DSLR Cameras

Colin

I'm looking into buying a DSLR in the near future and wondered if anyone here had any experience or knowledge of the market. I'm looking for a 'beginner' camera, but one that's got plenty of room for improvement. My research has so far left me looking at either the Nikon 5100 or the Nikon 7000. I don't know much about Canon's, but everywhere I go, the consensus seems to be that Nikon's are better. That's published by people I don't know. I'd prefer to hear what people I know have to say about the cameras they use.

I'm looking into buying a DSLR in the near future and wondered if anyone here had any experience or knowledge of the market. I'm looking for a 'beginner' camera, but one that's got plenty of room for improvement. My research has so far left me looking at either the Nikon 5100 or the Nikon 7000. I don't know much about Canon's, but everywhere I go, the consensus seems to be that Nikon's are better. That's published by people I don't know. I'd prefer to hear what people I know have to say about the cameras they use.

What are you using it for?

I've never used a Nikon... Everybody I know uses Canon and there seems to a widespread feeling that Canon > Nikon, probably mostly based on attachment to the brand and that's it. They're more expensive but the Canon 7D and 5D are good enough to shoot professional quality. If you're looking for something cheaper and all you aren't shooting any feature movies or anything then the Canon Rebel is probably good enough for you. There's a few different kinds of Rebels, I think the t3i is the most recent.

What are you using it for?

I've never used a Nikon... Everybody I know uses Canon and there seems to a widespread feeling that Canon > Nikon, probably mostly based on attachment to the brand and that's it. They're more expensive but the Canon 7D and 5D are good enough to shoot professional quality. If you're looking for something cheaper and all you aren't shooting any feature movies or anything then the Canon Rebel is probably good enough for you. There's a few different kinds of Rebels, I think the t3i is the most recent.

It's just brand favouritism. Journalists, photojournalists to be specific have always preferred the Canon brand to other brands. I own a Nikon and it does everything a Canon does. It's really all about your (expensive) lenses.

It's just brand favouritism. Journalists, photojournalists to be specific have always preferred the Canon brand to other brands. I own a Nikon and it does everything a Canon does. It's really all about your (expensive) lenses.

Heh. I have Minolta (Sony).

Out of curiosity, are you Nikon lovers using your cameras for photography or videos? The Canon users I know do it use their cameras primarily for video.

I have a Canon and love it...very user friendly for amateur use.

Lots of lens options including both Canon and aftermarket lenses.

As for quality on every SLR it is about the lens. Both Canon and Nikon are good in body and lens options. Can't go wrong with either...

My advice is to get a decent body and spend on the lenses...if you really enjoy it then upgrade the body in a few years. I still use my Canon XSI body and it's still great...and they've had around 3 generational upgrades since...IIRC...

Wouldn't worry about video a whole lot...if you want that buy a camcorder or even a compact camera (which do have some decent video at a fraction of the price).

Definitely invest in a good comfortable bag that has easy access and is comfortable to carry for hours. You do NOT want the standard kit bag on your shoulder for 6 hours...may not seem like much but throw 8 pounds of stuff on your shoulder for hours on end and you'll buy a bag the next day.

Also buy good, fast, memory to ensure you can use all camera functions optimally.

Be prepared to spend $1200 for a solid beginner set (2 lenses, body, bag, memory). Secondary upgrades are filters, flash upgrades and specialty or high end lenses, maybe a tripod or unipod.

You also may want to consider a compact SLR...smaller, lighter and you can change lenses...I don't have one but was impressed with some at the store recently. They seem to be gaining popularity...

I bought at Blacks using price match...they also throw in a cleaning, a whack of free prints and a free training class for your camera. Pretty good extras considering they price matched a very low price from Vistek. Those extras are standard offers from them still I believe...