2012 NHL Entry Draft talk

Commandant

If Cory Schneider plays a bit in playoffs and does fine (as he will), would he be an equal value for Columbus to trade their #1 pick for?

Which is basically Yakupov for Schneider? Seems to be a fair deal for both.

What?? Yakupov has to be worth more then Schneider :/

What?? Yakupov has to be worth more then Schneider :/

I just see it as a perfect trade for both and thought it might be even?

I just dont know what a Yakupov is worth, he is not a Stamkos, nor Bure and hasnt tore up OHL that much to say he will ever be a 50 goal guy in NHL, maybe but unknown?

I would say Schneider is almost a top 10 goalie in league (a bit unproven, but darn good), Columbus needs a goalie terribly and must be scared to draft another russian.

And Yakupov is only a prospect.

If Cory Schneider plays a bit in playoffs and does fine (as he will), would he be an equal value for Columbus to trade their #1 pick for?

Which is basically Yakupov for Schneider? Seems to be a fair deal for both.

I think the #1 overall would be worth more than that. A lot more.

Ducks4-4 end of second

Minny got a point in shoot out loss

If Habs lose tomorrow in regulation the would not be able to finish above 28th guaranteeing a top 4 pick

I just see it as a perfect trade for both and thought it might be even?

I just dont know what a Yakupov is worth, he is not a Stamkos, nor Bure and hasnt tore up OHL that much to say he will ever be a 50 goal guy in NHL, maybe but unknown?

I would say Schneider is almost a top 10 goalie in league (a bit unproven, but darn good), Columbus needs a goalie terribly and must be scared to draft another russian.

And Yakupov is only a prospect.

I agree with you don Scheider is a very good goalie not sure were i would place him on a goalie list but he is a 1 one goalie in the making or is now. Columbus does need a goalie so it is very well though out. Ask the canuck fans what they think of him this is his second year of playing well and i bet he will see some playoff time this year.

Schneider is a very good goalie, but he's not worth 1st overall. That has Kessel deal written all over it.

Now, I can see Tampa Bay trading 9th Overall for Schneider easily. But people need to understand that if Yakupov had been healthy for the past two seasons, he would have been absolutely dominant in the OHL. Nail is going to be one of the 10 best forwards in the NHL once he hits his prime.

Now, I can see Tampa Bay trading 9th Overall for Schneider easily.  But people need to understand that if Yakupov had been healthy for the past two seasons, he would have been absolutely dominant in the OHL.  Nail is going to be one of the 10 best forwards in the NHL once he hits his prime.

I agree. 9th I can see. 1st I can't. Now what would it cost Tampa to move up from 9th to 1st. Thats what you are gonna have to add to Schneider to make the value even. We're talking Tampa adding Brett Connolly, Their 2013 1st, Detroits 2012 1st, and Tampa's 2012 2nd, to move up those 8 spots. It would cost a lot.

I agree. 9th I can see. 1st I can't. Now what would it cost Tampa to move up from 9th to 1st. Thats what you are gonna have to add to Schneider to make the value even. We're talking Tampa adding Brett Connolly, Their 2013 1st, Detroits 2012 1st, and Tampa's 2012 2nd, to move up those 8 spots. It would cost a lot.

I think Gillis would laugh at a 9th pick and he would rather trade Luongo because Schneider is a better goalie and after Luongo getting booed off the ice again last night and Schneider getting a big cheer when he came in and then shut the door and won, again, Luongo may not even be #1 come playoffs?

But, i really was just wondering what a Yakupov/#1 pick is valued by most as.

I would say Schneider is due to be the USA goalie of future (14 olympics?), in the same vain as Price may be for Canada and both are likely very even in many ways.

But is a top goalie to build a franchise around, not worth a possible 90-100point forward?

I just thought would be a toss up is all?

• Upvote 1

We were VERY lucky when we won the lottery for 5th overall back in 2005... hope the luck stays and we get 1st overall now :D

Find out next Tuesday when lottery is done, i wouldnt bet against Columbus though, but Oilers will likely end up 29th, so Hab odds wont be great; however Newe Jersey had dick-all odds and won last year, so not hopeless.

Find out next Tuesday when lottery is done, i wouldnt bet against Columbus though, but Oilers will likely end up 29th, so Hab odds wont be great; however Newe Jersey had dick-all odds and won last year, so not hopeless.

I kind don't want to bet against Columbus I mean... they need the help!

I think Gillis would laugh at a 9th pick and he would rather trade Luongo because Schneider is a better goalie and after Luongo getting booed off the ice again last night and Schneider getting a big cheer when he came in and then shut the door and won, again, Luongo may not even be #1 come playoffs?

But, i really was just wondering what a Yakupov/#1 pick is valued by most as.

I would say Schneider is due to be the USA goalie of future (14 olympics?), in the same vain as Price may be for Canada and both are likely very even in many ways.

But is a top goalie to build a franchise around, not worth a possible 90-100point forward?

Like you said you build from the net out. Would you guy's trade price for Yakupov? I wouldn't we know what we have in price is yakupov the next daigle?

But, i really  was just wondering what a Yakupov/#1 pick is valued by most as.

I don't think Schneider is the top US goalie for 2014. With Ryan Miller and Jonathan Quick still young, I think he's fighting for a number 3 spot.

As for trading Luongo. I bet Vancouver would be very happy too, however there are very few teams who can take on that contract unless they give up a contract equally as ugly. Thats why I've always thought the Luongo for Vinny trade works.

At this point Schneider may have played in the playoffs, but unless he wins Vancouver the cup this year he will be no more proven than Jaroslav Halak (got back a #13 pick + 3rd rounder) and Varlamov (1st round pick + 2nd round pick, but those picks are in the 10-14 range). He's unlikely to boost that to #1 overall status.

He could be a top goalie, but its a gamble, as much a gamble as Varlamov and Halak. He's at the same level they were when traded.

<p>

Like you said you build from the net out.  Would you guy's trade price for Yakupov?  I wouldn't we know what we have in price is yakupov the next daigle?

Price is far, far more proven than Schneider. Is Schneider the next Vesa Toskala or John Grahame, great backups who couldn't handle being number 1 goalies? Its as likely as your Yakupov could be Daigle comparison.

I don't think Schneider is the top US goalie for 2014. With Ryan Miller and Jonathan Quick still young, I think he's fighting for a number 3 spot.

As for trading Luongo. I bet Vancouver would be very happy too, however there are very few teams who can take on that contract unless they give up a contract equally as ugly. Thats why I've always thought the Luongo for Vinny trade works.

At this point Schneider may have played in the playoffs, but unless he wins Vancouver the cup this year he will be no more proven than Jaroslav Halak (got back a #13 pick + 3rd rounder) and Varlamov (1st round pick + 2nd round pick, but those picks are in the 10-14 range). He's unlikely to boost that to #1 overall status.

He could be a top goalie, but its a gamble, as much a gamble as Varlamov and Halak. He's at the same level they were when traded.

<p>

Price is far, far more proven than Schneider. Is Schneider the next Vesa Toskala or John Grahame, great backups who couldn't handle being number 1 goalies? Its as likely as your Yakupov could be Daigle comparison.

fair enough, will be interesting to see where Schneider ends up and what for by JUly 2nd, Leafs/Chicago/Philly/Caps would likely love to have him, or maybe even Luongo?

Can the Habs win the #2 battle with Oilers....highly unlikely eh?

<p>

All goalies start as as a backup and price has proven nothing yet as well. Price yes is a very good goalie but until we make the playoff year after year price could turn out to be nabokov we don't know yet. schneider is an nhl goalie and is pushing to be a number one. Prospects are just that till they can prove it in the nhl. That being said i am with you on drafting him first.

fair enough, will be interesting to see where Schneider ends up and what for by JUly 2nd, Leafs/Chicago/Philly/Caps would likely love to have him, or maybe even Luongo?

Habs just have to match the Oilers, who hold the tiebreak. They lost last game, we must lose tonight vs. Tampa. If Oilers win tomorrow and Habs go 0-2 these next two games (both regulation losses), the Habs clinch 29th.

All goalies start as as a backup and price has proven nothing yet as well. Price yes is a very good goalie but until we make the playoff year after year price could turn out to be nabokov we don't know yet. schneider is an nhl goalie and is pushing to be a number one. Prospects are just that till they can prove it in the nhl. That being said i am with you on drafting him first.

Price has had two great seasons. In fact Price's stats last year are better then Halak's stats in his last season in Montreal and Price's stats this year are better then Halak's last year.

This year is scewed because Price has no defense and Halak has Hitchcock, remember how bad Halak was to start the season? (Note that Halak isn't even St Louis starter cause Elliot has out played him all season).

Halak has yet to play 60 games. He isn't a proven starter.

Price played more games last year then Schneider has in his career... he is far from proven, good as the games he has played have been... its a huge gamble to trade a top pick, he is on a incredible team, who knows if those numbers would be different without guys like Bieksa and Kestler out there.

.934% and 2.11. Those are Price's playoff stats in last year's 7 games against Boston.

Halak's in his run were... .923% and 2.55 in 18 games.

He is proven. Kaboom your opinion is biased and not constructive.

• Upvote 1

<p>

Price has proven he can play 70 games and stand up to that task.  He also played a good round against the Bruins as well as a good round with 2 shutouts against them in 2008.  Yes, he may not have won the cup yet, but he's done far more in his career to date than Corey Schneider who is still a backup goalie.

With Price out its possible. I don't like that the Bolts are starting Caron tonight, but maybe he does what plenty of French backups do in the Bell Centre (ie play the game of his life). Lets hope Vinny and Marty are also looking good in front of family and friends and Stamkos wants 60

With Price out its possible. I don't like that the Bolts are starting Caron tonight, but maybe he does what plenty of French backups do in the Bell Centre (ie play the game of his life). Lets hope Vinny and Marty are also looking good in front of family and friends and Stamkos wants 60

I think thats a set up that will end up in a Tampa victory.

We can be 29th if we lose all our games... Edmonton holds the tie breaker.. .so... this is in our hands.

Yes i know, but the odds are not in favour.

But in worst case scenario; if Habs win all 3 and those close lose all, the Habs can only drop to 6th pick.

But likely will end up exactly where are now and 3rd looks pretty sweet.