2012 NHL Entry Draft talk

Commandant

We tanked in the wrong year. Nathan Mckinnen is getting a whole lot of attention already.

He has been getting a lot of attention for years.

But some years just friggin suck

Oh absolutely.

However, that's why Montreal has Timmins.

2006 was a pretty weak draft year. While it wouldn't have been for Montreal if they selected Giroux instead of Fischer, they finished the draft with Ryan White, Mattieu Carle and Pavel Valentenko who have all played in the NHL (Well, Tank has played pre-season and will play in the NHL soon enough unless he goes back to the KHL). They still made something out of it despite a big bust in the first round.

It feels like every year, Timmins finds at least one NHLer. Most teams in the NHL wish they could say that.

Oh absolutely.

However, that's why Montreal has Timmins.

2006 was a pretty weak draft year. While it wouldn't have been for Montreal if they selected Giroux instead of Fischer, they finished the draft with Ryan White, Mattieu Carle and Pavel Valentenko who have all played in the NHL (Well, Tank has played pre-season and will play in the NHL soon enough unless he goes back to the KHL). They still made something out of it despite a big bust in the first round.

It feels like every year, Timmins finds at least one NHLer. Most teams in the NHL wish they could say that.

As much as this will cause a groan from some, Ben Maxwell was also taken that draft and has some NHL experience.

First rounders 2005-2009 out of Sweden who look like shit.

How do you feel about Magnus Paajarvi-Svensson (#10 overall pick)... 2 goals in 41 games for the Oilers this year... only 5 goals in 28 AHL games?

What about David Rundblad who got sent back to the AHL?

Where is 2008 NHL 1st rounder Anton Gustaffson?

Was Mattias Tedenby worth a 2008 first round pick?

Mikael Backlund sucks in Calgary.

Dennis Persson 2006 first round pick for Buffalo

Nicklas Bergfors

Sweden has its share of disappointing guys and busts too. You can't base a scouting decision on where a kid was born.

The whole 2008 draft was crap. After Tedenby's spot, I think only Carlson, Ennis, Stepan and Hamonic have already a huge impact on their team (Scandella, Adam, Cormier).

I think that you can definitely base your decision on where players were born and raised. If he had the chance to have a great coach in juniors, the whole situation of junior/development hockey in any given country should also be considered. I might be wrong, but I never heard any "bad" story about a Swede. No taxi driver beating, no bar fight, no frozen foot, no alcohol problem, etc. They all seem like good men at least.

All I know is that we better draft Grigorenko, Galchenyuk or Forsberg because we will need a centreman come September. And you know goes UFA on Jul 1 - Olli Jokinen. I will officially revoke my Habs fan status if we go down that path. Just sayin'.

All I know is that we better draft Grigorenko, Galchenyuk or Forsberg because we will need a centreman come September. And you know goes UFA on Jul 1 - Olli Jokinen. I will officially revoke my Habs fan status if we go down that path. Just sayin'.

Really? You hate Olli Jokinen that much? He's a pretty damn good player.

All I know is that we better draft Grigorenko, Galchenyuk or Forsberg because we will need a centreman come September.  And you know goes UFA on Jul 1 - Olli Jokinen. I will officially revoke my Habs fan status if we go down that path. Just sayin'.

Forsberg is not a center

Jokinen is good, but not a substantial upgrade over Desharnais. Even if we draft one of the centers and even if he manages to start in the NHL next season, he would probably be centering the 3rd line to start off.

I have the same problem with Jokinen as Kaberle. A life long loser. He's played in the playoffs what - once?? twice? I really don't care about guys who put up good stats with lousy teams. If we are going to address our losing culture, you need to steer clear of losers and guys that are content with signing and playing for losing teams.

I have the same problem with Jokinen as Kaberle. A life long loser. He's played in the playoffs what - once?? twice? I really don't care about guys who put up good stats with lousy teams. If we are going to address our losing culture, you need to steer clear of losers and guys that are content with signing and playing for losing teams.

Jokinen has 6 career NHL playoff games, Kaberle has 102. I know the point you're trying to make but I wouldn't use playoff games as evidence for that argument.

I never understood the "Kaberle is a life long loser" when he played for some pretty successful Leaf teams early in his career and then just played with the Leafs post-lockout, before finally getting traded to Boston who... won a cup.

Sounds more like an anti-Leaf sentiment.

I never understood the "Kaberle is a life long loser" when he played for some pretty successful Leaf teams early in his career and then just played with the Leafs post-lockout, before finally getting traded to Boston who... won a cup.

Sounds more like an anti-Leaf sentiment.

But remember somehow Boston won in spite of him even though he had the most PP points on the team and the most points by a defenceman on the team.

• Upvote 1

US named their roster for the U18 and left Galchenyuk off of it.

Its all politics. They took their entire NTDP team, and didn't take a single CHL player, but took all their NTDP guys instead.

Leave their best player at home, i bet he's pissed.

Look at the team

http://usahockey.cac...8WMC_Roster.pdf

Look at the column listing 2011-12 team, its all political bullshit. The only guy not listed as NTDP is Danny O'Regan and he actually is NTDP, he joined last month. You have to join their little cult to get a spot on the team.

No Galchenyuk and no Nieves. I hope they get smoked, and I will laugh my ass off when the problem with their team is that they have a good defence but can't score goals.

Not really politics, it's just the perks of playing for the USNTDP. And USA uses all non-USNTDP guys for the Ivan Hlinka Summer U18s. Galchenyuk had 3 goals, 4 points in 4 games there.

Plus, it's not like USA is hurting themselves... they send a team that plays together all year and win 2 out of every 3 years.

The point with Kaberle was that he turned down numerous oppertunities to leave a losing team with crap mgmt with no forsseable chance for improving because he was comfortable with losing. Compare that with Ray Bourque who knew he had no chance of winning in Boston, but winning was more important to him then being a life long Bruin.

What has Kaberle ever done in the Playoffs when he was the supposed to be the main man on the team with Toronto?

Jokinen has 6 career NHL playoff games, Kaberle has 102. I know the point you're trying to make but I wouldn't use playoff games as evidence for that argument.

Who cares how many PP Kaberle had. Boston won the cup in spite of Kaberle AND their horrible PP. You are talking as if boston's PP wad critical to their winning the cup. Kaberle had as much to do with Boston's cup won as Leeman did with the Habs 93' win - and if I remember correctly Leeman did score a key winning goal, but was otherwise useless.

But remember somehow Boston won in spite of him even though he had the most PP points on the team and the most points by a defenceman on the team.

You realize Kaberle waived his NTC right? So yeah when push came to shove he did leave to go try and win a cup.

Also you are comparing Kaberle who when he invoked the NTC in 2008 was in his early 30s to Bourque who was 38 when traded. Big difference. Kaberle felt he had enough years left that he could help the rebuild on the ice and would still be a player when it finished. Bourque was in a now or never situation.

Funny how we are criticizing a player for being loyal to his team.

Exactly. Maybe Max Pacioretty should ask for a trade to get off this losing team?

And we shouldn't want him if he doesn't ask because that means he is okay with being a loser.

or... "revelation" maybe players think they can win in Montreal :D!!!!

I could of sworn this same Kaberle conversation already happened a few times involving Habs29 vs the world. It's apparent that nothing that anybody says to him will ever change his mind. To get back to NHL entry draft discussion, let's all just pretend that Kaberle is a loser, he is more than happy to be a loser and brings absolutely nothing to a team.

So does anybody think there is a chance that we trade our draft pick for anything? Whether it be to move up or down in the draft or for an already established star?

There is a reason why none of the other 29 teams wanted nothing to do with Kaberle, despite Carolina practically giving him away.

I could of sworn this same Kaberle conversation already happened a few times involving Habs29 vs the world. It's apparent that nothing that anybody says to him will ever change his mind. To get back to NHL entry draft discussion, let's all just pretend that Kaberle is a loser, he is more than happy to be a loser and brings absolutely nothing to a team.

No reason to trade the pick for a veteran. They are not 1 veteran away from being a contender. They need a top end center with some size and skill. They need to pick either Grigerenko or Galyenchuk. I prefer Galyenchuk.

I would consider moving pleks for a top 4 defenseman.

Really? Even if either of the G's are able to step into a top six role next semester, we are left without the shutdown defensive center we would need to match up against the other teams top lines. I think Tinordi and Beaulieu will be able to step into top defensive roles sooner rather than later.