2012 NHL Entry Draft talk

Commandant

WWhy do you think he left Ottawa? He was probably pissed the Sens GM didnt draft his choice, so he went to Montreal. Look who we picked 7th overall that year.. Yes, a US dman

Komisarek was drafted before Timmins was hired.

Timmins was hired by Montreal in May 2003.

Komisarek was drafted in 2001, nearly two full years before Timmins was hired.

As for why Timmins left Ottawa for Montreal... Andre Savard brought him, and paid him more money than Ottawa was willing to pay.

WWhy do you think he left Ottawa? He was probably pissed the Sens GM didnt draft his choice, so he went to Montreal. Look who we picked 7th overall that year.. Yes, a US dman

I know at this point you're just joking but the 2001 NHL Entry Draft was the best the Sens ever had. Spezza, Gleason, Emery, Schubert and Brooks Laich (who Ottawa stupidly traded for a 2nd round pick and Peter Bondra).

The US is producing some nice d-men (that Seth Jones kid will be interesting to see play next week in U18 game vs Canada), not near as many as the CHL of course, but Timmins being smart may see them as being undervalued and is not afraid to give them several years to develop in the NCAA, where some teams dont want to wait and dont scout the USHL as much?

Komisarik and McDonagh were both super picks, Fischer was not, but got a draft pick back for not signing him anyways.

Pateryn and Bennett could both turn out very well and the latest picks; Didier and Sullivan are again being given lots of time to develop.

OByrne and Nash were both good sigings out of Cornell also and just too bad OByrne was not one of Martin's favorites and Nash missed all of last year. But still OByrne got turned in Bournival, who is very promising bottom 6 player.

For me, i could care less where a pick comes from, with the 1 exception, being Russia.

Great points Don. For the most part these US picks are turning out, not just the D but good forwards like Max Pacioretty and hopefully Danny Kristo. The US is a hockey market and Americans are gonna get drafted. I think the numbers show we will take them, but not that they are favoured over Canadians, as we have plenty of those picks too.

Only correction I'd make is that while OByrne went to Cornell, he only enrolled there after being drafted. He was scouted in the BCHL, same league as where we got Mark MacMillan.

Great points Don. For the most part these US picks are turning out, not just the D but good forwards like Max Pacioretty and hopefully Danny Kristo. The US is a hockey market and Americans are gonna get drafted. I think the numbers show we will take them, but not that they are favoured over Canadians, as we have plenty of those picks too.

Only correction I'd make is that while OByrne went to Cornell, he only enrolled there after being drafted. He was scouted in the BCHL, same league as where we got Mark MacMillan.

Sure and for as much as many Hab fans have a dislike for OByrne (why, i am not quite sure??), he is exactly what all seem to be crying for the Habs to add this summer, a crease clearing big d-man who is not as slow footed as Gill and tougher.

Seems many are in favour of trying to trade the #3 pick and go either up or down? Which i disagree with.

Say the obvious choices left at #3 will be either Grigorenko or Galchenyuk, whom you could catagorize as A- prospects and Yakupov is A (not near a Crosby/Stamkos), i just dont see it worthwhile to go from 3 to 1 for the cost of an additional pick/prospect?

And trading down, after the Habs hit a home run last time with a #5 pick, just dosent seem to make much sense and i cant see Timmins/Molson group moving from #3.

• Upvote 1

That was my point looking back is easy maybe who we pick will be the better forward here's hoping. cheers

wow!! this is a rare event, I have gotten in th same mind frame as another poster on his board right away :D

Sure and for as much as many Hab fans have a dislike for OByrne (why, i am not quite sure??), he is exactly what all seem to be crying for the Habs to add this summer, a crease clearing big d-man who is not as slow footed as Gill and tougher.

O'Byrne was a terrible defenceman who never really learned from his mistakes. Hab fans took a real liking to him due to his size but that was all he had. He made countless defensive errors, always had to be bailed out by his defenders and when it was time to get physical he wasn't even that good of a fighter. He wasn't a good blueliner but people overrated his effectiveness out of the sheer dream of Montreal having a Chara sized guy.

Since going to Colorado he still makes countless errors. One might look at the fact he's fourth in minutes for the Avs but the Avalanche have a pretty crap D core. None of my Av fan friends who originally loved the trade want to re-sign him after next season or at least for anything more than he makes right now. He's Jassen Cullimore all over again, which for O'Byrne at least means a long NHL career.

O'Byrne was a terrible defenceman who never really learned from his mistakes. Hab fans took a real liking to him due to his size but that was all he had. He made countless defensive errors, always had to be bailed out by his defenders and when it was time to get physical he wasn't even that good of a fighter. He wasn't a good blueliner but people overrated his effectiveness out of the sheer dream of Montreal having a Chara sized guy.

Since going to Colorado he still makes countless errors. One might look at the fact he's fourth in minutes for the Avs but the Avalanche have a pretty crap D core. None of my Av fan friends who originally loved the trade want to re-sign him after next season or at least for anything more than he makes right now. He's Jassen Cullimore all over again, which for O'Byrne at least means a long NHL career.

I saw the same games you must of and you seem typical of most Hab fans, who think he is no good, but i liked his play and he just never got a regular shift as he does now in Colorado. Martin had his favorites and young players were not among them. Which is why Martin begged for Campoli, Sopel, Mara to be signed.

i was very disappointed to see OByrne traded from Habs, but he wasnt getting a fair shake by Pearn and Martin (who i was very very happy to see both fired, just might of picked a better time maybe).

i know OByrne isnt a big fighter, who cares, he still is very strong in front of net and along boards and i had no illusions of him being a Chara.

Also, Colorado, was 11th in goals against this year.

But hey, i really like the Kaberle and Bourque signings, which most see as terrible also.

I saw the same games you must of and you seem typical of most Hab fans, who think he is no good, but i liked his play and he just never got a regular shift as he does now in Colorado. Martin had his favorites and young players were not among them. Which is why Martin begged for Campoli, Sopel, Mara to be signed.

i was very disappointed to see OByrne traded from Habs, but he wasnt getting a fair shake by Pearn and Martin (who i was very very happy to see both fired, just might of picked a better time maybe).

i know OByrne isnt a big fighter, who cares, he still is very strong in front of net and along boards and i had no illusions of him being a Chara.

But hey, i really like the Kaberle and Bourque signings, which most see as terrible also.

Don i agree with you. when he made a mistake he was nailed to bench and not allowed learn from his mistakes and had to play in fear of being benched. He skates well hits and has size which we need at this time. Maybe he would have been no good but who knows Ron hainsey was treated the same and he would be in our six now. This being said was he the second coming of pk now could he play 10 to 15 mins a night for us i say yes. Kaberle with the right partner can really help us. Bourque we hope will turn into the 20 to 30 goal man again.
  • Upvote 1

Colorado was 11th in goals against... and O'Byrne was still a -5. So... he can't be that great defensively... and considering his offensive contribution (7 points) he would need to be great.

I liked the Kaberle and Bourque deals as well (to a degree) :D!

Don i agree with you. when he made a mistake he was nailed to bench and not allowed learn from his mistakes and had to play in fear of being benched. He skates well hits and has size which we need at this time. Maybe he would have been no good but who knows Ron hainsey was treated the same and he would be in our six now. This being said was he the second coming of pk now could he play 10 to 15 mins a night for us i say yes. Kaberle with the right partner can really help us. Bourque we hope will turn into the 20 to 30 goal man again.

He would be more useful then campoli weber diaz to this team considering we have markov pk emelin gorges and kaberle. Not saying he is a better d man then them just bigger and hits which is what we need

He would be more useful then campoli weber diaz to this team considering we have markov pk emelin gorges and kaberle. Not saying he is a better d man then them just bigger and hits which is what we need

People aren't giving Diaz credit, he had a very solid year. Not to mention it was his first in North America. Campoli will be gone and Weber will likely go as well. Keep Diaz he has earned another crack at the line up.

People aren't giving Diaz credit, he had a very solid year. Not to mention it was his first in North America. Campoli will be gone and Weber will likely go as well. Keep Diaz he has earned another crack at the line up.

Diaz is a good d but when our line up is soft and small on the back end he doesn't fix our problem. If we needed a puck mover he would be just fine but with markov pk kaberle and him being under 6 ft and not a great hitter that is what i was getting at.

Diaz is a good d but when our line up is soft and small on the back end he doesn't fix our problem. If we needed a puck mover he would be just fine but with markov pk kaberle and him being under 6 ft and not a great hitter that is what i was getting at.

I completely agree, I'm hoping for a line up like...

Georges-PK

Markov-Emelin

Diaz-UFA (bigger guy)

Weber

or something of that nature, Kaberle has been fine and I wasn't against the trade, but he doesn't fit and I'd rather keep Diaz.

Kaberle - O'Byrne would have them at a -3 in their third shift together.

Kaberle - O'Byrne would have them at a -3 in their third shift together.

I would but him with gorges or pk both are good defenders and we should split them up for the most part. but this is a draft thread so i will leave it at that.

Diaz is not physical, but he is very intelligent with the puck. I sure believe that he is a bonafide NHLer and deserves to remain with the team. The only way out for him is in a trade that would enable management to bring a top line forward or prospect in Montreal.

This is an interesting thread, but really - how can we make a mistake with the 3rd overall pick? I mean, there's always the possibility the kid will flame out, but in terms of prospects there is no WAY that we are not going to get an absolute blue-chip stud. It's a bit like asking whether you want your dad to buy you a Porsche or a Mercedes.

This is an interesting thread, but really - how can we make a mistake with the 3rd overall pick? I mean, there's always the possibility the kid will flame out, but in terms of prospects there is no WAY that we are not going to get an absolute blue-chip stud. It's a bit like asking whether you want your dad to buy you a Porsche or a Mercedes.

You really don't know. We could make the right choice (Grig, Galy) and they could be a Wickenheiser injury mess. Or we could pick someone like Dumba, Forsberg or Murray and they just don't pan out. You really don't know. The only sure thing in this draft is Yakupov and even then he could have a shortened career due to injuries.

The only other player I think will be a sure thing is Brendan Gaunce and we'd have to pick up a mid range first round pick for him (and by no means am I suggesting to trade down). I think he'll develop into a solid second line/third line center who can do everything on the ice. I was following him quite a bit before we started to tank.

The only "absolute blue-chip stud" is Yakupov..The rest are great prospects, but other than Nail, its a crap shoot from 2-9 or 10..the rest of the field in the top ten may or may not be the best pick where you pick them...

Edited by Blonde Demon

You really don't know. We could make the right choice (Grig, Galy) and they could be a Wickenheiser injury mess. Or we could pick someone like Dumba, Forsberg or Murray and they just don't pan out. You really don't know. The only sure thing in this draft is Yakupov and even then he could have a shortened career due to injuries.

The only other player I think will be a sure thing is Brendan Gaunce and we'd have to pick up a mid range first round pick for him (and by no means am I suggesting to trade down). I think he'll develop into a solid second line/third line center who can do everything on the ice. I was following him quite a bit before we started to tank.

Ideally I want them to pick Grig or Galy but I wouldn't be upset if they drafted someone like Forsberg, Murray, Dumba. As long as they don't do something completely off the board I will be fine with the pick and hope the player doesn't get hurt and doesn't become a complete bust.

At the end of the day I trust Timmins judgment here, but the truth is there is not much (right now) to differentiate between 2-7 in my prospect ranks.

After that there is some fall off.

Still the great thing about this is that we have 4 picks in the top 64, and 5 in the top 94 of this draft right now. So its more than just the big guys we are talking about.

I think that guys like Tim Bozon, Henrik Samuelsson, Boo Nieves, Dalton Thrower, and a few others are also interesting prospects we should look at with our 2nd rounders.