Permanent Trade Proposal Thread

dlbalr

So your plan is to let the other teams spend their free agent money on july 1st and then trade him when the market is far more limited in terms of teams with the cap space to make the move?

That sounds like a great idea. 

1 hour ago, Trizzak said:

St Louis is in need of centremen, and the word is that Thomas will have every opportunity to make the team out of camp. 

That may change if the Blues get someone they want in free agency, but Thomas doesn't appear to be currently on the market. 

Nolan and Barbashev are solid prospects. 

I don't know then...

Vilardi is one for sure. I don't know how high his ceiling is?... L.A seems like another good fit for Pacioretty though 

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

So your plan is to let the other teams spend their free agent money on july 1st and then trade him when the market is far more limited in terms of teams with the cap space to make the move?

That sounds like a great idea. 

No my plan A is to sign players in free agency that I target. But if for some reason they don't sign with the team and theres not a free agent out there that fills my teams needs, I got a plan B which is trading Pacioretty.  I am not going to hold on to him tell the deadline and let it become  a media circus all season, like last year. I could fill holes July 1st and then use Pacioretty to complete other holes. Or I could miss completely on July 1st and then need to address more needs with a Pacioretty trade. You just never know, but you must always have a plan A-B-C..... Look what happened with Markov and radulov, not having a back up plan killed the season.

And what happened with Markov and Radulov is why other teams aren't holding cap space for very long past July 1st, and why you won't be able to trade Pacioretty for full value once that date passes.  The number of suitors with cap space remaining will have drastically decreased as other teams execute their plan B, C, D, etc.... 

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Commandant said:

And what happened with Markov and Radulov is why other teams aren't holding cap space for very long past July 1st, and why you won't be able to trade Pacioretty for full value once that date passes.  The number of suitors with cap space remaining will have drastically decreased as other teams execute their plan B, C, D, etc.... 

I wonder if last year was the time to trade him. Now he is basically a glorified rental. It seems like he represented higher value when he had more than one playoff remaining at that bargain-basement cap hit. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I wonder if last year was the time to trade him. Now he is basically a glorified rental. It seems like he represented higher value when he had more than one playoff remaining at that bargain-basement cap hit. 

You trade him when someone meets your price.  Look what Rick Nash got as a rental.

29 minutes ago, Commandant said:

You trade him when someone meets your price.  Look what Rick Nash got as a rental.

What about what Calgary got for cammelleri by waiting for their price at the deadline?

3 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

What about what Calgary got for cammelleri by waiting for their price at the deadline?

Brian Burke is a stubborn asshole and that was 4 years ago? 

I think the last two years are far more illustrative of NHL deals than that is.  

Hanzal, Nash, E. Kane, Shattenkirk, etc....

Look at how all the trade talk affected his game last year and he had an off year. What if he gets off to that same slow start,  And his value goes down. What if he gets hurt around the trade deadline and we can't trade him, then what?

Trade him before the season starts get what you can and you don't have to worry. Right now he has a high value, you don't know what that value will be at the deadline.

the trade talk effected his game? seems like another narrative...

But sure, right now he has a high value.  If someone offers you a package that is a "high value" you trade him.  No issue. 

What if no one offers you "high value", what then? Trade him for less cause you are scared his value might go down?

The danger is that you end up like Mike Gillis when he insisted on only trading Luongo for 'fair value' and was left standing there with his weiner hanging out. However, you're basically right. Panic doesn't help. Worst case scenario he's dealt at the deadline and hopefully some desperate would-be contender shills out.

11 minutes ago, Commandant said:

But sure, right now he has a high value.  If someone offers you a package that is a "high value" you trade him.  No issue. 

What if no one offers you "high value", what then? Trade him for less cause you are scared his value might go down?

Yes it seemed like he checked out thinking that he was going to be traded.

1 hour ago, Metallica said:

Look at how all the trade talk affected his game last year and he had an off year. What if he gets off to that same slow start,  And his value goes down. What if he gets hurt around the trade deadline and we can't trade him, then what?

Extend him at a lower rate.

37 minutes ago, Commandant said:

I mean... Max did say the rumours affected him. It's the answer everyone would give, but he did say it. 

2 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

The time to trade him was one year into his sweetheart deal. He was a very young high scoring left winger on a great contract. There was bound to be a GM who would have given up an excellent centre for him.

As for today, it all depends on the market. Right now the talk is that the top wingers available for trade are Jeff Skinner, Max Pacioretty, and Mike Hoffman. Calgary and Florida are two teams we know interested in a winger. Both were hunting one at the deadline and balked at the asking prices. Florida is looking mighty ugly with how much success Reilly and Marchesseault are having, so a good story like adding Pacioretty would be beneficial to them. Do you keep the asking price high, or do you get what you can out of them now before they can change their mind?

Honestly if we're getting what New York got for Rick Nash at the deadline, I'm not happy. I want more than an RFA Spooner, a salary dump, and a B prospect. I want closer to what the Sabres got for Tomas Vanek: Moulson, a 1st, and 2nd. Doesn't have to be a three time 30 goal scorer, but give me a prospect with that potential level.

11 hours ago, Commandant said:

Moulson was never good though. 

He was a product of Tavares.  I think his career after being traded has proven that.  

Is it more playing with Tavares or more checking out once you get that big pay day like most players do?

Most players don't check out..... the narratives that its always just try a little harder, as if professionals aren't trying are exhausting....

The guy didn't even make the NHL, and was a middling minor league journeyman til one training camp he found himself on Tavares wing at the age of 28.   I'm pretty sure it was all Tavares. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

Honestly if we're getting what New York got for Rick Nash at the deadline, I'm not happy. I want more than an RFA Spooner, a salary dump, and a B prospect. I want closer to what the Sabres got for Tomas Vanek: Moulson, a 1st, and 2nd. Doesn't have to be a three time 30 goal scorer, but give me a prospect with that potential level.

The Rangers got a 1st round pick in the Nash deal, in addition to Spooner and the B prospect. 

Spooner > Moulson
1st round picks are even. 
and the 2nd vs the B prospect is about the same. 

I'm not sure how the Rangers did worse than what the Sabres got for Vanek.... and Vanek was younger, and scoring at a higher level than Nash. 

19 minutes ago, Commandant said:

The Rangers got a 1st round pick in the Nash deal, in addition to Spooner and the B prospect. 

Spooner > Moulson
1st round picks are even. 
and the 2nd vs the B prospect is about the same. 

I'm not sure how the Rangers did worse than what the Sabres got for Vanek.... and Vanek was younger, and scoring at a higher level than Nash. 

At that return, I would only trade Patches if we are sure Tavares is not signing with the CH. draft picks one or two years away from being quality NHL-ers doesn't align with what the team needs.

12 minutes ago, Metallica said:

They're players who only play hard when they're in a contract year.

False.

People have done research on these things

~50% of players do better in a contract year, then 2 years out. 

~50% of players do better two years out from a contract, then they do in a contract year. 

The facts don't support the narratives. 

20 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

At that return, I would only trade Patches if we are sure Tavares is not signing with the CH. draft picks one or two years away from being quality NHL-ers doesn't align with what the team needs.

Montreal can't afford to sign Tavares this season, then resign Pacioretty next season. 

If this team was in a position where they were in contention for the Stanley cup, then I guess maybe you risk keeping Pacioretty and let him play out his contract, but the Habs are not there.

43 minutes ago, Habopotamus said:

Montreal can't afford to sign Tavares this season, then resign Pacioretty next season. 

If this team was in a position where they were in contention for the Stanley cup, then I guess maybe you risk keeping Pacioretty and let him play out his contract, but the Habs are not there.

I am fine trading Pacioretty 

but it we need to get a quality NHLer in return: center or LD

plus other pieces

• Upvote 1