Permanent Trade Proposal Thread

dlbalr

3 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

He hasn’t had a true number 1 centre, but until last year he always had an elite puck moving dman.

I agree fully with the fact that there are holes in our lineup and that they haven’t really been addressed in the short term. With that being said technically speaking, Petry is a puck moving defenseman by comparative standards to other defensemen in the league. I can’t argue that he’s really a #3 playing a #1 role though.

Pacioretty himself mentioned Radulov’s departure as having influenced his season negatively. He said that Radulov was strong on the puck and allowed Pacioretty more space. I think he’ll be great this year and then moved anyway. Armia is an interesting choice on the right. 

15 hours ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

If it was up to me I would be playing him with Peca and Scherbak, but I doubt that happens.

At first I though you were joking, but that may not be a bad choice. In training camp I would try, to see if they can create magic:

Pacioretty-Evans-Armia

When market value for wingers is so low why are we not acquiring one so that we can ldo be with a low return on Pacioretty?

Ex: We acquire Skinner for similar to what Buffalo gave up, then trade Pacioretty. We don’t lose because we immediately replace that 30 goal winger, while getting rid of the Pacioretty drama. 

How are there not more GMs taking advantage of it? Hell, even if we had to give Carolina more than Buffalo did, it sets a standard for what Pacioretty would cost.

can anyone help me out here?

I’ve been on my own island when it comes to Pacioretty but I don’t think any type of drama should be the reason we trade Pacioretty. That’s what I always feared the most. We should be trading him because he is hypothetically truly about to reach his best before date and won’t deserve his impending raise and term. That point is the one that’s up for debate. The Canadiens themselves have created the drama more than Pacioretty as they’ve apparently stated that they won’t extend Pacioretty and are looking to move him.

Teams don’t trade elite players on expiring contracts in August or September. If they do, that’s an issue in and of itself and quite honestly I’m surprised and didn’t expect the hurricanes to trade Skinner when they did. They got a bad return in my opinion and everyone’s acting surprised. We should be holding on to Pacioretty, see how the season plays out and look for the best return we can get at the deadline, which at absolute worst should be compareable to what Skinner’s return was anyway. The best case scenario is an even better return sometime during the season or a change of heart between Pacioretty and the team (based on recent history, this won’t happen). That the Habs shot themselves in the foot with such bold proclamations, is their own fault but I don’t like the thought of letting go of Pacioretty ‘ASAP’ at this point in time.

1 hour ago, Meller93 said:

When market value for wingers is so low why are we not acquiring one so that we can ldo be with a low return on Pacioretty?

Ex: We acquire Skinner for similar to what Buffalo gave up, then trade Pacioretty. We don’t lose because we immediately replace that 30 goal winger, while getting rid of the Pacioretty drama. 

How are there not more GMs taking advantage of it? Hell, even if we had to give Carolina more than Buffalo did, it sets a standard for what Pacioretty would cost.

Skinner will also be UFA next summer, so why are you adding him? to lose him as a free agent?

3 hours ago, Meller93 said:

Skinner had a NMC and was only giving Carolina like 4 choices. Surprising that Buffalo was on the list but he might have seen it as an opportunity for a great extension if King Eichel likes him.

1 hour ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

Skinner had a NMC and was only giving Carolina like 4 choices. Surprising that Buffalo was on the list but he might have seen it as an opportunity for a great extension if King Eichel likes him.

The no movement clause does it. Didnt remember how few teams he had.

As for becoming a UFA, fair enough. Definitely don’t want to lose him for nothing. The only thing I’m trying to get at is if the market is so cheap for quality wingers we should try to replace Pacioretty cheaply so that losing him cheaply doesn’t sting as bad.

2 hours ago, Meller93 said:

The no movement clause does it. Didnt remember how few teams he had.

As for becoming a UFA, fair enough. Definitely don’t want to lose him for nothing. The only thing I’m trying to get at is if the market is so cheap for quality wingers we should try to replace Pacioretty cheaply so that losing him cheaply doesn’t sting as bad.

It's a good idea in principle, but I do not know if it can be actually done.

I looked at something similar, teams that are known to be looking for more production form LW (trade destination for Patches) and in return getting a 20g LW or an older 30g LW ( Louis Eriksson in Vancouver, etc) and a decent prospect... it's not obvious to find a match. Specially without knowing any recent issues with the LW coming back

15 hours ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

The Canadiens themselves have created the drama more than Pacioretty as they’ve apparently stated that they won’t extend Pacioretty and are looking to move him.

Habs didn't state that in public, a French reporter did and no doubt it was off the record item and that reporter is likely on their shite-list now.

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/8/2018 at 10:10 AM, DON said:

Habs didn't state that in public, a French reporter did and no doubt it was off the record item and that reporter is likely on their shite-list now.

I doubt it, MB has completely mishandled this whole thing and now the team's chances of getting anything in return is limited. GMs will take advantage of the fact that no deal will be done and the team does not want him.  How much did Montreal get for Patrick Roy?  MB created this mess and should be fired for it. You don't have to let that level of details out to a reporter.  Their job is reporting the news and getting the details.  You can't blame a reporter because the GM is an idiot. 

10 hours ago, Richard09 said:

I doubt it, MB has completely mishandled this whole thing and now the team's chances of getting anything in return is limited. GMs will take advantage of the fact that no deal will be done and the team does not want him.  How much did Montreal get for Patrick Roy?  MB created this mess and should be fired for it. You don't have to let that level of details out to a reporter.  Their job is reporting the news and getting the details.  You can't blame a reporter because the GM is an idiot. 

You can doubt all you want.

But, I was off, it was Allen Walsh.

What does Patrick Roy...who retired 15 years ago, have to do with anything? Other than grasping at straws to try and make a dumb point.

12 hours ago, DON said:

You can doubt all you want.

But, I was off, it was Allen Walsh.

What does Patrick Roy...who retired 15 years ago, have to do with anything? Other than grasping at straws to try and make a dumb point.

The dumb point is when you are making a trade were everyone knows that you need to move the player you will not get value in return.  Serge Savard just talked about that when he moved Claude Lemieux.  Reggie Houle did it with Roy and not MB will do it with Max.  The problem was the later created the issue instead of keeping his issues internally and moving the player from position of strength. 

34 minutes ago, Richard09 said:

The dumb point is when you are making a trade were everyone knows that you need to move the player you will not get value in return.  Serge Savard just talked about that when he moved Claude Lemieux.  Reggie Houle did it with Roy and not MB will do it with Max.  The problem was the later created the issue instead of keeping his issues internally and moving the player from position of strength. 

https://montrealgazette.com/sports/hockey/nhl/hockey-inside-out/what-the-puck-canadiens-noxious-atmosphere-has-fans-players-gasping

'It's such a weird culture there.'

In a nutshell, I think the 'weird culture' is a bizarre inability to work constructively with elite, highly-talented players. Subban, Galchenyuk, now Patches...it becomes about ego and PR wars rather than winning. All three players listed were moved, or will be moved, in order to 'get rid of them'...and hey, let's hope the return is OK. It was the same with Cammy (and going furthet back with Ribeiro, Turgeon, of course even Roy, Lemieux, and Chelios). 

It's as though management still thinks it's 1974 and the Habs have so much talent they can afford to be choosy about whivh highly skilled guys they'll keep.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DON said:

So trading Roy is like current situation with Pacioretty?

Who may still play another 500 games for Habs.

Roy went on to play close to 500 games with the Avs, which is quite a bit for a goalie. MB always lowers the value of his players before he trades them which makes no sense. The only valid explanation is he's and idiot and Molson is a bigger one for letting him run the team in to the ground. 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, ehjay said:

MaxPac

v.

J.Eberle and 2nd round pick for the cap save this yr

would that work?

Lateral move at best.
Bring me  a  1st pair LD  and I'll be happy.

• Upvote 2

21 minutes ago, Habopotamus said:

If Bergevin trades Pacioretty for another winger, I'm done cheering for this team 

What if the winger is 10 years younger with a lot of potential?

(Just saying. I agree that a LD should be the name of the game).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Habopotamus said:

If Bergevin trades Pacioretty for another winger, I'm done cheering for this team 

I don't remember the last time you cheered for this team. I thought you were already done :nuts:

• Like 1

16 hours ago, JoeLassister said:

Lateral move at best.
Bring me  a  1st pair LD  and I'll be happy.

I feel that MB is holding his breath for a Unicorn to show up in the draft. Kinda how Subban was a unicorn pick in the 2nd round.

I do not think he will be able to 'plug holes' via trade. I know I know trades are hard and this is not EA whatever. Still I would not be surprised if MB would trade MaxPac at this point for a futur job :(

11 hours ago, Habopotamus said:

Ill always support the Habs, but the pom poms are in the closest at this  point.

Marc Bergevin has torn this team apart. 

I get it, I just could resist :)

My theory not MB is that he is in the middle of a hearth transplant with the CH. Talent-wise, the club is worse off but I can argue he is rebuilding it on different pillars/foundations