Permanent Trade Proposal Thread

dlbalr

It really does seem that Tavares is sort of the last chance for a truly major, core-changing move that could elevate the Bergevin team to 'contender' status. (I'm sure other options are out there, and others will materialize over time, but this is the one that leaps out at you). Perhaps that's what MB has in mind in hoarding cap space, making an eventual JT signing possible.

Now that we have Drouin, who can play W, I wouldn't hesitate to move Pacioretty in such a deal. Price is out of the question (and wouldn't agree to waive his NTC to go there anyway). But I would include almost any other player/prospect in the deal. (Weber being the only one that makes me cavil, because our D would be a tire-fire without him).

Whether we really have the resources to tempt NYI, and whether Tavares could be induced to sign here, are different questions.

If the Habs keep losing, we may see MB trading key assets he would otherwise have used for a deal like this in order to get a second-tier return offering immediate help. e.g., Duchesne. But if he doesn't get fired in the interim, Tavares is basically the last bolt in the quiver that I can see that has the potential to salvage his disastrous tenure.

47 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

It really does seem that Tavares is sort of the last chance for a truly major, core-changing move that could elevate the Bergevin team to 'contender' status. (I'm sure other options are out there, and others will materialize over time, but this is the one that leaps out at you). Perhaps that's what MB has in mind in hoarding cap space, making an eventual JT signing possible.

Now that we have Drouin, who can play W, I wouldn't hesitate to move Pacioretty in such a deal. Price is out of the question (and wouldn't agree to waive his NTC to go there anyway). But I would include almost any other player/prospect in the deal. (Weber being the only one that makes me cavil, because our D would be a tire-fire without him).

Whether we really have the resources to tempt NYI, and whether Tavares could be induced to sign here, are different questions.

If the Habs keep losing, we may see MB trading key assets he would otherwise have used for a deal like this in order to get a second-tier return offering immediate help. e.g., Duchesne. But if he doesn't get fired in the interim, Tavares is basically the last bolt in the quiver that I can see that has the potential to salvage his disastrous tenure.

For sure. I just love to poke the Halak flames every so often lol

In reality. With Price at $10.5M. There is no way Pacioretty is here at $7-9M AND they fix the center ice issue.  

Sign and Trade Tavares. 8 yr $9-10M for Pacioretty McCarron Juulsen McNiven and how ever many picks. Get while the gettin's good.

Looks like a lost season for Arizona with 16g for and 30against... would they have any players that might fit the Habs need(s) and might be available?

8 minutes ago, DON said:

Looks like a lost season for Arizona with 16g for and 30against... would they have any players that might fit the Habs need(s) and might be available?

Not unless they are exploring a move of a guy like OEL (UFA after 2018-19 season), but Habs dont even have the assets to make that move. 

14 hours ago, Commandant said:

Not unless they are exploring a move of a guy like OEL (UFA after 2018-19 season), but Habs dont even have the assets to make that move. 

As is to be expected with a team that lacks a strong development pipeline.

MB is a clown.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, BCHabnut said:

Plekanec Benn for

shipachyov Theodore 

Why is vegas giving up theodore?

No chance they would do this.  He's one of a small number of pieces they will build with (tuch, their draftees, subban, etc...)

4 hours ago, Commandant said:

Another goalie hurt in Vegas.... I'd give them Montoya or Fucale for a late pick. 

I'd turn towards someone like Hutchinson or Zatkoff first if I were them - expiring deals that still have their full 30-day waiver exemption.  Montoya's the better goalie but when everyone is healthy, they'll be back to the same situation they were at the start of the year.  I don't think Fucale would really interest them too much - they should want someone with a bit of NHL experience.

2 hours ago, DON said:

Rangers losing to Vegas 4-2, how soon before they make a move?

AV's head is supposedly on the chopping block. Too bad about the timing, he is the best of the franco coaches out there (although Boucher has looked good in his second incarnation).

6 hours ago, dlbalr said:

I'd turn towards someone like Hutchinson or Zatkoff first if I were them - expiring deals that still have their full 30-day waiver exemption.  Montoya's the better goalie but when everyone is healthy, they'll be back to the same situation they were at the start of the year.  I don't think Fucale would really interest them too much - they should want someone with a bit of NHL experience.

Fucale only comes to mind cause they did take Subban. 

To Montreal: John Tavares

To New York: Carey Price

Obviously contingent on Tavares resigning. Montreal gets an elite center for around the same money that Price is going to be getting. Then they roll the dice with the goalies they have already, if that doesn't work they can acquire one fairly easily. Garth Snow finally gets an elite goaltender and a star to fill the void for their fans. 

This proposed deal is more based on Price's upcoming salary cap hit as a goalie, rather than his lackluster performance so far this season. I am confident he is going to round into form here at some point. 

Flame away

• Upvote 1

Me too... 

Ask Snow how much for Tavares and then offer him a bit more just to stop potential bidding war haha.

thing is it is hard to not think about Price struggling now...

If Price plays like hart trophy-Carey I am sure it is a harder trade to make.

i remember Theodore stinking after signing his big contract with us we managed to dump him fast...   I hope Price is not the next Jose Theodore.

With Prices contract we are doomed if he is.

?

Would have done during the price hart year. 

Crawford and  fleury are decent goalies who won the cup with awesome centremen. When brodeur was winning cups, the rules were much different. I'd take Tavares with Craig Anderson or comparable any day. 

Yeah, and we're going to just automatically get Craig Anderson? 

Ask Philly how nice it's been waiting since 1975 when they won their last ring. They are still looking for that goalie. Last few times they got a sniff? In '97, Mike Vernon won the Connie Smythe and I'm sure they loved that. Michael Leighton also couldn't do much in their last final against Chicago.

The game has changed but I'm not sure where the evidence lays demonstrating that goaltendingn is less important than ever. Jonathan Quick and Tim Thomas won back to back Conne Smythe's in 2011 and 2012 and these are not just "goaltenders who can get hot for a series" and match Price's level.

If anything, I believe goaltenders like Price have become a little too mechanical and lack that reactionary instinct a goalie should have when the unexpected happens. Price does it from time to time but far from the extent that Quick or Thomas have. 

I would try to acquire Tavares but surely we can do so without sending Price the other way. We've just started a season with 8 million in cap space available and we're still trying to find a way to save the space. We could fot both players on the roster, even with Price's raise.

Galchenyuk, Danault, Draft pick/prospect could get her done. I'm sure there are other pieces we could send as well for those who love Galchenyuk. 

Kudos to illWill for some bold thinking.

I'm not sure I make that trade, BUT I do believe that the existing configuration of this core is not going to win a Cup, ever. So short of committing to a rebuild, bold moves and bold thinking are required.

Guest Stogey24

You can't make a trade like that right now.

Tavares sure as hell isn't going to sign a deal with the Habs if they're destined for a rebuild. Which is what should be happening 

A team with 5 of their top 6 forwards 25 and under (exception Max) and with Carey Price signed for 9 years is not rebuilding. 

The same team who just signed price 4 months ago, is highly unlikely to trade him. 

He also has a 15 team NTC in his current deal and all teams next year. 

2 hours ago, Stogey24 said:

You can't make a trade like that right now.

Tavares sure as hell isn't going to sign a deal with the Habs if they're destined for a rebuild. Which is what should be happening 

I don't think Price for Tavares would signify a rebuild at all.

Guest Stogey24
47 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I don't think Price for Tavares would signify a rebuild at all.

? I'm saying why would we trade price for Tavares when this team overall is looking like a dumpster fire. 

For one, if your trading price, your rebuilding and two Tavares isn't resigning with a team that's not in contention 

Well, I don't know why trading one 30 year old core piece for a 27 year old core piece is 'rebuilding.'

To my mind, trading Price (or other core guys) for elite prospects, picks, young guys, that's 'rebuilding.'

Now obviously if they trade Price and proceed with Montoya and rookies in net, then they're tanking and Tavares would be wise not to resign. You can't create a Price-sized hole and not make a further move to try to fill in a good portion of it.

56 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Well, I don't know why trading one 30 year old core piece for a 27 year old core piece is 'rebuilding.'

To my mind, trading Price (or other core guys) for elite prospects, picks, young guys, that's 'rebuilding.'

Now obviously if they trade Price and proceed with Montoya and rookies in net, then they're tanking and Tavares would be wise not to resign. You can't create a Price-sized hole and not make a further move to try to fill in a good portion of it.

While I’d do a price for Tavares trade without blinking, what’s the chances of Tavares resigning given the number of holes we have.  The only selling point we have is Price, without him we are the Phoenix coyotes - with a management team that is just as incompetent.