What took so long to understand that we had/have to get bigger?

alexstream

your reading comprehension failed. Goat left in 2002. The team that was 95% him including kariya, gigure, niedermayer, etc lost in game 7 of the 2003 finals.

The 2007 cup winner was Gauthiers goalie, + mostly murray + 2 D Burke lucked into acquiring as they fell into his lap cause he had Rob Niedermayer and cause Pronger's wife demanded out of Edmonton.

Boom

Very correct.

It was Cammalleri,and Koivu,Halak,Kovy and Souray before him. Why bother.It's Emelin now,if it's that important to you :wall:

Tough time to be a habs fan, thats for sure.

Do you have any other sports you watch and teams you love?

Tough time to be a habs fan, thats for sure.

Do you have any other sports you watch and teams you love?

Out of season now,NFL and MLB but not an NBA fan. And soccer every 4 years for the WC.It's worse being a Hab fan now than back in the late 90's because of expanded cable and the internet,you get to witness the suckiness up close.And I still blame it 100% on the management,because I don't think we had to tank,but every good move we've made has been negated by a bad one. Imagine this current defense in a 7 game series vs. the B's,Flyers or Pens.

Out of season now,NFL and MLB but not an NBA fan. And soccer every 4 years for the WC.It's worse being a Hab fan now than back in the late 90's because of expanded cable and the internet,you get to witness the suckiness up close

If you really hate it that much turn it off or cheer for another team.

If you want to bear through it then hop on for the ride. Thats what I am doing and I cry after big losses nothing you can do just sit back and laugh.

It was Cammalleri,and Koivu,Halak,Kovy and Souray before him. Why bother.It's Emelin now,if it's that important to you :wall:

So now if Emelin leaves town for less than market value, you need to put Gomez on that magical list ASAP.

If you really hate it that much turn it off or cheer for another team.

If you want to bear through it then hop on for the ride. Thats what I am doing and I cry after big losses nothing you can do just sit back and laugh.

"cheer for another team.". Usually these lame responses say "root for the leafs then". But they are better than us now. I've rooted for the Habs for 40 years,and if they suck i'll say they suck and demand change.And I won't waste my time and money watching them as much as I did.

So now if Emelin leaves town for less than market value, you need to put Gomez on that magical list ASAP.

I should have at the start of last year along with 5 or 6 others

Trade Cole and Gionta for picks? Sounds like Columbus or the Islanders to me. Thank God that's not how this team operates.

You are right...we should sit on aging veterans until their value is nothing even though the team is not going to contend without some real help.

This team will never be Columbus or the Islanders simply because we can spend money. For that reason alone the comparison isn't really valid.

I'm saying, tear it apart to re-build the farm for 1-2 years...and I mean tear it apart to try and re-build with high end talent. Then, in 1.5 years, start some UFA signings to get back to that 8th seed. Then as the, hopefully high end, youth gets to breaking the big club you up the UFA ante and try to get to "contending" status. It HAS to be better then trying to slog through into the playoffs with a couple of 60 point players and a good goalie every year...jmho.

I can live with the Tank City Habs for a couple years if I knew there was a legit plan to rebuild. I just hate this mediocre BS that mirrors teams like the Leafs of the past 30 years...the "be just good enough to get the blind fans to spend money" concept of the team...you can put a lot of pro sports franchises in that boat. I don't want the Habs to continue in this position any more. As fans we need to start demanding a legit vision and plan and then hold the organization accountable to following it...even if it means short term pain for long term gain.

I'm going to let you in on a little secret Zowpeb. Tanking is not the only way to build a team. Thankfully, the organization doesn't think like you. Go read The Cucumber's post in another thread.

I'm going to let you in on a little secret Zowpeb. Tanking is not the only way to build a team. Thankfully, the organization doesn't think like you. Go read The Cucumber's post in another thread.

I realise that it can be built otherwise...but I don't think you can build years of winning/contending without building the farm system and acquiring young, controllable talent...at least some of which is expected to be high end talent. Sorry, but in a cap driven world it's not feasible without a short term break to build and/or accelerate that process...

You can be thankful they don't think like me...but I'm disappointed we have an organization in such disarray with no vision/direction. Do you think this management team is the right group to turn this organization around...and I mean top to bottom; from player development to PR to Pro Scouting and contract management, etc. What in the world makes you think they can turn this around now without a couple of BAD seasons to help them along?

Right now the only thing I think we do well right now is draft guys who can, and do, make the NHL...only knock is missing on some of the high end guys. We can debate draft positions and how that MAY have limited us all day...but I think we do a good job finding future NHLers with mid-late round picks which is admirable.

This team will never be Columbus or the Islanders simply because we can spend money. For that reason alone the comparison isn't really valid.

Columbus are a cap team. The Rangers outspent everyone from 1997-2004 and missed the playoffs every year. The Leafs have been a cap team since the lockout with zero playoff appearances. The Oilers have been at or near the cap the past three years.

I'm hoping for a Philly in 2007 type rebound. One bad year where everyone got hurt with one high end prospect gotten through the draft as compensation and that's it.

Columbus are a cap team. The Rangers outspent everyone from 1997-2004 and missed the playoffs every year. The Leafs have been a cap team since the lockout with zero playoff appearances. The Oilers have been at or near the cap the past three years.

I'm hoping for a Philly in 2007 type rebound. One bad year where everyone got hurt with one high end prospect gotten through the draft as compensation and that's it.

Also my dream :clap:

We were more injured last year and still made the playoffs comfortably. Markov was never on the team this year,Gio was having an off year,White is a 4th liner who I really like,but not a difference maker.Other injuries have just been the normal few games here and there.

You are right...we should sit on aging veterans until their value is nothing even though the team is not going to contend without some real help.

I'm saying, tear it apart to re-build the farm for 1-2 years...and I mean tear it apart to try and re-build with high end talent. Then, in 1.5 years, start some UFA signings to get back to that 8th seed. Then as the, hopefully high end, youth gets to breaking the big club you up the UFA ante and try to get to "contending" status. It HAS to be better then trying to slog through into the playoffs with a couple of 60 point players and a good goalie every year...jmho.

I can live with the Tank City Habs for a couple years if I knew there was a legit plan to rebuild. I just hate this mediocre BS that mirrors teams like the Leafs of the past 30 years...the "be just good enough to get the blind fans to spend money" concept of the team...you can put a lot of pro sports franchises in that boat. I don't want the Habs to continue in this position any more. As fans we need to start demanding a legit vision and plan and then hold the organization accountable to following it...even if it means short term pain for long term gain.

That's a great post. It can be done in 2 years.With competent management. We don't need the 4-5 yr tank job of Edm.,Pitt ,Wash etc

• 4 weeks later...

Didn't know where to post it, but this is a translation from a Randy Cunneyworth quote : «Que tu te serves de cet élément-là (de robustesse) ou non, ce n'est pas toujours important, a noté Cunneyworth. Mais il faut que les autres équipes sachent que c'est là. C'est une autre corde à notre arc, et c'est bien de savoir qu'on peut y recourir au besoin.»

I don't really know how to translate "robustesse" but in english :

"Using this element (sturdiness??/grit/fighting/hard body check) or not is not always important. But other teams has to know that you have it. It is another string to our bow and it's good to know that we can use it when needed."

BOOOM I like RC and I'd like to see us adding a few grinders who can play 10+ mins per game.

nhlnumbers.com have Brandon Prust as a UFA for next season. I'd target him BIG time !!!

Didn't know where to post it, but this is a translation from a Randy Cunneyworth quote : «Que tu te serves de cet élément-là (de robustesse) ou non, ce n'est pas toujours important, a noté Cunneyworth. Mais il faut que les autres équipes sachent que c'est là. C'est une autre corde à notre arc, et c'est bien de savoir qu'on peut y recourir au besoin.»

I don't really know how to translate "robustesse" but in english :

"Using this element (sturdiness??/grit/fighting/hard body check) or not is not always important. But other teams has to know that you have it. It is another string to our bow and it's good to know that we can use it when needed."

BOOOM I like RC and I'd like to see us adding a few grinders who can play 10+ mins per game.

nhlnumbers.com have Brandon Prust as a UFA for next season. I'd target him BIG time !!!

Only took 60+ games in a lost season of the 8 year BG/PG plan . And are we really much bigger than the past ? Diaz,Campoli,Kab,as new additions don't strike me as big. And Bourque has some size,but rarely uses it.I'll give big props for getting Staubitz,but I doubt he's here next year.Just in the last year we've dumped Laps,Mara,Sopel,O'byrne,Gill, AK,Pouliot(who is the same physical player as Bourque).Also added Emelin.So no,I say we haven't gotten bigger.

I miss happy Lappy... Some people here think he was embarrasing but I liked the guy and his way of getting under oponents skin.

Yep, Lapierre was a player we should not have lost. Not always consistent, but on a pretty regular basis he was/is one of the very best 4th-lin C/agitators in all of hockey. His haters worked themselves into some sort of moral high dudgeon at his agitating ways - as if hockey is some sort of genteel exercise in medieval chivalry. The fact is that guys like that can help your team win. I guarantee you the Boston Bruins would not have dumped him in the way we did. That he is rated a significant addition to the league-leading Vancouver Canucks is further testament to the fact that he was a squandered asset.

It kinda drives me batty. Maybe if we didn't piss away players like this, we wouldn't be continually scrounging to assemble our bottom-6 season after season.

• Upvote 1

Only took 60+ games in a lost season of the 8 year BG/PG plan . And are we really much bigger than the past ? Diaz,Campoli,Kab,as new additions don't strike me as big. And Bourque has some size,but rarely uses it.I'll give big props for getting Staubitz,but I doubt he's here next year.Just in the last year we've dumped Laps,Mara,Sopel,O'byrne,Gill, AK,Pouliot(who is the same physical player as Bourque).Also added Emelin.So no,I say we haven't gotten bigger.

You forgot the most important addition : Cole and the coming of Max Pac though.

You forgot the most important addition : Cole and the coming of Max Pac though.

Its pretty clear when it comes to forwards that the team is much bigger than before. To deny this is to ignore reality.

Question is if it is better - cole and maxpac are huge upgrades. But the loss of Cammy and Ak46, with the acquisition of Bourque is a huge downgrade.

I also don't like having both DD and Gionta as potential top 6 wingers - I've been saying since last year's playoffs that DD should be on the wing.

Its pretty clear when it comes to forwards that the team is much bigger than before. To deny this is to ignore reality.