Permanent Trade Proposal Thread

dlbalr

Guest Stogey24
1 hour ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

LW: Galchenyuk - Lehkonen - Byron

C: Duchene - Soderberg - Danault

RW: Radulov (hopefully) - Gallagher - Shaw

What hole?

If Chucky stays on wing, then ya, the depth isn't terrible. 

I just think that's hard to swallow trading away the team's best goal scorer, for a guy who doesn't bury at that the same rate. 

This is where some decent prospects would be nice. We have no tradable assets, besides the core of this team.  

12 hours ago, Commandant said:

With Washington Failing again, do they make a major move. 

Is Kuznetsov available?

Is Backstrom?

Is it time they move one of their big offensive weapons?

I had the same thought. It might be worth making inquiries. 

Yeah it seems the Caps should overhaul their roster by making some good old fashioned hockey trades. Oshie, Williams, Shattenkirk, Alzner and Gilbert are UFA while Kuznetsov and likely Orlov will be getting a raise as a RFA. Gotta think that Ovechkin stays put just from a business perspective, and how do you trade a great value in Backstrom at 6.7m? But then again, how many times does a team have to "fail" before they are broken apart? If I was Bergevin I'd be sniffing around for sure 

Guest Stogey24

What about Kovalchuk on the same deal Shipachyov got. 2 year 9mill 

New Jersey signs him and we trade Hudon and second for him. Or we sign and trade Bealieu and a second. 

1 hour ago, illWill said:

Yeah it seems the Caps should overhaul their roster by making some good old fashioned hockey trades. Oshie, Williams, Shattenkirk, Alzner and Gilbert are UFA while Kuznetsov and likely Orlov will be getting a raise as a RFA. Gotta think that Ovechkin stays put just from a business perspective, and how do you trade a great value in Backstrom at 6.7m? But then again, how many times does a team have to "fail" before they are broken apart? If I was Bergevin I'd be sniffing around for sure 

I was thinking Backstrom a few weeks ago but I was advised that Habs would have to put up maybe more then what would still keep the Habs close to the cup :(

(edit) I had said 3x1st +2x2nd + Sherbak but I was told to start thinking MaxPac +2x1st +Micha +?

I actually think that if Washington should make a move it really should be Ovi or the coach. Backstrom and Kuznetsov played well for them and I can see them winning a cup.

On the other hand, I would sincerely be surprised if I ever see Ovechkin lift the cup in a Capitals jersey. I had them going to the final prior to the playoffs but never in a million years did I expect them to win. It's not likely to happen but I would consider the thought of trading Ovechkin.

Trotz has always been heralded as one of those better coaches in the league  and he probably is but look at Nashville doing fine without him and Washington isn't getting it done. He's also handled Ovechkin in a very specific manner the whole time they've been together and he may be  partly responsible for moulding Ovechkin into how I view him. All I know is that it's not only been in the NHL. Whether it's international or league, I rarely see him win. 

Truth be told, if I were them I wouldn't do anything major but they are the San Jose of the east and I think both of those teams will have different cores by the time they win a cup. 

5 hours ago, Stogey24 said:

What about Kovalchuk on the same deal Shipachyov got. 2 year 9mill 

New Jersey signs him and we trade Hudon and second for him. Or we sign and trade Bealieu and a second.

It's going to cost a lot more in terms of money than $4.5 million to get Kovalchuk signed.  I imagine he's looking for at least $6 million per year and likely on a longer-term deal than Shipachyov (who apparently took the only multi-year deal that was offered).

7 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

It's going to cost a lot more in terms of money than $4.5 million to get Kovalchuk signed.  I imagine he's looking for at least $6 million per year and likely on a longer-term deal than Shipachyov (who apparently took the only multi-year deal that was offered).

Bergevin not at least meeting Vegas' offer was a mistake if that is the case. Kovalchuck will also cost some assets to get his rights from New Jersey

3 minutes ago, PMAC said:

Bergevin not at least meeting Vegas' offer was a mistake if that is the case. Kovalchuck will also cost some assets to get his rights from New Jersey

This has been Bergevin's thing for some time. One year deals to skilled guys like Radulov and Perron (two years if you're Briere), multi-year deals if you're a grinder like Shaw or Prust.

1 hour ago, PMAC said:

Just to play devils' advocate, if it was a mistake for Bergevin to not make that offer, was it also a mistake for the other 29 teams who apparently also opted not to?  (Or at least the ones looking to contend/win now...)  There is a legitimate question about how his numbers will translate to the NHL and since it seems that most of his offers were one year, a lot of teams seem to have some concern about that.  I have him as a 40-45 point player (I know Commandant comes in higher with his projection) and at that type of point production, I wouldn't commit multiple years at $4.5 million.

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Just to play devils' advocate, if it was a mistake for Bergevin to not make that offer, was it also a mistake for the other 29 teams who apparently also opted not to?  (Or at least the ones looking to contend/win now...)  There is a legitimate question about how his numbers will translate to the NHL and since it seems that most of his offers were one year, a lot of teams seem to have some concern about that.  I have him as a 40-45 point player (I know Commandant comes in higher with his projection) and at that type of point production, I wouldn't commit multiple years at $4.5 million.

It's an entirely valid question, and it's possible the Habs dodged a bullet. However, the Habs are different from most teams in being almost comically weak at C and yet being in the prime of their supposed 'Cup window.' In other words, if any team is justified in making a risky Hail Mary contractual play on a KHL centreman, it should be us.

As for the Caps, if I'm MacLellan, I really do consider trading Ovechkin, who is going on 32, is coming off a relatively unproductive season (33 goals - low by his standards) and who, for whatever reason, never seems to win anything even when he has a supporting cast that is widely viewed as excellent. He has four more years on a horrible contract for a player at that level of production. Backstrom is cheaper and showing no sign of decline. The fan base is grouchy and will probably support a bold move. This is the right time to trade Ovie.

But let's say the Habs want in. Who would we send back? Pacioretty risks being something close to a lateral move, except we're getting back a player who is three years older and vastly more expensive in the short term. (Of course, you can argue that four years of Ovie at 10 mil is better than 8 years of Patches at, say, 7 mil. I have no opinion on that). And it's not clear that Patches would even be enough, given Ovie's stature and Patches' own record of playoff futility. It's not like we have the young talent to send back the other way if the Caps want to use Ovechkin to generate the next wave; Sergachev is it. Galchenyuk will not be enough either - with whom do we package him? (I'll bet Sergachev + Galy could get 'er done. Put that in your pipe and puff). It's just hard to see how a deal can materialize that makes sense to both parties.

• Upvote 1

I think if the Caps want to move Ovi it will have to be a Kessel type move where they will have to retain a couple million at least to make some teams interested.

Personally I don't want. 

1 hour ago, dlbalr said:

No other team has our combination of expiring window and desperate need for centre ice help.  No one. 

We have the worst centre situation in the NHL right now. 

1 hour ago, Scott462 said:

I think if the Caps want to move Ovi it will have to be a Kessel type move where they will have to retain a couple million at least to make some teams interested.

Personally I don't want. 

The team that gets Ovechkin wins a Cup. Just like how Kessel got Pittsburgh a Cup.

Ovechkin is not the problem in Washington. 

2 minutes ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

The team that gets Ovechkin wins a Cup. Just like how Kessel got Pittsburgh a Cup.

Disagree.

At 10 million I think he is a problem.

2 hours ago, dlbalr said:

That's a fair question but given our utter lack of 1st or 2nd line talent at centre it's a risk that we couldn't afford not to take. If Bergevin doesn't make the right move(s) this summer it is not inconceivable that even  Vegas will have better top-line centre depth than we do?

48 minutes ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

Agreed.  The guy always puts up the points.  Its not his fault at all. 

39 minutes ago, Scott462 said:

Disagree.

At 10 million I think he is a problem.

The Caps offensive problem is that it's completely dependent on forwards. Especially in the playoffs where all of their D had 4 or less points. 

$9.5 million for Ovechkin wasn't a problem compared to $5.5 million for Orpik.

Washington needs some puck movers at D and to send Orpik into the sun. Shattenkirk was a good trade but he ended up a huge disappointment. They should also fire Trotz and get a younger coach that doesn't think old school. 

Do that and hey, maybe they beat Pittsburgh in the second round. 

Well yes, get rid of orpik, and a couple other moves. 

Also, How about when you dominate most of a series, your goalie doesn't play like shit, while Fleury makes saves with the knob of his stick. 

Luck is a real thing, the Caps didn't get any this year. 

But lets allow the Caps to think they need a culture change, and go in and swoop on Kuznetsov while the getting is good. 

27 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Well yes, get rid of orpik, and a couple other moves. 

Also, How about when you dominate most of a series, your goalie doesn't play like shit, while Fleury makes saves with the knob of his stick. 

Luck is a real thing, the Caps didn't get any this year. 

But lets allow the Caps to think they need a culture change, and go in and swoop on Kuznetsov while the getting is good. 

The time is right for Leonis to force his GM into a stupid trade... lets hope Bergevin is there to, uhm, capitalize.

3 hours ago, PMAC said:

That's a fair question but given our utter lack of 1st or 2nd line talent at centre it's a risk that we couldn't afford not to take. If Bergevin doesn't make the right move(s) this summer it is not inconceivable that even  Vegas will have better top-line centre depth than we do?

I'm on the fence on this one. We need help in the top 6 at center but I don't think there should be any risk associated with solving the problem. If that move doesn't work, it surely would have to be the end of Bergevin because he still would have failed to address the issue. If you're Bergevin, do you risk your tenure on Shipachyov?

I checked Shipachyov's stats in the KHL and they are decent but there will always be those question marks surrounding him, especially in his first season transitioning to the NHL. People thought Radulov coming back had some risk and he's consistently been the best or second best point getter in that league.

Could we have signed Shipachyov? Sure. But if that would have been our only major move this off season, there still would have been a lot of uncertainty heading into next season. I would have wanted to know that we'd me making another top 6 center acquisition as well and who knows how easy it would have been to work that out after handing out 4.5 mil to Shipachyov.

To sum up, I agree that our need for a center outweighs that of most other teams but I don't think there should be any (or little to none) risk involved in solving that issue. We need to actually solve it. 

By the way, just an in general comment, there is/was another team with center depth weaker than ours. It's the Vegas Golden Knights. They were more desperate than us and every other team it seems. 

Guest Stogey24

Yakupov is more than available. I know many don't like the player, but he could be a had an all time low price. (Maybe Vegas takes him, but St Louis has some other juicy treat, I'm sure they'd rather).

The kid has skill, and Montreal is starving for a player who can/has been able to put a puck in the net.

Say what you will, the kid is still very young and the one thing that isn't teachable, is talent and the guy has lots of it. A flyer on him isn't the worst possible idea.