Permanent Trade Proposal Thread

dlbalr

To Edmonton

P. Danault

K. Alzner

1st or 2nd

To Montreal

RNH

Alzner is terrible on the Habs but he’s not the worst player to have on offensively gifted teams like Washington has been and Edmonton has the potential to be. Those types of teams could use stay at home defensemen. 

With Brandon Davidson on the top pairing, albeit a right defenseman, they’re obviously looking for help on the back end as well. 

Alzner would be an upgrade on some of their defenseman and Danault could be helpful at low cost. 

Alzner’s salary is higher than it should be, but it’s not astronomical and they could always find other ways to manage their cap space after the move. 

26 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Sorry, I have to be honest, I see absolutely zero reason for Edmonton to make this move. 

They can get a lot better defenceman for RNH than Alzner and it wouldn't be a player that makes their cap situation worse. 

I still think if we went to Edmonton with a maxpac-Weber-Gallagher type offer we’d be able to get Draisaitl-klefbom+ or maybe even draisatil-Larsson+.  

I want a better centre than RNH.

i can’t see anyone taking alzner unless we eat half of his bloated salary.

I agree Edmonton very well may not make the trade but I also think Alzner holds some value around the league. I’ve never really liked him, but he’s serviceable and well respected. I get the feeling that most Habs fans, even knowledgeable ones, undervalue him. 

Maybe Klefbomb could be moved somewhere else, or be part of the return. They then get a nice and cheap third line center in Danault, as well as a 1st round pick in addition to Alzner, which is nothing to sniff at considering they’re also shedding the 6 million contract talked about. 

7 hours ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

I agree Edmonton very well may not make the trade but I also think Alzner holds some value around the league. I’ve never really liked him, but he’s serviceable and well respected. I get the feeling that most Habs fans, even knowledgeable ones, undervalue him. 

Maybe Klefbomb could be moved somewhere else, or be part of the return. They then get a nice and cheap third line center in Danault, as well as a 1st round pick in addition to Alzner, which is nothing to sniff at considering they’re also shedding the 6 million contract talked about. 

Would you move a #2 centre and a 3/4 dman for a #3 centre and a #6 dman?   Even with the pick.  Even chiarelli is not that dumb.

From the Montreal side, why would you want to move a lottery pick in a year where we are likely going to be in top 5, when again, we really don’t get a true number 1 centre???

2 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Would you move a #2 centre and a 3/4 dman for a #3 centre and a #6 dman?   Even with the pick.  Even chiarelli is not that dumb.

From the Montreal side, why would you want to move a lottery pick in a year where we are likely going to be in top 5, when again, we really don’t get a true number 1 centre???

I think a few of my points were proven there  because Alzner is not a #6 dman, and wasn’t when he was on a contender. 

Then you’ve given reasons why both teams shouldn’t do the trade. Et voila.  That’s how most realistic trades should be. 

RNH makes $6 million per season

Alzner makes $4.625 million per (and is signed for 2 years longer than RNH)

Danault is a restricted free and will likely get something similar to Eller (3.5 million)

The Oilers are looking to shed salary. 

You still have not given any justification for how this makes sense... and no, they can shed elsewhere is not a justification.   They can likely get a cheaper (and better) defenceman like a Nutivarra or Ryan Murray from the Blue Jackets who also need a centre. 

14 minutes ago, Commandant said:

RNH makes $6 million per season

Alzner makes $4.625 million per (and is signed for 2 years longer than RNH)

Danault is a restricted free and will likely get something similar to Eller (3.5 million)

The Oilers are looking to shed salary. 

You still have not given any justification for how this makes sense... and no, they can shed elsewhere is not a justification.   They can likely get a cheaper (and better) defenceman like a Nutivarra or Ryan Murray from the Blue Jackets who also need a centre. 

I gave it a justification of making sense because they could use help on the defensive end, regardless of salary.

They are looking to shed his salary because of all the money they have invested in centermen. It’s not like they aren’t going to spend money on any other player in another position.

Alzner is defensive minded and Edmonton struggles defensively.

Darnell Nurse has been extremely efficient for them but Alzner could slot in as their 3rd or 4th defenseman. They then get cap relief in a serviceable centerman in Danault who won’t command as much as Nugent Hopkins.

I think the only thing the oilers would need to do to make it realistic would be to shed Klefbomb’s salary as well. If that means coming to us in return, they receive an excellent 1st round draft pick.

I don’t see why a first round draft pick wouldn’t entice them. If another team has a better offer, so be it.

Klefbom is better than Alzner....  RNH is better than Danault.  Neither is really a debate. 

so they downgrade at C, downgrade on D, and take on basically the same money to do it.  All for a pick. 

For a team that has had a bazillion picks lately, and is looking to end the rebuilding and start winnning, how does that make sense?

The only hope we have in  saying goodbye to Alzner is if he is taken in the next exspansion draft so they can be over the floor cap.

Other wise Alzner should only be used  as a 5th D on this team. Give him 12-15mins a night. Right now because of lack of depth we are over using him and you can see his weaknesses.

I think Weber would be a solid fit on edmonton.

3 minutes ago, Metallica said:

The only hope we have in  saying goodbye to Alzner is if he is taken in the next exspansion draft so they can be over the floor cap.

Other wise Alzner should only be used  as a 5th D on this team. Give him 12-15mins a night. Right now because of lack of depth we are over using him and you can see his weaknesses.

I think Weber would be a solid fit on edmonton.

What about Washington’s lack of depth when he was their #1 left defenseman? 

16 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Klefbom is better than Alzner....  RNH is better than Danault.  Neither is really a debate. 

so they downgrade at C, downgrade on D, and take on basically the same money to do it.  All for a pick. 

For a team that has had a bazillion picks lately, and is looking to end the rebuilding and start winnning, how does that make sense?

Then let’s play this game. Is there any proposal that comes to mind which acquires RNH without trading away Pacioretty or Gallagher? (Or Galchenyuk)

8 minutes ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

What about Washington’s lack of depth when he was their #1 left defenseman? 

Washington knew how to use him and hide his weaknesses. We don't, here in Montreal we seem to do the opposite with players. we seem to hide players strengths, and exposed players weaknesses.

11 minutes ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

Then let’s play this game. Is there any proposal that comes to mind which acquires RNH without trading away Pacioretty or Gallagher? (Or Galchenyuk)

Weber +Rose 

For

RNH

Our problem with Eller was that he teased us with flashes of offensive talent. Sometimes you really could envision him as this big, rangy top-6 C. This created a huge debate (remember?) about how Therrien was misusing him, how when he (inevitably) failed to produce it was the Habs' fault, etc.. The debate was split between those who blamed the organization and those, like me, who blamed Eller. The guy is what he is, a capable third-line checking C, no more than that. As some have noted, we have Danault to replace him. So who cares about Eller? Not me. A completely interchangeable piece that some fans irrationally fell in love with.

37 minutes ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

It's unfortunate that EDM is so far out of the playoff race. If they were competitive, they would probably look at Pacioretty with hungry eyes - as the crucial piece that could put them over the top. I'll bet we could have flipped them Patches and Pleks in return for RNH and significant additional young assets/prospects/picks under those circumstances. But now EDM is probably going to wait the season out before making any big moves, and will not be the Cup-fevered buyer they would otherwise be. It's really too bad for us, because there is so obviously a deal there to be made.

45 minutes ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

No, you have to give quality to get quality. 

28 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Our problem with Eller was that he teased us with flashes of offensive talent. Sometimes you really could envision him as this big, rangy top-6 C. This created a huge debate (remember?) about how Therrien was misusing him, how when he (inevitably) failed to produce it was the Habs' fault, etc.. The debate was split between those who blamed the organization and those, like me, who blamed Eller. The guy is what he is, a capable third-line checking C, no more than that. As some have noted, we have Danault to replace him. So who cares about Eller? Not me. A completely interchangeable piece that some fans irrationally fell in love with.

It's unfortunate that EDM is so far out of the playoff race. If they were competitive, they would probably look at Pacioretty with hungry eyes - as the crucial piece that could put them over the top. I'll bet we could have flipped them Patches and Pleks in return for RNH and significant additional young assets/prospects/picks under those circumstances. But now EDM is probably going to wait the season out before making any big moves, and will not be the Cup-fevered buyer they would otherwise be. It's really too bad for us, because there is so obviously a deal there to be made.

We aren't the only team who will be after RNH.

Look at Columbus, Look at San Jose, look at a few other teams as well.... 

You are going to have to give something significant to beat those teams. 

14 minutes ago, Commandant said:

No, you have to give quality to get quality. 

The thing is that Weber and Pacioretty are higher quality than Nugent Hopkins.

It’s also not true that you have to give one of those players for a team looking to shed salary.

Danault

Lehkonen

1st round pick

That type of trade should get it done if you don’t like Alzner’s contract. If it’s still a no, add a 2nd rounder. If there’s a will, there’s a way. 

6 minutes ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

The thing is that Weber and Pacioretty are higher quality than Nugent Hopkins.

It’s also not true that you have to give one of those players for a team looking to shed salary.

Danault

Lehkonen

1st round pick

That type of trade should get it done if you don’t like Alzner’s contract. If it’s still a no, add a 2nd rounder. If there’s a will, there’s a way. 

No reason for either team to trade with each other till the off season.

Just now, Commandant said:

So you'd rather give a first round pick... when we are going to be picking in the lottery, then give a winger who will be a 30 year old UFA in a year and a bit?

What?

Our 30 year old captain who is also our best goal scorer, rather than a hypothetical lottery pick that has little guarantee of being extremely high. In order to acquire Nugent Hopkins? Although I didn’t specify that the 1st round pick would be this year, yes I would. And I’m fine with being in the minority on that. Pacioretty will regress but he is one of the best goal scorers in the league. 

1 minute ago, DON said:

No reason for either team to trade with each other till the off season.

This I agree with.