2012 NHL Entry Draft talk

Commandant

I think a lot of people are simply thinking "not russian" and "not a defencemen" in this draft... that is why they are thinking Filip (Even though Gally isn't russian)

Galchenyuk isn't Russian.

Anyways next up is #30 Martin Frk

http://lastwordonspo...-30-martin-frk/

I know Galchenyuk isnt Russian, The father is from BELURUS, he was born in USA, playing for USA.... JUst saying, I am tired of this " Russian " talk and people not understanding their facts. I was referencing in General, " this garbage talk" of Russians...in general and not specific to one player.

BUT YES I am very aware of his USA born and raised in JUNIOR hockey. Playing in Chicago when he was 15 and their minor system, and in 2010 he was the first overall pick in the OHL.

I think a lot of people are simply thinking "not russian" and "not a defencemen" in this draft... that is why they are thinking Filip (Even though Gally isn't russian)

That and he doesn't have the injury resume that Yakupov and Galy have.

I don't want Forsberg. I keep hearing this, "He's a center and winger" but I haven't heard of a single game he played as a centre, let alone well at centre.

That and he doesn't have the injury resume that Yakupov and Galy have.

I don't want Forsberg.  I keep hearing this, "He's a center and winger" but I haven't heard of a single game he played as a centre, let alone well at centre.

Swedish posters on HF who say they have followed his career said he hasn't played centre with any regularity in 2 years.  I've never seen him at Centre for Team Sweden but I haven't seen his club team, so they are all I have to go on.

This is about Grigorenko, from Corey Pronman at Hockey Prospectus

Grigorenko is a very special kind of talent who scouts have been hearing about for many years. He absolutely burst onto the scene last year with a tremendous performance at the Under-18s. He's an exceptionally gifted player who can control the flow of a hockey game seemingly at will with elite puck skills, vision, offensive creativity, and overall hockey sense. He makes high level dekes seem effortless and is the kind of player who is able to slow the game down to his pace rather than try to keep up with it. His ability as a playmaker is really special as he is the classic "eyes in the back of his head" type of player who consistently makes high-level reads quickly and effectively. Grigorenko's hand skills allow him to keep the puck away from pursuers very well and when he's setting up in open ice, the chances of a defender being able to cleanly check him is low. When you combine his puck skills and sense, though, you get the combination of tools that allow him to make "unique" plays, that after they happen, you try to remember about the last time you saw a play similar to that. He is an above-average skater who industry sources have described with the kind of stride that looks like he's floating on the ice as he effortlessly picks up speed— especially for a bigger player. Grigorenko also has a pretty decent array of shots and is certainly an above-average finisher. He is an advanced two-way thinker who gets the job done at a decent level in his own end, and while he struggled with that aspect of his game earlier in the year, he was much better later on. He has above-average size, and while he doesn't really use his frame as much as he could, he's decent in the physical aspects of hockey as he boxes out fine along the wall and will win some battles. His work ethic draws issues at times but he's not an extremely lazy player, though he's not one who gives it 100% every shift. He's also the kind of player who likes to slow the game down, so some observers perceive that as questionable work ethic. However, he's the kind of talent who NHL sources have described as the best guy on the ice while he's going at 75%.

http://www.puckprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=1307

This is about another top 3 pick in the last decade. Can you guess who?

Dominant power centre was easily the best player at last month’s World Under-18 Championships, where he showed that he has elevated his game to near-Ovechkin level. Has the tools for stardom: size, strength, skating ability, vision, soft hands, moves, toughness, and a great feel for the game. Gains the zone easily and backs defensers off the blue line. If you let him get up a head of steam through the neutral zone, it’s all over. Huge horse has the strength to hold off checkers and still get hard wrister away while being dragged to the ice. Excellent puck control with great dekes and drag move. Terrifically quick hands and release, and great patience around net. Strong on the puck and on faceoffs. Uses big body to gain and hold position in front - tough to move. Has begun to show a nasty streak – will be very scary if he starts to play mean. Still two months away from his 18th birthday, and shows more variety every time we see him, so the upside is huge. Bonus is he plays hard and responsibly at defensive end as well.

I've been leaning more and more toward Grigorenko over Galchenyuk. To be a star, you gotta have the talent. Grigorenko seems to have loads of it.

Pronman ranked Landeskog 13 last year, and has quite a few strange ranks. Theres' a reason for this. Pronman totally discounted all of Landeskog's intangibles, his clutch play, his heart, his leadership, and his amazing work ethic and desire to improve. As we learned Colorado got it right, this kid is a STUD. I strongly disagreed with his rank of Landeskog last year, among others.

Here is what you need to remember about Pronman, and hockeyprospectus.  They are stats geeks, they believe in the "moneyball" concept of hockey;s advanced statistics and believe that if all leagues kept stats like the NHL does on Corsi, and those type of things, you'd be able to draft based on those.  Other leagues don't keep those stats, so Pronman watches the prospects with them in mind and how well the player would do in those categories.

He also doesn't believe in intangibles.  He doesn't believe in a player's character affecting his ranking of him.  He uses only what happens on the ice and not whether the player is a leader, or whether he gives his effort every game.  He assumes that character, heart, grit, and clutch play are made up concepts because they don't show up in the advanced stats.

So the fact that Pronman ranks Galchenyuk third, and onlyh 1 spot behind Grigorenko should tell you two things.

1) He believes Galchenyuk's skill level is less than Grigorenko, but not a significant amount.  He has Galchenyuk as the third most talented player in the draft.

2) Despite the fact that he ignores Galchenyuk's best attributes, and the areas where he blows Grigorenko out of the water.... heart, desire, work ethic, and character, he's only 1 spot back.

Factor in Gally's dedication and I think you've got the better player down the road.  The player most likely to see a dramatic improvement in his game because he's always willing to work to get better.  We've seen what this kind of work ethic has meant for two of our current players... PK Subban and Tomas Plekanec, who were lower draft picks and have really taken their game to levels no one expected when they were drafted.   We've also seen what happens when you have a ton of talent but lack that, see Andrei Kostitsyn.  So to me, I take Galchenyuk for sure.

Colton Sissons, a rugged forward and the captain of the Kelowna Rockets.

http://lastwordonspo...colton-sissons/

Dont see him being a better choice than Sutter, but you guys must think he has more offense upside or something, casue in other aspects Sissons does not play near as "rugged" a game.

But other rankings have him as a late 1st rounder as well.

He should be a OK -good checker and grinder, but i see Sutter getting more offense screening and tipping shots in front of net and being a pain in the ass for d-men.

I think all of this 'Forsberg as a center' talk originates from Button. Somehow he got it in his head that Forsberg is a center and continues to say that, despite the fact I can't find any other source that classifies him as anything other than a winger.

I think all of this 'Forsberg as a center' talk originates from Button. Somehow he got it in his head that Forsberg is a center and continues to say that, despite the fact I can't find any other source that classifies him as anything other than a winger.

Button thinks its Peter Forsberg.

? Button has had him as a left-winger in every one of his monthly rankings since last fall? not sure what you are referring to?

And dosent matter if he is a winger/centre for draft, Timmins will go BPA, no matter what position.

? Button has had him as a left-winger in every one of his monthly rankings since last fall? not sure what you are referring to?

And dosent matter if he is a winger/centre for draft, Timmins will go BPA, no matter what position.

And I don't think that will be forsberg.

And I don't think that will be forsberg.

Has to be a short list of 4 or 5 players at most.

I Hope it is Galchenyuk, but i could maybe see Columbus grabbing him, so Grigorenko is likely favourite, find out in 6 weeks or so.

Am I crazy to think this could be a solution? Would the Panthers go for it?

Trade our 3rd overall pick for another 3rd overall pick in Florida's Jonathan Huberdeau? Maybe include a prospect or pick if need so.

I wonder how we could compare him with Grigorenko or Galchenyuk. I like what I've seen in him.

Has to be a short list of 4 or 5 players at most.

I Hope it is Galchenyuk, but i could maybe see Columbus grabbing him, so Grigorenko is likely favourite, find out in 6 weeks or so.

Yeah Edmonton winning made this all bizarre. So Yak will more likely then not go first, I wouldn't see Columbus going after Murray... so Gally may go to Columbus. :/

Trade our 3rd overall pick for another 3rd overall pick in Florida's Jonathan Huberdeau? Maybe include a prospect or pick if need so.

I wonder how we could compare him with Grigorenko or Galchenyuk. I like what I've seen in him.

If Gally is gone I would go after this... It would be interesting for sure. He is a habs fan, so I'd love it haha!

If Edmonton and Columbus skip on Yakupov, Montreal will draft him no questions asked.

obviously, but I never would think that would happen. If Edmonton takes Murray... then Columbus will draft Yakupov or will trade it to someone who will and then pick the guy they want.

• Upvote 1

That idea was brought forward by RDS analysts last month. Interesting for sure. They were saying Florida probably wouldn't be interested.

That idea was brought forward by RDS analysts last month. Interesting for sure. They were saying Florida probably wouldn't be interested.

i agree, I mean they drafted him to be a key component of their franchise going forward, we would need to over pay. (If gally isnt available i would actually be interested in overpaying)

i agree, I mean they drafted him to be a key component of their franchise going forward, we would need to over pay. (If gally isnt available i would actually be interested in overpaying)

Not a chance Florida would trade him and he is not worth trading the #3 pick for neither. Grigorenko/Galchenyuk/Forsberg probably will be better NHLers.

He plays on a stacked junior team, even Sergai Kostitsyn racked up huge points in junior thanks to great teammates.

But i might trade the #3 pick for Couturier, whom Philly will never trade neither.