Rangers vs Habs, Jan. 15, 7 PM EST

dlbalr

Subban Spit Gate

http://sports.yahoo...._medium=twitter

My own comment: Yes its me with the first comment

"According to your story, Hernandez passes you and starts walking up the ramp. Then you say you were struck on the right temple. The spit then proceeds to ricochet off the temple, striking Newman between the third and fourth rib. The spit then came off the rib turned and hit Newman in the right wrist, causing him to drop his baseball cap. The spit then splashed off the wrist, pauses — in mid air, mind you — makes a left turn and lands on Newman's left thigh. That is one magic loogie."

Nice Seinfeld Classic :)

On thing that I disliked in this game was the amount of passes in the skates. Several were from Max Pac, a major one being during a 3 on 1.

I saw that too, but it's a problem in most of the games. IMO, it's not only a question of talent. You see our best players, including Plekanec and Desharnais, doing that. It means that the level of confidence is very low, and that they are nervous. If we could win five or six games in row (I am dreaming, of course), you would see better passes and a lot more nice plays like the one on Desharnais' goal.

Negativism grows on you. Even more so than positivism.

Nice end to the weekend. Bourque looks like a good piece to the puzzle going forward. We're slowly but surely getting bigger.

Agree,now we have to do it on the back end. The only D I want to see here for next year is P.K,Gorges, and Emelin. Possibly Weber as a #7. Gill,Campoli,Kaberle and Diaz out.

LOL, I have seen players spit on the ice as other players are coming by the bench so many times.. most of them are completely clueless since they spit on the ice about one thousand times a game. Since it was Subban, I am sure certain members of the media will try to make a stink about and certain Subban haters will go on about his "antics".

LOL, I have seen players spit on the ice as other players are coming by the bench so many times.. most of them are completely clueless since they spit on the ice about one thousand times a game. Since it was Subban, I am sure certain members of the media will try to make a stink about and certain Subban haters will go on about his "antics".

I like how he was accused of turtling. Sure, that's sort of what he did, but when a dozen players come barrelling down on you, I don't care if I got a visor on, I'm turtling too. Last thing I need is a skate to the jaw.

could only listen to the last two periods of the game on the radio, but did see the highlights on tsn. Looks like one of our better efforts. Were the rangers a complete no show, or were we that good?

I can't beieve all the fuss about Subban's spitting on the ice.

Confused here, not sure what to think? Last night on l'antichambre, some actual respect given to Cunneyworth and his system. The short passes, the sustained pressure, less sitting back. But the other thing that get's me is the idea of Cammalleri and his bad attitude. You had Michel Bergeron saying the team is clearly playing better without that malcontent Cammi. I realize it's the ex Nordique, but it's seemingly everywhere, this bad attitude in the room theme. As much as I want it to be true, and that we "won" that trade, it's a little early to make such a declaration. Why the hate on here for Cammi? And on the flip side, the CBC lovefest for him? Odd times. Even when factoring in that Cammi wasn't happy, it's as if the local media is, as a group, defending the team.

Georges Laraque once said that Cammalleri got bashed by Martin for "asking for a letter" and playing a bad game. Then at a Habs Christmas party, Maxim Lapierre chose Mike Cammalleri to give a gift to. Cammalleri opened it up to see a big letter C. He got furious about it and left the Christmas party. Laraque was one of the big leakers from the Habs dressing room and I guess told a lot of negative stories about Cammalleri's ego. No idea how he even had that many.

CBC loves Cammalleri because at one point the hockey media deemed Cammalleri the "Superstar" of the Habs and the guy you throw up in frozen images, show highlights from and generally focus on. This wasn't just the hockey media but the NHL did it as well with the tire rolling commercial. Him, Price and Subban were the faces of the team. Since Cammalleri stayed in Canada with the trade I believe they consider it Calgary getting a "Superstar" and that gives them someone other than Iginla to show in a Flames sweater.

The CBC loves Cammy because he is off the Canadians and back to Calgary. They were not that in love with him when he was a Hab, in fact, many of them talked about how poorly he was doing this year.

TSN was more fair. The trade had a lot of smell to it and they clearly didn't shop him properly, but it was not that unbalanced given the size of the contracts and the size of the players. I think we could have gotten more for him if we had properly done the bidding war, but that has more to do with the throw ins that the one to one players involved.

TSN was more fair. The trade had a lot of smell to it and they clearly didn't shop him properly, but it was not that unbalanced given the size of the contracts and the size of the players. I think we could have gotten more for him if we had properly done the bidding war, but that has more to do with the throw ins that the one to one players involved.

It was very hard to do a bidding war with Cammalleri. Montreal was already being blasted by the media. Openly trading Cammalleri would have just made things worse and even if Cammalleri wasn't the most popular guy in the locker room, he was still liked and considered a veteran. I don't think it would have been good for the locker either.

Then again, things have been so terrible they might as well have. If you're gonna fall, you better go rock bottom.

it isn't public.. it is letting other GMs know you are willing to trade him and are accepting offers. It happens all the time. Calgary was shopping Bourque earlier in the season to any and all teams interested.

Cammy could easily been shopped quietly. I can guarantee you that there a lot of players on the market from many teams right now.

We know for sure that he was shopped to Columbus, Florida, Calgary, LA so the question is to who else. There were many rumour that the deal was Cammy to Columbus for Brassard. Something many sites were reporting as a done deal. Was it a coinciende that right after being dealt to Calgary that Florida dumped Esposito as well?

Those who think that Gauthier was only in contact with calgary are mistaken.

Good game last night, yeah, but those praising Cunneyworth's 'system' should keep in mind those ridiculously long stretches where the Rangers cycled the puck in our zone seemingly at will. I have seldom seen the Habs so utterly outclassed in their own end for such sustained stretches of time - this wasn't the JM 'collapse around the slot and keep them to the periphery' thing, it was headless chicken stuff. Playing keepaway. So that's a bit unsettling.

Good game last night, yeah, but those praising Cunneyworth's 'system' should keep in mind those ridiculously long stretches where the Rangers cycled the puck in our zone seemingly at will. I have seldom seen the Habs so utterly outclassed in their own end for such sustained stretches of time - this wasn't the JM 'collapse around the slot and keep them to the periphery' thing, it was headless chicken stuff. Playing keepaway. So that's a bit unsettling.

On the flip side the Ranegrs cycled the puck for long periods of time but rarely was the puck brought into good scoring areas during those strecthes. We were able to keep it to the outside however exhausting it was.

I don't believe 1 second that Columbus was an option. Any player getting close to 30 years old and who never won the Stanley Cup will have Columbus on his NTC list of 7 teams.

it isn't public.. it is letting other GMs know you are willing to trade him and are accepting offers. It happens all the time. Calgary was shopping Bourque earlier in the season to any and all teams interested.

Cammy could easily been shopped quietly. I can guarantee you that there a lot of players on the market from many teams right now.

Doesn't take much for a GM to tell the media about how they were approached by X team shopping X player.

Inability to defend the cycle has been this teams problem all year. They need a guy who is both good positionally and has size and uses it. Hamrlik did this for us before.

Now I'm not saying we should have kept him because 2 years was too long at his age. But we need a replacement for that next year.

Inability to defend the cycle has been this teams problem all year. They need a guy who is both good positionally and has size and uses it. Hamrlik did this for us before.

Now I'm not saying we should have kept him because 2 years was too long at his age. But we need a replacement for that next year.

I believe CC ended up being 100% correct with his fears in the off season. Not signing Wiz when Markov was not ready, combined with the loss of Hammer made the defense too weak. I believe that this melddown doesn't happen with Wiz, Hammer, and Spacek instead of Markov, Gill, Campoli, and Kaberle. Having said that, I am sort of glad that it did happen. It exposed our weaknesses and forced Gauthier to adress them.

Desharnais has now tied Plekanec in points, and Pleks has the worst +/- on the team at -11.

Wow.

Not to mention DD is second on the team in +/- with +8...

I don't know if I'd believe someone telling me Pleks is our shutdown center and that DD is to small to do center coverage haha

I believe CC ended up being 100% correct with his fears in the off season. Not signing Wiz when Markov was not ready, combined with the loss of Hammer made the defense too weak. I believe that this melddown doesn't happen with Wiz, Hammer, and Spacek instead of Markov, Gill, Campoli, and Kaberle. Having said that, I am sort of glad that it did happen. It exposed our weaknesses and forced Gauthier to adress them.

I don't know about that... Spacek didn't do much for us; he was always hurt.

And Hammer hasn't been great in Washington.

I think we need to remember that these two were aging defencemen and their play was diminishing.

We couldn't keep them forever, and it was time to cut bait.

I agree 100% that we need what Hammer was bringing, but I don' t believe that Hammer himself was still capable of what he had done the last 4 years for us. We made a mistake in not replacing that (and Campoli wasn't good enough) but I don't think it was a mistake to let Hammer himself go.

There comes time you just can't keep relying on 38 year old D.

I don't know about that... Spacek didn't do much for us; he was always hurt.

And Hammer hasn't been great in Washington.

I think we need to remember that these two were aging defencemen and their play was diminishing.

We couldn't keep them forever, and it was time to cut bait.

I agree 100% that we need what Hammer was bringing, but I don' t believe that Hammer himself was still capable of what he had done the last 4 years for us. We made a mistake in not replacing that (and Campoli wasn't good enough) but I don't think it was a mistake to let Hammer himself go.

There comes time you just can't keep relying on 38 year old D.

I like what you're saying here. I diagnosed the problem all right, that's for sure. But then again, my preferred solution - keeping Hammer - probably would have been an error for the reasons you state.

Really, it all comes down to Markov. This season was destroyed for one main reason: the impotent power play caused by the loss of Markov and Wiz. (I won't reiterate all the data I cited repeatedly in defence of Martin - top-5 PK, top-10 even strength, top-5 shots against, etc.).

That's partly why I argued that we should seriously push to keep Wiz, knowing it was a long-shot, but really feeling that a D with Markov AND Wiz would be world-class, and that Wiz would offer elite-level insurance should Markov not return. But again, had he been healthy, Markov alone would almost certainly have been enough. Add Campoli in as some extra depth and we'd have been just fine. Quite likely even stronger than last year.

I also think it's unfair to say Campoli is a bust. He's suffered through one of those injury-ravaged 'lost seasons' that players sometimes endure. Had he been healthy from the start, he might have found his game, won the coaches' confidence, and offered some reasonable supplemental offence from the back end.

So I can't really blame Gauthier for what he did. He thought Markov would be back. And if that had happened my ravings about Wiz would be forgotten. What I WILL say, though, is that the refusal even to suss out Wisniweski about what it would take for him to stay seems all too typical of the Habs. We had at least an outside chance of assembling a D that would be an absolute offensive juggernaut. Rather than turn every stone to make it happen, we placidly let the guy walk. I doubt Philly, Boston, or one of those other super-aggressive 'WE WANT TO WIN AT ALL COSTS' franchises would have done the same. They might not have been able to sign him but they sure as hell would have tried.

1) I agree that keeping wiz would have helped. I'm not sure his contract would ultimately be worth it, but right now he would help, and he also would have helped not just on the PP but in our own end as well. People have written that Wiz was a defensive liability; but thats not true.... he wasn't a shut down guy, but he was a guy who could bring some physicality and be a top 4 D on the habs and was a positive contributor. Sure he made mistakes, but he was miles ahead of say Marc-Andre Bergeron.

Could we have gotten him at a reasonable price? Thats the question none of us ultimately have an answer to. And we really should have seen what he wanted..

2) Campoli, yes he should be better than he is. I agree the injuries hurt his season overall. That said, even if healthy he was a downgrade from what Hamrlik was bringing. He was never gonna play at the level Hammer was at the last 4 years, and that was what we needed to replace. Wiz may have been able to do that (from the Right side instead of the left) but Campoli never was going to. Even if he should be better than he is... its still not that good.

And even a Healthy Campoli doesn't bring the presence that slows down the cycle that has killed us all year.