Josh Gorges signed for 6 seasons

JoeLassister

I'm with Commandant. This team is much better than it has shown. So the plan should be to trade away Kostitsyn if he does not want to sign, and various spare parts and veterans whose value to us in, say, two years will be minimal to nonexistent (Gill, Campoli, Weber, maybe Moen). Of the current 'core' the only ones I'd be actively interested in moving would be Gomez, Kosty and perhaps Cammalleri - the first for obvious reasons, the second because he's a UFA and the latter because he effectively betrayed the organization by quitting on Martin. With a guy like Gio, I listen to offers, but plan on keeping him.

You retool with youth acquired in the moderate sell-off, sign new players to fill vacancies, and try to be good next season with an eye to being great thereafter. There is no grounds for a scorched-earth policy.

That's the approach I'd like to see them take as well. Move out the rental guys and help replenish the prospect base and look to move one or two contracts beyond this year to create some flexibility moving forward to either extend existing deals (such as Price) or to allow them to bid on a better FA or two. At this point in time, I expect the Habs to have the mindset of a buyer for the next few weeks and if things don't turn around, then move the guys like Gill.

Back on topic, I remember reading that talks started a couple weeks back or so, at least on a formal basis. In that span, Gorges has had some rough games; I'm hoping that part of the struggles could have been due to the negotiations, hopefully he'll rebound now.

Wow, Gorges is currently the #1 shot-blocker in the league. That's not only a testament to his heart and soul attitude, but his hockey smarts and positional play to always be in the shooting lanes.

To people who say that he doesn't do any one thing exceptionally well, I would reply that he does the most important thing incredibly well: play defense.

Wow, Gorges is currently the #1 shot-blocker in the league. That's not only a testament to his heart and soul attitude, but his hockey smarts and positional play to always be in the shooting lanes.

To people who say that he doesn't do any one thing exceptionally well, I would reply that he does the most important thing incredibly well: play defense.

Yes! Can the people who thought that it would be easy to replace him please come to their senses?