GDT: Habs @ Lightning

dlbalr

So..., we have 6 points given to the refs this year. The NYR game, the one where cole interferred but Price got knocked over, now this one with two bogus goals...

This isn't a good team, but they sure don't need this BS going on.

• Upvote 1

Well, that was a drag.

I know the goal was controversial, but then again, Price should have had that. I don't believe in scapegoating and I'm NOT syaing we lost 'cause of him, but that's a goal he can't allow at that moment.

We played pretty well tonight. Tougher third period, but the Lightning had the momentum at home. We desperately need a win in Florida...why do I get the feeling the team is gonna lay a stinker.

Stat wise this one is painful, Isles are closer to the habs 5pts than habs are to Leafs at 8th, 6 pts.

Positive Diaz is really good out there, he is playing most of his time with Gill and still loooks good.

Emelin booms St-Louis...cool.

Negative Gorges is -8 in last 8 games. He is trying to do too much.

Just saw the highlights of the game.

Cannot for the life of me believe wyman's goal counted. It's so blatantly clear that Emelin lets up cause he hears the whistle. If the ref doesn't blow it dead, Emelin sweeps that puck into the corner.

Mind boggling.

Here's one thing I learned from watching the Habs in the Houle era: when a team sucks, every piece of bad luck or adversity seems like a back-breaking cataclysm. That's because bad teams have zero margin of error.

The issue isn't really the refs blowing the Pittsburgh game (which was much more egregious than this game, IMO), or somehow blowing the goal last night. The issue is that this team has wasted half a season and now desperately needs everything to go its way in order to make the playoffs. This makes that one goal seem like the end of the world. But the reason it's so catastrophic is the Habs' fault, not the refs'.

Now I don't believe for a moment this team has given a representative account of itself this season; we're not truly a bad team, we've just been playing one on TV. Nevertheless, any hope of making the playoffs depends on a W against Florida and I have a very strong feeling they will fail to show up for that one.

It's that kinda year.

Here's one thing I learned from watching the Habs in the Houle era: when a team sucks, every piece of bad luck or adversity seems like a back-breaking cataclysm. That's because bad teams have zero margin of error.

The issue isn't really the refs blowing the Pittsburgh game (which was much more egregious than this game, IMO), or somehow blowing the goal last night. The issue is that this team has wasted half a season and now desperately needs everything to go its way in order to make the playoffs. This makes that one goal seem like the end of the world. But the reason it's so catastrophic is the Habs' fault, not the refs'.

Now I don't believe for a moment this team has given a representative account of itself this season; we're not truly a bad team, we've just been playing one on TV. Nevertheless, any hope of making the playoffs depends on a W against Florida and I have a very strong feeling they will fail to show up for that one.

It's that kinda year.

I couldn't said it better myself. On the bright side, if there is any, we sit at #25 in league standing, one spot out of lottery pick going to Florida.

They aren't making the playoffs period. If you look at the numbers teams in the top 8 after December make it around 90% of the time. The habs also have to jump like 5 other teams. This team has shown no ability to be consistent. Unless you count caughing up leads in the 3rd.they are consistent witht that.

To me it's one more loss closer to a lottery pick and getting rid of alot of players at the deadline>

Gorges, Moen and Cammi, AK46 I believe can get you a good return.

Camoli, Gill, Weber. plus whoever else will get you a little return.

Keppers are Emeiin, Diaz and Subban defensively. The rest can go.

forwards Cole Pacioretty, Eller, Gionta, White, Leblanc i would keep.

If the right offer is made i would move Pleks also.

Obviosly all those guys won't be moved but i listen to offers.

They aren't making the playoffs period. If you look at the numbers teams in the top 8 after December make it around 90% of the time. The habs also have to jump like 5 other teams. This team has shown no ability to be consistent. Unless you count caughing up leads in the 3rd.they are consistent witht that.

To me it's one more loss closer to a lottery pick and getting rid of alot of players at the deadline>

Gorges, Moen and Cammi, AK46 I believe can get you a good return.

Camoli, Gill, Weber. plus whoever else will get you a little return.

Keppers are Emeiin, Diaz and Subban defensively. The rest can go.

forwards Cole Pacioretty, Eller, Gionta, White, Leblanc i would keep.

If the right offer is made i would move Pleks also.

Obviosly all those guys won't be moved but i listen to offers.

Listen to offers, sure, but it's folly to think we need to blow it all up. Habs29 is much closer to the mark with his proposal to move basically 3 or 4 guys out. The core is much stronger than this abysmal season has shown. And Gorges certainly should not be moved if he is interested in staying.

Listen to offers, sure, but it's folly to think we need to blow it all up. Habs29 is much closer to the mark with his proposal to move basically 3 or 4 guys out. The core is much stronger than this abysmal season has shown. And Gorges certainly should not be moved if he is interested in staying.

Love what the young guys are bringing and future looks good.

But, if not for Cole and Price this team would be looking at fitting Yakapov into roster next fall.

This team is just finding ways to lose, which is typical of a young inexperianced and/or leaderless team.

I love Gorges play, but he would be the most valuable trade asset and if going to be like the Sens route and get a boatload of top picks back, he is one who could be worth a 1st rounder from a contender or the Leafs. Would be painful to see him moved, but he will likley command too high a salary for strictly a defensive d-man in the off-season anyways.

I would add Plekanec, Desharnais, Kostitsyn, Gill, Weber, Cammalleri as expendable, tradable, valuable on the market and replaceable (whereas Giont and Gomez are basically untradable).

If only one trade; I would love to see Semin for Cammalleri and then let Semin walk in summer.

Cant catch Ducks nor Columbus, but Habs can still sneek in the top 5 pick slot if Isles, OIler and Carolina can do a bit better.

go canucks go

Why in the world would you move Cammy for basically nothing. Cammy should be able to be a 1st rounder. I'm pretty sure the Caps would offer Semin AND a first rounder for a Cammy and a guy like gill and Weber. I wouldn't even want to do that deal unless we are getting the Avs first pick that Washington has.

I would much rather try and move Cammy for a #1 centre prospect for a first rounder, unless the 1st rounder has the potential to be a lottery pick.

It makes no sense to trade for Semin, unless we think he could help us this year AND we wanted to try and resign him.

I also think that if we took back a high $ expiring contract (like Semin), Gionta could also net a 1st rounder. I think if he gets healthy, a guy with Gionta's playoff experience, is another guy the caps would be interested in.

Love what the young guys are bringing and future looks good.

But, if not for Cole and Price this team would be looking at fitting Yakapov into roster next fall.

This team is just finding ways to lose, which is typical of a young inexperianced and/or leaderless team.

I love Gorges play, but he would be the most valuable trade asset and if going to be like the Sens route and get a boatload of top picks back, he is one who could be worth a 1st rounder from a contender or the Leafs. Would be painful to see him moved, but he will likley command too high a salary for strictly a defensive d-man in the off-season anyways.

I would add Plekanec, Desharnais, Kostitsyn, Gill, Weber, Cammalleri as expendable, tradable, valuable on the market and replaceable (whereas Giont and Gomez are basically untradable).

If only one trade; I would love to see Semin for Cammalleri and then let Semin walk in summer.

Cant catch Ducks nor Columbus, but Habs can still sneek in the top 5 pick slot if Isles, OIler and Carolina can do a bit better.

go canucks go

Why in the world would you move Cammy for basically nothing. Cammy should be able to be a 1st rounder. I'm pretty sure the Caps would offer Semin AND a first rounder for a Cammy and a guy like gill and Weber. I wouldn't even want to do that deal unless we are getting the Avs first pick that Washington has.

I would much rather try and move Cammy for a #1 centre prospect for a first rounder, unless the 1st rounder has the potential to be a lottery pick.

It makes no sense to trade for Semin, unless we think he could help us this year AND we wanted to try and resign him.

I also think that if we took back a high $ expiring contract (like Semin), Gionta could also net a 1st rounder. I think if he gets healthy, a guy with Gionta's playoff experience, is another guy the caps would be interested in.

Hey, i just thought Semin by himself would be all you could get for a sub-20 goal scorer who makes $6m, if you think anyteam would giveup a 1st rounder or any combination of picks/prospects, jump on it. And by just dumping Semin/Cammalleri's salary we can use $$ for Price/Subban/Gorges instead, was my main thinking. Even Cammalleri to Oilers or Leafs might fly and get back some good stuff?

I dont mind Gionta one bit; but if a team wants his leadership, cool, but i just didnt see him as being really tradable.

We just need, somehow, to get down from 6 sub 6 footers up front to 3 or 4 and make roster room for another smallish fellow - Gallagher, if not in 2012 then 2013.

I am just thinking we now would need to go about 27-11-6 (just be my funky calculations) to make playoffs and if going to be sellers in Feb, might as well go big and reshape the forward group. Whiich is and has been the weakest part of team for awhile, offense/scoring/size.

<br>

Hey, i just thought Semin by himself would be all you could get for a sub-20 goal scorer who makes $6m, if you think anyteam would giveup a 1st rounder or any combination of picks/prospects, jump on it. And by just dumping Semin/Cammalleri&#39;s salary we can use $$ for Price/Subban/Gorges instead, was my main thinking. Even Cammalleri to Oilers or Leafs might fly and get back some good stuff?<br>

<br>

I dont mind Gionta one bit; but if a team wants his leadership, cool, but i just didnt see him as being really tradable.<br>

<br>

We just need, somehow, to get down from 6 sub 6 footers up front to 3 or 4 and make roster room for another smallish fellow - Gallagher, if not in 2012 then 2013.<br>

<br>

I am just thinking we now would need to go about 27-11-6 (just be my funky calculations) to make playoffs and if going to be sellers in Feb, might as well go big and reshape the forward group. Whiich is and has been the weakest part of team for awhile, offense/scoring/size.<br>

I agree that we need to move a lot of older expensive contracts (Gionta, Cammy) that are movable (Gomez clearly isn't). I think for a team like Washington that has struggled in the playoffs either Cammy or Gionta would be weclome addtions and I think you are discounting his value based on this year's performance. It was clear he wasn't happy with the system the habs were playing under. If he continues to produce from now to the trade deadline, I think he can bring in a good return. Similarly, if Gionta gets healthy and produces prior to the deadline, I think he can also bring good value from a team seeking playoff experieince or veteran leadership.

As for our chances this year. I think we have zero chance at the playoffs and have been saying that for a long time now. YOu can't just look at how many points we are out, you have to look at the way we have been playing, who we have been losing, as well as how we have looked in the majority of the games we have won. I think for us to have had any shot at the playoffs, we needed to dump JM back when we fired Pearn. The team needed a new voice and direction then. We still may have had a chance if Martin was fired before the California trip, but the delay in unloading him and the lousy way Cunneyworth was brought on board sealed his fate. I think the media would have given more rope to Muller if JM was fired earlier and replaced with him, but PG and owenrship handled the situation horribly.

After Pearn was let go, we did put together a few winning streaks but really won a lot of ugly games and lost even uglier. I think there have been three wins where played a solid game. But it was clear that JM had outstayed his welcome with the a lot of players. From the guys that are probably his core supporters, only Moen has looked good - Gill and Darche have been horrible. Gill still has looked good on the PK, but has been dreadful five on five. Of those three, I think Moen and Gill have good value still because of their playoff experience.

To me the best strategy is to use the remainder of this year as further development of young players such as, Leblanc (although, I'm not opposed to sending him down to play more minutes against weaker competition, so he can produce more and dominate at that level), MaxPac, Eller, DD, Subban, Diaz and Emelin and try to finish in a lottery position. Start negotiations right away with Gorges, Ak46, price, and see if Subban and Eller are interested in longer term deals as well. To give the kids a chance., lets move assets for picks and blue chip prospects. The only alternative i see is going the status quo, missing the playoffs, but finishing in the 18 to 25 position. If we are going to miss the playoffs, lets go for a lottery pick.

We need to make a clear decision on our path going forward and strategy for two reasons. First, we need to showcase the guys we want to move (Cammy, Gionta, Gill, Moen, Weber), as well as the guys we should resign, but need to move if they aren't resigned (Ak46, GOrges), so that they have maximum value at the trade deadline. This means PG NEEDS to start negotiating NOW!!!!!!!

Secondly, we need to give the kids that we want to get experience to take the next step for next year, more ice time (either here or in Hamilton), which means playing Eller, Maxpac, Leblanc, Emelin, Diaz more and nailing guys like Darche to the bench.

I agree that we need to move a lot of older expensive contracts (Gionta, Cammy) that are movable (Gomez clearly isn't). I think for a team like Washington that has struggled in the playoffs either Cammy or Gionta would be weclome addtions and I think you are discounting his value based on this year's performance. It was clear he wasn't happy with the system the habs were playing under. If he continues to produce from now to the trade deadline, I think he can bring in a good return. Similarly, if Gionta gets healthy and produces prior to the deadline, I think he can also bring good value from a team seeking playoff experieince or veteran leadership. As for our chances this year. I think we have zero chance at the playoffs and have been saying that for a long time now. YOu can't just look at how many points we are out, you have to look at the way we have been playing, who we have been losing, as well as how we have looked in the majority of the games we have won. I think for us to have had any shot at the playoffs, we needed to dump JM back when we fired Pearn. The team needed a new voice and direction then. We still may have had a chance if Martin was fired before the California trip, but the delay in unloading him and the lousy way Cunneyworth was brought on board sealed his fate. I think the media would have given more rope to Muller if JM was fired earlier and replaced with him, but PG and owenrship handled the situation horribly. After Pearn was let go, we did put together a few winning streaks but really won a lot of ugly games and lost even uglier. I think there have been three wins where played a solid game. But it was clear that JM had outstayed his welcome with the a lot of players. From the guys that are probably his core supporters, only Moen has looked good - Gill and Darche have been horrible. Gill still has looked good on the PK, but has been dreadful five on five. Of those three, I think Moen and Gill have good value still because of their playoff experience. To me the best strategy is to use the remainder of this year as further development of young players such as, Leblanc (although, I'm not opposed to sending him down to play more minutes against weaker competition, so he can produce more and dominate at that level), MaxPac, Eller, DD, Subban, Diaz and Emelin and try to finish in a lottery position. Start negotiations right away with Gorges, Ak46, price, and see if Subban and Eller are interested in longer term deals as well. To give the kids a chance., lets move assets for picks and blue chip prospects. The only alternative i see is going the status quo, missing the playoffs, but finishing in the 18 to 25 position. If we are going to miss the playoffs, lets go for a lottery pick. We need to make a clear decision on our path going forward and strategy for two reasons. First, we need to showcase the guys we want to move (Cammy, Gionta, Gill, Moen, Weber), as well as the guys we should resign, but need to move if they aren't resigned (Ak46, GOrges), so that they have maximum value at the trade deadline. This means PG NEEDS to start negotiating NOW!!!!!!! Secondly, we need to give the kids that we want to get experience to take the next step for next year, more ice time (either here or in Hamilton), which means playing Eller, Maxpac, Leblanc, Emelin, Diaz more and nailing guys like Darche to the bench.

i agree 100% on the strategy and going with youth, whether Leblanc goes to AHL or stays, i am 50-50, i know many all-star players have put in full year or more and lit it up in AHL.

I am a Gauthier backer and only hope he sees that, to bite the bullet this year is a painful necessity and should pay off long term, even though the mob calling for his head already will only grow with each loss, but if he does try and patch holes and ship out more picks in an attempt to rescue the season and his job, then he will lose 1 supporter.

Hey i was a Dallas Cowboy fan for back to back to back 5-11 seasons and cheer on the Blue Jays and Raptors every year even though they cant really compete, so i would have little problem seeing the Habs take one in the chin for 1/2 a season more, if we get a shot at some top skilled prospects/picks and can reset the forward group.No more trading picks for 4th line centre every friggin year also, my one Gauthier beef.