Would Andre Savard and Guy Carbonneau be a good team?

REV-G

As I've read different blogs and articles over the past week or two the opinions seem to be fairly unanimous that GM Pierre Gauthier is coming towards the end of his time as our GM.

Among the many suggestions I've read and heard about I don't think I've heard the name of Andre Savard come up. So my question is, would Andre Savard make a good GM for us and would Guy Carbonneau make a great coach on his second tour with us?? What do you think?

As I've read different blogs and articles over the past week or two the opinions seem to be fairly unanimous that GM Pierre Gauthier is coming towards the end of his time as our GM.

Among the many suggestions I've read and heard about I don't think I've heard the name of Andre Savard come up. So my question is, would Andre Savard make a good GM for us and would Guy Carbonneau make a great coach on his second tour with us?? What do you think?

I say no. We need new blood in this organization. We need a GM with personality and we need another experienced coach who'll get the attention of these players.

I hope it's not Savard nor Brisebois. My personal desire would be to have Pierre McGuire but don't want to beat that horse again. My second candidate would be Damphousse who has a tremendous understanding of the cap and league.

Andre Savard was a good GM and I see no reason why he wouldn't do a good job. Note that he also has substantial coaching credentials and ought to be mentioned a lot more than he is as a possible Cunneyworth replacement.

Guy Carbonneau was a questionable coach and hiring him would be a gambling that he learned a lot from his first go-around.

Myself, I'm surprised nobody mentions Carbo for GM. I have the feeling he remains a good hockey mind, even if he wasn't a huge coaching success.

I don't understand the Damphousse reference. What is the basis for claiming he possesses 'tremendous knowledge?' The guy has never run anything in his life as far as I can see.

And we do NOT need a GM with 'personality.' We need a GM who can build a winner. Sounds to me like Willey is completely imprisoned by media images rather than substance.

Andre Savard was a good GM and I see no reason why he wouldn't do a good job. Note that he also has substantial coaching credentials and ought to be mentioned a lot more than he is as a possible Cunneyworth replacement.

Guy Carbonneau was a questionable coach and hiring him would be a gambling that he learned a lot from his first go-around.

Myself, I'm surprised nobody mentions Carbo for GM. I have the feeling he remains a good hockey mind, even if he wasn't a huge coaching success.

I don't understand the Damphousse reference. What is the basis for claiming he possesses 'tremendous knowledge?' The guy has never run anything in his life as far as I can see.

And we do NOT need a GM with 'personality.' We need a GM who can build a winner. Sounds to me like Willey is completely imprisoned by media images rather than substance.

Damphousse was a catalyst to the NHLPA and the signing of the CBA. He had a deep involvement in the conclusion of the lockout and with the players. Is it wishful thinking that he can continue along the lines of Yzerman and Nieuwendyke perhaps but I am fed up of guys like Gainey and Gauthier and Savard who lack any emotion......it's the same old same old with this team.

As for McGuire, I have been an advocate of this guy for many many years. Again will he be a good GM I am not sure but I want to take the chance on this guy because of the things he says when it comes to this team. When I think of the past 4-5 years he has been spot on with the moves this team has made. Whether it be the horrible Gomez trade, the acquisition of Eller, selecting Spacek ahead of other players who wanted to play here, the inability to part with Souray, not signing Moore, selecting Fisher, and on and on and on.

I want to to give him a shot.

17 GM's have been fired in the past 5 years so it appears as though experience has very little relevance these days,.

Damphousse was a catalyst to the NHLPA and the signing of the CBA. He had a deep involvement in the conclusion of the lockout and with the players. Is it wishful thinking that he can continue along the lines of Yzerman and Nieuwendyke perhaps but I am fed up of guys like Gainey and Gauthier and Savard who lack any emotion......it's the same old same old with this team.

As for McGuire, I have been an advocate of this guy for many many years. Again will he be a good GM I am not sure but I want to take the chance on this guy because of the things he says when it comes to this team. When I think of the past 4-5 years he has been spot on with the moves this team has made. Whether it be the horrible Gomez trade, the acquisition of Eller, selecting Spacek ahead of other players who wanted to play here, the inability to part with Souray, not signing Moore, selecting Fisher, and on and on and on.

I want to to give him a shot.

17 GM's have been fired in the past 5 years so it appears as though experience has very little relevance these days,.

Yeah, 'experience' as a GM, certainly, can be overrated. Mike Gillis has done a great job with the Canuckleheads and he was just a player agent before he got that job. Serge Savard was 'just' a player before he was tapped to be GM and did fine work for us in that capacity. Still, I think some experience in management in some capacity has to be preferred given the complexities of the modern NHL.

The Serge Savard case is instructive in another way. He was a guy who had always stood apart as a natural leader and authority figure, an impeccable managerial type: nicknamed 'the Senator' he was obvious corner-office material almost from the get-go. The same is true of Gainey and Yzerman. Sakic'd be another, I'd speculate. Certain individuals just seem to have the right kind of 'hockey mind' and personal qualities that make you think they could run an organization effectively. It's hard to know for sure from the outside, of course, but all of the aforementioned cases really do seem glaringly obvious.

Damphousse may be one of those, but I personally have never seen this. Carbonneau, on the other hand, was a leader everywhere he went and easily one of the smartest on-ice players of his generation. He was brought along as Gainey's successor both in management and behind the bench before the sad rupture of 2009. In short, he seems to be cut from the same cloth as the Savards, Gaineys and Yzermans, which is why I can see him as a plausible GM.

Note that NONE of these guys are hotheads and loudmouths. I don't want J. Jonah Jameson running the Montreal Canadiens, and I am leery of both Patrick Roy and Pierre MacGuire for this reason. The Habs, of all teams, need a calm hand at the rudder - someone who can rise above the hysteria and panic that infects everything surrounding this organization, rather than contribute to it. I don't see Roy or MacGuire doing so. (In fairness, MacGuire's hothead image may be sheer showbiz rather than indicative of his true personality. But we should be careful about his backseat driving. Yes, he wanted to deal Souray, but he proposed that we take Steve Bernier back - which is as good as getting nothing back. He also despised the Carey Price pick. Ultimately he is no wiser than the rest and remember, he wasn't rated good enough for the St. Louis job either).

We need a "cap-ready" GM.....................

It was (easier) in the past getting players signed (as long as they had the owners OK :) ) NOW they have a fixed budget to ice a "competetive" team........

And YES I think NEW BLOOD is needed also

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. I was hoping Guy Carbonneau would be our version of Lindy Ruff, and coach the team for the next ten years. Ok, that didn't work. Bringing him back seems ridiculous. Does he even get interviews for other coaching jobs? He doesn't appear to be motivated. I'm not saying Patrick Roy should get the job, but at least he's out there, riding the bus, actually coaching.

Interestingly before I wrote this post about the possiblity of Andre Savard and Carbonneau returning I emailed a very popular and respected Montreal sports columist and asked his opinion and he said he would love to see the Andre Savard/Carbonneau team in Montreal. He also said he was surprised Andre Savard's name hasn't been mentioned.

• 2 weeks later...

Carbo had no plan. He's been in the broadcast booth almost since he was torched, so I doubt he's developed any plan. If you think the Habs look bad now, imagine how they'll look once they get out there and play like headless chickens.

Andre Savard is at least a somewhat reasonable choice. I think there are much better options, though.

Carbo had no plan. He's been in the broadcast booth almost since he was torched, so I doubt he's developed any plan. If you think the Habs look bad now, imagine how they'll look once they get out there and play like headless chickens.

Andre Savard is at least a somewhat reasonable choice. I think there are much better options, though.

I'm not suggesting Carbo is our only choice but there were some good things that happened when he was our coach and I think saying he had no plan doesn't really fly for three reasons. 1. He had his team in first place which had to mean their PK and PP and overall 5 on 5 play must have been at least good. 2. They were a high scoring team which I think shows they had a plan and the players knew what responsibilities they had and he must have been holding them accountable. I don't think these things happens by accident. 3. He was nominated for coach of the year in one of his years.

So for me, looking at all the options that must include a french speaking coach, he has to one of the top 3 or 4 choices.

A big no to Savard. he's the one taht started this "soft euro" style version of the Habs 10 years ago.I thought Carbo got shafted and would love to see him back coaching. he's the only coach in the last 15 years who has won over 50% of games

Personally I wouldn't hold it against a GM to try something new. That's part of what is needed in every sport, some creative out of the box thinking.

I've thought a lot about this, and I really think we need to do what the Leafs did with Burke.

Not that I want Burke, but I want to go out and find the best guy available, throw money at him, whatever is necessary, and restore credibility to the franchise for the media, fans and the league.

1) lure Pierre Lacroix away from the Avalanche President position... put whatever money/job titles on the table that are necessary.... put him in Charge.

2) sign Patrick Roy as coach... let Lacroix (65 years old) start training him to eventually take over as GM

3) draft Roy's protege #2.... Grigorenko.

4) trade with Nashville for the rights to Roy's protege #1... Radulov.

Give this ruderless ship an instant rudder and some direction going forward.

Savard and Carbo are gonna be seen as having ties to the current administration, I dont think we can have that. Put a whole new direction in charge.

Commandant has good points for Habs to get back to a respectable franchise. I have some difference of opinion

but the main idea is alike.

However Pierre Lacroix has health issues and is no capacity or willing to come back as an active president.

1Best choice i have to admit is Pierre Boivin, why ?he didn't interfere with hockey operations or if he did he was

doing it behind close doors. He had HUGE respect in the business community in Montreal, government contacts

and as a $$ sense for marketing.

2 Roy, first days with the Remparts was GM and he is a much better GM than he is a coach. His good results as a coach are definetly linked to his GM abilities. Damphousse as vice-gm for contracts when Patrick will build a team in his style, competitive

every year. And when ready he will go behind the bench.

3 Behind the bench it doesn't need to be changed, Randy C. should stay there, he is the best guy to pass the message that players won't have their ways anymore, exception of adding assistant coach with the Remparts, New Lappy who is a brilliant assistant.

4 Patrick is very good with russian. Radu and Grigo would jump in his boat. I am sure of that. It would consolidate Emelin position,

and hopefully Markov for these guys. Adding these talented russians to big gritty wingers, Quebecers grinders and puck moving D's.

1) Boivin is not a hockey guy. We need a hockey guy at the top of the organization. Boivin as president isn't even possible, Geoff Molson is the owner and he's made it clear that chair is his now.

2) I agree Patrick Roy has been a better GM than a coach in the Q. Agree 100% with that. I just don't like throwing him straight into the GM chair. Thats why i looked for a GM he could work with and who could teach him to GM at an NHL level. His relationship with Lacroix, plus Lacroix's experience seemed natural... at least for some time, with Roy eventually becoming GM once he's learned how. I think Patrick is the type of personality I want, a guy who will do things his way and tell the media to F off when necessary. But I also think he needs time to learn and because of that ego, he needs someone he respects and Lacroix could be that guy If health issues are a problem for Lacroix, find another guy Patrick will respect to train him.

3) I don't think its possible to keep Randy. He's not winning enough, and that was the only way to get the media off him. I like him, and think he was put in an impossible situation, but I don't think he can stay.. I also think this management group needs to all go. The only guy I'd keep is Timmins.

4) Agree completely on Patrick being good with the Russians. Don't agree that we need Quebecker grinders.... I don't care where the Grinders or the talent are frrom... bring in the best players even if they are from Mars.

What about a guy like Patrick Roy with the double job of GM and head coach ?

Last time we saw that in the NHL, was it Pat Quinn ??? Or Jacques Martin ??

I don't know if any one person has the time or energy to do both on a full time basis in the NHL as it currently stands.

And even if someone does has the energy to do both without burning out, I don't think you hand such a position to a guy who would be a rookie in both jobs.

Sounds like you'd be setting him up for failure to me.

I think Savard would be a good GM. With any luck we could get back Juha Lind and Johan Witehall and Oleg Petrov. We'd win more games because teams like the Bruins would either be laughing so much or they'd get penalties for head shots continually.

Commandant, I think you swung for the fences, and hit a grand slam with this. I even believe the team could look classy replacing RC. My second favorite sport is Formula 1, my childhood hero was Gilles Villeneuve. I won't bore everyone with the details. But Michael Schumacher was injured, and he was replaced by Mika Salo. While leading, Mika was asked to slow for the other Ferrari of Eddie Irvine. To repay Mika for his this gesture, he was basically offered a life time contract, to race any Ferrari, in any class of racing. So, if RC get's replaced, you go on record, thanking him, and saying he will always have a job in hockey with this team. I'm at the point where if you can't beat them, join them. Both coaches in last years finals were francophones. Scotty freaking Bowman said the coach should be able to communicate in French. Might as well not get stressed about it. And get a winner like Patrick Roy involved.

I may have missed something... why is Patrick Roy good with Russians?

You didn't catch the thing in the place with the spork, the chipmunk and the three Russian circus jugglers, did you.

I've thought a lot about this, and I really think we need to do what the Leafs did with Burke.

Not that I want Burke, but I want to go out and find the best guy available, throw money at him, whatever is necessary, and restore credibility to the franchise for the media, fans and the league.

1) lure Pierre Lacroix away from the Avalanche President position... put whatever money/job titles on the table that are necessary.... put him in Charge.

2) sign Patrick Roy as coach... let Lacroix (65 years old) start training him to eventually take over as GM

3) draft Roy's protege #2.... Grigorenko.

4) trade with Nashville for the rights to Roy's protege #1... Radulov.

Give this ruderless ship an instant rudder and some direction going forward.

Savard and Carbo are gonna be seen as having ties to the current administration, I dont think we can have that. Put a whole new direction in charge.

I don't think Savard and Carbo have close links to the present administration at all. They both moved on because of the current administration. A person who travels with and is close to the team told me Carbo and Gainey no longer speak. I don't know much about Pierre Lacroix any more but that's an interesting thought....another option to throw into the mix. My concern with Patrick Roy is that there may not be any middle ground with him. He may turn out to be terrific or a bombshell that blows up in our face. If it's the latter, it would be too much for this team to handle.

I may have missed something... why is Patrick Roy good with Russians?

London was about to draft Grigorenko first overall in the import draft..... Grigorenko told them he was staying in KHL and not to bother. Roy went to Grigorenko and talked to him, convinced him to come over to NA for this season and got him to come to Remparts and drafted him 2nd overall.

Roy was much loved as Radulov's head coach and GM with Remparts. All reports were that Radulov adored him, he got the enigimatic player to produce like a superstar every night.

Remparts have a long history of Russian players on the team since Roy got there,, but those are the big two. Gratchov, Bashkirov, Steffanovich, Kugryshev,

I don't think Savard and Carbo have close links to the present administration at all. They both moved on because of the current administration. A person who travels with and is close to the team told me Carbo and Gainey no longer speak. I don't know much about Pierre Lacroix any more but that's an interesting thought....another option to throw into the mix. My concern with Patrick Roy is that there may not be any middle ground with him. He may turn out to be terrific or a bombshell that blows up in our face. If it's the latter, it would be too much for this team to handle.

Savard was GM before and was Gainey's assistant pre lockout.

Carbo was the coach of a team that went to absolute shit, and imploded in much the same way as the current team is imploding. Some of his players are still on the roster.

I want no remnants of that administration.... none.

That he is no longer on speaking terms with Gainey doesn't matter to me.