Cammalleri Traded to Calgary

Commandant

A valid point of view. All I'm saying is that anyone who has taken this position (often vehemently and angrily) has absolutely zero right to jump up and down with rage if the Habs now deal Kostitsyn, in exactly the same scenario.

There is a difference if they actually TRY to sign Ak46 or just trade him or even let him walk without an attempt to sign him - kind of like with Wiz last year, where they made no attempt to sign him and then traded his rights 2 days before UFA season for a late round pick

Who knows, maybe in a couple of years, Bourque has scored 25+ for us reliably and Holland is emerging as a real player, this trade looks great.

Right now, it's what everyone thinks, a ridiculous under-selling of our most dangerous offensive player. That being said, I still think Bourque may prove to be a decent acquisition in both cap and hockey terms.

The Cammy deal I was fantasizing about was one where he was packaged with a prospect like Weber + a pick for a major asset

I totally agree with these statements. I can see Bourque being a useful player for us moving forward for sure, but it is totally a let down in terms of thinking about what Cammy perhaps could have brought instead. Of course it is easier to play armchair GM and assume that any deal we want to make would get done, but that's not the reality.

Cammy was the guy to trade. Pleks is not going anywhere. He isn't a number one center, but he will be a good number 2 guy.

If we dump Gomez, I would be willing to keep Gionta. We can have one guy like that, we just can't have too many. I am not upset we traded Cammy, I am upset that we didn't maximize the return. As I said before, I won't be surprised if PG just got screwed by Cammy himself, who was tipped off that he needed to faciliate a trade.

In any case, PG has to go. He has been the source of most of the circus in Montreal this season. He is making me like the steady determination of Burke.

So he made those comments. It doesn't follow that we HAD to trade him then and there. That's the sort of blinkered thinking that has hampered this franchise for decades - starting with that idiot Ronald Corey forcing Serge Savard to trade Chelios because of his dubious off-ice antics. A good organization is ruthless in maximizing its assets. You're right to cite Burke, who makes mistakes but at least doesn't piddle away major assets for irrelevant reasons.

I won't cry if PG goes, but here's a thought: we won't really know what this deal amounts to until he spends the $3 mil he just saved. Something else to chew over.

Your best center will be something like minus 25 and 55 points. he never shows when the going gets tough. I would move him in heartbeat.

You get another first and a prospect.

I am just in the minority on Plaks and Ak46.

If that is your mindset, you will be rebuilding perpetually. You have to identify your core and hang on to those guys. If you're so quick to get 1st round picks for struggling players, you'll always have tons of prospects but never have a contending team.

There is a general disbelief by the Calgary media that they were able to STEAL Cammy for Bourque. Many considered his declining speed, his lazy attitude and contract length as untradable.

Flames fans on HFboards aren't very happy. The response there is similar to the reaction here.

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=1079205&page=3

There is a difference if they actually TRY to sign Ak46 or just trade him or even let him walk without an attempt to sign him - kind of like with Wiz last year, where they made no attempt to sign him and then traded his rights 2 days before UFA season for a late round pick

I absolutely, 100% agree with you here. You HAVE to at least feel Kostitsyn out, see what he's looking for.

It's almost as if the Habs under Gainey and Gauthier have been too lazy to bother with these sorts of things. Make serious inquiries to Wiz? Naaaah, too much trouble. Talk to Kosty's agent? Oh, it's long distance. Shop Halak or Cammy around trying to create a bidding war? Bah, it's almost dinner time, just make the deal already.

That being said, we cannot assume Kosty is particularly interested in locking in. Provided PG does due diligence I have no problem with dealing him if he can't be signed.

Sorry, guys, i am just not a Pleks fan. I agree he may get better, this may be wgho he is.

Who is he? The guy who has led our team in scoring for the last 3 years?

You can't argue he vanishes when going gets tough. He has done that every year.

Like last year when he shut down the Kreijci line in the playoffs. Or the year before when he helped to shut down Crosby.

All while being the centre who was setting up Cammalleri at the other end of the ice?

Habs29, i agree about Wisnewski, i said over and over he was the ONE guy they couldn't let go.

Yes, plus i beleive PG is doing whatever he can to save his job.

The team is a rudderless ship right now. They need a direction, i like the fact they got bigger, perhaps a decent center prospect with some size. But until they know what management and the coaching situation is, they NEED to maximize the ufa's and clear some cap space for the next coaching and GM staff.

If that is your mindset, you will be rebuilding perpetually. You have to identify your core and hang on to those guys. If you're so quick to get 1st round picks for struggling players, you'll always have tons of prospects but never have a contending team.

+1

That is the Mike Milbury syndrome. Draft Luongo, then move him to draft dipietro.

Flames fans on HFboards aren't very happy. The response there is similar to the reaction here.

http://hfboards.com/...=1079205&page=3

listen to the Flames-sharks game on fan 960, or to eric francis and company during the game on sportsnet.

http://hfboards.com/...=1079205&page=3

Interesting link, thanks. I think the outrage is in a lower register, centering NOT on the players per se but rather the 2nd rounder and the cap hit. Like I say, if both players maintain their levels of production from the past two seasons ya gotta admit we ARE the winners in the trade. Not that I think it's a great trade.

I absolutely, 100% agree with you here. You HAVE to at least feel Kostitsyn out, see what he's looking for.

It's almost as if the Habs under Gainey and Gauthier have been too lazy to bother with these sorts of things. Make serious inquiries to Wiz? Naaaah, too much trouble. Talk to Kosty's agent? Oh, it's long distance. Shop Halak or Cammy around trying to create a bidding war? Bah, it's almost dinner time, just make the deal already.

That being said, we cannot assume Kosty is particularly interested in locking in. Provided PG does due diligence I have no problem with dealing him if he can't be signed.

Frankly, i don't think the habs have any interest in resigning him and will move him by the deadline, without any attempt to sign him.

I fear cammy will explode in a new city.... like every problem child we trade away.

we sell these guys at such low value, thats my biggest issue.

I predict at least 15 goals during the last half of the year.

Frankly, i don't think the habs have any interest in resigning him and will move him by the deadline, without any attempt to sign him.

We may never know. I'll cling to the hope that they are at least minimally competent.

Cammy will be back with Iginla in a city he wanted to remain in in the first place. The odds are good his production will spike.

listen to the Flames-sharks game on fan 960, or to eric francis and company during the game on sportsnet.

I'm sure there are people who consider it a steal for Calgary.

But on HFboards the general sentiment from Habs fans, Flames fans, and impartial fans is that it's a pretty even trade. Most Habs fans seem to be happy with it, actually, and there's not much talk on there of the Habs getting ripped off, which is surprising, because I thought the Kaberle trade was better than this one and they were getting universally ripped for it on that site.

We may never know. I'll cling to the hope that they are at least minimally competent.

Cammy will be back with Iginla in a city he wanted to remain in in the first place. The odds are good his production will spike.

main thing is that he will be allowed to play his game. It made no sense for us to sign fast speedy guys and hire Martin as the coach.

I'm sure there are people who consider it a steal for Calgary.

But on HFboards the general sentiment from Habs fans, Flames fans, and impartial fans is that it's a pretty even trade. Most Habs fans seem to be happy with it, actually, and there's not much talk on there of the Habs getting ripped off, which is surprising, because I thought the Kaberle trade was better than this one and they were getting universally ripped for it on that site.

I've been listening to TSN radio on Montreal and flames radio. Montreal radio announcers/guests and callers outraged. Here in Calgary they are loving the deal. I've already got 7 emails from co-workers and friends here telling me how they raped us!

Uh...you know we fired JM, right?

Yeah, but its not like Cammy was happy under Martin's system.

Interesting link, thanks. I think the outrage is in a lower register, centering NOT on the players per se but rather the 2nd rounder and the cap hit. Like I say, if both players maintain their levels of production from the past two seasons ya gotta admit we ARE the winners in the trade. Not that I think it's a great trade.

Habs fans are saying: We lost our best available player and we wanted more, but we saved cap space, and got the better pick and prospect without hurting the team too much.

Flames fans are saying: We got the best player and he should spark our offense, but we're over the cap, and need more youth, not less of it.

It is disappointing for both, yet fair for both. But on that site, cap space is way overvalued and players like Cammy are basically considered bums. Yesterday there was a thread asking Flames fans if they'd trade Bourque for Cammalleri straight up and most of them said no.

Well, I'm calming down a little.

We get a 25+ goal-scorer (presumably) with size and a desirable viciousness, a 2nd-round pick in a deep draft, the 9th overall scorer in the WHL, AND $3 million to play with annually. Yeah, we could gotten more, but the latter three elements *are* arguably the sorts of ingredients that characterize a 'retool for the future' kind of deal. In principle, and on reflection, this turns out to be exactly the sort of trade that most fans on this site have clamoured for all season: 'save cap space, get bigger, get young assets, move under-performing duds.'

A sour response is, I think, still appropriate. But patience is also called for here as the full implications will take a while to unfold. Meanwhile, more is to come in terms of dumping bloated contracts - I hope.

I'm glad I'm not smart. I have to believe that Gauthier is not a hack. I rather suspect that he has been talking with GM's for some time anticipating different scenarios and putting out feelers.

I have to believe that he has a pretty good assesment of virtually every team in the NHL, what they can and would do , for what reasons.

The deal may not be a good one. I don't know. I'm frankly not smart enough. I really hope that Gauthier is. I would have expected more for Cammy.... but from whom , and why?

A bigger plan? Tradeoffs..so to speak? Cap space as smarter guys have mentionned? What do I know.

I enjoyed the hell out of watching Cammy's playoff one-timers, and I'll miss the excitement.

I'm not happy , but I'm not informed enough to be too, too sad.

Talent analysis from hockeysfuture on Holland:

Talent Analysis

Holland is one of those players who can sometimes go unnoticed but he can do it all. He sees the ice well, can set up teammates, will score the big goal and can shut-down the opposition's best players. He played a big role this season on the team's penalty killing unit and at times produced star games when his team seemed to need it. Holland needs to add more muscle mass to his thin frame while continuing his improvement of his two-way game to play at the professional level.

Also mentioned is his high hockey IQ and creativity.