

I like the kid... but thats throwing him him into the deep end with no life preserver.

Gorges Kaberle

Gill Subban

Emelin Campoli

It's better balanced and you can lower the minutes for Gorges and Subban .

Kaberle is gonna play against other team's top lines? Another recipe for disaster.

There are only 2 defencemen on this team currently capable of handling that role... they are Josh Gorges and PK Subban. Thats it, until Markov returns.

I have him on the bottom pair, 16-18 minutes with Campoli

No but you have Kaberle on the top pair. A guy who hasn't been able to do that job in quite some time.

Even in Toronto, he was quite good on the PP, but he was not great in his own end of the ice, and is a liability against #1 lines.

No but you have Kaberle on the top pair. A guy who hasn't been able to do that job in quite some time.

Even in Toronto, he was quite good on the PP, but he was not great in his own end of the ice, and is a liability against #1 lines.

That is true he did not even play the PK under Wilson I believe.

I am not a high level hockey player so I do not know the difficulty of switching sides as a D-man, but if it's as difficult as you say then why did JM switch Emelin to his off-side, Emelin of very little NHL experience. Like someone said earlier it's almost setting him up to fail. All I know is Emelin is what the habs have been missing, I was tired of the habs being a very soft team to play against, at least with PK and Emelin it makes other teams accountable.

Campoli in and Emelin out tonight

Cue the freakout.

Dude, is Coach Martin a distant uncle or something? Do you need an explanation as to why some people want Emelin in the line up? All day, every day you defend the coach.

I am not a high level hockey player so I do not know the difficulty of switching sides as a D-man, but if it's as difficult as you say then why did JM switch Emelin to his off-side, Emelin of very little NHL experience. Like someone said earlier it's almost setting him up to fail. All I know is Emelin is what the habs have been missing, I was tired of the habs being a very soft team to play against, at least with PK and Emelin it makes other teams accountable.

2 parts....

First part, he switched him, because they are clearly not happy of comfortable with Weber nor was Campoli ready. With the acquisition of Kaberle, they had to move someone and Emelin has some experience on the right side, however its all KHL experience. It was an experiment, and I think we can all see that Emelin was not the same player he was on the left side. It was an experiment that didn't work out, and confirmed Emelin needs more coaching to play on the right side in the NHL. I think he can do it, but he'll need time to adjust.

Once Kaberle was acquired, one of the D had to sit... it was chosen that Weber would go to forward and Emelin play the right side at that point.

Now, what are those adjustments for a dman switching sides?

1) retrieving the puck in the corner. On your offside, you retrieve the puck on your backhand and turn your back to the play while doing so. You don't have your head up looking at forecheckers and looking where to pass the puck. you are also making that pass on your backhand, unless you ring it around the boards or have time to skate with the puck and turn around.

2) Most D have one hand on their stick when facing the rush. On your natural side you use your stick to cut off any attempts to cut by you to the middle of the ice. On your off side, the stick is defending against guys going to the outside, and leaving you exposed to cuts to the middle of the surface. This is obviously bad, as you'd ideally like to cut off the middle and force your opponent wide.

3) You are covering a man in the corner or on the boards, who has the puck on his stick. Once again you have one hand on your stick and are using it to block passing lanes. In this instance when you play on your natural side, your stick is covering passes to the middle of the ice. It is also covering where the man will cut if he decides to skate to the net. If you are on your off side, your stick is no blocking passes behind the net, and to the corner, instead of the passing lanes to the middle of the ice.

All of this means the Dman has to learn to take new angles to the puck. Has to learn to position his body differently than he does on his natural side. And this takes coaching.

That all said its easier for LD to transition to RD with time and coaching than it is for RD to transition to Left. The reason for this is because most left D have been forced to play on the right side at some point during their hockey career. Prevelance of Left handed shooters >>> Prevalance of Right handed shooters. Eventually most lefties end up being asked to try it at some point on a team with 4 LD and 2 RH Dmen, or 5/1. So they are often a few steps ahead, as Emelin is. He's got a head start but needs more coaching.

Overall though, its much easier to switch sides on a winger, than a dman IMO.

Diaz is -4, Emelin is -3... Diaz has played 220 more minutes of ice time

If Emelin gets those minutes maybe he goes to a plus 3 with gorges. It is hard to get it going when you get sat all the time he is starting to put it together then wham grab some pine young man we don't like guy's that hit just ask kostitsyn