Permanent Trade Proposal Thread

dlbalr

5 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

I'd do that.  I think Patrick's offensive upside is pretty much where I'd peg Galchenyuk's (60-65 points) and Patrick is someone that is good enough defensively to hold his own down the middle right away.  The Habs would also free up some money in the process.  That said, I don't think the Devils would really entertain that though.

How far away is he from reaching that potential?  I actually think galchenyuk can be in that 75+ range.

1 minute ago, hab29RETIRED said:

How far away is he from reaching that potential?  I actually think galchenyuk can be in that 75+ range.

I wouldn't peg him for hitting that type of production right away.  I'd think he'd come in around 40-45 in year one with the Habs, likely spending time at both 2C and 3C with them easing him in.  I know we differ on Galchenyuk's ceiling so I can see where you may not be so bullish on this idea.

45 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

I'd do that.  I think Patrick's offensive upside is pretty much where I'd peg Galchenyuk's (60-65 points) and Patrick is someone that is good enough defensively to hold his own down the middle right away.  The Habs would also free up some money in the process.  That said, I don't think the Devils would really entertain that though.

My issue here is Galchenyuk has already proven he's a legitimate top 6 forward, and even scored 30 goals. First overall picks are great, but every once in a while you get an Alexei Yashin or Alexandre Daigle.  

What you do is trade Galchenyuk for Damon Severson to address our rhd need, and to balance the added value in Galchenyuk, you also swap 1st round picks (and grab Patrick with it.)

I also don't think NJ does this, though.

8 minutes ago, Jeff Price (no relation) said:

My issue here is Galchenyuk has already proven he's a legitimate top 6 forward, and even scored 30 goals. First overall picks are great, but every once in a while you get an Alexei Yashin or Alexandre Daigle.  

What you do is trade Galchenyuk for Damon Severson to address our rhd need, and to balance the added value in Galchenyuk, you also swap 1st round picks (and grab Patrick with it.)

I won't disagree that Galchenyuk has proven himself to be a top six forward.  I would, however, suggest that the risk of Patrick busting seems to be rather low and while the team is hesitant to put Galchenyuk at centre, they won't have those reservations with Patrick who is a sound two-way player.  Galchenyuk may wind up being a bit more of a point producer in the end but Patrick plays the more premium position (and comes with a minimum of seven years of control whereas Galchenyuk's at two right now) which would make him a fair bit more valuable.

As for the second part, the Habs don't really have a RHD need.  That's their area of strength on the back end - Weber and Petry are mainstays for a while with Juulsen a year or two away from being a regular himself.  They're pretty well set in that spot so Severson really isn't needed.

It's not the lack of talent for our RHDs that concerns me, it's the lack of bodies.

Right now, we have only two habs d-men that shoot right, Weber and Petry.  Meanwhile, we have Markov, Schlemko, Benn, and Davidson shooting left. Right now, one of them has to crossover to their worse side.  Worse yet, those are the only 6 NHL ready defensemen we have on our roster -- if one of them gets injured, we're in trouble. I'd love for Davidson to be the 7th D-man, and to have a great kid like Severson  in our top 6.

14 minutes ago, Jeff Price (no relation) said:

It's not the lack of talent for our RHDs that concerns me, it's the lack of bodies.

Right now, we have only two habs d-men that shoot right, Weber and Petry.  Meanwhile, we have Markov, Schlemko, Benn, and Davidson shooting left. Right now, one of them has to crossover to their worse side.  Worse yet, those are the only 6 NHL ready defensemen we have on our roster -- if one of them gets injured, we're in trouble. I'd love for Davidson to be the 7th D-man, and to have a great kid like Severson  in our top 6.

Severson would be a third pairing player though as he's not playing ahead of Weber or Petry - wouldn't it be a waste to use your best trade chip in Galchenyuk to fill a third pairing spot?  There are better priorities to fill if you're moving a core asset.

Just now, dlbalr said:

Severson would be a third pairing player though as he's not playing ahead of Weber or Petry - wouldn't it be a waste to use your best trade chip in Galchenyuk to fill a third pairing spot?  There are better priorities to fill if you're moving a core asset.

In this case, we're not losing galchenyuk for a third paring d-man though, we're losing our 1st round pick for a 22-year old third pairing d-man who can move the puck like mad and is already a 31 point per year guy in NJ.  Basically, an upgrade on Beaulieu that is top 4 potential (and actually appears to be likely to get there, unlike Beaulieu.)

20 minutes ago, Jeff Price (no relation) said:

Its much easier to have a LHD play RD than the other way around. 

Benn already played RD for us last season and looked good. 

Our top 3 callups (Redmond, Lernout, Juulsen) are RHD. 

4 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Its much easier to have a LHD play RD than the other way around. 

I suppose. But just remember how Emelin looked playing on his wrong side.

It doesn't really matter. Severson is a longshot potential franchise D-man.  He's not Subban, but I don't see NJ taking that risk. (On the other hand, I recall someone trading away a certain someone for Scott Gomez...)

1 hour ago, Jeff Price (no relation) said:

I suppose. But just remember how Emelin looked playing on his wrong side.

It doesn't really matter. Severson is a longshot potential franchise D-man.  He's not Subban, but I don't see NJ taking that risk. (On the other hand, I recall someone trading away a certain someone for Scott Gomez...)

Not everyone can do it, but there are far more LHD who can play the right side than vice-versa.  We also have one in Benn. 

If I were GM I would go and make an offer for Ryan Spooner. He's small being 5'10" but has the ability to fit in as your second line center. He had a bit of a down year last year and was scratched for some games in the playoffs so his value would be low. 25 year old who put up 49 points a season ago and 39 last year. 

I know this probably won't happen since Julien and Spooner didn't quite see eye to eye with Spooner saying Julien didn't like him as a player. 

Spooner for 2nd round pick and de la Rose. Might need to add more though to entice. Maybe McCarron.

34 minutes ago, Habsfan84 said:

If I were GM I would go and make an offer for Ryan Spooner. He's small being 5'10" but has the ability to fit in as your second line center. He had a bit of a down year last year and was scratched for some games in the playoffs so his value would be low. 25 year old who put up 49 points a season ago and 39 last year. 

I know this probably won't happen since Julien and Spooner didn't quite see eye to eye with Spooner saying Julien didn't like him as a player. 

Spooner for 2nd round pick and de la Rose. Might need to add more though to entice. Maybe McCarron.

It's an intriguing thought, but if Julien doesn't like him, then there's no point. He'll just ride the pine in favour of plugs a la Dwight King. Spooner was also benched by Cassidy, so it's not just Julien.

He seems to be a kid they're close to giving up on. A second rounder plus Big Mac seems crazy for a guy who is basically Desharnais. I might do JDLR for him but that's about it.

What I do like about your thinking is that you're identifying under-the-radar C with some sort of offensive upside. Given the preposterous organizational weakness at C, I don't think we can turn our noses up at 'David Desharnais 2.0,' provided we don't extend too long a contract, and provided we're talking about DD circa 2014 (45-50 points, legitimate offensive creativity), not the POS from 2016.

7 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

He seems to be a kid they're close to giving up on. A second rounder plus Big Mac seems crazy for a guy who is basically Desharnais. I might do JDLR for him but that's about it.

Ya I guess I wasn't that clear on it. If it were to be McCarron involved it would be straight up player for player. No second rounder. 

Ya I'm okay losing de la Rose as well but his trade value can't be that high. Emelin was picked over him. 

4 hours ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

That's one inch shorter than Crosby. 

And that guy is doing alright. Ya I think we would still be able to take in a smaller player in the right circumstances but don't know if Bergevin would be all that willing. If it came to Drouin - Spooner - Gallagher that's a pretty small line. 

With San Jose potentially losing Joe and Marleau, I'm thinking they might have an interest in Galchenyuk.

maybe Chucky and Mccaron and a pick for Vlasic and Karlsson

9 minutes ago, TheDriveFor25 said:

With San Jose potentially losing Joe and Marleau, I'm thinking they might have an interest in Galchenyuk.

maybe Chucky and Mccaron and a pick for Vlasic and Karlsson

Vlasic has a long-term extension in place that will be announced July 1st.  They're not moving him under any circumstances.

One situation where I think a potential top 4 D could be available cheaper is Columbus. You'd think Ryan Murray could be had for a 2nd round pick and one of our bottom pairing guys like Schlemko. I doubt they wanna subtract anybody from their roster but they could use more cost certainty and a guy like Schlemko or even Benn could net us that upgrade with a pick. What about that?

That way we don't have to subtract Galchenyuk or any of our other forwards. I think he could play with Weber personally  

55 minutes ago, for Pete's sake said:

One situation where I think a potential top 4 D could be available cheaper is Columbus. You'd think Ryan Murray could be had for a 2nd round pick and one of our bottom pairing guys like Schlemko. I doubt they wanna subtract anybody from their roster but they could use more cost certainty and a guy like Schlemko or even Benn could net us that upgrade with a pick. What about that?

That way we don't have to subtract Galchenyuk or any of our other forwards. I think he could play with Weber personally  

I read somewhere the Blue Jackets are shopping Murray.  I'd give him a shot if we could do a 2nd and something for him.

I think if we are moving a forward for a defenceman Gallagher or Shaw needs to go.  I don't think we need 2 of the same type of players.  SMall agitators that can put up a few points.  IMHO I think Gallagher's value is higher so from the perspective of getting a bigger return, I would package Gallagher for a center/defenceman.  Would rather it be Shaw, but Gallagher has higher value.

Don't get me wrong here, I love Gallagher on the team.

20 minutes ago, TurdBurglar said:

I read somewhere the Blue Jackets are shopping Murray.  I'd give him a shot if we could do a 2nd and something for him.

I think if we are moving a forward for a defenceman Gallagher or Shaw needs to go.  I don't think we need 2 of the same type of players.  SMall agitators that can put up a few points.  IMHO I think Gallagher's value is higher so from the perspective of getting a bigger return, I would package Gallagher for a center/defenceman.  Would rather it be Shaw, but Gallagher has higher value.

Don't get me wrong here, I love Gallagher on the team.

Shaw is going no where anytime soon.

Gallagher in uninjured season should be good for 45-50pts.; but would obviously prefer to lose him than Galchenyuk no question.

Murray might work, but wasn't in top 4 in Columbus, so not sure he could handle top minutes any better than Beaulieu did?

19 minutes ago, Stogey24 said:

Shaw should never have been signed. 

You add a player like him when you already have your top 6 set

More to the point, a team should be developing guys like that from within the system.

Guest Stogey24
3 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

More to the point, a team should be developing guys like that from within the system.

Ya, even better. 

Crisp or Thrower would have fit the bill, but that development went no where 

3 hours ago, for Pete's sake said:

They arent' trading Schlemko four days after acquiring him.