2012 NHL Entry Draft talk

Commandant

Yes, you have DD, Galyenchuk, Eller, and a 4th line guy, maybe Prust, someone like that. Put him with Moen and White as your shut down guys. Use Staubitz as #13.

That leaves Gorges, Markov, Subban and Emelin as the real only 4 defenseman on the team. Who knows what will happen with Kaberle or Markov.

They have to improve the D. Pleks can land you a top 4 defenseman. I also think Emelin has to go back to the LD, he is much more noticable and physical on that side.

Any of Weber, Diaz, Campoli playing significant minutes is not a good thing.

Guys, if we're down 3-2 with a minute to go and the coach puts Kaberle on the ice, do you think we're gonna score?

I don't, because he isn't that guy.

He's got million dollar skill but no gumption. He doesn't have "it".

Now you can have those players on your team if they are surrounded by other players who have it, but trading for Kaberle to turn your season around is a pretty great way to finish 29th OA.

Guys, if we're down 3-2 with a minute to go and the coach puts Kaberle on the ice, do you think we're gonna score?

yes I do. he won't score, but he'll get an assist on the play.

Guys, if we're down 3-2 with a minute to go and the coach puts Kaberle on the ice, do you think we're gonna score? I don't, because he isn't that guy. He's got million dollar skill but no gumption. He doesn't have "it". Now you can have those players on your team if they are surrounded by other players who have it, but trading for Kaberle to turn your season around is a pretty great way to finish 29th OA.

This is my whole issue with Kaberle. For a guy with his price tag. He NEEDS to be a guy you can put on the ice when you NEED to either prevent a goal or score a goal. he isn't that guy. He'll get his cheap points in a 5-2 win or a 5-3 loss, but he isn't a difference maker. For $4.3M you need a guy who can be a difference maker.

Talk right now is that Galy will likely play in the OHL next year due to the fact he missed most of this year.

That's a bit surprising as someone who is a clear-cut top 10 draft consideration (possibly top 5) usually doesn't have much to learn at the CHL level, lost year or not. Will another year of being a big fish in a small pond really advance his development? He should be tested in the AHL.

I don't see the need to trade either. Keep pleks at centre, DD on the wing. He played the wing in last year's playoffs and looked good.

We already got lousy returns for Cammy and Ak46 and I can see us getting fair value for DD either.

Although I like Desharnais, I would trade him before Pleks. He may have less value on the trade market, but I expect we could still get a promising NHL prospect for him/

That's a bit surprising as someone who is a clear-cut top 10 draft consideration (possibly top 5) usually doesn't have much to learn at the CHL level, lost year or not. Will another year of being a big fish in a small pond really advance his development? He should be tested in the AHL.

NHL or OHL those are his options.

Not old enough for AHL.

Play him there for a bit then call up if he is just utterly destroying everyone?

Brett Connolly was in a similar situation a couple years back (essentially lost his draft year), and the Lightning sent him back. After a year there, they put him on their NHL team, but Yzerman openly bemoaned the fact they couldn't put him in the AHL.

There's a chance with a new CBA rules might change, but likely not in time for next year.

MONTREAL, QC. — What makes a good NHL player great? Is it his drive, passion and hunger to be the best? Or is it his consistency, and leadership? Filip Forsberg possess all these intangibles that are both rare and highly sought after, and perhaps one day, these qualities will help him to be a great player in the NHL.

12690460_440x326-300x222.jpgDominant is a word you will often hear when conversing about Forsberg. He is being touted as the “next big thing” to come out of Sweden, and with good reason as he has made a name for himself at every level of competition. Forsberg (no relation to former Swedish superstar Peter Forsberg), was born in Ostervala, Sweden, and has been soaring through the draft ranks, currently projected to be chosen in the top five.

Forsberg has been referred to as a power forward, due to his six foot two, one hundred and eighty pound frame. However with the way he plays the game it’s been suggested by few scouts that he plays more of a complete style, and is more of a two-way forward who loves to initiate contact.

Edited by dlbalr
Removed full article, added link

MONTREAL, QC. — What makes a good NHL player great? Is it his drive, passion and hunger to be the best? Or is it his consistency, and leadership? Filip Forsberg possess all these intangibles that are both rare and highly sought after, and perhaps one day, these qualities will help him to be a great player in the NHL.

12690460_440x326-300x222.jpgDominant is a word you will often hear when conversing about Forsberg. He is being touted as the “next big thing” to come out of Sweden, and with good reason as he has made a name for himself at every level of competition. Forsberg (no relation to former Swedish superstar Peter Forsberg), was born in Ostervala, Sweden, and has been soaring through the draft ranks, currently projected to be chosen in the top five.

Forsberg has been referred to as a power forward, due to his six foot two, one hundred and eighty pound frame. However with the way he plays the game it’s been suggested by few scouts that he plays more of a complete style, and is more of a two-way forward who loves to initiate contact.

IF we end up with him it doesn't sound like it will be a bad thing. Looks like either way you look at it we are getting a very good forward. our biggest need is center first but forsberg will be a great option

It's done to protect junior hockey.

That's a bit strange that someone can be too young for the AHL but not the NHL. I didn't know about that rule.

Talk right now is that Galy will likely play in the OHL next year due to the fact he missed most of this year.

Talk last year at this time was that RNH needed another season to bulk up and was too small to play in the NHL right away. Lets get to training camp before we make these determinations. That said, even if he needs another year in Junior, so be it. We aren't picking the guy who will be the best player in September, we need to pick the guy who will have the best career.

Talk last year at this time was that RNH needed another season to bulk up and was too small to play in the NHL right away. Lets get to training camp before we make these determinations. That said, even if he needs another year in Junior, so be it. We aren't picking the guy who will be the best player in September, we need to pick the guy who will have the best career.

Agreed, just saying what I'm hearing. Also mentioned it because some people seem to be banking on a top three pick making the NHL. Huberdeau is still in the Q and it doesn't change the fact he'll have likely just as great of a career as Hopkins and Landeskog.

April 2012 Future Considerations.

http://futureconside...a/top-rankings/

This actually works great if standings stay the same and Columbus won the lottery for the top three.

I think the Isles will take a blueliner meaning Grig and Forsberg are available for Toronto, leading to constant comparisons for the next 20 years.

That's a bit strange that someone can be too young for the AHL but not the NHL. I didn't know about that rule.

A player who plays 1 second of junior hockey in Canada is ineligible to play in the AHL until he graduates from junior (turns 19 or 20 or whatever the threshold is.) Players can leave NCAA or Europe to play at 18 or 19 in the AHL though (Pacioretty did, Avtsin, I think A Kostitsyn too?). This prohibits NHL teams from taking players out of Canadian junior hockey and diluting the league.

This is my whole issue with Kaberle. For a guy with his price tag. He NEEDS to be a guy you can put on the ice when you NEED to either prevent a goal or score a goal. he isn't that guy. He'll get his cheap points in a 5-2 win or a 5-3 loss, but he isn't a difference maker. For $4.3M you need a guy who can be a difference maker.

And who exactly would that be?

Which 45+point, experianced puck-moving, cup winning d-man for $4.3m is available to help tutor Diaz, Subban, Ellis and Beaulieu for next couple years?

If you can come up with 1, i would be darn surprised and even if you can, what is the chance he can be signed by Habs by next fall?

Suter, Chara and S. Weber are about same point producers and also add alot more defense, but just a tad more pricey and will never sign with Habs by next fall will they?

The Wiz? no, 30% more costly and terrible signing for Columbus.

Pietrangelo, Byfuglian, Campbell, again not a chance of signing.

Anyways, i am curious whom would you have replace Kaberle's offense, at under $4.5/year (which is the Habs weakest team aspect for several years, not defense)?

If Cory Schneider plays a bit in playoffs and does fine (as he will), would he be an equal value for Columbus to trade their #1 pick for?

Which is basically Yakupov for Schneider? Seems to be a fair deal for both.