Permanent Trade Proposal Thread

dlbalr

22 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I get it, I just could resist :)

My theory not MB is that he is in the middle of a hearth transplant with the CH. Talent-wise, the club is worse off but I can argue he is rebuilding it on different pillars/foundations 

Only a potato would build a team with less talent in favour of intangibles like heart.

• Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I get it, I just could resist :)

My theory not MB is that he is in the middle of a hearth transplant with the CH. Talent-wise, the club is worse off but I can argue he is rebuilding it on different pillars/foundations 

Downgrading talent for 'heart' is the single dumbest managerial strategy there is. It's right up their with Burke building for 'truculence' (although that actually made more sense, in the context of the time).

Besides that...I'm not sure the theory stands up. Subban has tons of 'heart,' gamely overcoming all kinds of obstacles, so that can't be the primary desiratum; perhaps 'players who Bergevin would personally would have liked to play with' is more accurate. Even that doesn't explain why he junked blood-and-guts guys like Markov and Radulov. Nor does it clarify why he traded an elite D prospect for a guy who had publicly protested his treatment in Tampa, and who MB would have shipped out for a 3rd-line grinder had he been a Habs prospect doing the same thing. The sad fact is, Bergevin has no idea what he is doing apart from reacting, usually in ways that reflect the impulses of his own ego.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Downgrading talent for 'heart' is the single dumbest managerial strategy there is. It's right up their with Burke building for 'truculence' (although that actually made more sense, in the context of the time).

Besides that...I'm not sure the theory stands up. Subban has tons of 'heart,' gamely overcoming all kinds of obstacles, so that can't be the primary desiratum; perhaps 'players who Bergevin would personally would have liked to play with' is more accurate. Even that doesn't explain why he junked blood-and-guts guys like Markov and Radulov. Nor does it clarify why he traded an elite D prospect for a guy who had publicly protested his treatment in Tampa, and who MB would have shipped out for a 3rd-line grinder had he been a Habs prospect doing the same thing. The sad fact is, Bergevin has no idea what he is doing apart from reacting, usually in ways that reflect the impulses of his own ego.

Yzerman made out like a bandit in that Drouin trade 

I get that Sergachev rode Tampa's potent offense, but to put up 40+ pts in your rookie season (as a D-man) is impressive.. 

Just an unnecessary trade 

• Like 1

On 9/7/2018 at 11:55 AM, Habopotamus said:

Yzerman made out like a bandit in that Drouin trade 

I get that Sergachev rode Tampa's potent offense, but to put up 40+ pts in your rookie season (as a D-man) is impressive.. 

Just an unnecessary trade 

every GM makes out like a bandit with MB.

On 9/7/2018 at 10:20 AM, Machine of Loving Grace said:

Heart to Bergevin is the movie 300. You might have lost but you played so hard everyone is talking about you instead of the winners.

Blasphemy!!

Never compare anything Bergevin does or thinks to the great Leonidas and his lean, mean, killing machine named the Spartan army and the Phalanx system! 

• 4 weeks later...
5 hours ago, illWill said:

Offer sheet Nylander

Either we get him or we force the Leafs to overpay, win win 

I'm not too sure I would want give up 1st(s) to laffs if we get him :/

Edited by ehjay

8 hours ago, illWill said:

Offer sheet Nylander

Either we get him or we force the Leafs to overpay, win win 

Definitely not a good season to 1) give away picks and 2) boost our lineup.

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

What's your proposed contract for him?

Something around $8M would be a tough pill for them to swallow but they would match it to keep him as a 1/2/3 wouldn't be fair to them for Nylander.

I would rather wait for Matthews though. I would easily offer a Max contract that expires right when he is to become a UFA. 

1 hour ago, JoeLassister said:

Definitely not a good season to 1) give away picks and 2) boost our lineup.

Good point, but Nylander is 22...he might as well be a draft pick, really. And unlike a pick, he is guaranteed to 'hit' because we already know he is an excellent player.

If opening night was any indication, the Habs are not going to 'lose for Hughes.' The team we saw there is one likely to approach a 'bubble team.' But it's true, we'd be taking a big chance on not sucking the big one all season.

Give illWill this much - it's a very interesting idea with considerable merit, but like many such ideas it also has risk. I'll admit to especially liking Nylander, though...I dig that skilled, shifty game he plays.

6 minutes ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

Something around $8M would be a tough pill for them to swallow but they would match it to keep him as a 1/2/3 wouldn't be fair to them for Nylander.

I would rather wait for Matthews though. I would easily offer a Max contract that expires right when he is to become a UFA. 

I seriously doubt the Leafs will let that absolute beast walk away.

16 minutes ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

The Habs would have to cap their offer at five years at that rate if they wanted to stay at the 1/2/3 level.  Those would all be RFA years too which would be a tough pill for the Leafs to swallow.  That's also a pricey cap hit for the Habs (or any team that wanted to offer sheet him) to take on without buying out any UFA season.