Bulldogs prospects

beckham

Chris Higgins - Became a leader on the team in his second season. Great performance from a 21 year old who would be in his senior year at Yale. Matched last season's numbers on a worse team against improved competition.

Tomas Plekanec - Likewise, a courageous season, matching his numbers from a year ago in a tougher league.

Mike Komisarek - Came back reasonably well from a long layoff. Probably wasn't too anxious to go all out considering the circumstances.

Ron Hainsey - Tough situation for Hainsey who signed a nice contract only to see the rug pulled out from under his feet. Has to be wearing on a 24 year old, but he seemed to persevere through the adversity.

Yann Danis - Got used to the pro grind if nothing else. Seems like the perfect NHL backup netminder.

Corey Locke - Seemed to wear out as the season went along. Strength and durability will have to be developed.

Andrei Kostitsyn - Once the habs fanatics stopped talking about 50 NHL goals, his season was decent. Adapted to the language and culture, but didn't show many signs of becoming a scoring star down the road.

Duncan Milroy - Journeyman effort. Duncan seems to have the personality to persevere on his road to the NHL.

Andrew Archer - Same, same.

No one else worth mentioning.

[Edited on 2005/5/3 by beckham]

Dustin Brown continues to rip it up during the playoffs.:eyes: He seemed like such an obvious choice in 2003, but the Habs "braintrust":idea: had to prove they were smarter than Central Scouting...:puke: Even defenceman Ryan Suter is outscoring Kostitsyn in the AHL.

I thought your first post was quite positive. I couldn't believe it coming from you. Now with your 2nd post, I recognized our good old beckham lol

I'm not upset about Kost. It was his 1st year here. And Belarus is the furthest opposite with the USA. It's totally a different thing for him. Might have been pretty difficult to adapt (even if he surely appreciate it much better here. it surely affected his game). We'll see how he can bounce next year. Hopefully in the right direction..

Perezoghin didn't tear up the league immediately after joining the Dogs. It took him some time to adapt. So what if Kostitsyn had an average first year? Let's see how he does in a year or two. Also, I think he was playing on the third line a lot this year (Confirm/Deny?) so let's see how he does on the first or second line after some guys graduate to the NHL.

Speaking of which, I look forward to seeing Plekanec or Higgins in the Habs lineup next year. It's pretty much inevitable one will make the cut.

I'm sure Kostitsyn will get better, but I doubt that he will ever be much of an NHL player. He isn't all that bright from what I can see. The tools are there, but the toolbox never will be. He will end up shuffling around Europe (along with Marcel Hossa) in a year or two is my bet.

There was such a great group of American kids that year, Brown, Parise, Kesler, Fritsche...any one of them would have been a better pick. Not to mention Bergeron from down the street.:eyes:. I think the problem is that Timmins is not very bright himself, so he can't distinguish the smart prospects from the not so smart ones.

I thought Kostitsyn had a fine first season in Hamilton. For most of the season, he saw limited time on the 3rd and 4th lines. Because of his limited ice time, he had limited offensive opportunities. When he did get the puck in the offensive zone, he had a better shotting percentage than Ward, Higgins, and Plekanec. And as for his defensive game, he was a +6 on the season, quite an accomplishment for somebody who was said to have limited defensive ability.

Overall, I'd say his season was quite a success.

• 2 weeks later...

The guy taken right after Kostitsyn in the draft, Jeff Carter comes up for the AHL playoffs. Averaging almost a goal a game and he is 6-4, 210 pounds or something ridiculous like that.:(

Higgins and Plekanec... lol, I dont know why, but they're the two who stood out the most. (sides ward, komi, begin... who were all mostly with the habs already)

If Kovalev doesnt return, there's 2 spots open on the top 2 lines (RW of the Koivu line, LW of the Ribs line). Right now I'd say Hossa, Dagenais, Perezhogin, Higgins, Plekanec and Kostitsyn all have a chance to get there.

The 3rd line already looks set as Bulis-Bonk-Sundstrom and Begin-Ward are a lock for the 4th line, with a spot left on their LW.

My guess?

Zednik-Koivu-Perezhogin

Plekanec-Ribeiro-Ryder

Bulis-Bonk-Sundstrom

Higgins-Begin-Ward

Originally posted by ap79

My guess?

Zednik-Koivu-Perezhogin

Plekanec-Ribeiro-Ryder

Bulis-Bonk-Sundstrom

Higgins-Begin-Ward

That's an awfully young and tiny second line.

I base all my line predictions on Kovalev being a habs (don't let the dream die!!!! :contract:)

so I gotta go with:

Zednik-Koivu-Kovalev

Perezhogin-Ribiero-Ryder (also awfully young and tiny)

Bulis-Bonk-Sundstrom

Higgins-Begin-Ward

With Sundstrom/Higgins changing lines occasionally. Same with Bulis/Perezhogin. Also, they'll sign a goon for occasional 4th line work.

Hainsey will be given a shot at the Habs lineup. He will fail. D lines stay the same, trades pending.