Josh Gorges signed for 6 seasons

JoeLassister

This is great news! Happy to see the Habs sign one of its own DURING the season. A good player for a reasonable price!(i heard an average of 3.9 million per year) Great move by the organization!

Nice to see PG cross this off his list ASAP. I feel like we could have gotten a smaller amount over 6 years, but I'm sure he'll be worth it if he stays healthy.

Best news of the year! ;)

Fantastic news. We always seem to let these type of guys go. Great also that Gorges is willing to commit long term to the habs.

(null)

First good news for the season and a great way to start the new year. However I wish we could have front loaded the deal to reduce the cap hit.

First good news for the season and a great way to start the new year. However I wish we could have front loaded the deal to reduce the cap hit.

Without seeing the exact specifics, who's to say they didn't and that was the end result? Looking at the $3.9, I wouldn't think so but you never know.

3.9 mill seems a little steep. Oh well. He is such a good defensive guy and such a good team guy. If you dont like Josh, you are basically a bad person. He really seems like a stand up guy. It's nice to have him locked up long term.

• Upvote 1

i had Josh as one of most valuable trade assests, but i am very very pleased he will be around long term and sorry Brian, but Josh should be captain very soon and for a long time.

Great news on a very bleak season and salary is a tad high, but he works his ass off every game and good for him to get good coin and good on Gauthier to get a super character player signed early.

i had Josh as one of most valuable trade assests, but i am very very pleased he will be around long term and sorry Brian, but Josh should be captain very soon and for a long time.

Great news on a very bleak season and salary is a tad high, but he works his ass off every game and good for him to get good coin and good on Gauthier to get a super character player signed early.

I may be wrong but I don't recall delving into the captaincy discussion in recent memory.

Finally a bit of good news.

This is not a bargain, though. I can't believe he'd have gotten much more than that on the open market. Nonetheless, he logs tough minutes and is effective in doing so and has only gotten consistently better year after year. And he wants to play here and is pals with Price. Great to LOCK UP long-term a blood-and-guts guy who bleeds Habs red. :thumbs_up: And it also conveys that Gorges has a certain faith in the organization, which is good news too.

I this is front loaded ,then this a horrible deal. I doubt that it is though, otherwise PG and Molson are bigger idiots then I imagined.

Without seeing the exact specifics, who's to say they didn't and that was the end result? Looking at the $3.9, I wouldn't think so but you never know.

My guess is that it's a statement towards Brian Gionta...

I can see moving Gionta, but I'm not sure that we have a ton of awesome RW in the wings ready to replace what he brings. It seems to me that if we move him it'll signify either that there is serious quality on the UFA market or else that we are moving toward a total rebuild rather than a tactical tweaking.

Truth be told, I'm a bit annoyed that fans seem to have completely forgotten what a fine leader and valuable player Gionta has been in the previous two years. Three injury-addled months and suddenly he's washed up... :rolleyes:

I can see moving Gionta, but I'm not sure that we have a ton of awesome RW in the wings ready to replace what he brings. It seems to me that if we move him it'll signify either that there is serious quality on the UFA market or else that we are moving toward a total rebuild rather than a tactical tweaking.

Truth be told, I'm a bit annoyed that fans seem to have completely forgotten what a fine leader and valuable player Gionta has been in the previous two years. Three injury-addled months and suddenly he's washed up... :rolleyes:

I don't think Gionta is washed up. To me next year is about being competitive about a playoff spot (will be harder as we have the new conference setup) and the following year to be in a position to actually contend. I think within two years time, Gallegher should be competing for a spot and I think DD may also progress nicely as a winger. Do we really want three midgets in our top 6 or even the top 9??? In light of the size issue and to fast track the timing of when we can be a solid contender again, I think GIonta can allow us to get the assets we need going forward.

Same with Moen. He has been good this year, but I thought he was lousy last year and really wasn't using his size at all. He will also be looking for a pay raise, I'd rather have someone overpay for him now, then us overpay to keep him as a UFA or lose him for nothing.

This is easily the best deal that Gauthier had made since he has taken the GM role full-time. It could very well be his last.

and I too think you should probably leave the captaincy out of this good news Brian. ;)

My guess is that it's a statement towards Brian Gionta...

My guess is that Georges has emerged as the leader on the team since Gionta went down and management has recognized it. I like that they locked him up but the numbers worry me a bit.