2012 NHL Entry Draft talk

Commandant

Totally agreed, I have a feeling Grigs or Galchenyuk would be a perfect fit with the Habs.

G&G seem amazing forwards indeed. However, do not underestimate Timmins to get a rabbit out of his hat.

<p>

Would it be that bad if we picked Murray? A safe pick Dman at a time when Markov is getting older and we still dont know how these injuries have effected him.

Murray's going to be a great player, of that I have no doubt. And he's probably going to be better than most of our prospect defencemen. But with Subban and Emelin already on the big club, Gorges signed for 6 years, plus Diaz looking good, and then Tinordi, Beaulieu, Dietz, Ellis, Pateryn, Bennett, Didier, Sullivan, and everyone else in our system, defence is not really a big need. We have a lot of high end defensive prospects, we don't have a franchise forward, so thats the spot we really need to fill.

When you have a chance to grab a big, offensively talented centre, you have to take it, thats why we should draft Grigorenko, if he's still there at 3, or move up if we have to.

When you have a chance to grab a big, offensively talented centre, you have to take it, thats why we should draft Grigorenko, if he's still there at 3, or move up if we have to.

With only 1 inch of difference, I grab Galchenyuk, Who seems to be the better player.

I would go Galyenchuk as well. i don't like the word "lazy" in the 3rd pick overall. Which i believe Gregerenko has been labeled.

I wouldn't mind Taking Murry either.

Could you please Diaz looking good? He is a number 7 at best on any good team. he was servicible as a replacement, i saw nothing in his game that would lead me to think he is nothing more than #7 dman on a good team.

• Upvote 1

I would go Galyenchuk as well. i don't like the word "lazy" in the 3rd pick overall. Which i believe Gregerenko has been labeled.

I wouldn't mind Taking Murry either.

Could you please Diaz looking good? He is a number 7 at best on any good team. he was servicible as a replacement, i saw nothing in his game that would lead me to think he is nothing more than #7 dman on a good team.

You do realize he is a rookie and was not named to all-star by accident instead of Yemelin.

I might say Weber is a #7 on the Habs, but Weber may be a regular on another team without so much defensive depth, say OIlers, Chicago, Leafs, Jets?

I still see Caps trading for Yakupov, just seems to be a perfect fit and they have the assets to trade.

With Kuznetsov coming and the chemistry between the 2, i can see the Caps selling the farm to make it happen and that would start with both their 1st round picks this year and maybe next years 1st +whatever else is needed(Semin/Alzner)? And i think the Caps also have a ton of other prospects which may fit Oilers roster.

Well the all star game doesn't really want a big hitter, defensive defenseman out there.

The teams you mentioned other than Chicago are bad teams which is my point. On a good team those 2 guys won't make a difference. i don't hate them, they are real good ahler's. Nothing wrong with with that. Not everyone is a great NHL player.

New article for the paranoid.

Top American Defenceman

Jacob Trouba.

http://lastwordonspo...7-jacob-trouba/

With all the US dmen the Habs drafted since Komisarek, would this one finally be the real deal? Description definitely sounds like it. He has all the attributes the Habs have been looking for in years past.

- One of the top hockey university - Michigan Wolverines

- U.S. Captain

- size

- hockey IQ

- offensive abilities

- good hitter

I mean, the Habs have been trying to get that awesome dmen for a while. Now they have the chance to get him.

McDonagh is a pretty awesome U.S. defenceman, and we would have had him.

Tinordi is really developing nicely into a shut down D and shares a lot of those attributes with Trouba.  They were paired at times in the WJC too.  (when Trouba was only 17, showing how good he is at a young age).

Still I wouldn't go for Trouba at 3rd overall, its a reach, and Murray is a better defenceman if you go D.

We need to get a franchise player, probably a franchise forward. I don't want to be down here drafting this high again any time soon, so we better make this count.

I would definitely try to flip the pick with Edmonton and get Nail. Everyone below him is debatable, but he seems like the real deal.

McDonagh is a pretty awesome U.S. defenceman, and we would have had him.

Tinordi is really developing nicely into a shut down D and shares a lot of those attributes with Trouba. They were paired at times in the WJC too. (when Trouba was only 17, showing how good he is at a young age).

Still I wouldn't go for Trouba at 3rd overall, its a reach, and Murray is a better defenceman if you go D.

Is Trouba better than Komisarek was, at the same age?

(We drafted Komi 7th overall)

Is Trouba better than Komisarek was, at the same age?

(We drafted Komi 7th overall)

I didn't really follow the prospects as much 10 years ago as I do now, so I can't answer that. 10 years ago there was no internet streaming and coverage of those gasmes. There wasn't things like the Super Sports Pack where I get all the OHL games, and they just werent as accesible. I was also a University student focused on different things and with less disposable income.

Trouba's good, how does he compare to Komi at the same age, I don't know, because i didn't see Komi til he was in Montreal (and struggling) in like 2003-04

I didn't really follow the prospects as much 10 years ago as I do now, so I can't answer that. 10 years ago there was no internet streaming and coverage of those gasmes. There wasn't things like the Super Sports Pack where I get all the OHL games, and they just werent as accesible. I was also a University student focused on different things and with less disposable income.

Trouba's good, how does he compare to Komi at the same age, I don't know, because i didn't see Komi til he was in Montreal (and struggling) in like 2003-04

I just find it ironic that finally the perfect dmen of Timmins' dreams is there and accessible, and yet he can't pick him because we have a pick too high. Well, we'll see if we trade down in the first round and stack another 2013 2nd rounder in the process.

If Timmons wants a D, he needs to go Murray. The top ranked dman and arguably NHL ready. from all i have read and posters have said, he is going to be really good and is a McDonagh type of player. It ceertainly helped Nashville picking all those top end Dmen. The habs have a few really good D prospects, maybe they'll add another.

As Cammandant said, you can't pass on one those 2 centers if your the habs. You could argue on which center to take but this team needs top end talent at the center position.

I said a while back i wouldn't be oppesed to a top end defenseman, i could live with Murray or Galyenchuk.

I certainly would not move down.

I just find it ironic that finally the perfect dmen of Timmins' dreams is there and accessible, and yet he can't pick him because we have a pick too high. Well, we'll see if we trade down in the first round and stack another 2013 2nd rounder in the process.

How is he the perfect Dman of Timmins dreams?  I really don't understand this supposed infatuation with American Dmen that people think Timmins has, just cause 4 of our last 9 first round picks are dmen.  While the other 5 picks are 4 forwards and a goalie.  Why do we think he favours Dmen in the first round?  Why is this myth so prevelant?

If we actually look at skill sets and remember that One of Timmins 1st round defencemen is Nathan Beaulieu of the QMJHL, and that he's drafted PK Subban, Mathieu Carle, and other Canadian D in the second round, we'd see that skill set wise, Timmins is far more likely to take Dumba or Murray as both are the superb skaters that always seem to catch Timmins eye. Trouba is a good skater, but he's not at Murray or Dumba's level, maybe the two best skaters in the draft.

How is he the perfect Dman of Timmins dreams? I really don't understand this supposed infatuation with American Dmen that people think Timmins has, just cause 4 of our last 9 first round picks are dmen. While the other 5 picks are 4 forwards and a goalie. Why do we think he favours Dmen in the first round? Why is this myth so prevelant?

Maybe bcuz the forwards picked were not rated as blueish chip top end talents?? Cant say either

Timmins and defencemen drafting:

2011: Beaulieu (CAN), Didier (USA), Nygren (SWE), Dietz (CAN), Sullivan (USA)

2010: Tinordi (USA), Ellis (CAN)

2009: Bennett (USA)

2007: McDonaugh (USA), Subban (CAN), Weber (SWZ), Stejskal (USA), Torp (SWE), Kishel (USA)

2006: Fischer (USA), Carle (CAN), Valentenko (RUS), Cepek (USA)

2005: Paquet (CAN)

2004: Emelin (RUS), Streit (SWZ), Dulac-Lemelin (CAN)

2003: Flood (CAN), Tipold (SWE)

USA: 9

CAN: 8

Sweden: 3

Russia: 2

Switzerland: 2

I can understand people assuming a bias since three of those choices were in the first round. If there's anything I can really deduce is that the Timmins myth of not drafting in Sweden certainly isn't true, he's just not good at finding good Swedish defencemen. The Swiss choices have been strong. Russian picks have been strong. French Canadian D-men need to be avoided at nearly all cost but I would consider Beaulieu an exception. RoC picks have been decent. The American choices range from really good (Tinordi, McDonaugh) to good (Bennett, Sullivan) to awful (Fischer, Didier). The rest tend to be high picks that could end up anything.

So to summarize, the idea that Timmins dreams of American blueliners is silly. However, he does have some strong scouting in the USHL and uses it. The only trend I see growing with Timmins in the last few drafts is selecting players who are second and third generation working class players. I think he has been liking the work ethic from them.

• Upvote 1

We need to get a franchise player, probably a franchise forward. I don't want to be down here drafting this high again any time soon, so we better make this count.

I would definitely try to flip the pick with Edmonton and get Nail. Everyone below him is debatable, but he seems like the real deal.

The Habs did get a franchise player with last high pick.

And no matter who they pick this year, highly unlikely to even play in NHL next year and then unlikely to be a big impact player the following year, so the best option to make playoff next year is trade for an All-Star forward on JUly 1st.

Yakupov may be better but not by a crazy amount, when compared to other top few prospects, i myself am very happy picking 3rd and will stick with it.

The only trend I see growing with Timmins in the last few drafts is selecting players who are second and third generation working class players.  I think he has been liking the work ethic from them.

This is a very good point.  I think the organization has seen the flame outs of Kostitsyn, Grabovski, Latendresse, Ribeiro, Kostitsyn, Higgins, and others and has tried to learn from that.  I think that character is becoming more and more important.  Montreal is a special city, and a high draft pick is going to face a ton of pressure in this town.  Price had his struggles but persevered, but others haven't.  I think there has been a trend to the high character, high work ethic, grown up in the game type of kids like Tinordi, Beaulieu, Gallagher, Bennett, and other recent picks in recognizing that you can't just put any old kid into this pressure cooker.  This is yet another reason why I think we're grabbing Galchenyuk with our first pick.</p>

The way i see it we can't go wrong with either two of the g men and or Forsberg. At the age they it is hard to say who the better one will be. Forsberg is playing against men and only 17 and from what they are saying he play's all of the ice not just a scorer.

This is a very good point. I think the organization has seen the flame outs of Kostitsyn, Grabovski, Latendresse, Ribeiro, Kostitsyn, Higgins, and others and has tried to learn from that. I think that character is becoming more and more important. Montreal is a special city, and a high draft pick is going to face a ton of pressure in this town. Price had his struggles but persevered, but others haven't. I think there has been a trend to the high character, high work ethic, grown up in the game type of kids like Tinordi, Beaulieu, Gallagher, Bennett, and other recent picks in recognizing that you can't just put any old kid into this pressure cooker. This is yet another reason why I think we're grabbing Galchenyuk with our first pick.

It works into what I said earlier that teams just don't select by BPA anymore. There are far too many intangibles to do it. You never know how a player will exactly be in your organization but through interviews, upbringing, family, etc. you can get a much better picture. Price himself is a second generation working class player.

• Upvote 1