Permanent Trade Proposal Thread

dlbalr

There are ways of increasing the return for Plekanec.  Habs can retain salary (up to 50% which I would do), take back a bad contract (depending on the plan moving forward), or add conditions to the pick like they did with Montoya, Mitchell and Drouin/Sergachev deals.  

2 minutes ago, Trizzak said:

Habs will retain half of Pleks' salary, so he'll have a $3 000 000 prorated salary at the deadline (like...$800 000?). And having an expiring contract is a plus to a playoff team that won't necessarily have the cap space to sign a guy like Pleks beyond this season, but still want to go all in for the playoffs this season. Add in a weak market for available rental centremen at the deadline and, well...

No one here is overvaluing Plekanec because he's on our favourite team. A 2nd round pick (MINIMUM) is the historical market price for guys like Pleks. 

Don't be surprised if Bergevin ends up getting less. I would give up more to take backlund and even eller before I do Plekenec.

2 minutes ago, Trizzak said:

Habs will retain half of Pleks' salary, so he'll have a $3 000 000 prorated salary at the deadline (like...$800 000?). And having an expiring contract is a plus to a playoff team that won't necessarily have the cap space to sign a guy like Pleks beyond this season, but still want to go all in for the playoffs this season. Add in a weak market for available rental centremen at the deadline and, well...

No one here is overvaluing Plekanec because he's on our favourite team. A 2nd round pick (MINIMUM) is the historical market price for guys like Pleks. 

But the talking heads who seem to actually know what's what all chimed in on Plekanec value and seems Habs would do well to just get a 2nd pick for him, I guess partly due to no offense being a big drawback.

1 minute ago, Metallica said:

Don't be surprised if Bergevin ends up getting less. I would give up more to take backlund and even eller before I do Plekenec.

Yeah. Every team would.

But neither of those players are available (unless Calgary goes on a huge losing streak in February.)

I can see a team offering up a 3rd and depending on how far they go in the playoffs it could turn into a 2nd.  But to give up a 2nd and a prospect for Plekenec I don't see it. If Bergevin can pull that off , I will be nice to him for all of next year.

4 minutes ago, DON said:

But the talking heads who seem to actually know what's what all chimed in on Plekanec value and seems Habs would do well to just get a 2nd pick for him, I guess partly due to no offense being a big drawback.

Granted. 

Ray Ferraro says he wouldn't be willing to go much higher than a 3rd round pick. He bases that off of Vanek's value. (I consider this a poor comparison)

Bob McKenzie says 2nd is possible, 3rd is likely, but he hasn't looked closely at the trade market yet.

Francois Gagnon says 2nd and 4th is possible, but it would require an arms race between a few teams. (I agree)

Pierre Lebrun says 3rd or a 4th, and also says prices change depending on the day.

Arpon Basu says if Pleks is only worth a 4th to other teams then he might as well not be traded at all, but also says that he has a hard time believing playoff teams won't want a defensive centre to shut down opposing teams' top centers. (I agree)

I'm looking at the Metro division alone and seeing 4 teams in the playoff mix that could use Pleks. Boston could add a defensive centre to try to choke out the Leafs offense. Tampa could want a defensive center to shut down Tavares in the 1st round. We're at 6 out of 10 teams pushing for the playoffs, and we haven't even left the Eastern conference yet. Winnipeg, Los Angeles, Minnesota, maybe San Jose, maybe Colorado... 

I just don't see how, in a sellers' market with a commodity that is not common, that Plekanec at 50% salary doesn't bring in a 2nd round pick.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Trizzak said:

Granted. 

Ray Ferraro says he wouldn't be willing to go much higher than a 3rd round pick. He bases that off of Vanek's value. (I consider this a poor comparison)

Bob McKenzie says 2nd is possible, 3rd is likely, but he hasn't looked closely at the trade market yet.

Francois Gagnon says 2nd and 4th is possible, but it would require an arms race between a few teams. (I agree)

Pierre Lebrun says 3rd or a 4th, and also says prices change depending on the day.

Arpon Basu says if Pleks is only worth a 4th to other teams then he might as well not be traded at all, but also says that he has a hard time believing playoff teams won't want a defensive centre to shut down opposing teams' top centers. (I agree)

I'm looking at the Metro division alone and seeing 4 teams in the playoff mix that could use Pleks. Boston could add a defensive centre to try to choke out the Leafs offense. Tampa could want a defensive center to shut down Tavares in the 1st round. We're at 6 out of 10 teams pushing for the playoffs, and we haven't even left the Eastern conference yet. Winnipeg, Los Angeles, Minnesota, maybe San Jose, maybe Colorado... 

I just don't see how, in a sellers' market with a commodity that is not common, that Plekanec at 50% salary doesn't bring in a 2nd round pick.

I happen to agree with a 3rd and a 4th. Like I said earlier I can only see a 2nd if a team gives up a 3rd and depending on how far they go that 3rd can turn into a 2nd.  Plekenec 3 years ago when we should of traded him I can see a 2nd, but not now.

1 hour ago, Metallica said:

And Washington is in first place and likely not trading Eller. 

And Calgary is in the playoff chase, and said to be a buyer and likely not trading their #2 C

6 minutes ago, Metallica said:

I happen to agree with a 3rd and a 4th. Like I said earlier I can only see a 2nd if a team gives up a 3rd and depending on how far they go that 3rd can turn into a 2nd.  Plekenec 3 years ago when we should of traded him I can see a 2nd, but not now.

3 years ago he would have got a first.

Look What Hanzal got last year... a first and a 2nd and a prospect, for a 35 point guy who can play 2-ways at c

19 minutes ago, Commandant said:

3 years ago he would have got a first.

Look What Hanzal got last year... a first and a 2nd and a prospect, for a 35 point guy who can play 2-ways at c

You can't compare hanzal with Plekenec. Hanzal is big and can score  and a number 2 center, Plekenec is small and a number 3 center. There 2 completely different players. Anyway you put it Plekenec is a over paid 3rd line checking player.

Did you miss the part where the value of a 2nd line C was a 1st, 2nd, and prospect.

And the value of Plekanec I'm saying is merely a 2nd. 

PS.... Plekanec has 20 points so far this season in 53 games.  Hanzal had 26 points on the day he was traded by the Coyotes in 51 games. 

If you can't get at least a 3rd, I say you don't trade him. He will be a fine 3rd line centre next year if the price is right. I haven't seen the definite lost step in his speed. All I've seen is his offense dry up. And an incredible defensive mind. I hate his salary,  but I do not hate plekanec. For the right price I would like him to remain or resign as a hab.  The likelihood of signing 2 top 6 centres next year is zero. I would like to see a 2nd or 3rd for him. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Commandant said:

Did you miss the part where the value of a 2nd line C was a 1st, 2nd, and prospect.

And the value of Plekanec I'm saying is merely a 2nd. 

PS.... Plekanec has 20 points so far this season in 53 games.  Hanzal had 26 points on the day he was traded by the Coyotes in 51 games. 

Hanzal is also 6'6" and people thought he was poised to break out into a legitimate top six centre once he got out of Arizona. It of course didn't happen and he's been a huge disaster but prior to the deadline he was highly sought after.

That said I think a team will eventually trade a second rounder for a $3 million Plekanec. Probably a 2019 pick. The Golden Knights have three so it would be easy for them to do. Tampa has an awful penalty kill so they could be a possibility. The Penguins might see him as someone who can stop their bleeding of goals. Heck put them on defence I bet he's better than most guys available.

5 hours ago, BCHabnut said:

If you can't get at least a 3rd, I say you don't trade him. He will be a fine 3rd line centre next year if the price is right. I haven't seen the definite lost step in his speed. All I've seen is his offense dry up. And an incredible defensive mind. I hate his salary,  but I do not hate plekanec. For the right price I would like him to remain or resign as a hab.  The likelihood of signing 2 top 6 centres next year is zero. I would like to see a 2nd or 3rd for him. 

You try and get more, but if the market isn’t there in the last 15 or 20 min, you move him for whatever  you can get.  At this stage, we need to accumulate picks/prospects for the future.

yiu don’t do what Burke did with Cammalari and say I’m not moving my UFA because I didn’t get the price I wanted.  And no, we need to change the team next year, if we can’t get a younger shut down centre that can win draws that’s another issue all together.

7 hours ago, BCHabnut said:

Make your trade and tell him you will talk in late june when the window opens.

7 hours ago, BCHabnut said:

You're dreaming if you think Plekanec is getting a second and third rounder

Even a second rounder is pushing it, but I think it could happen 

It's time to start a new era in Montreal. They don't need Plekanec and his defensive game. This team is going to be rebuilding, not pushing for a playoff spot. Let him go to a team where he can slot into 3/4 C and actually fill a void. 

Let the kids play. You need to see what Mccarron can do in the 3 C or even Audette. I don't like Mccarron's development, but now is the time where we need to see what these young players actually are. 

It's time to move on

Edited by Habopotamus

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

Audette is not an NHLer, and McCarron is not a third liner IMO. 

Next year things can change. Probably not, but it could happen. 

All that I'm saying is let's not go back down the route of keeping over the hill players. I get it if this team is close to contention and in need of a shut down guy, but that's not where this team is at. 

4 hours ago, Habopotamus said:

You're dreaming if you think Plekanec is getting a second and third rounder

Even a second rounder is pushing it, but I think it could happen 

It's time to start a new era in Montreal. They don't need Plekanec and his defensive game. This team is going to be rebuilding, not pushing for a playoff spot. Let him go to a team where he can slot into 3/4 C and actually fill a void. 

Let the kids play. You need to see what Mccarron can do in the 3 C or even Audette. I don't like Mccarron's development, but now is the time where we need to see what these young players actually are. 

It's time to move on

Show me where I said a 2nd AND a 3rd. I said if you can't get at least a third hang onto him. There is nobody in the system as good as him at centre. Its not like he is taking the spot of someone waiting to step up.

As I said in a previous post, I think it's possible to get a 2nd for Plekanec.  Heck, I think it might even be possible to do better than a second depending on the what Bergevin is willing to do and if he can find the right fit.  I think there are a lot of teams that would be interested in Plekanec's services (especially at 50% retained).

Columbus - The Jackets could be a good fit for Plekanec.  They've been rumored to be looking for a center all year (although I think they were looking for someone a little higher end).  Plekanec makes sense though, as he brings veteran leadership and playoff experience to a young team with very little playoff exposure.  I'm wondering if the Jackets would consider re-signing him if he does well.  Habs could always ask for a 2nd rounder this year (Jackets don't have a 2nd in 2019 otherwise I would ask for that) and a conditional pick if he re-signs (there's nothing to lose for either team here.  If he does re-sign it means the Jackets liked him, if he doesn't the Jackets give up nothing but the original 2nd in 2018).

Pittsburgh -  Another team that is being rumored to be in the market for a 3rd line center.  If the Habs are willing to retain 50% I don't see why Plekanec wouldn't be attractive to the Pens.  He fits exactly what they're looking for.  I could see the Pens giving up a 2nd.  If the Habs are willing to take back a bad contract like Hagelin, who knows what the Pens might be willing to give up.  Maybe a 1st?

Tampa Bay - The Lightning have a struggling PK and Plekanec could certainly help.  The only problem is that the Bolts have a lot of depth at center, so they may not be all that interested.  Again though, if they are,  could see a 2nd rounder coming from them as well.

Chicago, Edmonton, Los Angeles, New Jersey, New York I, San Jose, and Vegas could also be good fits and show interest.  Anaheim, Boston, Carolina, and Toronto could kick the tires IMO.

1 hour ago, BCHabnut said:

Show me where I said a 2nd AND a 3rd. I said if you can't get at least a third hang onto him. There is nobody in the system as good as him at centre. Its not like he is taking the spot of someone waiting to step up.

Sorry, I thought you said second and a third. 

Sign him for what reason? At this point in his career he's meant to be on a contending team with players that produce offense, but are missing a player that can be put in a lesser role and focus soley on defense. That's not the Habs.  

3 hours ago, Habopotamus said:

Sorry, I thought you said second and a third. 

Sign him for what reason? At this point in his career he's meant to be on a contending team with players that produce offense, but are missing a player that can be put in a lesser role and focus soley on defense. That's not the Habs.  

I understand that everyone wants to tear it down and start over. I just think with the core that this team has,  it needs a retool. Not a rebuild.  Obviously if the return is right, no player should be off the table, but ultimately I would like to trade Plek for a 3rd or better and try to sign him as a ufa. We are all proposing that we sell off and stock up on picks and prospects.  The developement system is broken though. I would like to see some new pro scouts, because the pro scouting is terrible. I would like to see something happen in the system to improve development as well.  I would like to see an impact player traded to get some top 6 centre prospects. But I can't help but think that on a 2 million dollar contract,  plekanec would be a great mentor for those youngsters. I don't think this team is so broken that they need to sell it all off. 

15 hours ago, BCHabnut said:

I understand that everyone wants to tear it down and start over. I just think with the core that this team has,  it needs a retool. Not a rebuild.  Obviously if the return is right, no player should be off the table, but ultimately I would like to trade Plek for a 3rd or better and try to sign him as a ufa. We are all proposing that we sell off and stock up on picks and prospects.  The developement system is broken though. I would like to see some new pro scouts, because the pro scouting is terrible. I would like to see something happen in the system to improve development as well.  I would like to see an impact player traded to get some top 6 centre prospects. But I can't help but think that on a 2 million dollar contract,  plekanec would be a great mentor for those youngsters. I don't think this team is so broken that they need to sell it all off. 

I agree, but that principle shouldn't get in the way of asset maximization. Whether or not we re-sign Pleks, he has to be traded. And I for one will be surprised if he commands less than a 2nd. As you may remember, I also favour rolling MaxPac in return for younger assets too. 

I am in favor of a pacioretty trade if it can land a top centre prospect or a future number 1 d prospect.  But that's the only way. I'm not in favor of getting him out because he isn't a leader or shouldn't be captain. Cc I'm not saying you see it that way. 

2 hours ago, BCHabnut said:

I am in favor of a pacioretty trade if it can land a top centre prospect or a future number 1 d prospect.  But that's the only way. I'm not in favor of getting him out because he isn't a leader or shouldn't be captain. Cc I'm not saying you see it that way. 

Right, I don't - I hate that 'get rid of so and so' stuff, as if just expelling a guy makes a team better. Trade Patches to get valuable younger assets back.