Permanent Trade Proposal Thread

dlbalr

3 hours ago, dlbalr said:

What if they used their cap space to absorb a rental player though?  For example, St. Louis has Bouwmeester and Gunnarsson that are on expiring deals.  They don't have a lot of value but would be able to give the Habs some extra depth at the deadline.  If the Blues wanted to make a move to add salary, they'd need to move one of those two first so the cost to Montreal should be negligible at best as they'd be facilitating the trade for St. Louis.  I'd be okay with a move like that if they're still within striking distance of a playoff spot.

Indeed. Such a move would arguably *help* the rebuild, if it helped to get into the playoffs and acquire valuable post-season experience. Given that we'd be a bubble team anyway, we'd be slated for a middling pick regardless, so it's not like a deal of thins kind would ruin a tank-job.

as long as the deal is not a rental and that player is a signed commodity, i'm ALL FOR upgrading this team at any time as long as the deal is of value (meaning we are not bamboozled) 

Would i trade good assets for Zack Werenski? Slavin?  f'N right i would!

Jake Muzzin? nothing blue chip thats for sure

a pending UFA like Karlsonn or Myers: absolutely not, unless the deal involved compensation if we signed him long term.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, nihilz said:

TJ Brodie

Schlemko Mete 3rd 2019 3rd 2020

Not Mete or any of the young Dmen on Team, plz

3rd picks and lower; sure

Dont think calgary is interested in moving a top four defenceman for schlemko plus futures.  They are battling for first in their division.  Why are they moving him to get a 20 year old d, two thirds, and a cap dump?

21 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Dont think calgary is interested in moving a top four defenceman for schlemko plus futures.  They are battling for first in their division.  Why are they moving him to get a 20 year old d, two thirds, and a cap dump?

Because they are Habs fans?

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Trizzak said:

Because they are Habs fans?

Dude... There is no one  who's less fan of anything Montréal based than people living in Alberta... :D

31 minutes ago, JoeLassister said:

Dude... There is no one  who's less fan of anything Montréal based than people living in Alberta... :D

You're forgetting about our old pal Habs29!!

4 hours ago, Commandant said:

Brodie was seriously out of favor with Calgary fans and was a healthy scratch earlier in the season. Has he worked his way back into the coaching staff’s good books?

16 minutes ago, PMAC said:

Brodie was seriously out of favor with Calgary fans and was a healthy scratch earlier in the season. Has he worked his way back into the coaching staff’s good books?

He's played in every game this season and is still logging over 21 minutes per night.  I don't think he's really been out of their good books.  I'll also add that while he is a left-shot defender, I remember reading recently that he has stated in the past that he prefers to play the right side.

Michael Faber suggested on TSN that the Canadiens should explore a deal like Mete for Muzzin. Muzzin is 29 and not ufa this year so how about: 

to

LA Mete, a 4th and a prospect ( not named Brook, or Suzuki)

to 

Mtl Muzzin

9 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

He's played in every game this season and is still logging over 21 minutes per night.  I don't think he's really been out of their good books.  I'll also add that while he is a left-shot defender, I remember reading recently that he has stated in the past that he prefers to play the right side.

I stand corrected. I thought he had sat out

14 hours ago, PMAC said:

Michael Faber suggested on TSN that the Canadiens should explore a deal like Mete for Muzzin. Muzzin is 29 and not ufa this year so how about: 

to

LA Mete, a 4th and a prospect ( not named Brook, or Suzuki)

to 

Mtl Muzzin

Muzzin will be 30 before the playoffs start.

The habs are still in rebuild mode.  Adding Muzzin is not enough to win a cup.

I have no interest in making moves to win now and sacrificing Mete and another prospect for a guy who is 10 years older.

Makes no sense for building this team IMO

20 hours ago, JoeLassister said:

I work in alberta. In the north there are Oilers fans followed by equal numbers of leafs and hand fans. There are habs fans everywhere there. 

2 hours ago, Commandant said:

I have no interest in making moves to win now and sacrificing Mete and another prospect for a guy who is 10 years older.

For sure. When a young player can join the team and make an impact for a couple years before he gets that huge raise, it is a big benefit in a cap system. I like the idea of having strong prospects developing in the farm. Trading them to win now disrupts that balance. If you end up with a surplus,  then you trade to fill a weakness. Right now it may look like there is a surplus of right handed defensemen, but Petry and Weber are the only top 4. Montreal only have a surplus of bottom pair defense and bottom 6 wingers. No matter how you package them, that's what you're getting back unless you're willing to trade away your top 4, top 6 prospects or 1st round picks. The time for trades is not now IMO.

3 hours ago, Commandant said:

I think it depends on how you value Mete. If he develops into a top 4 d maybe you are right. If not, maybe you make the deal. My crystal ball is foggy on Mete’s potential but it doesn’t seem that he has the offensive chops for top 2. Does the rest of his game push him into the top 4? If not, we have a plethora of 5-6 D men and they are not difficult to acquire if you need one. 

8 minutes ago, PMAC said:

I think it depends on how you value Mete. If he develops into a top 4 d maybe you are right. If not, maybe you make the deal. My crystal ball is foggy on Mete’s potential but it doesn’t seem that he has the offensive chops for top 2. Does the rest of his game push him into the top 4? If not, we have a plethora of 5-6 D men and they are not difficult to acquire if you need one. 

I think Mete, Kulak and Reilly are similar LDs, with more or less the same upside. I think they will be left unprotected in the expansion draft and from now until then will be rotated up and down the lineup. I do not think any of them will be traded because they will not fetch a better LD. 

25 minutes ago, PMAC said:

When you are rebuilding, the best strategy is to have numbers.  Have lots of prospects.  Lots of lottery tickets.  If Mete makes top 4, great.  If he doesn't, one of your others does.  The idea here is to hoard prospects.  If we want to finish this rebuild, we need to add prospects at the defence position, not trade them away for guys who are 10 years older. 

Mete should be one of many. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, Commandant said:

When you are rebuilding, the best strategy is to have numbers.  Have lots of prospects.  Lots of lottery tickets.  If Mete makes top 4, great.  If he doesn't, one of your others does.  The idea here is to hoard prospects.  If we want to finish this rebuild, we need to add prospects at the defence position, not trade them away for guys who are 10 years older.

This.

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

Mete should be one of many. 

I’m not saying that we should go all in, but if Mete for Muzzin accelerates the “re-set” it should be considered. Don’t get me wrong, the last thing I want the team to do is to make an ill-advised trade, but again it depends on where they see Mete’s ceiling, and most importantly— that their assessment is correct.

1 hour ago, PMAC said:

I’m not saying that we should go all in, but if Mete for Muzzin accelerates the “re-set” it should be considered. Don’t get me wrong, the last thing I want the team to do is to make an ill-advised trade, but again it depends on where they see Mete’s ceiling, and most importantly— that their assessment is correct.

I don't think now is the time to try and accelerate things by getting a 30 year old defenceman.  We are not near close enough on that. 

Which is why I lean towards, keep the kid, and prove your assessment correct or incorrect.  Stay on the side of keeping the future assets because this move is not making us a contender.  

If we are talking a 24 year old dman instead of a guy who turns 30 in february, then yeah, i can see moving Mete. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Habopotamus said:

I was just looking at calgary's cap situation. I wonder if they could be a team that Bergevin works a deal out with. I doubt  they want to lose any prospects,  but they have a couple quality d in their system 

What crappy contract would they send us?

I'm not sure i see an obvious short term deal like we had with Winnipeg and Mason. 

I'd look at St. Louis (Bouwmeester or Gunnarsson), Buffalo (Moulson), Dallas (Methot), Tampa (Girardi or Cobourn)  as guys who will be UFA this summer.