Permanent Trade Proposal Thread

dlbalr

15 hours ago, Commandant said:

Pacioretty

for

Sam Steel, Josh Mahura, 2nd rounder. 

This seems like a realistic return for Pacioretty.  It would be nice if there was a way to turn that 2nd rounder into a 1st though.

13 minutes ago, John B said:

This seems like a realistic return for Pacioretty.  It would be nice if there was a way to turn that 2nd rounder into a 1st though.

you would have to take a downgrade on Steel and Mahura who are high end prospects. 

18 minutes ago, John B said:

4 minutes ago, Commandant said:

you would have to take a downgrade on Steel and Mahura who are high end prospects. 

Put a couple of performance conditions on the pick that it becomes a 1st if Pacioretty plays at least 50% of the playoff games, has at least a .5 ppg average, and the team wins the Stanley Cup.

If the Habs are certain that Galchenyuk isn't a centre, could something maybe get done with Columbus for someone like Alexander Wennberg? 

They have identical cap hits (Wennberg is signed for three more years than Galchenyuk) which makes managing the money pretty easy.  They're very close in age as well - only about seven months apart.  Galchenyuk is more of a scorer and Wennberg more of a playmaker.  Wennberg is more established down the middle though and while he may not be a true #1C, he's a quality #2.  With Pierre-Luc Dubois establishing himself quickly at centre, Columbus might be inclined to deal Wennberg for a more dynamic winger (that could potentially shift back at some point), especially since they're in win-now mode.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dlbalr said:

If the Habs are certain that Galchenyuk isn't a centre, could something maybe get done with Columbus for someone like Alexander Wennberg? 

They have identical cap hits (Wennberg is signed for three more years than Galchenyuk) which makes managing the money pretty easy.  They're very close in age as well - only about seven months apart.  Galchenyuk is more of a scorer and Wennberg more of a playmaker.  Wennberg is more established down the middle though and while he may not be a true #1C, he's a quality #2.  With Pierre-Luc Dubois establishing himself quickly at centre, Columbus might be inclined to deal Wennberg for a more dynamic winger (that could potentially shift back at some point), especially since they're in win-now mode.

I think we'd have to add something significant to get Wennberg for Galchenyuk. He'd be a great add though for sure!

1 hour ago, dlbalr said:

I think Columbus is looking to add a centre, just like we are. 

I don't see the two teams as good trade partners.  

1 hour ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

To New York Rangers

- Max Pacioretty

To Montreal Canadiens

- Lias Andersson

- John Gilmour

- 1st Round Pick 2018

I'm sure someone in the Rangers organization is angry at him for tossing the silver medal in the crowd. Capitalize on it.

After seeing the video of Andersson throwing away his silver medal, i was just going to post that the Habs should trade for him.  That's the type of player I want on this team. Friggin Cup or bust. I want a guy with the "2nd Place is the first loser" type mentality.

• Upvote 3

Thoughts on trading Paul Byron?

He's on pace to match his goal total from last season while his low assists show a bad team around him more than poor play on his part, so his value is high.

On the PK he is a threat of offense but with solid, defensive play. 

His contract is a steal, and any team in the league could easily fit him under their cap situation. Plus he has another year, so teams would get more than a rental.

Habs have all of their depth on the wing with Hudon or Lehkonen on the 4th line when everyone is healthy, plus Scherbak is doing everything he can to escape Lefebvre.

So ya... trade Byron? Does he help the team more as a player on the team or in a trade?

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

If the offer is good.  Trade him.

But given the contract and production the offer would have to be really good.

Yeah...it's hard to see the return being sufficient to compensate for his overall value. As ridiculous as it sounds, he's been one of our most useful all-around FWs. An absolutely brilliant waiver pickup by Bergevin, who has done a decent job with the bottom-6 FW unit, if little else.

But perhaps where Byron has real trade value is as an add-in to a blockbuster deal for a #1C or high-end prospect(s). Toss him in with Patches, say, it could put a contender right over the top.

I think all the older vets should be up for grabs. 

If Eller and Shaw each got 2 2nd rounders Byron, Pleks should get good returns, Benn, Shlemko and Petry should be shopped as well. 

Casperetty  should get similar return as Dueschene

galchenyuk (i'm not sure what to do with him) but you could trade him for a similar age and skill center

• Upvote 2

If I become GM tomorrow, these guys are not Habs by July:

- Max Pacioretty

- Shea Weber

- Andrew Shaw

- Karl Alzner

- Paul Byron

- Tomas Plekanec

- Jordie Benn

Whether I trade them tomorrow, trade deadline, at the draft, doesn't matter. They would all be gone. Shea Weber I might hold off to next season, but I'm also waiting for Jeff Petry's 12 team NTC list to kick in for 2018-19. 

2 hours ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

If I become GM tomorrow, these guys are not Habs by July:

- Max Pacioretty

- Shea Weber

- Andrew Shaw

- Karl Alzner

- Paul Byron

- Tomas Plekanec

- Jordie Benn

Whether I trade them tomorrow, trade deadline, at the draft, doesn't matter. They would all be gone. Shea Weber I might hold off to next season, but I'm also waiting for Jeff Petry's 12 team NTC list to kick in for 2018-19. 

I wonder what Weber's trade value is?

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I wonder what Weber's trade value is?

If healthy? Probably high. Higher if Montreal takes some cap back.

GMs still value him highly. Might be better to trade him next year. I know once the Caps free themselves of Orpik that Trotz would love to get Weber back in Washington. Weber is still highly valued by the old school types, and it's not like he's a bad player. He's just not the guy to build your defence around.

42 minutes ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

If healthy? Probably high. Higher if Montreal takes some cap back.

GMs still value him highly. Might be better to trade him next year. I know once the Caps free themselves of Orpik that Trotz would love to get Weber back in Washington. Weber is still highly valued by the old school types, and it's not like he's a bad player. He's just not the guy to build your defence around.

I’d move him this summer - the older he gets, the lowers the return is going to be.  We also don’t know if this year is going to be the start of injuries as he ages.

Stop it. You guys are making me like Bergevin.

• Upvote 1

Weber is a stud, don't let the standings fool you. And no, his value won't decrease as he ages because his actual salary is quite a contrast from his salary cap hit, despite what some negative Nancys around here say. There are plenty of examples of defensemen of his ilk that have been very valuable in their mid to late thirties. He is not going anywhere, nor should he. It's madness suggesting otherwise 

53 minutes ago, illWill said:

Weber is a stud, don't let the standings fool you. And no, his value won't decrease as he ages because his actual salary is quite a contrast from his salary cap hit, despite what some negative Nancys around here say. There are plenty of examples of defensemen of his ilk that have been very valuable in their mid to late thirties. He is not going anywhere, nor should he. It's madness suggesting otherwise 

Agreed.. he's a beast. I'd be shocked if he was moved. 

I was at the LA at Edmonton game on January 2..  Doughty is a beast.

I've seen lots of NHL defencemen play - Subban, Karlsson, Burns... and I've never seen one look as good as Doughty did.. even in the warmups he had a swagger to him.. 

Anways,  he's not getting dealt to Montreal but another guy that was noticeable at the game was Lucic. Terrible contract, but he gives it all every shift.. even when the game was obviously over he was still skating hard, being a pest. 

Does Edmonton regret the signing? Freeing up space might allow them to sign Maroon or add more depth at forward.

Could we do Pleks + a draft pick for Lucic with salary retained. If Edmonton retains 25% you would get him for 4.5 which is decent for a 2nd/3rd liner. 

Maybe "sweeten" the pot with a prospect who is going nowhere?

with regards to getting a Numero Uno centre ....what scenario(s) are still reasonably possible without trading Pacioretty?  

Likely......at least one ( first round pick)  or two (second round picks) will acquitred come deadline via our UFAs or players such as Gally or Shaw ... So my question is: would picks and the Habs' 9 million surplus allow them to get a number one centreman? i.e. picks/prospect plus $$$ to take a burden/deadweight  = one top centreman like O'Reilly for example?

24 minutes ago, CoRvInA said:

with regards to getting a Numero Uno centre ....what scenario(s) are still reasonably possible without trading Pacioretty?  

Likely......at least one ( first round pick)  or two (second round picks) will acquitred come deadline via our UFAs or players such as Gally or Shaw ... So my question is: would picks and the Habs' 9 million surplus allow them to get a number one centreman? i.e. picks/prospect plus $$$ to take a burden/deadweight  = one top centreman like O'Reilly for example?

Is Buffalo desperate to move Okposo's contract? Maybe Pominville (1 year left) or Scandella (2).. still would need to add prospects and picks to get ROR.. Maybe with Pacs being from the NY area they'd be interested..

Pacs, 2nd round pick, Mccaron for ROR, Okposo and ??

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, CoRvInA said:

Sabres aint moving OReilly and no team likely will be parting with their best centre. But a #2 like Nugent Hopkins or Reinhart from Sabres, is possible.

41 minutes ago, DON said:

Sabres aint moving OReilly and no team likely will be parting with their best centre. But a #2 like Nugent Hopkins or Reinhart from Sabres, is possible.

Yes its unlikely that a top C goes to another team ... but unless the price is right.  Then what what would be a price no team dealing a #2 would say no to?

a) assuming they dont need to shed salary? = Pick + roster + prospect?

b) assuming the do need to shed salary? = Roster + Prospect or pick + take salary?