2012 NHL Entry Draft talk

Commandant

The more I read on Subban the more I believe the Habs will not take him.

He is only 6 foot 1 and they talk a lot about his speed and recovery saves not what the Habs have been looking for since getting price 6 foot 3 plus and positionaly strog goalies.

As much as getting a high draft pick is a nice consolation to a terrible season, it still doesn't guarantee that the player picked will have an impact with this team. And even if he does, more than likely it won't be for a couple years.

As much as getting a high draft pick is a nice consolation to a terrible season, it still doesn't guarantee that the player picked will have an impact with this team. And even if he does, more than likely it won't be for a couple years.

The top few picks, guys like Nugent-Hopkins, Taylor Hall, Seguin, Tavares, Duchene, Larsson, Hedman etc... have all had some impact as rookies. They might be 2nd or 3rd liners to start their careers... but they are making the NHL early.

I don't expect 70 pts from Grigorenko next year, but i could easily see him getting 40 pts as a rookie, and that has some impact and will help as he moves his way up the lineup.

Galenchyuk on the other hand might need another year of Junior just because he will have missed most of this season. But that can better be assessedin camp.

Regardless though, its not about getting these guys for next year... its about the type of career they can project to have. You just can not acquire those big impact #1 franchise guys in todays NHL. We've been trying for 20 years since Bobby Smith. They aren't traded often, and they don't seem to be hitting UFA. So its time we took some advantage of a season that in all other ways is incredibly painful to watch.

Sure there are no guarantees they won't bust. But I trust the scouting staff led by Timmins, and I feel better the higher we draft. The higher we can get, the more chance it will be a good player.

I'd be inquiring to Winnipeg about Kane as one to target via trade...he might be falling out of favour there too. He's young, got loads of upside and plays with grit. Wouldn't be cheap but getting a kid like him, and trying to get a top 3 pick this year, should be a couple of our goals.

The Oilers are better than their record suggests as they only have 5OTLs compared to the teams around them. I think they'll show that in this last stretch. I don't see a Top five pick this June for the Oilers. They'll happily select a blueliner between 6th and 10th.

Columbus is bad and nothing is going to change that. If one team is going to be guaranteed a Russian, it's Columbus.

Anaheim and Carolina have been pretty good as of late. Eric Staal is awake and it shows. Anaheim is winning games without Perry/Getzlaf/Ryan playing well. I wouldn't take that as a hint to anything. If they get going, Anaheim might not be bottom five.

That leaves room for the Canadiens to slide into the bottom three. I see the season finishing 30. Columbus 29. Montreal 28. Buffalo 27. Carolina 26. Anaheim by the end of it. Especially once the trade deadline passes and a lot of the UFAs get unloaded. If that's the case, the only thing we'd have to fear is the lottery bumping Montreal out.

http://dansallows.com/player-profile-mikhail-grigorenko/

Having a realistic chance of grabbing this kid has me excited..PG better not trade our pick..

Grigorenko is being compared to Joe Thornton, but I think he has more upside and I compare him to more of a Malkin because of his goal scoring ability..

I was thinking earlier that we would be picking closer to the 6th-12th position, but now, after seeing what this team has on the ice over the last 2 games, a top 3 pick is very realistic..

STINKO FOR GRIGORENKO!!!

The Oilers are better than their record suggests as they only have 5OTLs compared to the teams around them. I think they'll show that in this last stretch. I don't see a Top five pick this June for the Oilers. They'll happily select a blueliner between 6th and 10th.

Columbus is bad and nothing is going to change that. If one team is going to be guaranteed a Russian, it's Columbus.

Anaheim and Carolina have been pretty good as of late. Eric Staal is awake and it shows. Anaheim is winning games without Perry/Getzlaf/Ryan playing well. I wouldn't take that as a hint to anything. If they get going, Anaheim might not be bottom five.

That leaves room for the Canadiens to slide into the bottom three. I see the season finishing 30. Columbus 29. Montreal 28. Buffalo 27. Carolina 26. Anaheim by the end of it. Especially once the trade deadline passes and a lot of the UFAs get unloaded. If that's the case, the only thing we'd have to fear is the lottery bumping Montreal out.

I agree, Columbus isnt catching us, but 29th is not out of the question.

If we weaken the PK units at the deadline, and i think we will with Gill and Moen out.... we can really do this.

I agree, Columbus isnt catching us, but 29th is not out of the question.

If we weaken the PK units at the deadline, and i think we will with Gill and Moen out.... we can really do this.

Columbus will likely be unloading Pahlsson and Prospal. They'll get a good return for Prospal I bet. Plus those rumours about Carter. Nothing to do about the Jackets.

The Oilers *might* unload Ryan Smyth and will likely unload Ales Hemsky. Andy Sutton is another guy they'll likely let go of. Won't make them much worse doing it.

The majority of the Ducks forwards are UFA this summer so who knows who they trade and what they get back.

Ruutu, Allen and maybe Spacek could be sent packing for the Hurricanes. Won't change them much.

Buffalo has Boyes, Gaustad and possibly Roy to trade. Who knows if they can even find a buyer for Boyes, his knee is shot.

This leaves Montreal open to trade Gill, Kostitsyn, Moen, Campoli and possibly Darche, Weber and Budaj if there are takers. I'd say the impact ends up being the same all around.

it really saddens me to say this...... but i hope we shit the bed for the next 3 months

I feel the same way. But there is absolutely nothing positive to be gained from wins.

Except against the Leafs and Bruins.

• Upvote 1

Really hoping to finish bottom 2 but as long as we can finish bottom 5 which is more realistic then we have a shot at Lottery and maybe after a season with a lot of losing we'll win the important one.

I think what it is going to come down to is what moves Anaheim, Carolina, Buffalo, and ourselves make at the deadline. I see both the Islanders and the Oilers playing a bit better down the stretch since it seems their young guys are really hitting their strides.

Luckily we are so far out of it right now that PG will just focus on dealing off players rather then trying to pick up a top line foward.

Excuse my ignorance folks, but what happens if next season is lost due to lockout/strike? Do we get 2 drafts in the same order as this year? Eg if we got 1st pick would we get it 2 drafts in a row?

(null)

I don't think I've ever paid so much attention or put as much hope in a team OTHER then the habs winning! Feels almost dirty!

I don't think I've paid so much attention to the standings this early in my whole life.

Grigorenko here we come!

Last time this happened, the Crosby year when we picked Price, there was a lottery for I think only the first round. I think it was still weighted depending on where you finished 2 years earlier, but everyone still had a chance at #1.

It really sucked that the pens were able to get Malkin with the #2 pick the year earlier and then got Crosby the following year.

Excuse my ignorance folks, but what happens if next season is lost due to lockout/strike? Do we get 2 drafts in the same order as this year? Eg if we got 1st pick would we get it 2 drafts in a row?

(null)

A top 5 pick is ONLY good if we pick a top 5 prospect.............and not go "off the board" or target a player who's a concensus "lower pick" (going by all the scouting reports etc...) I don't mind if we had the #1-3 pick and picked within the top 3 on scouting lists..........I have a problem if we have one of the top 3 picks and pick the # 10 prospect.....

Vote YOUPPI

(null)

Firstly I highly doubt we lose next season due to a lockout. I dont think we are in close to the same situation we were in, in 2004.

Now there is nothing forcing them to do this again, but they already came up with a plan once... the league-wide lottery with rules based on how many playoff appearances teams had, and how many first overall picks, etc... that they used for Sidney Crosby's draft in 2005. For the only time ever, the league used a "snake format" for the draft.... ie if you picked last in the first round, you picked first in the 2nd round.

Here is the article.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/story/2005/07/14/crosby_draft050713.html

A top 5 pick is ONLY good if we pick a top 5 prospect.............and not go "off the board" or target a player who's a concensus "lower pick" (going by all the scouting reports etc...) I don't mind if we had the #1-3 pick and picked within the top 3 on scouting lists..........I have a problem if we have one of the top 3 picks and pick the # 10 prospect.....

Vote YOUPPI

Like we did with Price?

Since Timmins has been in charge here the only big screwup is Fisher, and every team has a screwup. I have a lot of faith in how he judges these guys.

I think they will definitely be picking in the top 4. No doubt in my mind, they have clearly given up.

They need to move Kaberle if possible, Moen, AK46, Pleks (yes i said it) The habs need talent period. Moving pleks will get you another first and a prospect. . Maybe for Carter straight up, hope Carter pulls his headmout when playing in a hockey market. To me it's worth it.

Also Gill, Campoli, Weber.

They will have to buy out Gomez as part of the new CBA

They have to pick Grigerenko, Galchunyk or Yakapov. I would go for the center.

I think Edmonton or Columbus go with a dman, they both have young forwards.

If i got one of those 2 centers i give him a shot.