Who would you pick as a long term coach?

Kaboom

Not to jump the gun i really hope cunneyworth does a great job and gets a shot if the team responds to him. If he doesn't want the job my vote would be craig mactavish. He was a very good player and played on great teams as well has coached and held his players accountable. I like that he gets pissed and shows a lot of emotion

I'd rather finish the season with Cunneyworth - as long as he actually uses a different approach and actually makes changes such as:

- playing a more attack style using our speed

- giving more ice time and better oppertunities toAK46

- giving more of a chance for young players like Eller and Leblanc (while is in the NHL, due to injuries, I'd rather have him get a chance to dominate in the AHL).

- keeping a guy like Emelin in the lineup and try to get weber back on track

- work with PK on shortening his wind up and giving him more of a green light to rush like Letang in Pittsburgh

- never ever, EVER putting darche on the PP and keeping either on the 4th line or on the bench where he belongs or in the pressbox where he should be once we are healthy!!!

- overall, though we just need to play more of a attacking style that allows us to use our speed, instead of playing the Martin dump and chase and sit back and wait game.

If Cunneyworth does make changes and doesn't continue with Martin's approach, I think having him for the whole year is good, since it gives the Habs an out, by not having to go with a French coach for now.

Not to jump the gun i really hope cunneyworth does a great job and gets a shot if the team responds to him. If he doesn't want the job my vote would be craig mactavish. He was a very good player and played on great teams as well has coached and held his players accountable. I like that he gets pissed and shows a lot of emotion

• Upvote 1

I know this is crazy but what is Randy leads them to the cup?

Imagine English only cup winner?

OMG that just wouldn't be right!!! lol i hope it happens the language means nothing just as long as he does the job. If he was 100% french who cares winning is what counts.

I'd rather finish the season with Cunneyworth - as long as he actually uses a different approach and actually makes changes such as:

- playing a more attack style using our speed

- giving more ice time and better oppertunities toAK46

- giving more of a chance for young players like Eller and Leblanc (while is in the NHL, due to injuries, I'd rather have him get a chance to dominate in the AHL).

- keeping a guy like Emelin in the lineup and try to get weber back on track

- work with PK on shortening his wind up and giving him more of a green light to rush like Letang in Pittsburgh

- never ever, EVER putting darche on the PP and keeping either on the 4th line or on the bench where he belongs or in the pressbox where he should be once we are healthy!!!

- overall, though we just need to play more of a attacking style that allows us to use our speed, instead of playing the Martin dump and chase and sit back and wait game.

If Cunneyworth does make changes and doesn't continue with Martin's approach, I think having him for the whole year is good, since it gives the Habs an out, by not having to go with a French coach for now.

Great post i wish all of these things as well

If we do in fact keep the bi-lingual rule, the only coach I would want to bring in is Patrick Roy. If we recycle one of the losers that has already been fired by us, we will be missing JM by the end of next year.

If we do in fact keep the bi-lingual rule, the only coach I would want to bring in is Patrick Roy. If we recycle one  of the losers that has already been fired by us, we will be missing JM by the end of next year.

If we pick a rookie coach, I'd rather go with Gerard Gallant.

Oh God, please, no rookie coach.

Assuming Cunneyworth's replacement has to be bilingual - and I frankly doubt that the model of anglo coach/french assistant will placate the frothing jackals of the French press sufficiently to be sustainable - then the BEST candidate would be Jacques Lemaire. Since he has said repeatedly he has no interest in coaching in Montreal, off the top of my head I'd say the next best candidates in order of probable competence are:

-Larry Robinson (also a long shot due to his distaste for the pressure)

-Marc Crawford

-André Savard (bizarrely never mentioned despite an accomplished resume)

-Mario Tremblay

I hope I'm forgetting someone, because this isn't exactly an inspiring list. Frankly, if I were to be truly honest, I'd put Jacques Martin as #2 on the list after Robinson.

I have a feeling that the Habs are hoping that Boucher gets fired by the summer. Or else they have some unexpected move up their sleeves.

Oh God, please, no rookie coach.

Assuming Cunneyworth's replacement has to be bilingual - and I frankly doubt that the model of anglo coach/french assistant will placate the frothing jackals of the French press sufficiently to be sustainable - then the BEST candidate would be Jacques Lemaire. Since he has said repeatedly he has no interest in coaching in Montreal, off the top of my head I'd say the next best candidates in order of probable competence are:

-Larry Robinson (also a long shot due to his distaste for the pressure)

-Marc Crawford

-André Savard (bizarrely never mentioned despite an accomplished resume)

-Mario Tremblay

I hope I'm forgetting someone, because this isn't exactly an inspiring list. Frankly, if I were to be truly honest, I'd put Jacques Martin as #2 on the list after Robinson.

I have a feeling that the Habs are hoping that Boucher gets fired by the summer. Or else they have some unexpected move up their sleeves.

Add Therrien, Carbo and Bob Hartley to the list of guys who have NHL experience. But even then its still an ugly, ugly list.

However whoever is hired, will be the best coach ever for about three to six months.... then he'll be an awful coach with terrible line juggling for about a year. Then he'll be the worst coach ever who needs to fired immediately. And his firing will come about 2 years after his hiring.

Rinse and repeat all the way back to the hiring of Jacques Demers.

Add Therrien, Carbo and Bob Hartley to the list of guys who have NHL experience. But even then its still an ugly, ugly list.

However whoever is hired, will be the best coach ever for about three to six months.... then he'll be an awful coach with terrible line juggling for about a year. Then he'll be the worst coach ever who needs to fired immediately. And his firing will come about 2 years after his hiring.

Rinse and repeat all the way back to the hiring of Jacques Demers.

I refused to put Therrien on my list because I regard him as a complete boob. You're right, though, Carbo and Hartley should be there; but Hartley ahead of Tremblay and Carbo last.

You and I are have been in total agreement on this and I share your prediction. Sure, for a while the JM haters are going to revel in the new coach and his supposedly inestimable superiority to Martin. It helps that, as I say, the roster is significantly improved with the addition of Kaberle and Campoli. That plus the boost of excitement a new coach usually provides should lead to short-term gains.

But then, probably by the mid-point of next season. the same people who whine about Martin will begin to bitch about all the little decisions that THEY would have done differently. And eventually the new coach will become Public Enemy Number One, just as you predict.

One possible way out is indeed to hire Roy. Such is his stature that it is possible he will have more leash than the average Habs coach. I personally think a Roy-coached team will be a melodramatic circus, but in terms of PR it might be just what the doctor ordered.

One possible way out is indeed to hire Roy. Such is his stature that it is possible he will have more leash than the average Habs coach. I personally think a Roy-coached team will be a melodramatic circus, but in terms of PR it might be just what the doctor ordered.

I think bringing Roy in as an assistant this summer would be a good idea. He has to prove himself first. Let Cunneyworth continue as head coach and then eventually after two or three years (depends how well he does, could be shorter or longer) replace him with Roy.

• Upvote 1

Big bird would be great i am not a fan of anyone on that list maybe bob hartley. I say someone very new like randy i hope he rocks!!!! What about denis savard? Martin is that you pretending to be commandant ? jk There is no way you can honestly think J.M was the man for this team? And not everyone freaks out it seems most people here know thier hockey and make valid points as in you as well. that is why i joined this site i have read many posts on here and enjoyed the passion of the great fans of this team. Please take no offence to this.

I think bringing Roy in as an assistant this summer would be a good idea. He has to prove himself first. Let Cunneyworth continue as head coach and then eventually after two or three years (depends how well he does, could be shorter or longer) replace him with Roy.

I think this would be an untenable situation. Come the first losing streak, the screaming to fire Cunneyworth and replace him with Roy would consume everything else. Remember, we are not dealing with a rational or sane fan/media environment.

• Upvote 1

Big bird would be great i am not a fan of anyone on that list maybe bob hartley. I say someone very new like randy i hope he rocks!!!! What about denis savard? Martin is that you pretending to be commandant ? jk There is no way you can honestly think J.M was the man for this team? And not everyone freaks out it seems most people here know thier hockey and make valid points as in you as well. that is why i joined this site i have read many posts on here and enjoyed the passion of the great fans of this team. Please take no offence to this.

Its not just Martin. Name one coach who has lasted in Montreal more than 2 years since Demers....

On Robinson, I love the guy, and I think he's a great coach.

But this is also a guy who stepped down as coach of the devils because the pressure of being a head coach was too much for him, and he only wanted to be an assistant.

Why would he take the head job in Montreal? If the pressure was too much in Jersey?

Its not just Martin. Name one coach who has lasted in Montreal more than 2 years since Demers....

But this is also a guy who stepped down as coach of the devils because the pressure of being a head coach was too much for him, and he only wanted to be an assistant.

Why would he take the head job in Montreal? If the pressure was too much in Jersey?

Carbo was there for 3 years 06-09?

Vingeault was 3 or 4 as well.

I do want the Habs to have a coach that lasts but more importantly a coach that wins!

The whole thing is a joke. As I say, JM was no genius and it's possible his replacement will do just as well or better. But the idea that the guy who had the team playing very well at even strength, keeping SA to league lows and the PK and shot-blocking at league highs was an abject disaster as a coach is simply ridiculous. Unless we get really lucky and hire a Dan Byslma, most of the same fans who were hysterical about JM will be probably hysterical about his replacement within two years. It's just like Vancouver, where fans are attacking Vigneault because they've lost two in a row to bad teams and it is OBVIOUS he should be giving more minutes to Cody Hodgson. Until the team actually started losing games with Schneider in nets, it was equally OBVIOUS that stupid old Vigneault should bench Luongo.

The real problem is simple. This team has not won a Stanley Cup. Until that magical moment happens, whoever coaches this team is on borrowed time before he becomes the scapegoat. Coaches here must inevitably be sacrificed to the angry gods of the Habs fanbase/media. None of this has anything to do with hockey analysis. Sad but true.

The question i'd ask is, name one coach who should have been hired since Demers??? Since the hiring of Tremblay, the habs have made terrible coaching choices and have basically been an affirmative action program for inexperienced french coaches. Then they went to the opposite direction by hiring a dinasaur that would have been cast aside by the rest of the league and whom Florida was desperate to get dump the contract of.

Carbo was there for 3 years 06-09?

Vingeault was 3 or 4 as well.

I do want the Habs to have a coach that lasts but more importantly a coach that wins!

None of them lasted 3 full seasons... Demers also got 2.5 years.

They just cant get through that third full year.

Robinson wouldn't do as a head coach but was the perfect choice for an assistant on this team, but Gainey treated him like shit and never returned his calls - Robinson pretty much said as much (except for actually saying he was treated like shit) and he went to the devils.

The question i'd ask is, name one coach who should have been hired since Demers??? Since the hiring of Tremblay, the habs have made terrible coaching choices and have basically been an affirmative action program for inexperienced french coaches. Then they went to the opposite direction by hiring a dinasaur that would have been cast aside by the rest of the league and whom Florida was desperate to get dump the contract of.

Seems to me two of those guys were in the stanley cup final last year.

Another one was in the 2008 Stanley Cup Final

We hire talented rookies, train them to be good coaches and fire them two years later.

Its ridiculous.

Hey if the bird wants to be an assistant then jump at that chance wow it would do wonders for our d. The man is a legend and was a amazing all around player. If we want to be a puck possession team why not the water bug? my god he was great with the puck and this new nhl offence he would thrive on. And he has coached plus the all important french speaking would be covered.

None of them lasted 3 full seasons... Demers also got 2.5 years.

They just cant get through that third full year.

Are you saying Tremblay, Vingeult, therrian, julian, carbo deserved to be there longer???? None were ready to be head coaches - particularly with the crap teams that Houle/Savard put together. There are very few young coaches that are successful in their first stints. Even one's that succeeded like Perron in Montreal, it was only because they had a loaded lineup with a good veteran core. The only recent young coaches that have been successful are Blysma and Babcock. Dineen is doing well, but he has been a coach in the AHL for a LONG time.

I would also lump Boucher with those Bylsma and Babcock and I while you may disagree, I think the Lightnings troubles this year have more to do with the fact they aren't getting NHL calibre goaltending.

But the bottom line is that the habs never hired the right coach, because the only thing they have concentrated on was hiring a french coach.

Hey if the bird wants to be an assistant then jump at that chance wow it would do wonders for our d. The man is a legend and was a amazing all around player. If we want to be a puck possession team why not the water bug? my god he was great with the puck and this new nhl offence he would thrive on. And he has coached plus the all important french speaking would be covered.

Great player = great coach

Tell that to Maurice Richard, Boom Boom Geoffrion, Wayne Gretzky, and numerous other great players who were absolute failures as coaches.

Are you saying Tremblay, Vingeult, therrian, julian, carbo deserved to be there longer???? None were ready to be head coaches - particularly with the crap teams that Houle/Savard put together. There are very few young coaches that are successful in their first stints. Even one's that succeeded like Perron in Montreal, it was only because they had a loaded lineup with a good veteran core. The only recent young coaches that have been successful are Blysma and Babcock. Dineen is doing well, but he has been a coach in the AHL for a LONG time.

I would also lump Boucher with those Bylsma and Babcock and I while you may disagree, I think the Lightnings troubles this year have more to do with the fact they aren't getting NHL calibre goaltending.

But the bottom line is that the habs never hired the right coach, because the only thing they have concentrated on was hiring a french coach.

I think Vigneault was a great coach in Montreal. As you say the team that Houle put together was an absolute joke. Vigneault got that team to overachieve. The roster they had should have been picking 1st overall in his years.

That said, I agree we shouldn't hire another rookie coach... I'm sick of being the breeding ground for everyone else's coach.

Seems to me two of those guys were in the stanley cup final last year.

Another one was in the 2008 Stanley Cup Final

We hire talented rookies, train them to be good coaches and fire them two years later.

Its ridiculous.

There is a big difference in giving a guy a chance before he is ready and having a guy fail and learn from his mistakes until he succeeds. Julian was also fired by the devils. And even though he totally out coached Martin last year, the bruins don't win the cup without help from the NHL officiating slant.

Even though I love Bylsma's style, it also helped inheriting a loaded lineup - much like Perron inherited in 1986. the difference is that Bylsma is actually a ggod coach.