Permanent Trade Proposal Thread

dlbalr

1 hour ago, ehjay said:

I was thinking..

anyone think the laffs would trade Marleau and 1st for Plecky (loll again) edit: add maybe something

Pros for laffs they get rid of 6.25 mill on cap to make things happen elsewhere for next year and take less cap hit this year

for Habs, the 1st and C to show how it's done to the young guy on the Team and maybe even how to take face offs to a couple of other folks too.

idk any1 else think might be good?

Will never happen. Marleau would retire before going to a rebuilding team

2 hours ago, ehjay said:

I was thinking..

anyone think the laffs would trade Marleau and 1st for Plecky (loll again) edit: add maybe something

Pros for laffs they get rid of 6.25 mill on cap to make things happen elsewhere for next year and take less cap hit this year

for Habs, the 1st and C to show how it's done to the young guy on the Team and maybe even how to take face offs to a couple of other folks too.

idk any1 else think might be good?

As much as I'd like to see that happen, the Leafs would surely say no.  Marleau is worth more than Plekanec.  I also doubt Marleau waives his NMC to go to Montreal.  If Marleau were to waive his NMC it would likely be to a legit contender.  The Leafs have a better shot at the Cup this year and next than the Habs.

25 minutes ago, Commandant said:

they might move him then, or he might develop some mysterious condition where he is on IR next year (when his salary dips low). 

I think their plan was to LTIR him when he initially signed but considering he hasn't missed a game since 2008-09, I'm intrigued to see how they're going to try to sell that one.  'Sure, he hasn't missed a game in a decade but it's clear this injury/illness will keep him from playing the entirety of the season and thus we can place him on LTIR'.  Teams have already questioned Toronto's usage of LTIR in recent years and they'll be keeping even closer tabs if they do this with Marleau.

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

Leafs don't move Marleau before the off-season IMO. 

they might move him then, or he might develop some mysterious condition where he is on IR next year (when his salary dips low). 

45 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

I think their plan was to LTIR him when he initially signed but considering he hasn't missed a game since 2008-09, I'm intrigued to see how they're going to try to sell that one.  'Sure, he hasn't missed a game in a decade but it's clear this injury/illness will keep him from playing the entirety of the season and thus we can place him on LTIR'.  Teams have already questioned Toronto's usage of LTIR in recent years and they'll be keeping even closer tabs if they do this with Marleau.

If they are moving him, I bet they'll trade him back to San Jose for peanuts, and he'll take Thornton's spot on the roster for his final year.

It's been a while since I posted an actual proposal so here goes:

To Montreal: LW/RW Valentin Zykov ($675K cap hit through 2019-20, one-way deal)

To Carolina: LW/RW Nikita Scherbak ($863K cap hit through 2018-19)

Basically, a swap of two similar waiver-blocked youngsters who could use a change of scenery.  Carolina is listening to offers on Zykov and with the number of scouts that were at Scherbak's first game in Laval, it's fair to surmise that Montreal is open to moving Scherbak as well.  Zykov's a right-hand shot which is nice on a team that's lacking in those up front.

• 4 weeks later...

Being that the Habs have their most depth with right-handed defensemen, and those are generally more in demand than left-handed defensemen, maybe they should consider seeing if Juulsen can net them that mythical D partner for Weber?

10 minutes ago, Trizzak said:

Being that the Habs have their most depth with right-handed defensemen, and those are generally more in demand than left-handed defensemen, maybe they should consider seeing if Juulsen can net them that mythical D partner for Weber?

Better off moving Petry, because the return will be much higher. Petry to a contender could yield a key piece going forward.; and his value is probably at its peak right about now.

31 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Better off moving Petry, because the return will be much higher. Petry to a contender could yield a key piece going forward.; and his value is probably at its peak right about now.

The return would be higher. And everything else being equal, I would much rather keep Juulsen at 21 than Petry at 30.

29 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Yes, would prefer to hold on to Juulsen and to lesser extent even Petry, and just trade a winger-package for LH young(ish) top 4 or blue chip d-man. Maybe use Tatar, Shaw, or Hudon instead.

10 minutes ago, DON said:

Yes, would prefer to hold on to Juulsen and to lesser extent even Petry, and just trade a winger-package for LH young(ish) top 4 or blue chip d-man. Maybe use Tatar, Shaw, or Hudon instead.

I doubt that Tatar or Shaw would yield a young top-4 LD - but there is no telling what kind of stupidity lurks in the heart of Cup-hungry GMs at deadline time, so who knows. But I can really see a team moving a high-quality LD prospect for Petry if they feel that adding a #2 d-man is the final piece to their Cup puzzle.

21 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I doubt that Tatar or Shaw would yield a young top-4 LD - but there is no telling what kind of stupidity lurks in the heart of Cup-hungry GMs at deadline time, so who knows. But I can really see a team moving a high-quality LD prospect for Petry if they feel that adding a #2 d-man is the final piece to their Cup puzzle.

And that perception (the cup is so close the GMs think they can almost touch it) is our biggest opportunity to get our piece of the young D puzzle for a reasonable price. I think (and hope) that we won't rush into any rash trades at this point, the trade deadline is when we want to be in a position to do so.

12 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

And that perception (the cup is so close the GMs think they can almost touch it) is our biggest opportunity to get our piece of the young D puzzle for a reasonable price. I think (and hope) that we won't rush into any rash trades at this point, the trade deadline is when we want to be in a position to do so.

I think it's more realistic that the Habs will be close enough to the playoff bubble at deadline time that our knuckle-dragging GM decides that trading a key player like Petry is unthinkable, since "our goal is to make the playoffs."

5 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I think it's more realistic that the Habs will be close enough to the playoff bubble at deadline time that our knuckle-dragging GM decides that trading a key player like Petry is unthinkable, since "our goal is to make the playoffs."

Ugh. But I admit that is definitely a non-zero probability.

23 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Agree.  If the Habs are close to the playoffs I could see them being buyers at the deadline.

1 hour ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

as long as we are not buying rentals ... why not?

Sure,

Just dont think they will be dealing picks-prospects for a rental.

2 hours ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

Deadline buyers are usually buying short-term gain for long-term pain. With the promise of youth that we have today, we should be on the other side of that equation, taking advantage of some desperate buyer to get a high-quality D prospect or two.

4 hours ago, DON said:

Why?

When was the last time that they weren't buyers at the deadline when in the playoff race.  It's just what they typically do.  If they are still in the race for a playoff spot at the deadline it will interesting to see if they continue the rebuild.

4 hours ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

I can get behind this.  It would have to be a long term fix (like a player in his early 20s that would be with us for a long time).  Habs aren't likely to be serious contenders for a few years so it would be nice to have players that will be just entering their prime around that time.  Lets make the future window of opportunity to win a Cup (or several Cups) as long as possible.

8 hours ago, John B said:

When was the last time that they weren't buyers at the deadline when in the playoff race.  It's just what they typically do.  If they are still in the race for a playoff spot at the deadline it will interesting to see if they continue the rebuild.

Been awhile since will likely be in same position come end of Feb, i am thinking 15-20th, when they have been buyers they have been solidly in a playoff slot (1st-4th in the East), when they have been out they obviously havent.

When was the last time they have been out of playoffs and wasted picks/prospects...been the opposite and Bergevin has been very conservative (too conservative to many), sold 2nd picks for Petry and Vanek, but were locks to make playoffs.

Well, the deadline brings two dangers to a rebuilding team on the playoff bubble.

One is that the team will trade picks or youth for immediate help. Now I agree if we get a 25-year old, that's one thing. But getting a veteran for young assets would be a terrible idea.

The other, subtler danger is that the team will pass on valuable opportunities to manage assets in such a way as to really propel the rebuild. For example, I suggest above that we might look to move Petry for a high-ceiling LD prospect. I don't know if that's a deal that's realistic. But if it is, then the Habs should do it. Petry's value is at maximum and the organization has huge holes on LD. Such a deal would make us worse in the short term but we'd add a key piece for the medium- to longer-term. 

I don't know if even MB is dumb enough to trade youth for short-term help, but I'll be extremely surprised if he 'sticks with the plan' to the extent of trading a key veteran for a quality young asset, even though doing so would be more likely to make us contenders going forward.

12 hours ago, DON said:

Sure,

Just dont think they will be dealing picks-prospects for a rental.

What if they used their cap space to absorb a rental player though?  For example, St. Louis has Bouwmeester and Gunnarsson that are on expiring deals.  They don't have a lot of value but would be able to give the Habs some extra depth at the deadline.  If the Blues wanted to make a move to add salary, they'd need to move one of those two first so the cost to Montreal should be negligible at best as they'd be facilitating the trade for St. Louis.  I'd be okay with a move like that if they're still within striking distance of a playoff spot.

2 hours ago, dlbalr said:

What if they used their cap space to absorb a rental player though?  For example, St. Louis has Bouwmeester and Gunnarsson that are on expiring deals.  They don't have a lot of value but would be able to give the Habs some extra depth at the deadline.  If the Blues wanted to make a move to add salary, they'd need to move one of those two first so the cost to Montreal should be negligible at best as they'd be facilitating the trade for St. Louis.  I'd be okay with a move like that if they're still within striking distance of a playoff spot.

Totally different story than dealing away future assets for a playoff run.