2012 NHL Entry Draft talk

Commandant

Forsberg is

6’1.25″ 188 lbs

which is 3/4 of an inch shorter than Pacioretty. He is also still 17 and still growing, as that height was recorded over 3 months before his 18th birthday. Chances are he'll end up about the same size as Patches.

I'm not worried about the "power" part of Forsberg's game as he has the type of frame that he'll be able to add weight as he grows.

The question I have is the high end finishing ability. Many guys with similar stats at his age in Sweden develop it... but then there are stories like Jani Rita, and Magnus Paajarvi too.

If Jughead Bob is correct for 6th year in a row, Forsberg it is.

Which is fine by me, sure he could be a Paaajavi, whom may yet turn out a fine player (just taken a bit high is all), but easily also could be a Backstrom or Forsberg type.

I am sure Timmins has done his homework (and he likely didnt travel so far to visit many other prospects families did he?) so when the Swede's name is called on Friday, it will be the first top 6 Swede for Habs since Naslund a long frickin time ago. But too bad Columbus is taking Galchenyuk, but smart pick for them for a change.

He is a good size now and dosent turn 18 till mid August, so once filled out he should be a handful at 6-2 and about 190-200lb in Habs opening game next fall.

Forsberg gives me a slightly lukewarm feeling...I think it's all the scouting reports that praise his work ethic and his willingness to be physical, without making really extravagant claims for his offensive talent. My sense (which I concede is not in any way expertly informed) is that this kid represents a 'safe' pick who nicely fits the preferred robotic NHL profile and will probably become a good NHLer and coach's favourite, but is unlikely to set the world aflame as a top-line star. I dunno, I'd rather we swing for the fences and get someone with the potential to dominate - if that's possible. I'm damned tired of second and third liners. But who knows, I could be way off base about all this.

Forsberg gives me a slightly lukewarm feeling...I think it's all the scouting reports that praise his work ethic and his willingness to be physical, without making really extravagant claims for his offensive talent. My sense (which I concede is not in any way expertly informed) is that this kid represents a 'safe' pick who nicely fits the preferred robotic NHL profile and will probably become a good NHLer and coach's favourite, but is unlikely to set the world aflame as a top-line star. I dunno, I'd rather we swing for the fences and get someone with the potential to dominate - if that's possible. I'm damned tired of second and third liners. But who knows, I could be way off base about all this.

See, even Mr. HW picked Forsberg in mock draft! It is a done deal! :thumbs_up:

Like you i aint 100% sold on any top pick, but i have faith Timmins will make the right call and if the upside of Grigorenko/Dumba is high enough and he calls one of their names, it all good by me.

If the guy the Habs want isnt available ie Galchenyuk or Yakupov, do they consider trading down?

Maybe make a deal for Tampa Bays, Buffalo or Washingtons two 1st rounders if they are interested?

Maybe go after Gaunce, Faksa, Ceci, Teravainen or even Grigorenko?

See, even Mr. HW picked Forsberg in mock draft! It is a done deal! :thumbs_up:

Like you i aint 100% sold on any top pick, but i have faith Timmins will make the right call and if the upside of Grigorenko/Dumba is high enough and he calls one of their names, it all good by me.

We were split on who to take there. I was quietly pushing Murray, Norm and Jonathan were on the Forsberg bandwagon. Grigorenko also had some discussion as well.

It's the moment I'm sure you've all been waiting for (I'll give you a moment to stop laughing)... it's the HW Mock Draft: http://www.habsworld...cle.php?id=2834

No laughing here sir, i would say your top ten will be darn close, if not bang-on and i wouldnt change any

All the Habs picks seems fine but;

I wouldnt wait till 51st to take Lukas Sutter, take him at 33rd (Just love his mix of 150+PIMs, 30 goals, shit disturber, front of net presense, hard worker and bloodlines)

And then Nieves at 51st; or maybe consider one of these guys; di Giuseppe/Winther/Troock/Frk/Sissons/Gordon at 51st.

at 64th i would have to skip goalie till later and take Mitchell Moroz (again to add more grit to system)

For a goalie Makarov stood tall at World Junior gold medal game and Murray was just OK to good at U18s, so i would lean towards Russian (but are lots of good goalies to pick from and i hardly know any).

We were split on who to take there. I was quietly pushing Murray, Norm and Jonathan were on the Forsberg bandwagon. Grigorenko also had some discussion as well.

Murray is as safe as it comes and i would pencil hm in as 6th d-man for the fall for NHL, which would also trigger a big summer sale of mediocre d-men by Bergevin on July 1st.

But Forsberg it is and sounds good fine me.

No laughing here sir, i would say your top ten will be darn close, if not bang-on and i wouldnt change any

All the Habs picks seems fine but;

I wouldnt wait till 51st to take Lukas Sutter, take him at 33rd (Just love his mix of 150+PIMs, 30 goals, shit disturber, front of net presense, hard worker and bloodlines)

And then Nieves at 51st; or maybe consider one of these guys; di Giuseppe/Winther/Troock/Frk/Sissons/Gordon at 51st.

at 64th i would have to skip goalie till later and take Mitchell Moroz (again to add more grit to system)

For a goalie Makarov stood tall at World Junior gold medal game and Murray was just OK to good at U18s, so i would lean towards Russian (but are lots of good goalies to pick from and i hardly know any).

I'm a Sutter fan too and I'm a little leery he'll be there at 51 (I had Nieves and Severson as my top 2 there) but at the same time I think 33 would be a reach. It's looking as if there will be a few top 6 forwards (or at least have the potential to be) available there; there is a bigger need for top-6 than bottom 6 I think. I wouldn't be upset if he went there most likely (I reserve the right to change my mind depending on who's there Saturday) but I think there are better fits.

As for the goalies, Murray was indeed my selection. He's a longer term project which I think suits the team better. Murray needs a few years to fill out his frame (I think being severely underweight hurt him this year) while also getting above average playing time (Jack Campbell's gone so he once again is the #1). Makarov's a year older and with the Russian factor, will slip once again. He's a guy I think that could be had in the later rounds and might be a great pickup then. I'm in the minority here but I think it's a must that a goalie is picked fairly high this draft. The external goalie market is getting pretty thin and as well all know the Habs have very little in the pipeline (I still hold a little hope for Delmas that he can amount to a semi-useful 3rd stringer). Mind you I said last year they had to pick a goalie so perhaps I'm on my own island here...

I'm a Sutter fan too and I'm a little leery he'll be there at 51 (I had Nieves and Severson as my top 2 there) but at the same time I think 33 would be a reach. It's looking as if there will be a few top 6 forwards (or at least have the potential to be) available there; there is a bigger need for top-6 than bottom 6 I think. I wouldn't be upset if he went there most likely (I reserve the right to change my mind depending on who's there Saturday) but I think there are better fits.

As for the goalies, Murray was indeed my selection. He's a longer term project which I think suits the team better. Murray needs a few years to fill out his frame (I think being severely underweight hurt him this year) while also getting above average playing time (Jack Campbell's gone so he once again is the #1). Makarov's a year older and with the Russian factor, will slip once again. He's a guy I think that could be had in the later rounds and might be a great pickup then. I'm in the minority here but I think it's a must that a goalie is picked fairly high this draft. The external goalie market is getting pretty thin and as well all know the Habs have very little in the pipeline (I still hold a little hope for Delmas that he can amount to a semi-useful 3rd stringer). Mind you I said last year they had to pick a goalie so perhaps I'm on my own island here...

I agree Sutter is not the top six guy at 33rd, but you had all my favorites gone (Bozon/Matteau/Laughton etc) and i think Sutter may be gone before 50s; but a more skilled guy like Winther/Troock will still be available at 51.

I think a later pick would be fine for a goalie (if Dell still still wont sign with Habs), but the first four picks, i hope are all forwards and then get a project goalie, as you say, out of the 35 or so middle of road tenders.

Another Huet/Halak would be sweet to find!!

However plays out, i am confident the prospect pool will look much better come Sunday morning.

Listening to Pierre McGuire on TSN, I am really glad Marc Bergevin has been chosen as GM instead of him. Imagine, he is talking about trading Subban to Edmonton in order to pick Yakupov. This is plain ridiculous. Subban has untapped potential. There is no telling how good he can become if groomed properly. As for Yakupov, as far as I know, it's an unknown entity. Hell! he is probably very good, but he supposedly doesn't even figure as number 1 on everybody's list. Subban has to remain with the Habs; he is the future of the team.

I agree. Forsberg is a safe pick. If Yakupov and Galchenyuk are both gone when we make our pick, I think we'll chose one of the defencemen. I'd rather swing for the fences and take Grigorenko. I'd be willing to risk him busting and many fans feel that way. But Timmons doesn't have that luxury. If our pick ends up being anything less than good, then people will be saying we blew it for the next 15 years. For this reason, I think we'll be making a safe pick. To me that means Yakupov, Gachenyuk, Forsberg or a Dman.

Listening to Pierre McGuire on TSN, I am really glad Marc Bergevin has been chosen as GM instead of him. Imagine, he is talking about trading Subban to Edmonton in order to pick Yakupov. This is plain ridiculous. Subban has untapped potential. There is no telling how good he can become if groomed properly. As for Yakupov, as far as I know, it's an unknown entity. Hell! he is probably very good, but he supposedly doesn't even figure as number 1 on everybody's list. Subban has to remain with the Habs; he is the future of the team.

Yeah, I said the same thing yesterday, its just the beginning of McGuire's new round of crapping on the Habs, since he once again didn't get the GM position. The funny thing is, if he were to accept an assistant GM position, someone would actually hire him, I think.

McGuire is McGuire and no one should be surprised with what comes out of his mouth. Montreal made the right choice by NOT selecting this guy for any position within the organization.

I agree. Forsberg is a safe pick. If Yakupov and Galchenyuk are both gone when we make our pick, I think we'll chose one of the defencemen. I'd rather swing for the fences and take Grigorenko. I'd be willing to risk him busting and many fans feel that way. But Timmons doesn't have that luxury. If our pick ends up being anything less than good, then people will be saying we blew it for the next 15 years. For this reason, I think we'll be making a safe pick. To me that means Yakupov, Gachenyuk, Forsberg or a Dman.

True enough. It doesn't change the fact that, based on the little I know about it, the choice of Forsberg will not galvanize me as a fan. 'Solid' is not what I want from this pick.

As for McGuire, that he seems totally uninterested in being an assistant GM is indicative of the arrogance that makes him a dubious choice in the first place. Imagine handing over a multi-million dollar operation to someone who has never even come close to managing anything (except his 'brand') in his entire lift. Pay your dues, good sir.

Mitch Moroz of the Edmonton Oil Kings Bonus Points for his fantastic mustache http://lastwordonspo...mitchell-moroz/
Would be one of my picks at 64th for Habs if some of other more skilled guys like Troock/Gordon/Maidens/Athanasiou are all gone. Moan-type seems bout right, i keep thinking more Lucic but he isnt quite as aggressive in running guys over.

But another good prospect summary.

It's amazing how the perception of how this draft will unfold seems to change from day to day. As I've read over numerous mock drafts the majority seem to have Nail as #1, but some don't. And after that there does not seem to be much concensus at all. The top 5 picks seem to be interchangable depending on who you are reading.

It wasn't that long ago, 2 weeks, that Gregorenko [sp??] from the Remparts was a small possibility to go #1 but most likely 2nd, maybe 3d. Now TSN has him down in the mid teens and others have him well out of the top 10.

This is where guys who have talent for being able to pick the pretenders from the contenders can make or break a draft for a team. When I read over our first round picks during the Houle years it is embaressing. But that obviously had more to do with who Houle had put in place in the scouting department.

FInally, I wonder if Dudley will be used behind the scenes and if he will/can be used at all this week in deciding what the order of our picks will be?

Timmins and Bergevin will have a media scrum in Pittsburgh starting in about 20 minutes or so.

To announce that the new line of LL-DD-FF will be established this fall and Marleau will centre 67-72?

(not that really matter, but couldnt find H Samuelsson in your mock draft pool, was he listed?)

Myself, I rate Galchenyuk and then Grigorenko as the two players the Habs should be gunning for, in that order - assuming Yakupov is not around. As several have noted over the past few days, Grigorenko's decline in scouting circles looks suspiciously like the sort of herd mentality that a good GM will resist. In any case, I really, really want us to swing for the fences with this one. But an expert I ain't, and it's not my job on the line.

Myself, I rate Galchenyuk and then Grigorenko as the two players the Habs should be gunning for, in that order - assuming Yakupov is not around. As several have noted over the past few days, Grigorenko's decline in scouting circles looks suspiciously like the sort of herd mentality that a good GM will resist. In any case, I really, really want us to swing for the fences with this one. But an expert I ain't, and it's not my job on the line.

Or is his drop similar to Angelo Esposito and earned? More likely the Ducks will get a steal at 6 and Grigorenko will be Malkin II.

(not that really matter, but couldnt find H Samuelsson in your mock draft pool, was he listed?)

We don't. I could only bother to type the first 50 NA skaters as per CSB. Use 'other' when you think he'll be picked to score points on that selection.

Or is his drop similar to Angelo Esposito and earned?

Angelo had nothing to do with injuries and everything to do with a smoke and mirrors rookie year. His wingman was Alex Radulov in a 152 point campaign and his scoring always dropped in post-season play or when he wasn't on a line with Radulov.

That was a funny draft, seeing Cherepanov and Esposito looking so disappointed at every draft pick. Cherepanov would have been a star though. He's a sad story.