GDT: Habs @ Penguins, the quickie edition

Commandant

thots on the game (since I was there)

Cole is amazing. I found myself looking forward to his next shift on the ice because he always made something happen.

campoli is worse than I thought.

I love being in the building when they boo subban. the fans I spoke too actually think he is a great player regardless of his offensive drop this year. I don't want him traded away. that said, if those around me would be objective, they'd notice he made a zillion mistakes and very few good plays to compensate.

was Kaberle like this with the maples? his defensive brain cramps are astounding! that said, he is doing what he is paid to do, he just has to be paired with a very good partner.

if u think the pp looks bad on tv, it looks worse in person.

Eller is underrated. he works his butt off out there.

plexs looked soft for most of the game. I think I only noticed positive things from him a couple of times in the whole game - the other times I couldn't believe that was him playing like that!

bourque disappointed. saw nothing I liked out of him. I am still in the camp that liked the Cami for Bourque trade, but he didnt appear to have much of a sense of where to be out there, nor did he at least bring any energy.

deharnais, pax, cole - FINALLY a true #1 line!!!

moen ... oh why oh why??? way too much ice time, too many mistakes - pp??? double shifted in ot??? keep him as third/fourth line and pk ... PLEASE!

did I already say Campoli was terrible?

seemed to me we won more face offs than i expected we would - don't know the stats but we won a lot of key ones this time (at least it felt that way)

AK? meh - mediocre. goal was nice but he didn't stand out any more than Gorges or darche, IMO.

deharnais is a smart player.

that is all.

I agree with all that from what I saw on TV. The biggest disappointment was Bourque,who played as advertised:invisible at times and a force when he wants to. last night was the invisible part to the point where he didn't earn a single ot shift.And we have another 4 years of this ? We didn't need to trade Cammi to get a Bourque. Torres as a UFA last summer @$2m/yr would have been as good. Cammi was the best of the 3 amigos we signed,and was a true playoff star.Wouldn't help this year,but the next 2.

thots on the game (since I was there)

Cole is amazing. I found myself looking forward to his next shift on the ice because he always made something happen.

campoli is worse than I thought.

I love being in the building when they boo subban. the fans I spoke too actually think he is a great player regardless of his offensive drop this year. I don't want him traded away. that said, if those around me would be objective, they'd notice he made a zillion mistakes and very few good plays to compensate.

was Kaberle like this with the maples? his defensive brain cramps are astounding! that said, he is doing what he is paid to do, he just has to be paired with a very good partner.

if u think the pp looks bad on tv, it looks worse in person.

Eller is underrated. he works his butt off out there.

plexs looked soft for most of the game. I think I only noticed positive things from him a couple of times in the whole game - the other times I couldn't believe that was him playing like that!

bourque disappointed. saw nothing I liked out of him. I am still in the camp that liked the Cami for Bourque trade, but he didnt appear to have much of a sense of where to be out there, nor did he at least bring any energy.

deharnais, pax, cole - FINALLY a true #1 line!!!

moen ... oh why oh why??? way too much ice time, too many mistakes - pp??? double shifted in ot??? keep him as third/fourth line and pk ... PLEASE!

did I already say Campoli was terrible?

seemed to me we won more face offs than i expected we would - don't know the stats but we won a lot of key ones this time (at least it felt that way)

AK? meh - mediocre. goal was nice but he didn't stand out any more than Gorges or darche, IMO.

deharnais is a smart player.

that is all.

Neat review. I enjoy that sort of 'point form' assessment.

I love Desharnais. But I also can't help but wonder if he is the sort of player that thrives on bad teams...you know, the ones without the depth to throw bigger, more all-around players out there in his place. But I'm not slagging him. Cole has surpassed expectations, all right. It's almost as though he needed to come out from Staal's shadow in order to fully flourish. Funny that no one mentions Cole's absence as an explanation for Staal's struggles. This guy is a beast. What kills me is the irrational gut feeling that, by the time the Habs finally get it together to ice a competitive team, he will probably suffer a raft of injuries.

The success of that line is so frustrating. Think about it. This season should have gone as follows:

Cammalleri - Plekanec - Gionta/Kostitsyn

MaxPac - Cole - Desharnais

Those are two strong lines right there. No, not dominant Getzlaf-Perry lines, but a dangerous, intelligent, hard-to-contain two-way punch. Instead the total evaporation of the first three guys destroyed our season. We finally acquire some power forwards and they're gone to waste because our first-liners decided to piss away a season (and then we decided to piss away Cammalleri altogether).

Cammalleri - Plekanec - Gionta was never going to work. I said that from the day they were put together. There is noone on that line capable of retrieving pucks for the other guys. No size. Just can't play all three together.

Frustrating that they never tried Gionta with Eller, which would have freed up Kostitsyn to go back with Pleks and Cammy and play that role; or that they never really gave the Cammy-Pleks-Cole line much of a chance. I feel like that line never got a chance to stay together more than a game at a time.

Frustrating that they never tried Gionta with Eller, which would have freed up Kostitsyn to go back with Pleks and Cammy and play that role; or that they never really gave the Cammy-Pleks-Cole line much of a chance. I feel like that line never got a chance to stay together more than a game at a time.

It's the stupid "duo" concept that Martin has that Cunneyworth clearly has as well. If you're gonna juggle the lines, juggle them! Don't half ass it. You got six wingers and three centers. You have to try every combination in the book instead of just going, "well this is a duo that won't be broken". It would have been great to see some line combos like Patches/Eller/Gionta or Cam/Eller/Cole or Patches/Pleks/Kostitsyn. Even with Gomez back, try something new. This is the time to find hidden chemistry, as I stated in another thread.

I agree about the Cam/Plek/Cole line, it had a lot of potential that the coaches just didn't have patience for.