GDT: Habs @ Lightning

dlbalr

i agree 100% on the strategy and going with youth, whether Leblanc goes to AHL or stays, i am 50-50, i know many all-star players have put in full year or more and lit it up in AHL.

I am a Gauthier backer and only hope he sees that, to bite the bullet this year is a painful necessity and should pay off long term, even though the mob calling for his head already will only grow with each loss, but if he does try and patch holes and ship out more picks in an attempt to rescue the season and his job, then he will lose 1 supporter.

Hey i was a Dallas Cowboy fan for back to back to back 5-11 seasons and cheer on the Blue Jays and Raptors every year even though they cant really compete, so i would have little problem seeing the Habs take one in the chin for 1/2 a season more, if we get a shot at some top skilled prospects/picks and can reset the forward group.No more trading picks for 4th line centre every friggin year also, my one Gauthier beef.

This seems fair. This is the defining test of Gauthier's leadership. If he takes a deep breath and faces reality, he will concede that we have no chance of making the playoffs and coolly sell off carefully-selected assets, such as Gill, perhaps Cammalleri, the seemingly-redundant Weber, Campoli, Gomer Pyle if at all possible (whether at the deadline or, most likely, later); and of course Kosty and Gorges should it look as though they can't be signed. Conversely, if Harold Ballard is breathing down his neck and threatening his job, he will desperately trade youth/picks for immediate help and thereby further deepen the hole this franchise is in. We'll know by February whether we have an organization we can believe in or one condemned to another decade of mediocrity.

I admire your Zen attitude. For my part, I've found this season a great disappointment because I know the team is better than this. And I'm having trouble feeling motivated as a fan. It's one thing to know your team sucks going in, in which case your focus shifts from wins to other things (watching young player X's development, focusing on various little storylines, watching the opposition, etc.). But when you expected your team to be competitive and it's not, when good players keep finding ways to lose, it's tough to care. Only force of habit - the fact that I'm accustomed to allocating a certain amount of time daily to this site and other Habs-related stuff - is keeping me around at this point. I wonder what other folks are feeling in this respect - ? Angry? Apathetic? OK with it? What's the vibe out there?

This seems fair. This is the defining test of Gauthier's leadership. If he takes a deep breath and faces reality, he will concede that we have no chance of making the playoffs and coolly sell off carefully-selected assets, such as Gill, perhaps Cammalleri, the seemingly-redundant Weber, Campoli, Gomer Pyle if at all possible (whether at the deadline or, most likely, later); and of course Kosty and Gorges should it look as though they can't be signed. Conversely, if Harold Ballard is breathing down his neck and threatening his job, he will desperately trade youth/picks for immediate help and thereby further deepen the hole this franchise is in. We'll know by February whether we have an organization we can believe in or one condemned to another decade of mediocrity.

I admire your Zen attitude. For my part, I've found this season a great disappointment because I know the team is better than this. And I'm having trouble feeling motivated as a fan. It's one thing to know your team sucks going in, in which case your focus shifts from wins to other things (watching young player X's development, focusing on various little storylines, watching the opposition, etc.). But when you expected your team to be competitive and it's not, when good players keep finding ways to lose, it's tough to care. Only force of habit - the fact that I'm accustomed to allocating a certain amount of time daily to this site and other Habs-related stuff - is keeping me around at this point. I wonder what other folks are feeling in this respect - ? Angry? Apathetic? OK with it? What's the vibe out there?

Pretty much got it covered. There were some that predicted we would take the conference. There is still hope that this season isn't a write-off but the window is starting to close.

I hear you. I had a lot of hope this season that we would do very well. I've constantly been saying a turn around is coming and a streak will put us in the hunt and we'll be in the playoffs. I just didn't expect we'd be worrying about the playoffs at this point to be honest.

For me its just a feeling of disappointment. I'm the same as you where its a force of habit to be on this site and doing other habs related things... I'm trying to find a positive but its just a downer seeing your team lose game in and out and not seeing how the team will be better in the future with our players getting older.

I'm still hoping for a last second rush to the playoffs! Come on boys! Give us something to cheer for!

Although I am disappointed with this season, I am also okay with it. Injuries have decimated this team's chances at the potential high seed that they could have finished at. Tough to get consistency when your defense is mostly rookies and sophomores. Also tough when you are a forward and you are playing with a different linemate every game because somebody went down with an injury. Yes, all teams suffer from this but mostly not to this extent. Not having Markov in the lineup is greatly underrated. Everything done since he went down 2 years ago has been a patch job until he returns. It is easy to forget how valuable he is to this team. The game plan going into the season revolved around having him playing from early on. The dreadful powerplay would not be amongst the worst in the league. He would be playing 40% of the game, thus dropping everyone else's minutes. Having a #1 stud on the back end is huge and greatly overlooked as to what this team's problems actually are.