Permanent Trade Proposal Thread

dlbalr

19 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I don’t get the fascination with pageau. He’s a third liner and an overpaid one at that.

Cuz he plays like the bastard child of Crosby and McDavid whenever he plays the Habs?

The longest 30 minute bus ride I ever had was after the Heritage Classic last year, with half the bus chanting "Pageau" instead of "Ole" non-stop.

1 hour ago, lazy26 said:

Cuz he plays like the bastard child of Crosby and McDavid whenever he plays the Habs?

The longest 30 minute bus ride I ever had was after the Heritage Classic last year, with half the bus chanting "Pageau" instead of "Ole" non-stop.

I rode the bus from Kanata to Ottawa after the Habs eliminated the Sens in game 6 a few ago. Me and a few Habs fans had the same chant but the context was the total opposite. Perhaps the chant you heard was a result of my bus ride Haha 

If the Habs are skeptical that they'll be able to be big spenders in free agency, do they turn around and take on a bad contract?  Minnesota is trying to attach Tyler Ennis and his $4.6M (for one year) in trade talks regarding some of their better players.  If they can't move him, there's a good chance they buy him out.  Do the Habs consider taking him on in exchange for adding another asset?

To Montreal:

Tyler Ennis

2019 2nd round pick

To Minnesota:

Antoine Waked (simply to clear out a contract)

The Habs pick up a 2nd for their troubles and then can decide whether or not they want to keep Ennis and hope that he fits in better (or well enough to trade him with retention midseason) or buy him out.  The cap hit for the buyout would be $2.17M in 2018-19 and $1.22M in 2019-20.  Is it worth it to effectively buy a second rounder?

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

If the Habs are skeptical that they'll be able to be big spenders in free agency, do they turn around and take on a bad contract?  Minnesota is trying to attach Tyler Ennis and his $4.6M (for one year) in trade talks regarding some of their better players.  If they can't move him, there's a good chance they buy him out.  Do the Habs consider taking him on in exchange for adding another asset?

To Montreal:

Tyler Ennis

2019 2nd round pick

To Minnesota:

Antoine Waked (simply to clear out a contract)

The Habs pick up a 2nd for their troubles and then can decide whether or not they want to keep Ennis and hope that he fits in better (or well enough to trade him with retention midseason) or buy him out.  The cap hit for the buyout would be $2.17M in 2018-19 and $1.22M in 2019-20.  Is it worth it to effectively buy a second rounder?

Its a tricky one, I see the logic in it on one hand, I saw the damage that can be done with a collection of 2nd rounders for myself this draft, every 1st round talent that slips becomes a potential pick. There is also my lack of understanding why a guy like Ennis, who is literally built for this current NHL game, struggled in Minny, that maybe he could prop himself back up to a Paul Byron status at least.

I think we need to see what happens with the big ticket price names we hear about Montreal being interested in from Tavares and Stasny to JVR by the sounds of things and see what we use our cap on before we can effectively decide who we're doing favors for with our huge cap space for draft picks. But I certainly like this idea better than the Lucic absorption, it at least has a chance to work out with the player, plus it offers a value pick in the 2nd round with much less cap implications for us. 

49 minutes ago, Link67 said:

I think we need to see what happens with the big ticket price names we hear about Montreal being interested in from Tavares and Stasny to JVR by the sounds of things and see what we use our cap on before we can effectively decide who we're doing favors for with our huge cap space for draft picks.

Here's the kicker though - if Minnesota can't unload him and instead plans to buy him out, they have to do so by Friday.  This won't be an option available once July hits.

3 hours ago, dlbalr said:

Here's the kicker though - if Minnesota can't unload him and instead plans to buy him out, they have to do so by Friday.  This won't be an option available once July hits.

Unless they go to salary arbitration with one of their players, which is apparently looking possible with Zucker.

Would 2019 1st and 2nd picks and 'good' prospect be fair for O'Reilly?

(plus $7.5m Molson bucks)

Edited by DON
added comment

A St. Louis Sports Radio Host is saying that a deal will be announced after O'Reilly's bonus is paid. 

Basically

O'Reilly, Alex Nylander to St. Louis

for 

Robert Thomas, Vladimir Sobotka, Anton Andersson, 2019 first round pick to Buffalo

Might

https://twitter.com/buffa82

its on his account. Might be more pieces. 

The Blues would be getting Alex Nylander too? Wow.

Buffalo gets the first round pick they want, Robert Thomas (makes sense, he's been the hot trade bait for months now), a Sobotka cap dump, and a former 7th round pick.

Nylander is overpayment from what I can see. Why would the Blues first rounder in 2019 be worth that much? Will be an awful trade for Buffalo.

5 hours ago, Commandant said:

I don't want to touch our 2019 picks. Not after this season. 

Who does? But have limited options and a healthy normal playing Weber and Price in the lineup is enough to put them in middle of pack, so mid 1st isn't crazy painful to finally add a pretty good centre.

7 minutes ago, DON said:

Who does? But have limited options and a healthy normal playing Weber and Price in the lineup is enough to put them in middle of pack, so mid 1st isn't crazy painful to finally add a pretty good centre.

Is oreilly good enough to be the number one centre on a stanley cup winning squad?  I dont think he is.

I'd rather not give up the future.for a player who just makes us mediocre and not a true contender.

If it was a bigger fish... i could see moving that but id rather keep building than accept being a little better but not good enough 

7 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Is oreilly good enough to be the number one centre on a stanley cup winning squad?  I dont think he is.

I'd rather not give up the future.for a player who just makes us mediocre and not a true contender.

If it was a bigger fish... i could see moving that but id rather keep building than accept being a little better but not good enough 

Vegas just went to the final with Karlsson as their best centre.. and yeah he had a great year but he's not as good as ROR. 

The prize isn't won by having the best centre, it's the whole collection. ROR would be a HUGE upgrade to this team and make the collective better.. Drouin could be a top line LW, more faceoff wins, etc.. 

This team has Carey Price. 

This team has Shea Weber. 

Add more pieces like ROR and anything can happen.

11 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Doubt Habs could get a bigger fish at the moment and an upgrade under contract for a few years would give them a fighting chance and still have #67 to extend or trade for that LH d-man

8 minutes ago, DON said:

We had Price at his best and that couldn't get us past the 2nd round of the playoffs. This team has to many holes and isn't deep enough in the system or NHL club to make a run at a cup. Our answers aren't going to come July 1st because its such  a weak free agency market. If theres some good young guys out there that can help us I would try and sign them, but other wise save the money for next year's free agency, its much deep talent wise. If we hold back this year try and get another top 5 pick in next year's draft, then with the free agency next year we could turn this around in about 2-3 years. Keep the cap space help other teams  by taking on there bad contracts that are about to expire and collect picks along with them. If we could get about 2 or 3 1st round picks next year's draft we will be golden.

5 minutes ago, Metallica said:

We had Price at his best and that couldn't get us past the 2nd round of the playoffs. This team has to many holes and isn't deep enough in the system or NHL club to make a run at a cup. Our answers aren't going to come July 1st because its such  a weak free agency market. If theres some good young guys out there that can help us I would try and sign them, but other wise save the money for next year's free agency, its much deep talent wise. If we hold back this year try and get another top 5 pick in next year's draft, then with the free agency next year we could turn this around in about 2-3 years. Keep the cap space help other teams  by taking on there bad contracts that are about to expire and collect picks along with them. If we could get about 2 or 3 1st round picks next year's draft we will be golden.

I said middle of pack, not even a playoff team necessarily.

(but Habs didn't have O'Reilly at centre before neither)

Edited by DON
afterthought

13 minutes ago, DON said:

I said middle of pack, not even a playoff team necessarily.

(but Habs didn't have O'Reilly at centre before neither)

Buffalo had O'Reilly where did they finish last year?

49 minutes ago, TheDriveFor25 said:

Vegas just went to the final with Karlsson as their best centre.. and yeah he had a great year but he's not as good as ROR. 

The prize isn't won by having the best centre, it's the whole collection. ROR would be a HUGE upgrade to this team and make the collective better.. Drouin could be a top line LW, more faceoff wins, etc.. 

This team has Carey Price. 

This team has Shea Weber. 

Add more pieces like ROR and anything can happen.

25 years of just get in and we have a chance

Its not working

Try more than just get in

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Commandant said:

25 years of just get in and we have a chance

Its not working

Try more than just get in

The problem is this organization and some fans rely on the pipe dream that just because we have Price and if he is healthy then that alone is good enough.

The reality is that this organization has no depth to make a playoff run or try and win a cup. This team has to many holes to fill and the answer isn't in free agency with a weak market. This answer isn't in any trades because our biggest trade chip is Pacioretty and him alone wont fill all the holes with a trade.

This year was a step in the right direction with our draft, with the hiring of some really good coaches. Next year could be even bigger step with a deep draft when it comes to centers. Plus the free agent market next year could be deep also.

Like I said in a earlier post if we could get another top 5 pick plus add 1 or 2 more 1st round picks to the mix, we can fill more holes on the team. Plus  see who's there in free agency, we could turn this around in 2 years time.

But and this is a big but ...... We need to realize who this team really is.