Permanent Trade Proposal Thread

dlbalr

I like the idea of a good young goalie prospect to work with Price. Although that could be filled by drafting a goalie.

Any 18 year old goalie you draft is likely 4 years away from the NHL, unless you are using a high pick like Price (who still took 2 years).

Eller has shown little improvement over the last 2 years. Why not get a young, physical LW to add to Galy - Gally next year?

Paajarvi had 20 points in 37 games in the AHL this season, what tells you that he's showing improvement.

Wow, 5 games in, and everyone is giving up on Eller.

I have been ambivalent about Eller for some time, but I really have desire to see Therrien do to him what Martin did to Sergei Kostitsyn. He is a rangy forward with respectable talent - instead of throwing him on the trash pile, we need to work with him and teach him how to be a pro. I think what's happening is that he is being seriously challenged, rather for the first time, to stop being an affable passenger and start taking charge out on the ice. He may need time to adjust to that tough-love message. I'd prefer to see us give him that time. Frankly, it might take him the summer to make up his mind about whether he wants in or out.

Weber is a bit of a different story, at least to my mind. On a dismal defence corps last season he couldn't even win a regular spot. I appreciate the argument that being bounced around from D to FW didn't help his development, but really, the guy has never shown much of anything. Even his supposedly cannonading shot from the point proved useless in a year when we desperately needed that sort of asset. Maybe he'll blossom elsewhere, but I have trouble seeing it.

i thought eller played pretty good tonite. not spectacular but not a disaster. I am not so ready to toss him overboard yet. Weber well................?

Yes Eller was okay but the fact he was second to last on the team in ice time tells you something.

I agree that Eller is slowly playing better, I'm not ready to throw him out.

As for Weber... I think you gotta try to move Kaberle first. Kaberle's better, but the money saved would be huge, and it looks like Kaberle will be the 7th D when Subban returns.

Packaging Eller and Kaberle could get you a better pick than Weber. But, as many posted - do we give up on Eller this early? Can his spot easily be replaced by someone in Hamilton (Leblanc, Palushaj)? Once Pacioretty and Nokie are healthy - Eller is probably gone anyways.

As much as I'd like to see the habs get rid of Kaberle's contract, I don't see any other team taking him. As far as Eller is concerned, I don't think we should give up on him so soon. Give him time to adapt to Therrien's style. Let's not forget that Galchenyuk will not remain as the 3rd line center forever...and Eller would be a perfect 3rd line center.

I think it's ridiculous to give up on Eller at this point. As far as I can tell, this is the first real adversity he's faced (likely in his whole playing career), so naturally he's going to struggle as he tries to redefine who he is as a player. Therrien is known for developing youth (and Eller is still SO young), so I fully anticipate Larry coming out of this a better player. We have to be patient; we can't just expect Eller to flip a switch and become a more aggressive, impact player overnight.

At season's end, if nothing has changed, then maybe I'll feel different... but in the meantime, let him and MT work at his game.

• Upvote 1

I just hope MT doesn't conclude that Eller lacks 'character' and therefore needs to be shipped out. Sometimes when coaches say they want to develop a young player, they mean they want to help him learn the game but NOT that they want to help him become a mature human being. I really think Eller will need time to make the mental adjustment from being a passenger.

The question of how Eller fits long-term is a valid one, though. Presumably Leblanc can be counted on the develop as a solid third line guy, with none of the 'character' and 'desire' issues that are presently vexing Eller. With Galy, Pleks, and (hopefully!) DD ahead of him on the depth chart, it's not clear Eller does fit - except maybe on the wing?

I agree with the most recent posts - be patient with Eller, he is a slow burning fire. I guess that he will become a solid third line centre, and perhaps even replace Pleks in 5 years or so.

His trade value is as low as it could be right now - he is not moving. DD, on the otherhand, may be close to max value. I wouldn't be surprised to see him moved this summer or sooner if Galchenyuk proves he can step up to the 2C role.

More pressingly, is it sustainable to carry 8 dmen on one-way contracts? Do other teams do it?

If not, who moves and how? No way you trade Weber, who is also at low value, unless you've really given up on him. Kaberle would be a tough sell at this juncture.

How about Bully? Maybe that's why he's been getting so many minutes... I wish that was the reason!

Eklund saying Steve Mason, Keaton Ellerby and Magnus Paajarvi are reduced cost high-yield players. While I know nothing about Keaton Ellerby, I been advocating we make a move on Paajarvi for awhile now. Steve Mason might be a nice fit as well if we're looking to solidify out goaltending and take some of the workload off of Price. If these players are truely low value, I don't see a drawback to making a play at any of them, especially when we have Weber, Kaberle and possibly Eller to give away. I'm trying to get back on the Eller bandwagon, but with little to show for his last 3 games, it's hard.

I wonder if the oilers would be interested in Kaberle as part of a deal for pavaarji, although I think they are more in need of a solid defensive dman.

You're more likely to see Mason go for Paajarvi than any of them going to the Habs.

That said, I'd love for Montreal to get Mason. He needs a new home.

I wonder if the oilers would be interested in Kaberle as part of a deal for pavaarji, although I think they are more in need of a solid defensive dman.

I don't see Kaberle going anywhere unless we use our buyout or trade him when he's about to become a UFA. Otherwise, teams will go after a younger offensive D-man. Like Weber.

Oilers don't want Kaberle or Weber. They have way too much firepower from other sources and aren't looking for an over-priced, second rate PP quarterback. Looking around it looks like it's gonna be hard to unload Weber or Kaberle as team are looking for defensive defensemen. Colorado, Detroit and LA are the only ones that look like they might need Kaberle or Weber.

I don't see Kaberle going anywhere unless we use our buyout or trade him when he's about to become a UFA. Otherwise, teams will go after a younger offensive D-man. Like Weber.

I could see him traded if Montreal wants to eat part of the cap hit.

Oilers don't want Kaberle or Weber. They have way too much firepower from other sources and aren't looking for an over-priced, second rate PP quarterback. Looking around it looks like it's gonna be hard to unload Weber or Kaberle as team are looking for defensive defensemen. Colorado, Detroit and LA are the only ones that look like they might need Kaberle or Weber.

I'd add Philly to that mix, as I wrote today, their defence is a mess and both PP and PK are suffering greatly.

• Upvote 1

Patience and opportunity, no rush rught now to give up anything even 1 point in the standings.

Has long as they keep winning, Bergevin can have a better hand.

Players mentionned above have all trade values at a low level = no reward.

A team desperate to have PP points can look at Kaberle in 10 games, a team out of conention with a free agent

to unload can look at Eller much differently before trade deadline.

With the shortened season you can't wait 10 more games. All reports are teams are using 10 games to evaluate their teams and starting to make adjustments then. If you wait another 10 games, it may be the difference between playoff and non-playoff.

That being said I don't expect to hear about any roster altering changes until next weekend roughly. It'll be past the 10 game mark. If Kaberle is going anywhere I'd expect it between the next 7-14 days. Regardless of his play his value would be highest, unless he starts producing like crazy again.

I could see him traded if Montreal wants to eat part of the cap hit.

Here's a possible conundrum - if the Habs are leaning towards using their second compliance buyout on Kaberle, would they want to trade him in a retained salary transaction? I'm sure if the return made sense they would but what type of return would that have to be to get them to absorb the partial cap hit into next season?

Here's a possible conundrum - if the Habs are leaning towards using their second compliance buyout on Kaberle, would they want to trade him in a retained salary transaction? I'm sure if the return made sense they would but what type of return would that have to be to get them to absorb the partial cap hit into next season?

1) To get an asset.

2) To retain the buyout for another player.

1) To get an asset.

Point two is a dire reflection on previous management - that we have 2 guys in need of a buyout is bad enough, three is a damning statement on Bob/Goat

1) To get an asset.

Who else is a buyout candidate? If Bourque plays the way he is now, they're not going to want to buy him out (at least not in the first of two windows) while Markov is also highly doubtful. Gionta also would be a long-shot.

As for getting an asset, as I alluded to earlier, what would be needed to justify retaining the salary? Is a 3rd round pick worth retaining, say, $1M of a cap hit?

Let's be honest, this team is rebuilding, at least to a degree. Unless there's a legitimate shot at a Cup run, I doubt extremely highly that we'll trade Kaberle and keep part of cap hit. That just wouldn't make good economic sense moving forward. If he can't be moved fully, then he'll probably be bought out over the summer. The last thing this team needs as it improves going forward is cap space it cannot use because it's assigned to a player on another club. For a Cup run, okay. Other than that? Just stupid business.

• Upvote 1

Well we could move him, hold back $2m of his salary. I know it's alot, but Kaberle @ $2.25m is a pretty good deal. It might be the difference between a buyout and getting an asset back. The good news is it would only be for 2 years so it'll be off our books by the time Subban is up for another deal. Think of it as reserving $2m for Subban's next contract.

Might be worth holding $2m back on Kaberle and packaging him to get a possible shot at Ryan O'Reilly. Not sure what kind of money he's looking for (EDIT: around $5m per) or if we can even sign him though. If we hold back $2m on Kaberle it brings our cap space near $5m for this season. Next season we will have White, DD, Armstrong, Noke, Budaj, Palushaj, Weber and Bouillon either to resign or let go.

To Colorado:

Kaberle @ $2.25m

Weber

Palushaj

Conditional 3rd, on O'Reilly signing OR DD

To Montreal:

O'Reilly's rights

Conditional 2nd, if O'Reilly doesn't sign OR Conditional 1st if O'Reilly doesn't sign and we trade DD.