2012 NHL Entry Draft talk

Commandant

Am I the only one who wants to go with the Swede ?

I would prefer a c but forsberg would be a great as well. We need a forward we look very set with what we have coming in a few years.

It's nice to roll in the mud!

29th baby.

Really hoping to lose the next two in regulation.

Would pretty much lock up a top 3 pick even if a team behind them losses the lottery.

Baby.

Can't believe they are going to get an elite and possibly NHL ready prospect.

Also Go Leafs Go

I hope they reel off a nice 3 game winning streak.

Am I the only one who wants to go with the Swede ?

I havent seen enough of Forsberg to say I like him. The only full games i saw him play were the WJCs and he was not a major piece on that team and was even outperformed by another 18 year old in Collberg. I'll trust Timmins if he takes him, but a few youtubes isnt enough for me. Pavel Brendl looks good on youtube, so does David Fischer. Thats the problem with highlight packages instead of full gammes, you get 3:00 of only the guys best plays and none of his worst or none of what he looks like over the course of a full game.

I loved how TSN put.. "Edmonton dropped to third in the lottery race with the win"... LOL.. exactly. We are not in the stanley cup race, we are in the lottery race. We might as well do it properly.

If we can nail down the 2nd spot we have the best shot at a franchise player since Price and only our 2nd decent pick in decades.

Now we just need a GM who can make the most of the team assets and start filling in the pieces to make us a solid contender for years to come.

I havent seen enough of Forsberg to say I like him. The only full games i saw him play were the WJCs and he was not a major piece on that team and was even outperformed by another 18 year old in Collberg. I'll trust Timmins if he takes him, but a few youtubes isnt enough for me. Pavel Brendl looks good on youtube, so does David Fischer. Thats the problem with highlight packages instead of full gammes, you get 3:00 of only the guys best plays and none of his worst or none of what he looks like over the course of a full game.

Which is sort of why i was wondering if the U18 is being televised at all; as Forsberg is playing for Sweden and now Galchenyuk should be playing for USA team eh?

US named their roster for the U18 and left Galchenyuk off of it.

Its all politics. They took their entire NTDP team, and didn't take a single CHL player, but took all their NTDP guys instead.

Leave their best player at home, i bet he's pissed.

Look at the team

http://usahockey.cac...8WMC_Roster.pdf

Look at the column listing 2011-12 team, its all political bullshit. The only guy not listed as NTDP is Danny O'Regan and he actually is NTDP, he joined last month. You have to join their little cult to get a spot on the team.

No Galchenyuk and no Nieves. I hope they get smoked, and I will laugh my ass off when the problem with their team is that they have a good defence but can't score goals.

Didn't Galchenyuk miss most of the season? Seems like we are basing our expectations of him off his rookie year, which was great, but must hurt his draft position. Markov was great too, but we have to wait and see what his knee does to his overall performance next year.

Didn't Galchenyuk miss most of the season? Seems like we are basing our expectations of him off his rookie year, which was great, but must hurt his draft position. Markov was great too, but we have to wait and see what his knee does to his overall performance next year.

He did miss almost the entire year... but he has so much talent and dominated when he did play. He showed up Yakupov according to scouts, thats some serious talent!

I know, but I kinda want the Habs to take a Swedish path. I like all of them, how they play and how they work hard. Some of them are great leaders too (Lidstrom, Alfie).

I'm a bit tired of the Russians and all the drama. Even if they played their junior in NA, they might bail at any moment (Radu).

Will be watching Forsberg live on this friday but I really suck at spotting single players. He has done good in the last two games though but Im a bit scared about his high end value at the draft since he hasnt even played in the top swedish division yet AND he has been mostly a bottom 6 player for Leksand this season. Looking at players like Pääjärvi who was playing in the top league on top lines at the same age Im afraid that Forsberg is a couple of years away from the NHL at least and not the next years saviour the habs fans would demand of him.

I know, but I kinda want the Habs to take a Swedish path. I like all of them, how they play and how they work hard. Some of them are great leaders too (Lidstrom, Alfie).

I'm a bit tired of the Russians and all the drama. Even if they played their junior in NA, they might bail at any moment (Radu).

First rounders 2005-2009 out of Sweden who look like shit.

How do you feel about Magnus Paajarvi-Svensson (#10 overall pick)... 2 goals in 41 games for the Oilers this year... only 5 goals in 28 AHL games?

What about David Rundblad who got sent back to the AHL?

Where is 2008 NHL 1st rounder Anton Gustaffson?

Was Mattias Tedenby worth a 2008 first round pick?

Mikael Backlund sucks in Calgary.

Dennis Persson 2006 first round pick for Buffalo

Nicklas Bergfors

Sweden has its share of disappointing guys and busts too. You can't base a scouting decision on where a kid was born.

I agree with all of those except Magnus Paajarvi-Svensson.  Kid is only 20.  Patience.

(I also think edmonton wanted Cowen and just took BPA)

Paarjvi and Rundblad could both be good NHLers.  I agree there.  Fact is though they aren't getting it done yet, when other players drafted around them are.  I shouldn't have called them busts, but my point was that just because Landeskog, Hedman, and Larsson look good, doesn't mean the next Swede will be awesome too.  Forsberg might be, but he might not be.  I'd like to see him in games so I can judge him for his individual talents, rather than where he was born.

As for being in the Allvensken instead of the Swedish Elite League.  That isn't something you can blame on Forsberg or his play.  You have to remember that the Euro leagues run their leagues like soccer.  His team got demoted to the 2nd division (like in Soccer) the year before he joined, and are trying to qualify for the Elitserran again.  Its not like he was sent down to play in the Swedish version of the AHL, and he didn't sign with this team knowing they'd be in a lower league, he was coming up through their development program when they were an Elite League Club.  That said, his playing time is not great, but his numbers for a 17 year old are actually very good.  They are about 4x what Patrick Berglund had in the same league at the same age. (3g 1a 4pts in 21 games, drafted 25th overall... vs 8 goals 17pts in 41 games. Tough league to score in for a 17 year old.

Paarjvi and Rundblad could both be good NHLers. I agree there. Fact is though they aren't getting it done yet, when other players drafted around them are. I shouldn't have called them busts, but my point was that just because Landeskog, Hedman, and Larsson look good, doesn't mean the next Swede will be awesome too. Forsberg might be, but he might not be. I'd like to see him in games so I can judge him for his individual talents, rather than where he was born.

As for being in the Allvensken instead of the Swedish Elite League. That isn't something you can blame on Forsberg or his play. You have to remember that the Euro leagues run their leagues like soccer. His team got demoted to the 2nd division (like in Soccer) the year before he joined, and are trying to qualify for the Elitserran again. Its not like he was sent down to play in the Swedish version of the AHL, and he didn't sign with this team knowing they'd be in a lower league, he was coming up through their development program when they were an Elite League Club. That said, his playing time is not great, but his numbers for a 17 year old are actually very good. They are about 4x what Patrick Berglund had in the same league at the same age. (3g 1a 4pts in 21 games, drafted 25th overall... vs 8 goals 17pts in 41 games. Tough league to score in for a 17 year old.

Leksand has been in the 2nd division since season 2006-2007 and it IS quite a big jump in quality of the other teams you play from top division down to the 2nd. In fact most of the teams Leksand face in the 2nd division is about as bad as AHL teams compared to NHL teams. Patrik Berglund played 2 more years in the 2nd division being a top player there before going to St. Louis. I didnt say Forsberg wont become a good NHLer... I just said it might take a couple of years of developing before he is ready. Same as with Berglund. And with a top 3 draftpick I think most people wants one of those players that are ready to contribute to the Habs next season.

Leksand has been in the 2nd division since season 2006-2007 and it IS quite a big jump in quality of the other teams you play from top division down to the 2nd. In fact most of the teams Leksand face in the 2nd division is about as bad as AHL teams compared to NHL teams. Patrik Berglund played 2 more years in the 2nd division being a top player there before going to St. Louis. I didnt say Forsberg wont become a good NHLer... I just said it might take a couple of years of developing before he is ready. Same as with Berglund. And with a top 3 draftpick I think most people wants one of those players that are ready to contribute to the Habs next season.

I agree the quality of opposition is a big jump. I just don't think you can blame Forsberg and say, he should be playing in the Elite League. Leksands isn't a farm team where their big club can call him up like the AHL or Russian MHL is for the KHL, so I was clarifying that. I also agree he's gonna take time and he's one of the youngest prospects in this draft as he's an August 1994. A few more months and he would have been in the 2013 draft.

Besides all that I like Galchenyuk, and I think its unlikely (not impossible, but unlikely) he's in the NHL next year. But who will be ready fastest is never what I would base my pick on.

I agree the quality of opposition is a big jump. I just don't think you can blame Forsberg and say, he should be playing in the Elite League. Leksands isn't a farm team where their big club can call him up like the AHL or Russian MHL is for the KHL, so I was clarifying that. I also agree he's gonna take time and he's one of the youngest prospects in this draft as he's an August 1994. A few more months and he would have been in the 2013 draft.

Besides all that I like Galchenyuk, and I think its unlikely (not impossible, but unlikely) he's in the NHL next year. But who will be ready fastest is never what I would base my pick on.

I think the Oilers are one team which should consider taking a Ryan Murray, not only casue he is just bout best d-man, but like Hedman or Larrson, Murray is NHL ready now with his all-round game, whereas a Dumba or any other d-men is at least a year or 2 away, and Oilers could really use some more skill there right now.

But for Habs, will know next tuesday evening exactly where picking, whomever they have eyed up, Timmins seems to know what he is doing and i am not worried he would pick a flop.

It's good to always keep it in the back of your mind that the draft is a gamble. That said, a top three pick is almost always a sure fire NHL star. Last 10 years:

2002: Rick Nash, Kari Lehtonen, Jay Boumeester

2003: Marc-Andre Fleury, Eric Staal, Nathan Horton

2004: Alex Ovechkin, Evgeni Malkin, Cam Barker

2005: Sidney Crosby, Bobby Ryan, Jack Johnson

2006: Erik Johnson, Jordan Staal, Jonathan Toews

2007: Patrick Kane, James Van Riemsdyk, Kyle Turris

2008: Steven Stamkos, Drew Doughty, Zack Bogosian

2009: John Tavares, Victor Hedman, Matt Duchene

2010: Taylor Hall, Tyler Seguin, Erik Gubranson

2011: Ryan Hopkins, Gabriel Landeskog, Jon Huberdeau

Very few complaints for anyone choosing in the top three.

It's good to always keep it in the back of your mind that the draft is a gamble. That said, a top three pick is almost always a sure fire NHL star. Last 10 years:

2002: Rick Nash, Kari Lehtonen, Jay Boumeester

2003: Marc-Andre Fleury, Eric Staal, Nathan Horton

2004: Alex Ovechkin, Evgeni Malkin, Cam Barker

2005: Sidney Crosby, Bobby Ryan, Jack Johnson

2006: Erik Johnson, Jordan Staal, Jonathan Toews

2007: Patrick Kane, James Van Riemsdyk, Kyle Turris

2008: Steven Stamkos, Drew Doughty, Zack Bogosian

2009: John Tavares, Nik Hedman, Matt Duchene

2010: Taylor Hall, Tyler Seguin, Erik Gubranson

2011: Ryan Hopkins, Gabriel Landeskog, Jon Huberdeau

Very few complaints for anyone choosing in the top three.

I kind of agree that most are good picks,

But some years just friggin suck, like the 2004 1st round, had Ovechkin, Malkin and then basically mostly crap picks, cept Radulov at 15th, Schneider 26 and Green 29th.

So it can be quite a crap shoot.

2008 had a 1st round loaded with a ton of very good d-men and seems to be like this year will turn out quite similar, with a whole bunch of promising d prospects; such as;

Dumba/Murray/Trouba/Maatta/Reilly/Reinhart/Thrower/Ceci/Pouloit/etc etc.