Permanent Trade Proposal Thread

dlbalr

12 minutes ago, DON said:

Is one answer, but maybe not correct one. If he pumps in 30+ goals as a LWer instead of at centre, is that so bad.

I don't believe he'll score 30 goals as a LW.  That's his worst position as it does not allow him to get to the right side of the ice and let go his one timer. 

Its one reason why his PPG has always been considerably higher when used at C than LW. 

4 hours ago, DON said:

Is one answer, but maybe not correct one. If he pumps in 30+ goals as a LWer instead of at centre, is that so bad.

It's not so bad but if the alternative is that we need to acquire two top 6 centers as a result of having not one, it's probably the more reasonable expectation. 

I'm probably not the best person on this topic though because I actually see this as being somewhat similar to the Semin situation now that you said that and I was in the minority with my thought process there. I was frustrated when we let Semin walk not because I was in love with Semin but because we were void of a top 6 player with skill and had no one to replace him, but most people's response was that he didn't have the skill of a top 6 player anyway so my argument was moot. The coaching staff has approached this situation similarly, at least in the playoffs this year, in that they did not play him in a top 6 role even though we need more top 6 skill.  The main difference is that more fans seem to believe in Galchenyuk as a player than Semin and think he can fill that top 6 center role.

It's one thing for some of us to say he should be slotted in as a top 6 center but I don't think it can be argued that the coaching staff seems to feel the way most fans did about Semin when he was let go and no one batted an eye. They have yet to act like they believe he belongs in the top 6, let alone at center. I personally haven't seen any glaring deficiency in his game when he plays center, but it looks like Julien has in his brief stint with us thus far. Not only that, he wasn't even in the top 6 as a winger. So while I would play him in a top 6 center role myself, especially since we have no top 6 centers, I've been through this before.

On 5/10/2017 at 11:41 AM, xXx..CK..xXx said:

To Montreal 

Henrik Sedin 

Daniel Sedin 

To Vancouver

Tomas Plekanec 

Nathan Beaulieu 

(additional prospect?) depends how over the hill they are

3rd Round Pick

That was my proposal for them from a few weeks ago. 

3 minutes ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

That was my proposal for them from a few weeks ago. 

Not a crazy proposal, but the Sedins have NTCs and seem quite committed to Van. Meanwhile, I doubt Benning is going to trade two of his top 6, and franchise icons, for an aging third-line C, a question-mark with upside in Beaulieu, and a middling prospect. 

As for the Sedins, they are sloooow but still shifty. Pencil 'em in for 50-60 pts, legit second liners. Whether the cap dollars work out, I dunno.

To Montreal 

Alex Ovechkin 

Niklas Backstrom 

Braden Holtby 

1st Round Pick 

To Washington 

Carey Price 

Alex Galchenyuk 

Max Pacioretty 

2nd Round Pick

I wouldn't do it

1 hour ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

To Montreal 

Alex Ovechkin 

Niklas Backstrom 

Braden Holtby 

1st Round Pick 

To Washington 

Carey Price 

Alex Galchenyuk 

Max Pacioretty 

2nd Round Pick

I wouldn't do it

Haha I don't believe I've ever seen someone dismiss their own proposal 

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, Trizzak said:

Trade proposal from Mike Bossy:

Galchenyuk, Sergachev, Lindgren, 1st round pick for John Tavares.

No way I'd give up that much.  We'd have to fill more holes for a guy who only is under contract for one more year and is going to be getting a BIG payday. 

21 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

No way I'd give up that much.  We'd have to fill more holes for a guy who only is under contract for one more year and is going to be getting a BIG payday. 

I agree it's too much. But if the Habs were to go after Tavares a long time deal would have to be on the table.

Galchenyuk and a first plus a prospect not named Sergachev would be a reasonable deal. Or with Serg and Chuck switched but not both IMO.

Whats interesting is that they're are proposals being made still. New York now has had a couple days to sign JT and nothing has been announced yet.

1 hour ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I believe the proposal is based on the assumption it would be a sign and trade.

43 minutes ago, Trizzak said:

I believe the proposal is based on the assumption it would be a sign and trade.

I still think it's too much to give up.  Sergechev is probably the only real can't miss prospect we have on defence that has top pairing potential.  We already traded subban and McDonough who should have been anchoring the top pair fit the next 7 to 10 years.  I don't think we can afford to give up sergechev.  I think we need help in our top 4 now and another 3 or 4 years will probably need two dmen to be in the top pairing.

i still think Galchenyuk can be a #1 centre.  to give up on a 22-23 year old guy who would probably put up 80 points plus with the islanders AND trade a future top pairing dman for Tavares doesn't make sense.  As good as Tavares is, he has not been able to turn the islanders into a contender.  I don't think we'd be giving him much more support than he's had in the past with some of his islanders teams.  We also have to consider that he's got another 3 or 4 years that he will be a top 10 player in the game.  After that He'll start slipping down from the super elite level.  However, we'd still be paying him to be among the top 10 players in the game for 8 years.  It won't be as bad as the last 6 years of the Weber contract, but we'd be tying up a lot of cap space for two guys that wouldnt be worth their cap hit.

The league is getting younger, and that's why I've always been of the opinion when you have high end guys like subban and galchenyuk you don't put them on bridge contracts.  Sign them for 8 years for the period they are 21-29 years old.  24 to 29 is typically the most productive years of a players career.  If after 3 years sergechev is a top pairing dman, I hope we offer him the $6.5 to  $7.5m deal that we should have signed Subban to after his entry level deal was up.

8 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I still think it's too much to give up.  Sergechev is probably the only real can't miss prospect we have on defence that has top pairing potential.  We already traded subban and McDonough who should have been anchoring the top pair fit the next 7 to 10 years.  I don't think we can afford to give up sergechev.  I think we need help in out top 4 now and another 3 or 4 years will probably need two dmen to be in the top pairing.

i still think Galchenyuk can be a #1 centre.  to give up a 22-23 year old guy who would probably put up 80 points plus with the islanders AND trade a future top pairing dman for Tavares doesn't make sense.  As good as Tavares is, he has not been able to turn the islanders into a contender.  I don't think we'd be giving him much more support than he's had in the past with some of his islanders teams.  We also have to consider that he's got another 3 or 4 years where he will be a top 10 player in the game, before he starts slipping down from the super elite level.  However, we'd still be paying him to be among the top 10 players in the game for 8 years.  It won't be as bad as the last 6 years of the Weber contract, but we'd be tying up a lot of cap space for two guys that wouldnt be with their cap hit.

The league is getting younger, and that's why I've always been of the opinion when you have high end guys like subban and galchenyuk you don't put them on bridge contracts.  Sign them for 8 years for th the period they are 21-29, which is typically the most productive years of a players career.  If after 3 years sergechev is a top pairing dman, I hope we offer him the $6.5 to  $7.5m deal that we should have signed Subban to after his entry level deal was up.

I'm not disagreeing, but the 'sign and trade' stipulation at least puts the conversation from "No ####ing way" to "... hmmm ..."

In my opinion Tavares is a top 5 center in the league and if this team is in "win now" mode, you throw the world at the Islanders to acquire him. We can't complain that Bergevin hasn't acquired a top center and then complain about the cost to get one. The Habs would be very scary with JT in the lineup next year 

• Upvote 1

If we have a Tavares signes longterm I think it is a good deal. There is allways the chance that Galchenyuk will become almost as good as Tavares but there is a high risk that he is a 50-point forward that coaches dont dare to play at center position.

Having Tavares + Price + Weber (I hope he will stay elite for at least 4-5 years) is a fantastic core to build a top contender around and with players like Pacioretty, Lehkonen hopefully Radulov and also Gallagher... It can be a very great 4-5 years to be a habsfan.

Losing Chucky and Sergachev is worth this chance in my opinion.

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, Dalhabs said:

There is allways the chance that Galchenyuk will become almost as good as Tavares

Don't think so, Tavares is elite player.

Tavares 500+games 0.914points/game

Galchenyuk 300+games 0.607pts/gm

So big gap in production and likely skill, confidence or Hockey IQ I assume also.

But, maybe Galchenyuk puts up 35+goals and 70+points this year, just wouldn't count on it.

Thanks for the correction Commandant.

In regards to Tavares not being good enough to carry the Islanders. IMO he has single handily carried that team through their only playoff victories. Like others said he is world class, just this World Cup he showed this. 

Habs do need to be careful here though, giving away Chucky and Serg would be tough. If it had to be the both of them it would have to end with just then but you hope it wouldn't need to be both.

38 minutes ago, DON said:

Don't think so, Tavares is elite player.

Tavares 500+games 0.914points/game

Galchenyuk 300+games 0.607pts/gm

So big gap in production and likely skill, confidence or Hockey IQ I assume also.

But, maybe Galchenyuk puts up 35+goals and 70+points this year, just wouldn't count on it.

Tavares is also a beast defensively, plays a solid two way game.

36 minutes ago, Commandant said:

If he's signed, it would be a painful move to make, but I would do it. 

I wouldn't do it without an agreement that he's signing a contract though. 

Yeah. It's the kind of trade that hurts, but you don't get a player like that without a painful surrender of young assets. You just have to steel yourself and do it, if, as you say, Tavares is locked up.

I don't make that trade. One of the background reasons I'm fine with the Weber trade overall is that we have Sergachev coming in soon. I don't include him in a trade at this point. Remember this in 2 years.

If you can get Tavares for that package you do it. He's an elite player. So many people talking about Serg like he's an automatic top 2 dman. 

Serg has amazing potential.. but you deal that potential for an elite player in his prime every day of the week.