Would Andre Savard and Guy Carbonneau be a good team?

REV-G

A big no to Savard. he's the one taht started this "soft euro" style version of the Habs 10 years ago.I thought Carbo got shafted and would love to see him back coaching. he's the only coach in the last 15 years who has won over 50% of games

And led the Habs to be the highest scoring team in the league.

Carbo had one great year and two horrible ones. His teams played seemingly without structure. He probably learned a lot from that experience, but nothing in his track record as coach indicates that he's the guy to hire if you want to WIN.

Carbo had one great year and two horrible ones. His teams played seemingly without structure. He probably learned a lot from that experience, but nothing in his track record as coach indicates that he's the guy to hire if you want to WIN.

I would love him back as an assistant tough or even just a faceoff coach next year.

If carbo wants to coach again he needs to go to the AHL or juniors to learn to be a coach. I really don't see what he could have learned sitting on his ass as a tv analyst. His issues were lack of structure and strategy, as well as communicating with his players. Those aren't skills you learn in the broadcast booth.

And had absolutely no system whatsoever! In fact, he's perfect for the rest of THIS year! Let the boys lose with panache!

And had absolutely no system whatsoever! In fact, he's perfect for the rest of THIS year! Let the boys lose with panache!

That would be awesome

Just let them score like crazy drive their stats up and get some confidence.

Play Kostitsyn like 25 minutes a games see if he can get 20 goals in the 2nd half.

That would be awesome

Just let them score like crazy drive their stats up and get some confidence.

Play Kostitsyn like 25 minutes a games see if he can get 20 goals in the 2nd half.

Wouldn't that be the besets? See them lose but fly in the process? Awesomeness.

If this had happened a couple of years ago, when Tallon was being moved out of Chicago for political reasons, would he fly in Montreal?

Bain, non.

Carbo had one fatal flaw.. he couldn't communicate!

Now, the question is, did he learn from this or not? If not, could the right assistant coach fix the issue?

I don't know the answers to these questions, but if we are going with a young core, we need a communicator who can motivate and teach.

This franchise is doomed. Accepting a french loser over an english winner so that ######s on 110% can pat themselves on the back.

We need Quebec back so that they can do the whole french thing :)

This franchise is doomed. Accepting a french loser over an english winner so that ######s on 110% can pat themselves on the back.

A winner that drafted Toews and Kane cuz his team sucked for almost half a decade and then forgot to send his RFA's Q offers in time ?

No thanks.

A winner that drafted Toews and Kane cuz his team sucked for almost half a decade and then forgot to send his RFA's Q offers in time ?

No thanks.

That's fine Joe. But the only qualifications your choices have are place of birth and first language. If you thought outside the box, and made hockey decisions, you'd be more credible.

That's fine Joe. But the only qualifications your choices have are place of birth and first language. If you thought outside the box, and made hockey decisions, you'd be more credible.

WTF ? I'm totally against picking a french canadian GM or coach just cuz of the language thing. You might mistake me with some other member on this board.

And if you're refering to this post : http://forums.habsworld.net/index.php?showtopic=23080&view=findpost&p=433967 , I was just stating the most logical choices out there, those that would make the cut given the French Speaking situation, not my personal choices.

Come on, man. Jim Nill is THE best candidate. Whether he wants to leave Detroit is another question, but that's an organization fundamentally on the downside, so he might be amenable to a change.

I heard Francois Gagnon on the radio a while back arguing that, from his point of view, the Habs need a bilingual coach because the coach deals with media and fans on a daily basis; but a bilingual GM is less important. This seems like a reasonable PR compromise to me. Hire Nill, have him bring a bilingual coach on board, and Bob's your uncle.

Here's an eccentric choice for head coach by the way - Rick Bowness! Dismal coaching record overseeing horrible teams, but did pretty well with a strong Bruins club in the early 90s, has worked under Vigneault in Vancouver for years so has done very well as an assistant, and is (I believe) bilingual. Just spitballin'.

• Upvote 1

WTF ? I'm totally against picking a french canadian GM or coach just cuz of the language thing. You might mistake me with some other member on this board.

And if you're refering to this post : http://forums.habsworld.net/index.php?showtopic=23080&view=findpost&p=433967 , I was just stating the most logical choices out there, those that would make the cut given the French Speaking situation, not my personal choices.

Please accept my apologies Joe. I'd "prefer" they be French speaking. But hope for the best.

Please accept my apologies Joe. I'd "prefer" they be French speaking. But hope for the best.

No offense taken.

By the way, when Cunneyworth was hired, I made a poll on Facebook and asked my "friends" if the perspective of having a head coach that doesn't speak french was something that would bother them. The results were 25-No and 9-Yes.

They don't have to speak French when they are signed, but they need to learn. I've heard that in all of Muller's time in Montreal, he never learned how to speak French. That's unacceptable to me. If Jim Nill came aboard, which I hope he does, I don't expect him to know a single sentence when getting to the team. But after a year as GM, he should be able to say a few sentences.

I think thats fair.

Unfortunately as we've seen with Cunneyworth, pledging to learn isn't good enough for some members of the media, and the politicaly extremists

Clearly, the Montreal Canadiens have an awful PR group. Everyone could see horribly botched they handled that announcement. It should have been immediately Gauthier saying, "Randy Cunnyworth will be the new interim coach. Now, Cunnyworth does not speak much French right now but when he got the position as assistant coach he pledged to learn. I ask for your patience."

Instead, they simply made the announcement and let the extremists run with it. Only AFTER the fact apologizing for his lack of French and making Cunnyworth come out and say he plans to learn. It was done so terribly. It's why I have no faith in Gauthier and little faith in Molson right now until I see some real organizational change.

Clearly, the Montreal Canadiens have an awful PR group. Everyone could see horribly botched they handled that announcement. It should have been immediately Gauthier saying, "Randy Cunnyworth will be the new interim coach. Now, Cunnyworth does not speak much French right now but when he got the position as assistant coach he pledged to learn. I ask for your patience."

Instead, they simply made the announcement and let the extremists run with it. Only AFTER the fact apologizing for his lack of French and making Cunnyworth come out and say he plans to learn. It was done so terribly. It's why I have no faith in Gauthier and little faith in Molson right now until I see some real organizational change.

Yeah they need to hire someone to handle the media statements because it really just seems like they dont use any long term thought with their announcements.

Yeah they need to hire someone to handle the media statements because it really just seems like they dont use any long term thought with their announcements.

Absolutely... Pierre Boivin was the marketing guru and president of the team up until this year.

I think the Habs miss him massively.

There is a direct correlation from when he left the team to when the relationship between the team and media fell off a cliff.

We need Quebec back so that they can do the whole french thing :)

pretty much.

Absolutely... Pierre Boivin was the marketing guru and president of the team up until this year.

I think the Habs miss him massively.

There is a direct correlation from when he left the team to when the relationship between the team and media fell off a cliff.

Yes, they need Boivin back. Then they need to hire Anglophone coaches and GMs. Then they need to ignore protesters and wait for the controversy to pass.